clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
bahwm wrote:Sparky, any snow near you? We saw the film on the news about Cajon Pass. We drove through there last summer.

Sparky lives far from where snow would ever fall =P

yumitori

quality posts: 22 Private Messages yumitori
KryseeMac wrote:I know that...just being sillie. In the SCA we don't need those but we are not suppose to pull a sword out unless showing it to another.

What's your persona, KryseeMac?

KryseeMac

quality posts: 2 Private Messages KryseeMac
yumitori wrote:What's your persona, KryseeMac?

Early Irish Celt and one is my household who is 1500 Italian. Alan has a Celtic sword about as long as he is tall. Not quite but what a sight when he's running with it raised to whack a raccoon.

Do you have a persona?

yumitori

quality posts: 22 Private Messages yumitori
KryseeMac wrote:
Do you have a persona?

I've gafiated, but you'll find me on the Artemisian Rolls as Yumitori no Kiyoshi. I started out as Aylwin Graham, called the Flamehaired. These days if I show up at an event I'm more likely to wear my Scittish garb, just because...

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk

Since CJ was unable to take advantage of my previous offer...

Anyone flying United for the holidays that wants to be upgraded, PM me. I can upgrade a flight to anywhere in the world, so long as it's United metal, and you're traveling before the end of the year. FWIW, Ted flights cannot be upgraded.

Happy Holidays!

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
bahwm wrote:Sparky, any snow near you? We saw the film on the news about Cajon Pass. We drove through there last summer.

Nah. By the beach, we don't get any. Just a lot of rain right now.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

clayfu wrote:Sparky lives far from where snow would ever fall =P

Not that far .... The snows (mountain) are only about 1.5 hours away .....

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk

I just bought a roomba two pack on juvie... that will bring me up to 5 roombas... though, the batteries are dead on the others, and at $40 a pop to replace, I figure might as well get the whole enchilada... $40 for the batteries and I get 2 walls and another filter and 2 whole chassises for another $35... maybe I can ebay some of the walls... I def don't need 8 of them, and I already have the all-important scheduling package (which works with any roomba, FTTDK)

javadrinker

quality posts: 5 Private Messages javadrinker
cheron98 wrote:There's always Medieval Times. I loves me some Medieval Times

Check out Goldstar Events when it gets closer to your visit out there. The link I put up was for Chicago events but you might need to create an account to browse. I've used them here in So Cal lots of times for discount tix to shows. Looks like you can even get discount Medieval Times tix too.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

javadrinker

quality posts: 5 Private Messages javadrinker
Imagine4vr wrote:If you register free at www.goldstar.com they offer 1/2 price tix for Medieval Times. I am not sure if it's select shows or if you just have to reserve through the site.

Guess I should have read ahead...but that site is worth repeating anyway.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

KryseeMac

yumitori wrote:I've gafiated, but you'll find me on the Artemisian Rolls as Yumitori no Kiyoshi. I started out as Aylwin Graham, called the Flamehaired. These days if I show up at an event I'm more likely to wear my Scittish garb, just because...

I have been on leave myself since I will be going into a wheelchair and that doesn't go over well in the medieval realm. I have a neighing soft horse head when you squeeze it's ears but need to figure out how to do the seat/back of horse to sit on that will be pulling a two-wheeled small wooden cart. Turning the electric chair into a horse is hard but maybe the electric cart I have might be easier....it's the only thing I can think of to get away with having to use something. I even figured out a easy take apart wooden stall so the kids can come and 'feed' the horse. Looks like I am going to have to change up a few centuries though...1300-1500 A.D.

I do have a nice wool 'plaid' I love to wear and I go under the name Alanna the Red....hoping to be Lady Alanna one of these days.

KryseeMac

MarkDaSpark wrote:Nah. By the beach, we don't get any. Just a lot of rain right now.

That's what get me where I live. Snow all around...INCLUDING AT THE OCEAN...but no snow within a 10 mile radius around me.

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity

This hummingbird has lived here year round here for 3 years. 2 other hummingbird couples migrate here, and stay for many months.

Yes, that's snow on top of his head. What's funny, is whenever I'm outside, and his water needs replenishing, he buzzes me till I change it.

lauratchi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi
sanity wrote:This hummingbird has lived here year round here for 3 years. 2 other hummingbird couples migrate here, and stay for many months.

Yes, that's snow on top of his head. What's funny, is whenever I'm outside, and his water needs replenishing, he buzzes me till I change it.

Great photo. Thanks for sharing!

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
KryseeMac wrote:Don't think this one is since Alan went after a raccoon with it for killing some of our chickens. That was sure a Kodak moment.

A sword isn't always peace-tied. They generally will do it for you at the front gate of faires using a zip tie, to secure the hilt to your belt or scabbard to make it so you can't draw it. Medieval Times does not allow weapons at all though Unless you want to sneak in your own knife and fork. Which would be very period correct, since taverns did not provide tableware. They were a luxury item.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cheron98

KryseeMac wrote:Owen Benjamin

on the set with Owen Benjamin, post-shooting for the day.

He's my new boyfriend

cheron98

javadrinker wrote:Check out Goldstar Events when it gets closer to your visit out there. The link I put up was for Chicago events but you might need to create an account to browse. I've used them here in So Cal lots of times for discount tix to shows. Looks like you can even get discount Medieval Times tix too.

Did you check out the Winebid party thread like I asked you to, Mr Java?

cheron98

Restaurant.com Sale Today! 80% off with coupon code SANTA

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
cheron98 wrote:ooh... if we get two more people to go, they have a "food & fun four-pack" for $100. Normal price is $58/person. So like... wow.

or upgrade to the VIP seating for $40 more. so 4 people for $140. $35/each? Sweet.

We did Medieval Times in Baltimore for my son's birthday last year. It sure adds up when you're doing it as a birthday party for an eight year old. I can get 25% discount on Medieval Times through work, but still! He had fun, though .

CT | | | | | |

cheron98

jwhite6114 wrote:We did Medieval Times in Baltimore for my son's birthday last year. It sure adds up when you're doing it as a birthday party for an eight year old. I can get 25% discount on Medieval Times through work, but still! He had fun, though .

The Schaumberg Castle is the only one I've been to, and it's just a blast. Awesome food, great entertainment... As long as you don't go crazy with souvenir stuff, it's not too bad. And there's so many ways to get discounts, it's kind of one of those "if you pay full price, you're a moron" kind of places.

cheron98

yumitori wrote:Point of order, M'Lady Cheron. They are putting pretty good wines into boxes these days; better that the average cheap bottled plonk. You still have to know what to look for, of course...

Another option to consider is this week's Side Deal. Same price (even $5 less after shipping), but three varietals instead of one. The Titus will almost certainly be a better choice quality-wise, but the My Wines Direct offer is economical.

(We may want to continue this in the pub.)

Yes, yes, yes, but who wants to start out with a 3L or 5L box of wine sitting in their fridge that they may hate? It's more the volume than the quality for that one that I was getting at, and I do see how it came across as being quality since it was followed by "Boone's Farm". Although you could probably argue that the quality of the boxed wines hasn't quite reached the widespread area ... no I don't like that phrasing. The boxed wines of quality haven't quite reached the broader retail outlets, and so the majority of boxed wines that you will readily find are still along the lines of plonk.

The side deal option is a fantastic idea and I completely forgot it was up there. Definitely a "good place to start".

edit: I have got to stop using smilies as punctuation...

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
sanity wrote:This hummingbird has lived here year round here for 3 years. 2 other hummingbird couples migrate here, and stay for many months.

Very awesome picture!!!

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

LoonBoarder

quality posts: 7 Private Messages LoonBoarder
Lighter wrote:Clayfu can hold his own. Simple strategy. The Clayerhaters attack the person, not the substance of his comments. The style is attacked, not the statements. Easy to defend.

Of course, he seems to toss out those Claybombs just to get folks bubbling.

Claymores?

Dude... wait, what?

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
LoonBoarder wrote:Claymores?

Those are massive mines -- they're a bit unwieldy (like their namesake sword) and aren't exactly lob-friendly. The word is perhaps the best fit, though -- grenclaydes doesn't roll off the tongue nearly so well.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

cheron98

waacodemon wrote:wow, much friendlier then other parts of woot XD haha

You mentioned like vareital and like...boone's farm.. and yea, im so new to this that i dont even know what any of those are XD

I just know a little wine a week is healthy and such, so i was debating on finding somewhere to start

Thanks for all the help people!! :D

Well, to start, "varietals" are the type of grape being used - Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Petite Sirah, Zinfandel, etc.

Boone's Farm is nasty cheap koi mass produced and sold in college-town liquor stores for a quick buzz that the students can pass off as being "wine" and thus look sophisticated although anyone who knows better would rather use it to beat them over the head with it.

Yumi's idea to go with the side deal this week is a fantastic one, and you should totally go for that, as there's three varietals you can start out with there.

cheron98

cheron98 wrote:nasty cheap koi

ha, they changed the filter from "carp" to "koi". Different kind of fish! Cute!

Loweeel

cheron98 wrote:Well, to start, "varietals" are the type of grape being used - Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Petite Sirah, Zinfandel, etc.

Boone's Farm is nasty cheap koi mass produced and sold in college-town liquor stores for a quick buzz that the students can pass off as being "wine" and thus look sophisticated although anyone who knows better would rather use it to beat them over the head with it.

Yumi's idea to go with the side deal this week is a fantastic one, and you should totally go for that, as there's three varietals you can start out with there.

To be pedantic, a varietal wine is a wine labeled as being from a specific grape variety (whether a supermajority--75%+ in Cali/WA, 85%+ in Oregon-- or entirety)

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

cheron98

Loweeel wrote:To be pedantic, a varietal wine is a wine labeled as being from a specific grape variety (whether a supermajority--75%+ in Cali/WA, 85%+ in Oregon-- or entirety)

close enough

cheron98

Corrado! Make them take away the stupid filter for ride the walrus!

LoonBoarder

quality posts: 7 Private Messages LoonBoarder
cheron98 wrote:Corrado! Make them take away the stupid filter for ride the walrus!

It is his fault, isn't it?

Dude... wait, what?

tommythecat78

cheron98 wrote:Restaurant.com Sale Today! 80% off with coupon code SANTA

$490 worth of certs. for $38.20. You rock for the info.!!!!!

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

cheron98

tommythecat78 wrote:$490 worth of certs. for $38.20. You rock for the info.!!!!!

I picked up another Il Posto one, so next time you're out here, we can go revisit Y'know, this time WITHOUT the sauce spillage.

tommythecat78

cheron98 wrote:I picked up another Il Posto one, so next time you're out here, we can go revisit Y'know, this time WITHOUT the sauce spillage.

I am sure there will be sauce spillage again. I will just be smart enough to NOT wear a white shirt!

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
cheron98 wrote:ha, they changed the filter from "carp" to "koi". Different kind of fish! Cute!

koi are carp

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

Loweeel

tommythecat78 wrote:$490 worth of certs. for $38.20. You rock for the info.!!!!!

And if you clicked through from fatwallet, you got an additional 25% of that 38.20 in your account as cash back.

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

MarkDaSpark

cheron98 wrote:Corrado! Make them take away the stupid filter for ride the walrus!

That is a stupid filter. Why would then need a filter for ride the walrus????? Not like it's (Original content not provided.) or Hey everybody, it burns when I pee..

Oh, look! They changed the filters!!!

frag
Druish princess
teh l33tsauce
Oggling my goat?
Baggy of Camomile
typographical documentaries
ahuhu
Ever just think about breadsticks?
Seriously need more of these
Rollerball (2002)
retinker
inhales sharply and creates suction
genius ----- (NOOOOOOOOO)

cheron98

bhodilee wrote:koi are carp

yeah i realized that after i posted it but didn't feel like updating. Figured my blonde moment would amuse you all

tommythecat78

Loweeel wrote:And if you clicked through from fatwallet, you got an additional 25% of that 38.20 in your account as cash back.

Damn...wish I would have known that. Oh well.

Zoomba77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zoomba77

Ok, the restaurant.com offer is too good to pass up... I've got some in my basket for Volare in Wixom... any other suggestions for places in the area Cheron?

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx

I think "ride the walrus" is going to confuse the hell out of guest winemakers when trying to describe their products. And what the frag is "teh l33tsauce"? I googled and wiki-ed.

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT