Krugsters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters
rpm wrote:Good idea!

WD -- HOW ABOUT A LABRATTY TO THE NYC TASTING CREW THIS SATURDAY!!! Combine that with the CHICAGO CREW and we'll have some serious notes AND some really serious good community building -- an encouragement to folks to woot.up together!

Ask and ye shall receive...

The NYC crew has received their Golden Ticket for the Savoy...

THANKS WD & WF!!

Now to serve this before or after the aged wines???? What are the Chicago folks doing??

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05
Krugsters wrote: Now to serve this before or after the aged wines???? What are the Chicago folks doing??

Are you crazy?!?! It's a young Pinot. Obviously before... but leave enough for everybody to have 1 more taste. Then post some notes. Then do your aged wine tasting. Then finish drinking all the aged wine. THEN taste the remainder. Then post your after tasting notes.

The rest of us who are envious because we couldn't make your tasting will revel in the comedic differences.... I'm sorry was that my out loud voice.. I meant insightful differences between the two. ;-)

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

rpm

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rpm
Krugsters wrote:Ask and ye shall receive...

THANKS WD & WF!!

Now to serve this before or after the aged wines???? What are the Chicago folks doing??

Before. BUT, there should be something to eat and cleanse the palate, and a break, before the old wines.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

Krugsters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters
spdrcr05 wrote:Are you crazy?!?! ;-)

This was tongue in cheek guys...geez....

Anyway... been catching up on this thread since I have forbidden myself from reading the current offering posts for weeks.
I am ALWAYS tempted to cave and we need to pay for cribs, car seats, bottles, 2 college educations....you know how it goes...and then there's my winebid bin ends problem.

It was a complete surprise when I opened the Fed-Ex box and saw the Savoy. I nearly called my husband to accuse him of wooting behind my back.
Little did I know of the TMR/Speeedo/RPM la brattage conversation going on.

Up to speed now...

crabbyman22

quality posts: 6 Private Messages crabbyman22
themostrighteous wrote:(please refer to image directly above.)

Resistance is futile...

"Alcohol-the cause of,and solution to,all of life's problems"
Homer(Simpson)

crabbyman22

quality posts: 6 Private Messages crabbyman22
crabbyman22 wrote:Resistance is futile...

Sorry,image is on the page before.I have 12 bottles of pn coming next week,6 different kinds,and now someone has me interested in ps wines.

"Alcohol-the cause of,and solution to,all of life's problems"
Homer(Simpson)

kjc5050

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kjc5050

aaarrrggghhhhhh!! Anyone know why Nebraska has suddenly vanished from the eligible states list? I ordered earlier in the week and no problem - tonight, no dice. YIKES! Anyone from Woot know what's going on here??

Kevin J Connolly

nematic

quality posts: 6 Private Messages nematic

Question for the winemakers and other pros out there. There are all sorts of tricks and ways for rapidly chilling a wine - but what to do if you pull a bottle of red from the fridge, and want to bring it UP to drinking temp rapidly. I wonder this as I wistfully gaze at a too cold-bottle of shiraz and a friend on the way over for drinks.

boaz38

quality posts: 2 Private Messages boaz38
nematic wrote:Question for the winemakers and other pros out there. There are all sorts of tricks and ways for rapidly chilling a wine - but what to do if you pull a bottle of red from the fridge, and want to bring it UP to drinking temp rapidly. I wonder this as I wistfully gaze at a too cold-bottle of shiraz and a friend on the way over for drinks.

First, pour the wine in the glasses, your hands will initially warm the vino. Next, take the wine and pour it into a decanter. If no decanter, find your largest "pyrex" measuring cup and pour the wine in there.

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm
nematic wrote:Question for the winemakers and other pros out there. There are all sorts of tricks and ways for rapidly chilling a wine - but what to do if you pull a bottle of red from the fridge, and want to bring it UP to drinking temp rapidly. I wonder this as I wistfully gaze at a too cold-bottle of shiraz and a friend on the way over for drinks.

Hey Nematic,

i thoroughly enjoy letting a wine open up just by the warmth of my hand. Patience pays off.

WD

nematic

winefarm wrote:Hey Nematic,

i thoroughly enjoy letting a wine open up just by the warmth of my hand. Patience pays off.

WD

(in whiny 8 y.o voice) But I want patience to pay off NOW!

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm
nematic wrote:(in whiny 8 y.o voice) But I want patience to pay off NOW!

Heh, get's better every sip. Sam Sebastiani told me once he put's his in the microwave for like 9 seconds ( don't quote me ..)

WD

nniesen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nniesen
labROUS wrote:
I favor a five point system: undrinkable, noticeably flawed but drinkable, average, above average, exceptional. Beyond that it comes down to personal preference more than anything else.

Hmm..., not sure I should ask, but where do these wines rate on your 5 point system.

KryseeMac

quality posts: 2 Private Messages KryseeMac

Hey! Sorry for the interruption - I'm helping JudyL1118 with an update on our wine.woot group page on Facebook. You can follow the link in my signature line, or if you're already a group member, please check into the forum for just a moment? Thanks!

nematic

winefarm wrote:Heh, get's better every sip. Sam Sebastiani told me once he put's his in the microwave for like 9 seconds ( don't quote me ..)

WD

I ended up using a slowish heat from stove, with bottle nearby. Yeah, it kinda worked. Thinking this could be my opening for some expensive gadget, like those 200 buck single bottle wine chillers that williams sonoma sells. Btw, do they have a store in sonoma?

Shapley

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Shapley

I think pouring and hand warming does the trick well enough, and while I've never tried it, I would be hesitant to use the microwave method, only in that high heat can rapidly encourage oxidation, and I have enough trouble getting leftovers just the right temperature in the microwave to trust myself not to cook my wine!

If you make the first pour smaller, it could warm a bit more quickly, and you can always call it a tasting experiment. I actually like reds a little cooler than they're often served (and many whites a little warmer than they are often served), and in any case, Mother Nature will help warm the rest of the bottle while you see how the first small pour tastes a little cooler (or you could start with a white to stall...)

Shapley

nematic wrote:I ended up using a slowish heat from stove, with bottle nearby. Yeah, it kinda worked. Thinking this could be my opening for some expensive gadget, like those 200 buck single bottle wine chillers that williams sonoma sells. Btw, do they have a store in sonoma?

Slowish heat from the stove sounds better than quick and hot - it actually does end up being what I passively do when I'm cooking and getting ready to pour wine...

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
rpm wrote:Lucky. I did not get one.

yes you did. just not directly. looking forward to your notes.

ours coming up shortly...

do you know... what biodynamics is?

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
Krugsters wrote:Ask and ye shall receive...

THANKS WD & WF!!

funny you should ask...

VINO: 2006 Roessler Pinot Noir La Encantada Vineyard (USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Rita Hills)

LABRATS: Loweeel, Sparky, cheron, timbyrd, java, oppsie, oppsie's +1 & tmr

WINE EVALUATION:

APPEARANCE (3 MAX): 3 - Excellent - 'Brilliant with outstanding characteristic color.'

AROMA / BOUQUET (6 MAX): 4 1/4 - Good + - 'Characteristic aroma. Complex bouquet. Well balanced.' - candy apple coating & strawberry jolly rancher with a hint of bacon & Rice Chex / cardboard / popcorn & a distinct funk at first.

TASTE / TEXTURE (6 MAX): 4 + - Good + - 'Characteristic grape-variety or wine-type flavor. Good balance. Smooth. May have minor imperfections." - sour cherry leather till the cows come home, fruit roll-up galore & mushroom with herbal notes.

AFTERTASTE (3 MAX): 2 - Good - 'Pleasant aftertaste.' - slightly hollow midpalate yields to an acidic (in a good way) & medicinal (in a good way) finish.

OVERALL IMPRESSION (2 MAX): 1 - Good

TOTAL SCORE 14 1/4 + - Good to Excellent

OUR GROUP'S OVERALL IMPRESSION:

1 of 8 - not a PN person
2 of 8 - not my style of PN
2 of 8 - good
3 of 8 - good to excellent, acidity suggests that it would benefit quite a bit from pairing with food (which we did NOT have it with)

NOTE: the descriptions in quotes ('') for each point rating were copied from the Wine Evaluation Chart of the American Wine Society.

EDIT: on a personal note, i have 47 wine.woots to my name & have NEVER gifted myself an extra order in addition to my main order - until now.

do you know... what biodynamics is?

virtuousvinophile

quality posts: 0 Private Messages virtuousvinophile

Roessler Single Vineyard Pinot Duo
Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: PetiteSirah
Speed to first woot: 0m 30.500s
Last wooter to woot: virtuousvinophile

as i was saying...

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
kylemittskus wrote:Correct. Purchase by 10am est on Monday or Thursday.

Actually, the labrat eligibility deadline is 10:00 AM CST, not est.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
rpm wrote: It's still (and won't ever be) Burgundy, to which one must turn for the greatest Pinot Noir wines

Out of context, this remark, coming from one who has yet to taste these wines, nor any others that may be made in CA in the future, sounds like the words of a total wine snob. Just my 2¢.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 155 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines

Put it in the micro wave. Do one glass at a time incase you warm it up to much. Usually, 10 seconds is enough. The best way to store an open bottle of wine is in the fridge. The colder it is the less oxigen it can absorb. So, then you need to warm it back up if you are only going to have one glass, keeping the rest in the fridge.

kjc5050

Seriously... does anyone know what happened to shipments to Nebraska? I went to ShipCompliantBlog and could find no mention of a change in our laws/restrictions. WD? Anyone?

Kevin J Connolly

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
kjc5050 wrote:Seriously... does anyone know what happened to shipments to Nebraska? I went to ShipCompliantBlog and could find no mention of a change in our laws/restrictions. WD? Anyone?

Each winery has different ship-to states and Roessler doesn't ship to Nebraska.

I believe there was a decent post about it in the last offerings topic...

EDIT: And the Roessler Duo turned me black!

speedoo64

quality posts: 3 Private Messages speedoo64
ddeuddeg wrote:Out of context, this remark, coming from one who has yet to taste these wines, nor any others that may be made in CA in the future, sounds like the words of a total wine snob. Just my 2¢.

Well, rpm and I disagree (strongly) on some things, but I can say without hesitation that he is no wine snob. And this combined with his immense knowledge of wine make his opinions of great value to many of us. His comment on Burgundy vs. new world PN is one that many would agree with, I would guess.

kjc5050

mother wrote:Each winery has different ship-to states and Roessler doesn't ship to Nebraska.

I believe there was a decent post about it in the last offerings topic...

EDIT: And the Roessler Duo turned me black!

Thanks. I'll look for the older post.

Kevin J Connolly

gcdyersb

quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb
ddeuddeg wrote:Out of context, this remark, coming from one who has yet to taste these wines, nor any others that may be made in CA in the future, sounds like the words of a total wine snob. Just my 2¢.

The statement is maybe a little over the top, but not really snobby. When you consider the top Burgundy producers have been figuring out how to express their terroir for centuries, it's amazing that CA Pinot is mentioned is the same breath (a little science goes a long way!). And it may well be apples to oranges since the best Burgundies command huge prices. No one would expect a $30-$40 bottle of wine to match up to a $200 one (though I wouldn't be surprised if they compared very favorably tasted blind).

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 238 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
nniesen wrote:Hmm..., not sure I should ask, but where do these wines rate on your 5 point system.

You're right, you shouldn't ask

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 238 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
Shapley wrote:Slowish heat from the stove sounds better than quick and hot - it actually does end up being what I passively do when I'm cooking and getting ready to pour wine...

A warm room is probably best, but takes a while. I've been known to put a bottle in a sink full of warm (not hot) water.

Shapley

themostrighteous wrote:funny you should ask...

VINO: 2006 Roessler Pinot Noir La Encantada Vineyard (USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Rita Hills)

LABRATS: Loweeel, Sparky, cheron, timbyrd, java, oppsie, oppsie's +1 & tmr

WINE EVALUATION:

APPEARANCE (3 MAX): 3 - Excellent - 'Brilliant with outstanding characteristic color.'

AROMA / BOUQUET (6 MAX): 4 1/4 - Good + - 'Characteristic aroma. Complex bouquet. Well balanced.' - candy apple coating & strawberry jolly rancher with a hint of bacon & Rice Chex / cardboard / popcorn & a distinct funk at first.

TASTE / TEXTURE (6 MAX): 4 + - Good + - 'Characteristic grape-variety or wine-type flavor. Good balance. Smooth. May have minor imperfections." - sour cherry leather till the cows come home, fruit roll-up galore & mushroom with herbal notes.

AFTERTASTE (3 MAX): 2 - Good - 'Pleasant aftertaste.' - slightly hollow midpalate yields to an acidic (in a good way) & medicinal (in a good way) finish.

OVERALL IMPRESSION (2 MAX): 1 - Good

TOTAL SCORE 14 1/4 + - Good to Excellent

OUR GROUP'S OVERALL IMPRESSION:

1 of 8 - not a PN person
2 of 8 - not my style of PN
2 of 8 - good
3 of 8 - good to excellent, acidity suggests that it would benefit quite a bit from pairing with food (which we did NOT have it with)

NOTE: the descriptions in quotes ('') for each point rating were copied from the Wine Evaluation Chart of the American Wine Society.

EDIT: on a personal note, i have 47 wine.woots to my name & have NEVER gifted myself an extra order in addition to my main order - until now.

Thanks for another great, in-depth review. You Labrats work hard!

Scott Shapley
Roessler Cellars

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
ddeuddeg wrote:Actually, the labrat eligibility deadline is 10:00 AM CST, not est.

Oh yeah! Sorry for the misinformation. Texas = central.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

nematic

Shapley wrote:Thanks for another great, in-depth review. You Labrats work hard!

Scott Shapley
Roessler Cellars

will work 4 wine.

oh, wait, already do

Shapley

gcdyersb wrote:The statement is maybe a little over the top, but not really snobby. When you consider the top Burgundy producers have been figuring out how to express their terroir for centuries, it's amazing that CA Pinot is mentioned is the same breath (a little science goes a long way!). And it may well be apples to oranges since the best Burgundies command huge prices. No one would expect a $30-$40 bottle of wine to match up to a $200 one (though I wouldn't be surprised if they compared very favorably tasted blind).

In case I inadvertantly flared the Burgundy in CA debate by one of my earlier comments (I had a hard time tracing the thread back to its origins), I just wanted to make sure that everyone knew that I really wasn't trying to compare Roessler to Burgundy. They are different creatures, and just as Pinot grown in different appellations in California expresses different terroir, it also expresses a different terroir from Burgundy, New Zealand, South Africa... My goal is to make the best California Pinot I can given the way the vineyards and vintages express themselves, and given my personal taste in wine I like to drink.

I love Burgundy, and I love California Pinot as well. I guess it is a little bit of a slippery slope to invoke the word Burgundian, and it certainly wasn't meant in a direct comparative sense, but more as an indicator of a nuance in direction of style for over-simplification purposes.

Maybe we could use burgundian with a lower case "b" to describe some things, but maybe I should just use a few more words and actually describe what I mean.

In any case, I don't think anyone here is a snob - it's all in good fun - and I love hearing what everyone has to say about the wines. They're about expression of terroir, but they're just as much about all of your experiences with them.

This has been a fun blog from wine notes to Jelly Bellies to wine-warming baths - can't wait for what the rest of the day brings...

Scott Shapley
Roessler Cellars

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
Shapley wrote: This has been a fun blog from wine notes to Jelly Bellies to wine-warming baths - can't wait for what the rest of the day brings...

Scott Shapley
Roessler Cellars

As suggested before, we would love you to stick around and participate weekly. Mr. Harvey does as does Peter Wellington. However, I think Scott has become a quasi-addict as well as a wine oracle. Stick around, but be warned, you may start buying.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

wyonel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wyonel

If my wine order is delivered frozen (has'nt happened yet, but the possibility exists for Monday) what is the proper way to deal with the wine and delvery agent (UPS or FEDEX)? Is there a post somewhere on this topic? If so I'll go there. Thanks for any help.

Shapley

kylemittskus wrote:As suggested before, we would love you to stick around and participate weekly. Mr. Harvey does as does Peter Wellington. However, I think Scott has become a quasi-addict as well as a wine oracle. Stick around, but be warned, you may start buying.

This does seem like a really good way to buy wine. Good deals, lots of input, and great conversation... fortunately my wife likes wine, too...

Shapley

wyonel wrote:If my wine order is delivered frozen (has'nt happened yet, but the possibility exists for Monday) what is the proper way to deal with the wine and delvery agent (UPS or FEDEX)? Is there a post somewhere on this topic? If so I'll go there. Thanks for any help.

Peter or Scott H. may have some more direct experience with frozen wine shipments to contribute, but I've been fortunate so far. In the past I've shipped a few things that got cooked, which wasn't good, but no slushies (knock on wood).

I would usually contact the winery, in that in most cases, I think we as wineries should be responsible for not shipping in the dead of winter or the blazing heat of Summer. When I have been involved with shipping, I like to check the weather in the states I intend to ship to, and hold off on shipping to anywhere that's too hot or cold. The styrofoam shippers, un-green though they may be, help a lot in insulating wine from temperature swings, but not for long. In cases when I have shipped to hot or cold temps, I usually like to minimize the shipment time to avoid prolonged exposure to the extremes. While many wineries ship overnight as a metter of practice, I have worked at wineries that ship UPS ground in moderate weather to save money, both when they pay for shipping and when the customer pays.

The winery can work on the UPS or FedEx folks if they sent the wine via a method that should have been safe and then the shipper delayed the wine in a cold or hot warehouse or left it on a doorstep when they shouldn't have.

Not to give us wineries more work to do, but I think it's our deal to sort out.

Hope that helps...

Scott

Josh784

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Josh784

Lab Report - La Encantada Vineyard

I made it home from work and popped the cork on this one at 11pm last night. Poured a glass ten minutes later and let it sit for half an hour. Room temperature was about 65 degrees, and I was using a Riedel Burgundy glass.

This wine has a powerful nose - spicier and more assertive than your typical Pinot Noir. Immediately I picked up on notes of raspberry and strawberry. Later in the night I picked up on small hints of that 'Burgundian' funk.

On the palate, the first thing that stands out for me about this wine is that it's significantly more tannic than your average PN. It has some spicy fruit along with your typical PN strawberry component. It's fairly weighty for a Pinot, in fact the mouthfeel reminds me of Syrah.

I only enjoyed a few glasses last night, so I will update this post tonight after I finish the rest of the bottle. I suspect that this wine might even be better on the second night, if the tannins are able to subside somewhat and integrate with the wine to create a more Pinor Noir-like structure. That's not to say I didn't enjoy drinking this last night, it's a very well crafted wine that makes you think as it is an unusual style for a PN.

Round Two - The Second Night

I left the bottle on the counter overnight and poured myself another sampling about an hour ago. On the first night, this wine almost demanded your attention via its uncanny style for wine made from Pinot Noir. I was unable to settle upon a conclusive assessment of its qualities on night one as it left some lingering questions regarding its structure and prominent characteristics.

Whether it's my palate or any number of other variables, from my perspective this wine has really pulled itself together by the second night. It has lost some dark fruit and alcohol on both the nose and palate, contributing to a less spicy, more Pinot Noir-like wine. The La Encantada is still a big wine by PN standards - it has a strong backbone - however it has evolved to encompass a degree of finesse that I was unable to find when I drank a few glasses last night. There is more of that funky, smelly socks component that I enjoy in my Pinot, and the tannins have subsided to create a softer, more elegant wine. From my point of view, the La Encantada was a bit off balance on night one, possibly due to 'bottle shock' from shipping (I did open it the day it was received, after all). By the second night, however, this has evolved into a wine that I can really appreciate. It's certainly a Pinot Noir, and possesses the elegance and subtleties of that varietal, but I think the terroir of the La Encantada vineyard lends it a very unique and thought provoking style.

rpm

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rpm

The NYC tasting crew labratted the Savoy Vineyard Pinot Noir. We tasted it after a 1998 S. Anderson Blanc de Blanc California sparkling wine and a 1998 Puligny-Montrachet 1er cru white burgundy, and before the 10+ year old reds.

I think Krugsters will be posting our combined notes, taken on modified Davis scorecards. I'd post my own notes, but I left them to be used in the group compiled notes.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!