cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
EmilyTitusVineyards wrote:you take that back, double the Cab purchase, then take that back

It was actually a pretty high compliment SakeGuy talked me into buying sake and I really really really don't like sake. (Speaking of which, I got a G and the not-nigori sitting downstairs - make an offer.)

And now I just simply can't afford to buy the Cab. And it makes me sad.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

EmilyTitusVineyards

quality posts: 12 Private Messages EmilyTitusVineyards

Can someone please let me know where I can find SakeGuy

EmilyTitusVineyards

LAST UPDATE FOR TODAY FROM THE TITUS RANCH HOUSE - Sorry, no news about today's Titus TV episode. All we have heard back is that it's not lost, just not posted - bummer.

Here's the link for you to continue to check at your leisure

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/titus_tv

and my apologies to all of you who missed the live version and were looking forward to a later viewing. We'll definitely keep tabs on this to let you know as soon as it's there.

In the meantime, past un-edited 2008 harvest clips are there to watch now although, in my opinion, today's episode far exceeds these.

Thanks for being the highlight of my day and keeping me on my toes!

BobboinAVL

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BobboinAVL

Alright already... In for one.

Titus Vineyards - Two Pack
Current numbers (updated each minute):

First sucker: mill
Speed to first woot: 0m 8.017s

Last wooter to woot: BobboinAVL

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
tkastorff wrote:"thought" needs to change to "fact"

make it happen! we don't get enough Zin on this site ... well actually InZINerator and Haynes were great, I would take those two back anytime ...

1 in 10 red wines offered here is a Zin. Fifth most common of all the varietals offered.

But we'll see more, I am sure?

CT | | | | | |

duck833

quality posts: 0 Private Messages duck833

Offtrack:

I got my Malbec today by the brown truck. The bottles were really cold, though not frozen. The high today in Eugene was about 25 degrees, low tonight maybe 12. How cold does it have to get before shipping is suspended until it warms up a little?

good food, good wine, bad girl = great evening

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
EmilyTitusVineyards wrote:Can someone please let me know where I can find SakeGuy

SakeGuy hails from SakeOne. You can read his latest wine.woot posts in this thread. If the two of you were to team up (with LZ on board for good measure) no one would be safe.

CT | | | | | |

waacodemon

quality posts: 12 Private Messages waacodemon
EmilyTitusVineyards wrote:Can someone please let me know where I can find SakeGuy

look behind you?

I once ate a cricket.

koneco

quality posts: 16 Private Messages koneco
tjhoulihan wrote:Again.. Georgia is missing from the delivery states?

Is this a mistake... Or are we back to being punished for housing the Braves?

Ha ha!

luckyinla

quality posts: 5 Private Messages luckyinla

Here is my long-awaited lab report. (Sorry, but I dwell on the left coast & tonight was my daughter's Holiday performance at school.)

As soon as was reasonable, I left the singing performance with with my youngest daughter, aka "the star of the show". I left my husband & older daughter at school to deflect the other parents & their children. After all, I had wine to decant!

I arrived home, quickly petted Duncan & Daisy (the 4-legged children), and opened the Titus. I poured 2 small glasses into our Riedel Vinum Bordeaux glasses, & the rest of the bottle into a decanter. Immediately, I began to swirl with earnest. The nose was tight, and mostly I detected sweet cherries & alcohol. My first sips tasted of plum, strawberry & cinnamon. And yes, I detected a bit of dark chocolate on the finish. Overall, the wine was smooth but slightly disjointed. It had a nice mouthfeel with strong tannins. I remembered to ask my husband (who appeared out of nowhere while I was focused on the Titus) his opinion of the wine.

DETOUR: My palate is not nearly as sophisticated as many, but I work on educating it as often as possible. My DH, on the other hand, has an almost "non-existent" (or shall we say unrefined?) palate.

His response is "I like this wine". (Then his usual question is, "What did it cost us?", but I digress...)

After 30 minutes in the decanter, we had our next glass of wine. The nose still was predominantly cherries. However, the wine had begun to evolve. It was much more balanced, & the fruits had toned down a bit. I still tasted cherries, but detected blueberries, still cinnamon & now a bit of coffee. The mouthfeel was much creamier & smoother, and the finish longer. My husband's reaction? "It's smoother." (Yes, he's a man of many words...)

Our last glasses were poured 1 hour after decanting. At this point, the alcohol had dissipated. (I am very sensitive to high levels of alcohol, and prefer a more balanced wine.) Now the wine tastes of cinnamon, chocolate and sour cherries. There is a bit of pepper mid-palate and then a l-o n-g finish, lasting at least a full minute. My husband's reaction? "Reminds me of the 2004 Hartwell Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Grown we bought." And that is high praise indeed!

To give you some sense of my palate, I prefer "old-school" cabs. I don't particularly like fruit-forward, Parkerized wines. I loved this wine! I am very happy I bought it, and am thinking of finding a way to "sneak" more into the house...

This wine has a lovely appeal for cab drinkers. There is a lot of fruit and alcohol to start...but there is so much more! It is well-balanced, and with a bit of age, the wine should be very balanced & smooth. And, when we added the component of food, the wine simply complimented dinner, and became a lovely drinker. I was sorry when the bottle was emptied...

Thanks to all for this amazing opportunity to lab rat this wine. (And if you're on the fence, close your eyes & jump! You may just regret not getting this gift to yourself...)

The wine seems to be very closed-in and seems to have entered a dumb stage. Sort of a Marcel Meursault.
Paul S. Winalski

my cellartracker
The best use of bad wine is to drive away poor relations.
French proverb

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
luckyinla wrote:(And if you're on the fence, close your eyes & jump! You may just regret this gift to yourself if you don't...)

Hush! So close to hitting that button. Great labrat report.

Browsing Titus site, I notice their futures are priced same as current releases. Still new to wine futures but aren't futures normally cheaper? And given state of economy wouldn't you expect lower retail prices ahead or is wine pricing arbitrary enough that retail prices will NEVER drop, they'll just offer "discounts".

CT

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 80 Private Messages PetiteSirah
tenuki wrote:Hush! So close to hitting that button. Great labrat report.

Browsing Titus site, I notice their futures are priced same as current releases. Still new to wine futures but aren't futures normally cheaper? And given state of economy wouldn't you expect lower retail prices ahead or is wine pricing arbitrary enough that retail prices will NEVER drop, they'll just offer "discounts".

Prices usually go up overall year-to-year.

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

boaz38

quality posts: 2 Private Messages boaz38
PetiteSirah wrote:Prices usually go up overall year-to-year.

want to buy all my ursa PS? i simply cannot wait 7-10 years for this wine to "wake up"....jk

jwink

quality posts: 39 Private Messages jwink
tenuki wrote:Hush! So close to hitting that button. Great labrat report.

Eric Titus addressed this in the webcast, part of the context was that the friut yield this year (2008) would be less than last year and in 2005 (the wine for sale); and would that lower yield cause the price to go up? To paraphrase the resposne: "when a winerey sets its price it typically stays at that price, regardless of the crop or vintage. If the prices go up then they will stay at that higher price going forward." So the way I took that is this their CS is priced at the amout they would like it at, and increases will probably be passed along over time probably in step with COLA (cost of living adjusment).

Follow me on Twitter
Blooging away

cheron98

jwhite6114 wrote:SakeGuy hails from SakeOne. You can read his latest wine.woot posts in this thread. If the two of you were to team up (with LZ on board for good measure) no one would be safe.

The Triumvirate of Sales. Let's not even consider that possibility...

Edit: You know, it suddenly seems very unright to me that I allowed SakeGuy to talk me into buying Sake (which I don't like) and I let LZ talk me into buy Chard (which I hate). Yet I'm staunchly refusing to bust out the credit card and let Emily talk me into buying this, my favorite varietal...

cheron98

boaz38 wrote:want to buy all my ursa PS? i simply cannot wait 7-10 years for this wine to "wake up"....jk

oooh don't tease him like that

jwink

cheron98 wrote:The Triumvirate of Sales. Let's not even consider that possibility...

Edit: You know, it suddenly seems very unright to me that I allowed SakeGuy to talk me into buying Sake (which I don't like) and I let LZ talk me into buy Chard (which I hate). Yet I'm staunchly refusing to bust out the credit card and let Emily talk me into buying this, my favorite varietal...

You konw you want an order.....everyone's doing it...comeon cheron, you want to be one of the cool w.wooters don't you? ;-)

Follow me on Twitter
Blooging away

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
boaz38 wrote:want to buy all my ursa PS? i simply cannot wait 7-10 years for this wine to "wake up"....jk

Just wait one or two (and then use a decanter). Having tried the '04 a few months ago, those were delicious (and unique) with a few hours in a decanter. The '05s just aren't ready yet, but should be delicious next year.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

Loweeel

cheron98 wrote:The Triumvirate of Sales. Let's not even consider that possibility...

And you wonder why you're the housekeeper :-p

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

cheron98

Loweeel wrote:And you wonder why you're the housekeeper :-p

We've had this discussion before You know I love PS, but there's just a special place in my heart for CS. But my cellar currently has more PS than CS in it, so be happy about that.

And she said blueberries! BLUEBERRIES!!! Oy. So if I were to buy this NOW... should I get it shipped HOME or to your place or to my sister's... cuz CLEARLY it can't go to my parents' house in stupid jersey. When would it arrive. Hmmm, so much to consider...

boaz38

Loweeel wrote:Just wait one or two (and then use a decanter). Having tried the '04 a few months ago, those were delicious (and unique) with a few hours in a decanter. The '05s just aren't ready yet, but should be delicious next year.

thank you, cause i opened a bottle of th Ursa pasa robles,couple of weeks ago and it was "flat" even after an hour of decanting. i was very dejected and felt like pouring it all down the hole but if you say "wait till next year", then i will wait.

Loweeel

boaz38 wrote:thank you, cause i opened a bottle of th Ursa pasa robles,couple of weeks ago and it was "flat" even after an hour of decanting. i was very dejected and felt like pouring it all down the hole but if you say "wait till next year", then i will wait.

And even with the '04s, it was about 2.5 hours in the decanter. The Vineyard ride the walrus is the only one that will be approachable with only an hour in the decanter.

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
EmilyTitusVineyards wrote:see, you'd love LOT 1 anytime!

Hey Emily I have a question regarding Lot 1. How long should I decant this wine before I drink it? Thanks.

boaz38

Loweeel wrote:And even with the '04s, it was about 2.5 hours in the decanter. The Vineyard blend is the only one that will be approachable with only an hour in the decanter.

Okay, now i got it.The filter comment and the ursa VB comment as well, thank you Loweel!!

AnemicOak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AnemicOak
duck833 wrote:Offtrack:

I got my Malbec today by the brown truck. The bottles were really cold, though not frozen. The high today in Eugene was about 25 degrees, low tonight maybe 12. How cold does it have to get before shipping is suspended until it warms up a little?

I got my Block 13 today and it's about 5 degrees here in MN right now (a heatwave compared to the last few days). Other than being quite cold the bottles seem ok from what I can tell, but would also like to know about cold issues. My Ty should be here Monday.

EmilyTitusVineyards

jwhite6114 wrote:SakeGuy hails from SakeOne. You can read his latest wine.woot posts in this thread. If the two of you were to team up (with LZ on board for good measure) no one would be safe.

Cheers!

MaxAlex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MaxAlex

It's funny you say that. I feel like I'm in the same boast. I continue to breal out the cash for LZ's product because of her input and approach to WW, yet not Emily. I think it's just a sign of the times. If it was six months ago I would have done it without thinking. Being a financial type I'm more cautious right now.

EmilyTitusVineyards

let there be justice in our Cab loving world!

EmilyTitusVineyards

CAGrl wrote:Hey Emily I have a question regarding Lot 1. How long should I decant this wine before I drink it? Thanks.

Ideally about an hour

EmilyTitusVineyards

OK, the wood stove is going (it's freaking 37 degrees outside and I was born in raised in Maine so yes, I think I can complain even if this is reasonable winter weather comparatively), I'm caffeinated which in my world equals a generous thermos of tea with a red wine chaser, and I just rolled up my sleeves so let's do this.

Who's on the fence out there? I'm ready for you.

bmwstack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bmwstack

Does anyone know the shipping time on this?

jwink

EmilyTitusVineyards wrote:OK, the wood stove is going (it's freaking 37 degrees outside and I was born in raised in Maine so yes, I think I can complain even if this is reasonable winter weather comparatively), I'm caffeinated which in my world equals a generous thermos of tea with a red wine chaser, and I just rolled up my sleeves so let's do this.

Who's on the fence out there? I'm ready for you.

Look at the last two pages for the fence dwellers...of course doubling the order to 4 bottles for the same price (or even 3) will get you sold out in 3+/- hours; those of us who already ordered will want the same ;-)

Follow me on Twitter
Blooging away

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

AnemicOak wrote:I got my Block 13 today and it's about 5 degrees here in MN right now (a heatwave compared to the last few days). Other than being quite cold the bottles seem ok from what I can tell, but would also like to know about cold issues. My Ty should be here Monday.

To my knowledge, there is no 'suspension of shipping' for the season, but if a region is forecast for extreme cold (or heat), the shipping schedule can be adjusted to keep the bottles from sitting in a warehouse during extreme temps.

Regardless, if your wine arrives clearly damaged from heat or cold (protruding, leaking corks are a pretty good sign that somethin' done gone wrong), contact service@woot.com and they'll make it right. The re-fulfillment process can be slow since they may have to re-acquire sock, but woot stands by their products (as do the wineries who offer their products here).

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

mbecker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mbecker
mbecker wrote:*Labrat First Impression Report*

Initially - WD, thank you so much for the free bottle of wine for tasting. I don't think I have ordered by the deadline in quite some time so it was very unexpected. A nice glass of wine at work in the afternoon has a way of setting the day right.

As a frame of reference, the woot wines I have most enjoyed have been Corison (of course), Ty Caton (I may like the Field Blen.d the best), Wellington (really loved the 02 Syrah), and maybe the Frazier (Lupine).

These are some initial notes from a pop, pour and taste in office coffee mug. I will try again tonight and provide additional notes.

Nose was chocolate raspberry and other non-distinct berries. Initial taste is earthy, tart, with some chalk, tobacco and perhaps some cherry. I would not call this a fruit bomb at all. The tannins are very present and linger on a medium to long finish. Perhaps some dark baker's chocolate on the finish. As the wine opens up (15-20 minutes) the flavors become much more integrated.

More notes to follow this evening. For those on the fence I am quite happy with my purchase and may pick up another set.

*Follow up tasting notes*

I continued to drink the wine through the evening but I got home sorta late so no fancy dinner pairing. I also dont usually drink nicer wines with foods as the flavors get lost on my palate. I did try a bit with the trio of artisan cheeses from the offering a few weeks ago. I have to say the Point Reyes blue cheese was an excellent pairing and balanced well with the strong finish of this wine.

The flavors remained fairly consistent from before. Perhaps the wine became a bit more integrated and full. I also ran a glass through the Vinturi aerator (this thing really seems to work) but noticed no differences. Next bottle I open I will test a bit right at opening. By the end of the evening the flavors seemed to get a bit muted but the bottle had been open for about 8 hours. I did save a bit for a final tasting this evening and sealed with a Vacu Vin stopper. If I notice any differences I will post a follow up.

Final verdict - great full bodied CS but not a fruit bomb, decent qpr, decant 1/2-1 hour but not much more, pairs well with cheese, may want to try after 6 mo to a year but drinking nicely now.

bmwstack

sorry to be a pest PLEASE HELP!!!!!! I want to order this for a gift, but want to know the shipping time. Ive never had wine shipped so i dont know the average shipping time...... THANKS

yumitori

quality posts: 22 Private Messages yumitori
bmwstack wrote:
sorry to be a pest PLEASE HELP!!!!!! I want to order this for a gift, but want to know the shipping time. Ive never had wine shipped so i dont know the average shipping time...... THANKS

I would be surprised if it were to arrive in time for Christmas gifting.

There were notes that they would get it out in time if you ordered first thing, but that deadline is gone and passed. At this point expect it to arrive the week after Christmas.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 201 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

yumitori wrote:I would be surprised if it were to arrive in time for Christmas gifting.

There were notes that they would get it out in time if you ordered first thing, but that deadline is gone and passed. At this point expect it to arrive the week after Christmas.

it depends on where you live. um, where do you live?

EmilyTitusVineyards

jwink wrote:Look at the last two pages for the fence dwellers...of course doubling the order to 4 bottles for the same price (or even 3) will get you sold out in 3+/- hours; those of us who already ordered will want the same ;-)

Way to put it out there jwink, but alas I'm afraid I'm entirely reliant on my virtual charm and bringing as much sensory experience with the wine to you as possible

bmwstack

Winedavid39 wrote:it depends on where you live. um, where do you live?

Its going to NH right on the MA/NH border. Is it send Fed Ex ground? Thanks for the help.

EmilyTitusVineyards

mbecker wrote:*Follow up tasting notes*

I continued to drink the wine through the evening but I got home sorta late so no fancy dinner pairing. I also dont usually drink nicer wines with foods as the flavors get lost on my palate. I did try a bit with the trio of artisan cheeses from the offering a few weeks ago. I have to say the Point Reyes blue cheese was an excellent pairing and balanced well with the strong finish of this wine.

The flavors remained fairly consistent from before. Perhaps the wine became a bit more integrated and full. I also ran a glass through the Vinturi aerator (this thing really seems to work) but noticed no differences. Next bottle I open I will test a bit right at opening. By the end of the evening the flavors seemed to get a bit muted but the bottle had been open for about 8 hours. I did save a bit for a final tasting this evening and sealed with a Vacu Vin stopper. If I notice any differences I will post a follow up.

Final verdict - great full bodied CS but not a fruit bomb, decent qpr, decant 1/2-1 hour but not much more, pairs well with cheese, may want to try after 6 mo to a year but drinking nicely now.

Excellent follow up and one of my favorite cheeses, too. I adore it almost as much as Humboldt Fog which is also a strong pairing with this wine.