taaliza

quality posts: 0 Private Messages taaliza
EmilyTitusVineyards wrote:I think your wallet should not handle something else, it's nice to be reminded why we love wine and this just may be the example to do so. It's how most people have been introduced to us and I think it plays on two levels. I think it's an easy entry Cab because the tannins are very well integrated so you can get to the good stuff right away and if you're a fan of Napa Valley Cabs, this one definitely represents this category well. I know this offer is a bit of a big ask, especially by Woot standards, but in the big picture is a pretty great deal for estate, Napa Valley Cabs in general.

Well...it is definitely easy to tell myself No...GA isn't on the ship to list. For once - my wallet is quite happy with this situation. I, on the other hand, am not ;)

jgiannon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jgiannon

OK, I don't know if I should be asking this here, so forgive me if I am breaking any forum rules. I am definitely interested in this and trying to get the wife to let me Woot a couple. But does anyone know how the 2004 Titus Cab is? How does this compare to it? I can get a case of it shipped ot my house for free and it would be just over $200, not sure how much of a deal that is.

Oh and my Block 13 arrives tomorrow, finally. I gifted myself some more Block 13 but I won't see it until Monday.

MaxAlex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MaxAlex
cheron98 wrote:HMMMmmmmm... where's that Loweeel...

Thank you so much for indulging us and putting up with our randomness We have a few running tickles around here, and some of them center around PS and lovers of PS.

Do you moonlight for Jdate.com? (ha-Ha)

EmilyTitusVineyards

quality posts: 12 Private Messages EmilyTitusVineyards
jgiannon wrote:OK, I don't know if I should be asking this here, so forgive me if I am breaking any forum rules. I am definitely interested in this and trying to get the wife to let me Woot a couple. But does anyone know how the 2004 Titus Cab is? How does this compare to it? I can get a case of it shipped ot my house for free and it would be just over $200, not sure how much of a deal that is.

Oh and my Block 13 arrives tomorrow, finally. I gifted myself some more Block 13 but I won't see it until Monday.

I want that deal actually. I LOVE the 2004 Cab! It's a very lush, concentrated vintage so these wines don't have as much cellaring potential as the 05's but if you plan on enjoying them now and over the next few years it's a non-issue. I remember Phillip commenting at one point that he wishes he could sell this wine forever.

dgowdy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dgowdy

Bring on Titus_TV!

boaz38

quality posts: 2 Private Messages boaz38

she's back she's back!! welcome back emily!!! someone put Laura Zahtila on notice.

dgowdy

Hey Emily, sorry I am going to miss the broadcast but you guys have fun. I will catch it later.

David

EmilyTitusVineyards

waacodemon wrote:If ive never had wine before, this a good one to start on? or should i look for cheaper stuff?

Thanks

Ditto welcome to Wine Woot! If you are around in about 45 minutes you can virtually taste the 05 Cab with Eric Titus who will stream live to you and the wine woot community via Titus TV at the Ranch House. The link will be posted in just a bit.

EmilyTitusVineyards

dgowdy wrote:Hey Emily, sorry I am going to miss the broadcast but you guys have fun. I will catch it later.

David

Bummer, we'll try to be extra entertaining to make reliving/watching it worthwhile just for you

EmilyTitusVineyards

boaz38 wrote:she's back she's back!! welcome back emily!!! someone put Laura Zahtila on notice.

Good Morning/Afternoon! Thanks for the greeting, you've already made my day! I'm not much of a morning person which is only that much more evident when you're late everyday and work for a grapegrower who has been up and working since 5am so is more than alert to take notice of this.

dgowdy

EmilyTitusVineyards wrote:Bummer, we'll try to be extra entertaining to make reliving/watching it worthwhile just for you

Too bad we won't get a drive around the vineyard for this one, but I'm sure you guys can come up with something!

EmilyTitusVineyards

dgowdy wrote:Too bad we won't get a drive around the vineyard for this one, but I'm sure you guys can come up with something!

you set the bar pretty high, we'll see what we can pull this off on a very cold and rainy in Napa Valley where at the moment it feels pretty good to be cozy in the Ranch House with the wood stove (our only source of heat) cranking. So, if Eric keeps telling you that he smells/tastes smoky nuances in the Cab you now how the inside track on why.

boaz38

EmilyTitusVineyards wrote:Good Morning/Afternoon! Thanks for the greeting, you've already made my day! I'm not much of a morning person which is only that much more evident when you're late everyday and work for a grapegrower who has been up and working since 5am so is more than alert to take notice of this.

yah yah!!! woo hooo!!! watched the youtube video of the vineyard walk through parts 1&2, also the tasting session as well. Really liked the wine makers explanations and reasonings on why they were preparing to pick that particular block. First time i had ever seen anything like that online.........you guys should do that more often, like release time, etc. Anyho, in for two sets and am looking forward to trying your wine. So far the gundlach/bundschu,saddleback and little vineyards have really impressed me.

EmilyTitusVineyards

boaz38 wrote:yah yah!!! woo hooo!!! watched the youtube video of the vineyard walk through parts 1&2, also the tasting session as well. Really liked the wine makers explanations and reasonings on why they were preparing to pick that particular block. First time i had ever seen anything like that online.........you guys should do that more often, like release time, etc. Anyho, in for two sets and am looking forward to trying your wine. So far the gundlach/bundschu,saddleback and little vineyards have really impressed me.

Excellent! Thanks for your enthusiasm and nudge to do more of this - we absolutely will. But take it easy on the ideas, I love my job and you seem like you're just a little too much of a natural at this however, I will continue to give credit where credit is due.

It is amazing how much you learn from these pieces, I always take something away from them as well, it's great and the price is just right

Winedavid39

quality posts: 202 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

Getting set up for the live feed from Titus Vineyards. Get your questions ready.

This could be fun.

EmilyTitusVineyards

Winedavid39 wrote:Getting set up for the live feed from Titus Vineyards. Get your questions ready.

This could be fun.

This will DEFINITELY be fun!

boaz38

Winedavid39 wrote:Getting set up for the live feed from Titus Vineyards. Get your questions ready.

This could be fun.

what a country!!!

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel

This could be fun.

WD -- for those of us who cannot access ustream at work, is there some way that we can ask questions for the winemaker and see the video afterwards?

Hopefully this won't *just* be live -- I'd love to see it after work.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

EmilyTitusVineyards

OK, so we just put extra wood in the wood stove so we can fully commit our attention to the 10:30 Titus TV 2005 Cab Tasting with Eric Titus - can't wait!

This is one way we can share one of, in my opinion, the cool things about wine. That is, like with almost anything else the more you learn about it, the more you realize there is to know. And... why I think drinking wine is just the greatest because my curiosity is never satiated with the information I learn and I find it all ridiculously interesting.

EmilyTitusVineyards

Loweeel wrote:WD -- for those of us who cannot access ustream at work, is there some way that we can ask questions for the winemaker and see the video afterwards?

Hopefully this won't *just* be live -- I'd love to see it after work.

We'll be taking questions from both Wine Woot and U-Stream - we like options

Then, we'll be sure to give you the link to the "episode" for later viewing at your leisure - thanks so much for your interest!

MaskedMarvel

quality posts: 11 Private Messages MaskedMarvel

This could be fun.

Linky?

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
MaskedMarvel wrote:Linky?

http://wine.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=2867848&PageIndex=1&ReplyCount=3

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

ssufish

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ssufish

Honestly, if I had known there was going to be a live feed re: this wine with a Q&A session, I would have bought this WW no questions asked purely for the amazing marketing geared towards it. Alas, I missed the rattage and was just told by our front office person that a shipment from another WW came in today. Emily thank you for your hard work and dealing with all the guys hitting on you here. I'll go in next time Lot 1 is offered.

cheron98

ssufish wrote:Honestly, if I had known there was going to be a live feed re: this wine with a Q&A session, I would have bought this WW no questions asked purely for the amazing marketing geared towards it. Alas, I missed the rattage and was just told by our front office person that a shipment from another WW came in today. Emily thank you for your hard work and dealing with all the guys hitting on you here. I'll go in next time Lot 1 is offered.

it was in the description if you read through it all to the last verse (to the tune of Jingle Bells!)

Loweeel

EmilyTitusVineyards wrote:We'll be taking questions from both Wine Woot and U-Stream - we like options

Alright, here we go.

Tell me everything you can about your PS!

1. Your website says that you used to source from others, but now grow your own. Or which sub-appellation(s) in Napa Valley? -- the website says it's 40 acres just north of St. Helena. (I personally like the Silverado Trail side much better than the Rt. 29 side, less traffic and it's prettier, and much less touristy) Do you use everything you grow, or do you source to others? And if so, whom?

2. Your website also says that you decided to plant your own PS after sourcing from others for many years. How old are your PS vines? Which clone(s) did you choose and how did you make this choice?

3. What sort of toast do you use on the new (33%) and 2-yr old (67%) (at least for the 2006), which the 2006 PS aged in? How did you determine that 19 months was an appropriate aging time?

4. I was one of the woot labrats for the 2004 Lot 1 and loved it. As a PS aficionado, and having previously tried the Michael-David Petite Petit, it was a very interesting experience. How would you compare the 2005 to the '04 in terms of the Lot 1?

5. Similarly, I have a (as-yet unopened) 2005 Titus PS. How would you compare the '06?

6. Your website suggests not aging your PS for longer than 10 years. Is that from vintage or from release? Emily has, during the Lot 1 offering, suggested that the Lot 1 will age for up to 12-15 years.

7. We had Kent Rasmussen on here, share his many experiences with very old and aged petite sirah:

KRWINE wrote:Kent here
It seems to me that Petite Sirah is one of the most interesting wines when it comes to the issue of aging and drinking. Young PS is big, rich, usually pretty tannic and above all full of luscious fruit. Funnily enough, unlike a Cab. Sauv., even though they are structurally huge, they are still very drinkable when they are young—mostly because of the charm of all the wonderful fruit. Once a PS is about 10-15 years old it usually starts to go through a “dumb” phase as it loses it’s fruit, but then when they get really old – 20-25 years they come around again like no other wine I have ever had….wonderful rich Bordeaux-like complexity…tons of that cedar-cigar box character that you always associate with really nice old clarets. So my recommend is drink them young or let them sit forever—most PS have the structure to handle the age.
What made me “an expert” on old PS: A few years ago there was a small wine shop in the San Francisco Bay Area that bought people’s cellars. He also bought our wine, but unfortunately, while the fellow who ran the shop was a nice guy, he didn’t pay his bills. One day I was in the shop (collecting a bill) and he had dozens of bottles from the late 1960s to about 1980 of California PS on a table…I said…why? And he told me that when he resold the wine he bought from collections he could never get anyone to take the PS. I made a deal with him that we would trade a bottle of our wine for a bottle of PS…he got something he could sell and I got paid. Over the course of the next year or so (before the IRS caught him) we traded about a hundred bottles and Celia and I had old old PS for dinner several nights each week. These were the great old fathers of PS…Concannon, Burgess, Freemark Abbey, Ridge, and so on. Other than an occasional corky bottle we never had a single one that was “over the hill”. It was a treat and a rare opportunity to learn about old PS.

Do you have any similar experiences with PS that old? What is your take on its aging profile and "dumb period(s)"?

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

EmilyTitusVineyards

Loweeel wrote:Do you have any similar experiences with PS that old? What is your take on its aging profile and "dumb period(s)"?

hang on, we'll definitely answer all of these questions for you

Walstib

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Walstib

Where are the questions being asked? in this thread?

EmilyTitusVineyards

You guys can post your questions here too, I'll catch them and feed them to Eric

EmilyTitusVineyards

Walstib wrote:Where are the questions being asked? in this thread?

I gotcha, what's on your mind?

EmilyTitusVineyards

Really, no questions just keep going as we are?

Loweeel

EmilyTitusVineyards wrote:Really, no questions just keep going as we are?

Emily, this is awesome! Thank you so much!

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

EmilyTitusVineyards

Loweeel wrote:Emily, this is awesome! Thank you so much!

It's our pleasure, you're welcome!

ssufish

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ssufish
cheron98 wrote:it was in the description if you read through it all to the last verse (to the tune of Jingle Bells!)

Note to self, read entire description next time...

cheron98

I'm looking forward to the 08 vintage - do you see a spike in prices because of the low yield?

EmilyTitusVineyards

cheron98 wrote:I'm looking forward to the 08 vintage - do you see a spike in prices because of the low yield?

great question, thanks!

Lighter

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Lighter

You spoke about the drought. What is the next year looking like?

In addition to just getting through the year, are you planning anything different in terms of the basic "farming?"

mstang1988

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mstang1988

If the wine is half as good as the winery(Emily's) participation here we are in for a treat!

Ty Caton - Cab, Goosecross Orange Muscat/Chenin Blanc, Gun Bun - Merlot, mix, pinot noir, Kent Ras. Pinot Noir, Titus Cab, Ty Caton - Fields, GunBun - Block 13 Cab, Woot Cellars - Toothstain (sp), Chase - Red Zin, LV - Cab

EmilyTitusVineyards

Lighter wrote:You spoke about the drought. What is the next year looking like?

In addition to just getting through the year, are you planning anything different in terms of the basic "farming?"

hang on, I'll shoot this to Eric right after he walks you guys through the 05 Cab - ok?

EmilyTitusVineyards

mstang1988 wrote:If the wine is half as good as the winery(Emily's) participation here we are in for a treat!

too funny, you're very kind but Eric (and his wine) definitely steals the show no contest

jp9219

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jp9219

Shoot...I have to go to the bathroom right as he is getting into the 05...alright, I'll wait...unless you want to hold on for a sec

Amador (x2) | Helios (x3) | JanKris (x2) | Roessler (x2) | Wellington Port (x1) | Iron Horse (x1) | Titus (x1) | Ty Caton (x1) | Block 13 (x2) | EHP (x2) | Tooth (x1) | Chase (x1) | InZIN (x1) | Wellington Select (x3) | Mystery (x1) : CT