ewallo


quality posts: 12 Private Messages ewallo
abhiram9605 wrote:i am new to wine woot. i wanted to know what is the expected delivery time to austin, texas.
thank you



It would be deliverd one day next week.

Loweeel


quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
themostrighteous wrote:love that that bit of Italian made it into your otherwise perfect Spanish rendering! :D



Blame the wine or my variant of ESL (español segunda lengua), or the combination thereof.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

abhiram9605


quality posts: 0 Private Messages abhiram9605

thanks. i am in for 1.

MaskedMarvel


quality posts: 11 Private Messages MaskedMarvel
ewallo wrote:Then you've definately got the right brain to enjoy this unique Californian Malbec.



This reply is pure awesomeness. HA!!

davirom


quality posts: 10 Private Messages davirom

Since there has been some discussion of closures, I would be interested in the community (and winemakers') take on glass:

http://www.vino-lok.de/

wolfean


quality posts: 5 Private Messages wolfean
abhiram9605 wrote:i am new to wine woot. i wanted to know what is the expected delivery time to austin, texas.
thank you



i am in houston, and for the most part it arrives in about 7-10 days from ordering..

SonomaBouliste


quality posts: 234 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
davirom wrote:Since there has been some discussion of closures, I would be interested in the community (and winemakers') take on glass:

http://www.vino-lok.de/



Elegant, expensive, hard to apply, concerns about small glass chips, no oxygen permeability.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
SonomaBouliste wrote:Elegant, expensive, hard to apply, concerns about small glass chips, no oxygen permeability.



And there you go.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

billmort


quality posts: 0 Private Messages billmort

I'm in for one for the Petite Verdot alone. Here are the notes I dug up from my first experience with a bottle of PV.

2004 Dog Ridge Petite Verdot: Glass-stainingly blue/black violet. Mulberries, rose, and violet nose gushing out of the glass. Rich blackberry and tart cherry fruit flavors, smokey, peppery. Long finish with spice and mineral remnants.

It was picked top of the heap at an Aussie Red Tasting Party I brought it out for. I haven't found another 100% PV again until this one.

aliengar0


quality posts: 0 Private Messages aliengar0

ordering mine now - thanks mainly to the commentary from ewallo and a few others

...and well the price =]

yellowroe


quality posts: 6 Private Messages yellowroe

Finally got my bottle of Malbec and since it had bubbles at the top I needed to let it sit and rest just as I was told. After about three hours and it warmed up a little (Houston had a cold front come in) I opened the bottle. Oh decanted it for about 1/2 hr. First impression was the nose was wonderful. Smelled like black cherries and very distinctive. Legs were very good on the sides of the glass It was definitely a full bodied wine and very dark in color. Tannins were just right. I dislike strong tannins and this was perfect and very smooth.
As I mentioned before, I only tried Argentina Malbec and this was definitely in the same class of the malbecs that I have had in the past.
I only had one glass and hubby isn't home yet but I wanted to get this out to you before the end of time to buy.
Thank you for giving me the golden ticket.

psmurf


quality posts: 1 Private Messages psmurf

Is there only 1 "official" rat(Nostrom0) checking in?
And of course, INTLGerard's early volrat report.
??
My Roessler Winery Pinot Noir Trio is stuck in Indy due to adverse weather conditions(snow and freezing temps). Maybe some of the labrats' rewards/awards are stuck somewhere as well?
~now how many of today's offering do I want?~

edit: Thanks yellowroe for the report(above).

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
Neil Peart(of Rush)

ewallo


quality posts: 12 Private Messages ewallo
yellowroe wrote:Finally got my bottle of Malbec and since it had bubbles at the top I needed to let it sit and rest just as I was told. After about three hours and it warmed up a little (Houston had a cold front come in) I opened the bottle. Oh decanted it for about 1/2 hr. First impression was the nose was wonderful. Smelled like black cherries and very distinctive. Legs were very good on the sides of the glass It was definitely a full bodied wine and very dark in color. Tannins were just right. I dislike strong tannins and this was perfect and very smooth.
As I mentioned before, I only tried Argentina Malbec and this was definitely in the same class of the malbecs that I have had in the past.
I only had one glass and hubby isn't home yet but I wanted to get this out to you before the end of time to buy.
Thank you for giving me the golden ticket.



Yes Malbec is very distinctive. Very happy you enjoyed your glass; hope you got another one or so.
Surprised you didn't notice blueberry as that is another element. Most vintages our Malbec sell out very quickly and we're sold out for more than half the year and have to disappoint. Probably happen with this one....
E Wallo, proprietor

ewallo


quality posts: 12 Private Messages ewallo
billmort wrote:I'm in for one for the Petite Verdot alone. Here are the notes I dug up from my first experience with a bottle of PV.

2004 Dog Ridge Petite Verdot: Glass-stainingly blue/black violet. Mulberries, rose, and violet nose gushing out of the glass. Rich blackberry and tart cherry fruit flavors, smokey, peppery. Long finish with spice and mineral remnants.

It was picked top of the heap at an Aussie Red Tasting Party I brought it out for. I haven't found another 100% PV again until this one.



Petit Verdot translates as "little greenie." Likely named because it is a very late ripener and thus the last go through verasion from green to red. Again, why most farmers won't plant it. Thanks, E Wallo, proprietor

ewallo


quality posts: 12 Private Messages ewallo
njgolfer wrote:I have some Yorkville Richard the Lionheart that I picked up in California a couple of years back. It is a fantastic wine and would expect these to be as equally good!



Very glad you liked the wine. Thanks for the positive feedback. Richard is the blend of all six red Bordeaux varietals. Kinda Cain 5 plus one.

It is most fun thing we do each year - the blending trials to make the best wine possible from our best barrels of what mother nature provided that vintage.
E Wallo, proprietor

tomaste


quality posts: 13 Private Messages tomaste

In for 1!

Never tasted Petit Verdot, or Malbec! Looking forward to the shipment.

Wish I had more time to make another order in a month or so when I have the budget for more. ;)

Any chance you'll honor the wooter's price later on ewallo? I've had that offer from two other woot orders. The Scott Harvey Inzinerator, and the Cathedral Ridge Pinot Gris.

Really looking forward to this one!

mother


quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
ewallo wrote:Very glad you liked the wine. Thanks for the positive feedback. Richard is the blend of all six red Bordeaux varietals. Kinda Cain 5 plus one.

It is most fun thing we do each year - the blending trials to make the best wine possible from our best barrels of what mother nature provided that vintage.
E Wallo, proprietor



Far be it for me to suggest how you or WD run your businesses, but here goes:

Let's say a couple of bottles of Richard The Lion-heart... forty-something plus shipping... sometime in the late winter...
Just sounds like the right thing to do, doesn't it?

[BTW In for 1, even though I'm driving from CT to NY to pick it up]

McMalbec


quality posts: 8 Private Messages McMalbec

In the end, I can't resist the Californian Malbec. Look forward to tasting it with its Argentinian sisters.

burrnini


quality posts: 10 Private Messages burrnini
ewallo wrote:Would be willing to bet that you'd like this Malbec. In our tasting room where people get to taste these side by side, the percentage who don't like the Malbec is very tiny.

These are relatively new releases, so they do not yet have accolades. But prior vintages of these from our same vineyard have won many gold medals and double gold medals in the major wine competitions and as high as 93 points. That's why to consider purchasing from a small-lot, vineyard designated north coast producer - every bit of TLC possible is put into the wine.




thanks for the prompt response!

seeing as how most of the malbecs i've bought are random (read: cheap) argentinian wines, i think i might have to accept your bet. the question now is, what are we betting?

it doesn't really matter...i've already bought one the petit verdot just proved too interesting to pass up

burrnini


quality posts: 10 Private Messages burrnini
jplamb wrote:That's funny that mention the Ballentine Petit Verdot, I have 7 bottles of that in my wine cellar.




haha...I now wish I had bought that many.

boatman72


quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72
kylemittskus wrote:I'm trying man... It sounds soooo good.



I know what you are saying. My fingers are cramping, got the sweats, and I'm starting to drool! That button keeps looking bigger and bigger, then I just keep thinking about all of those boxes stacked up against the basement wall.

Loweeel


quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel

Clues?

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

nniesen


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nniesen

Stupid dumb wine.woot! I got to taste three of a friends Esoterica Port six pack (yummy) a few weeks ago and decided to take another look at the offerings. I've only had this account for 2 weeks and with today's 2fer order (because of all your reports on how hard these are to find) I have 4 woots and 15 bottles of wine to drink. How about some cheap crumby wine next week; like I usually end up with when I take a stab in the dark at a liquor store?

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

So no cloo... but the rats are packed Except for the cab franc rat, who appears to be AWOL. Unless I've just missed it somewhere.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

afranke


quality posts: 10 Private Messages afranke

No clues = not wine?

NObbards


quality posts: 3 Private Messages NObbards

I love Petit Verdot. Did anyone else have that one that Trader Joe's had over the summer? I was sad to see it go, but, alas, they ran out and it was a limited run. I'm waiting for more vineyards to make a carignan instead of it purely being a blending grape. As I'm a vegetarian, the Malbec won't pair to well with anything. Oh well.

jplamb


quality posts: 15 Private Messages jplamb

I held out until the last minute....


Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: MaskedMarvel
Speed to first woot: 0m 14.720s
Last wooter to woot: jplamb

gcdyersb


quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb
NObbards wrote:I love Petit Verdot. Did anyone else have that one that Trader Joe's had over the summer? I was sad to see it go, but, alas, they ran out and it was a limited run. I'm waiting for more vineyards to make a carignan instead of it purely being a blending grape. As I'm a vegetarian, the Malbec won't pair to well with anything. Oh well.



I had it. It turns out it came from Ancient Peaks Winery in Paso Robles. Their varietal PV now sells for $35 or $40, so the TJs stuff must have been the PV that didn't cut it at that price.

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

safety1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages safety1
cheron98 wrote:So no cloo... but the rats are packed Except for the cab franc rat, who appears to be AWOL. Unless I've just missed it somewhere.



Funny, I did get a call from UPS stating I had an overnight (Maybe the Cab Franc) but as of this a.m. no delivery. We have had a lot of snow in central NY, buit can't beleive it would slow down UPS!

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
safety1 wrote:Funny, I did get a call from UPS stating I had an overnight (Maybe the Cab Franc) but as of this a.m. no delivery. We have had a lot of snow in central NY, buit can't beleive it would slow down UPS!



Ah well, whenever you get it, there's a spot waiting in the ratpack thread for you

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

safety1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages safety1
cheron98 wrote:Ah well, whenever you get it, there's a spot waiting in the ratpack thread for you



Finally got a call from the local UPS....It's on the truck today should have it this evening!

philpotpie


quality posts: 0 Private Messages philpotpie
wolfean wrote:i am in houston, and for the most part it arrives in about 7-10 days from ordering..



Yeah, that sounds about right for me, too, in Houston.

On another note, January was my wine.woot birth-month, so I was holding out for something I would like... this is my cake.

Glad I didn't hold out for longer... not that there is anything wrong with wine truffles, but I want my wine in bottles!

ewallo


quality posts: 12 Private Messages ewallo
McMalbec wrote:In the end, I can't resist the Californian Malbec. Look forward to tasting it with its Argentinian sisters.



Remember that the Agrentinian Malbecs are generally grown at several thousand feet altitute under pretty hot and dry conditions plus their winemaking expertise could arguably called more variable.

gcdyersb


quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb
ewallo wrote:Remember that the Agrentinian Malbecs are generally grown at several thousand feet altitute under pretty hot and dry conditions plus their winemaking expertise could arguably called more variable.



Argentinian Malbecs I've noticed tend to be very mellow, almost silky, and very fruit forward. The cheaper ones maybe take this too far to where they're a little sweet and similar to low-end Merlot.

I'm very much looking forward to your Malbec. I'm really hoping there's just a hint of "forest floor" to it. Of course fruit (blueberry, plum, yum!) comes first and that's the important part, but I do like some complimentary "green" aspects. Your Cab Franc having jalapeno pepper as a descriptor was a big selling point for me!

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

billmort


quality posts: 0 Private Messages billmort

D- for the winery's shipping department. According to the UPS tracking link this order sat at the winery for eight days before it was ever loaded on a UPS truck. My Corison order has already arrived in NC while this one from the previous week is still in transit.

artulo


quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
billmort wrote:D- for the winery's shipping department. According to the UPS tracking link this order sat at the winery for eight days before it was ever loaded on a UPS truck. My Corison order has already arrived in NC while this one from the previous week is still in transit.



At least you know that it's in transit. Mine still states "Billing Information Recieved".

Any updates on shipping here??

bberth84


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bberth84

It's been nearly two weeks since the billing info has been sent and still no updates to the shipping status.

What gives Woot?

psmurf


quality posts: 1 Private Messages psmurf

I ordered early, and mine is due to arrive tomorrow. Depending when you ordered and where you are... you should get the stash by end of this week or mid next week(Thur or Fri at latest)??... although I'm just speaking from experience here.
This should be worth the wait.

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
Neil Peart(of Rush)

artulo


quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
psmurf wrote:I ordered early, and mine is due to arrive tomorrow. Depending when you ordered and where you are... you should get the stash by end of this week or mid next week(Thur or Fri at latest)??... although I'm just speaking from experience here.
This should be worth the wait.



Mine was an early first day order (1/26). I understand that shipping six bottles of wine across the country for five bucks is a bargain, but how about an update? Has there been a delay to certain states because of weather or what?

Winedavid39


quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

artulo wrote:Mine was an early first day order (1/26). I understand that shipping six bottles of wine across the country for five bucks is a bargain, but how about an update? Has there been a delay to certain states because of weather or what?




yes, if you are in Minnesota or Wisonsin packages have been held. for updates you can check out world of woot. The packages to those states were released today.

thanks,