jplamb

quality posts: 15 Private Messages jplamb

I'm in for two and am working from home all week so I'd love a chance to rat it.

platanutre

quality posts: 1 Private Messages platanutre
jwhite6114 wrote:Seeing as she is a g/f, and not a SWMBO, it can't really be all that serious anyway, right? Seems, then, that wine is the correct choice.

I already advised her that I wont be able to get a present for her untill after christmas, so I dont think she will mind llo.

how long yall recogn before it's sold out?

rpm

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm
jwhite6114 wrote:I appreciate the comparison to some wines with which many of us are familiar. As much as I do like many of TC's wines, his Cab Sauv is not one of my fav's. How would you compare your expectation of the Titus to something like Corrison?

Corison wines are sort of the opposite of this wine: traditionally structured, lower alcohol, more tannin, designed to age rather than for immediate drinking. Cathy is quite clear about her preference for making wines more like the great Napa Cabs of the 40's-70 than the current high alcohol fruit bombs.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

jbina

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbina

I would have bought 3 if i didn't buy anything last week during the woot off.

ltraffis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ltraffis
kylemittskus wrote:You either have a large or a fun family.

Large (seven siblings) & fun family that has acquired a taste for good wine! But the half that lives out of town missed a great time! If everyone would have shown up, we would have needed a barrel of juice! It's kind of hard to make it in from Washington state, Colorado, and Kentucky this early in the holiday season.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
jwhite6114 wrote:How good is this deal?

Napa Christmas to you!
Napa Christmas to you!
Napa Christmas to everyone,
Napa Christmas to you!

(wait, that wasn't a Christmas tune!)

In time for the 11:00 deadline to guarantee Christmas delivery ... click the link above for details. Price evaluation based on winery direct price, as is shipping. CT link, CT price breakdown, winery link, blog link (for historical reference) and more included.

WD,

11 PM Central or 11 AM Central??

I'm thinking 11 AM Central, so you could ship today. But 11 PM Central would work if you ship tomorrow.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

malikar wrote:absolutely. I've had it before and it's incredibly good. While I'm not nearly as eloquent when describing wines, here's a very good review: http://thewinespies.wordpress.com/2008/09/04/2005-titus-vineyards-napa-valley-cabernet-sauvignon/

...and a MUCH better deal than WineSpies. Shipping to CT (which is as close to VT as I could get) would cost me a few cents shy of $80 (vs. $65 here). Full woot-order (half case) would be $185 vs. WineSpies' $224.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm
MarkDaSpark wrote:WD,

11 PM Central or 11 AM Central??

I'm thinking 11 AM Central, so you could ship today. But 11 PM Central would work if you ship tomorrow.

A.M !!

thrawn1020

quality posts: 23 Private Messages thrawn1020

With these two offerings, Titus has established itself in this community as a winery for premium(at least in price) wine that is certainly interesting, more particularly aimed at the Lot 1 offering than this. Anyone taken the plunge yet and opened one of the lot one? If so, what did you think?

Not too many to count, but dang. This place has a way of building a cellar for you.

thetong

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thetong

I think Parker missed the mark a bit with his score. The wine has really nice acidity, structure, and loads of cherry and tobacco. It is a really nice cab, especially for the price. I preferred the 2005 Titus to the 2005 Caymus if that helps put it in perspective.

If they shipped to NJ I'd be in for 2. I pay $39/bottle, so paying $32/bottle with shipping is a solid deal.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
rpm wrote:Indeed. Both the reviewer's description and Parker's indicate fruit bomb made for current drinking. The pH and alcohol levels are consistent with that.

Many wooters will undoubtedly like this wine very much. Ty Caton fans especially. Given that I prefer traditionally structured Cabernet Sauvignon wines built to age 20 years, with lower alcohol, lower pH, and more tannin on release (hard to describe, when it's just right - you know it when you see it), I don't think I would be one of them.

Soooooooo, we're taking the Supreme Court view on Cab then? You know it when you see it

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
winefarm wrote:A.M !!

Aaarrrrggghhhhhhh!! I'm not listening ....

Fine! Made me go in before deadline. Can bring one to Xmas dinner with the family. As if I didn't have enough already .......

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney
bhodilee wrote:Soooooooo, we're taking the Supreme Court view on Cab then? You know it when you see it

the good ol "raised eyebrow" standard

CT

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

MarkDaSpark wrote:Aaarrrrggghhhhhhh!! I'm not listening ....

Fine! Made me go in before deadline. Can bring one to Xmas dinner with the family. As if I didn't have enough already .......

This falls squarely in the "wine-I-want-but-SIWBM-prevails" category. Maybe CIWBM is more accurate since I'm writing a $1500 check to our Contractor today for new windows.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

EmilyTitusVineyards

quality posts: 12 Private Messages EmilyTitusVineyards

Hi Everyone!

It sounds like most of you are new to Titus Vineyards' wines. This Cabernet Sauvignon is our flagship wine made from our estate valley floor vineyards in St. Helena. I have also noticed that there's been a bit of tech talk regarding the pH and alcohol levels in this wine. While, admittedly, I'm speaking from the winery I still feel it's worth mentioning that the number one thing we hear back from the market about this wine is that it's very balanced and well made, not overblown.

Here's a link where Eric Titus, the grapegrower, tastes this wine in the vineyard and discusses the blend: 2005 Cab Sauv Tasting with Eric

tjhoulihan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjhoulihan

Again.. Georgia is missing from the delivery states?

Is this a mistake... Or are we back to being punished for housing the Braves?

EmilyTitusVineyards

ltraffis wrote:Large (seven siblings) & fun family that has acquired a taste for good wine! But the half that lives out of town missed a great time! If everyone would have shown up, we would have needed a barrel of juice! It's kind of hard to make it in from Washington state, Colorado, and Kentucky this early in the holiday season.

Eric and Phillip Titus are actually 2 of 4 brothers - all about a year or so apart - so all under the age of 5 at one point. On that note, their mom's amazing - she could run a small country. They have all lived in the family farmhouse which is where we run the business from currently, and they always say "if these wall could talk..." I'm guessing you probably have a good idea of what they mean by that.

EmilyTitusVineyards

balsam2 wrote:I bought "Lot 1" last time this winery was featured on woot. VERY solid wine. I hope this one is as good

I count on you calling us out if this wine does anything less than exceed your expectations. There's just too much great wine out there to drink anything but...

tomatillo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages tomatillo

(Apologies to Emily)
EHP hijack.

http://wine.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=2779049&PageIndex=24&ReplyCount=932

Any more of you have new observations relative to the Woot EHP after you've tasted it? Surprising (to me) comments towards the end of the thread ref'd above.

Now, back to Titus.

EmilyTitusVineyards

tomatillo wrote:(Apologies to Emily)
EHP hijack.

http://wine.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=2779049&PageIndex=24&ReplyCount=932

Any more of you have new observations relative to the Woot EHP after you've tasted it? Surprising (to me) comments towards the end of the thread ref'd above.

Now, back to Titus.

Absolutely no apology necessary, this is what your community is all about and how you get to learn more about your palate, your likes and dislikes. I'll leave it at that before I get defensive about the wine which is not the point.

EmilyTitusVineyards

Hmmm...I'm trying to think of something else that my help illuminate your decision to buy/not buy our Cabernet without being familiar with our brand. Phillip Titus, our winemaker, is also the full-time winemaker for Chappellet and has been for almost 20 years for those of you who are familiar with those wines.

Eric took the farming over from his Dad, so these guys are generation #2, and they're making wine from the 45+ acres of valley floor vineyards they grew up on in St. Helena. This is the real deal, it's absolutely their livelihood.

tkastorff

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tkastorff
EmilyTitusVineyards wrote:Hmmm...I'm trying to think of something else that my help illuminate your decision to buy/not buy our Cabernet without being familiar with our brand. Phillip Titus, our winemaker, is also the full-time winemaker for Chappellet and has been for almost 20 years for those of you who are familiar with those wines.

Eric took the farming over from his Dad, so these guys are generation #2, and they're making wine from the 45+ acres of valley floor vineyards they grew up on in St. Helena. This is the real deal, it's absolutely their livelihood.

I am not a Merlot fan, but I was gifted a Chappellet Merlot and it was bomb. So to me that is a plus about the winemaker.

But with 100+ wines in a 100 bottle fridge, including dozens of pricey Cabs, I am doubtful on this one. Don't really need any more $30+ bottles, especially with xmas shopping to do... but man I would love to pick this up... will be down to the Wed night wire on in or out....

w.w bottles| 308 L: Spelletich Lodi Sangiovese

"Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad wine"

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
jwhite6114 wrote:Seeing as she is a g/f, and not a SWMBO, it can't really be all that serious anyway, right? Seems, then, that wine is the correct choice.

nice advice

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
EmilyTitusVineyards wrote:I count on you calling us out if this wine does anything less than exceed your expectations. There's just too much great wine out there to drink anything but...

That's admirable. I love that attitude! I'll be absolutely sure to let you know if that's the case. I'm not a shy guy

I have a bottle of your '05 PS that I need to commit infanticide by popping at some point point along with TMR doing it simultaneously at his place. (I was a labrat for the Lot 1 and loved it)

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
Corrado wrote:This falls squarely in the "wine-I-want-but-SIWBM-prevails" category. Maybe CIWBM is more accurate since I'm writing a $1500 check to our Contractor today for new windows.

I hope they wash them for you at least.

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
EmilyTitusVineyards wrote:Hmmm...I'm trying to think of something else that my help illuminate your decision to buy/not buy our Cabernet without being familiar with our brand. Phillip Titus, our winemaker, is also the full-time winemaker for Chappellet and has been for almost 20 years for those of you who are familiar with those wines.

Chappellet Pritchard Hill '03 is my parents' favorite Cab Franc.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

EmilyTitusVineyards

Loweeel wrote:That's admirable. I love that attitude! I'll be absolutely sure to let you know if that's the case. I'm not a shy guy

I have a bottle of your '05 PS that I need to commit infanticide by popping at some point point along with TMR doing it simultaneously at his place. (I was a labrat for the Lot 1 and loved it)

Wow, infanticide huh? I never considered this and am not sure how I feel about being guilty of this as well in addition to even encouraging it as I think t he 05 Petite Sirah is drinking great right now. It's kind of a gentle giant for Petite Sirah because it does let you in there straight away believe it or not.

EmilyTitusVineyards

tkastorff wrote:I am not a Merlot fan, but I was gifted a Chappellet Merlot and it was bomb. So to me that is a plus about the winemaker.

But with 100+ wines in a 100 bottle fridge, including dozens of pricey Cabs, I am doubtful on this one. Don't really need any more $30+ bottles, especially with xmas shopping to do... but man I would love to pick this up... will be down to the Wed night wire on in or out....

where there's a window there's a way, I'll keep working on you - you can run but you can't hide

bhodilee

EmilyTitusVineyards wrote:Wow, infanticide huh? I never considered this and am not sure how I feel about being guilty of this as well in addition to even encouraging it as I think t he 05 Petite Sirah is drinking great right now. It's kind of a gentle giant for Petite Sirah because it does let you in there straight away believe it or not.

So then you're a fan of PS in general?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

EmilyTitusVineyards

bhodilee wrote:So then you're a fan of PS in general?

Absolutely!

saxwizerd45

quality posts: 9 Private Messages saxwizerd45
bhodilee wrote:So then you're a fan of PS in general?

Emily, your response to this question might prompt phone number requests, long, PS-related sonnets, and would probably make you the darling of this message board (at least for a few), so consider your answer carefully!

It is well to remember that there are five reasons for drinking: the arrival of a friend; one's present or future thirst; the excellence of the wine; or any other reason.

bhodilee

saxwizerd45 wrote:Emily, your response to this question might prompt phone number requests, long, PS-related sonnets, and would probably make you the darling of this message board (at least for a few), so consider your answer carefully!

I admit, it was a leading question

EmilyTitusVineyards

saxwizerd45 wrote:Emily, your response to this question might prompt phone number requests, long, PS-related sonnets, and would probably make you the darling of this message board (at least for a few), so consider your answer carefully!

So, thinking carefully before admitting/including PS inspired poetry, fast cars and long walks on the beach to one's profile is advisable

saxwizerd45

quality posts: 9 Private Messages saxwizerd45
EmilyTitusVineyards wrote:Absolutely!

Oh no... I was too late...hehe

And this is getting totally off-topic, but I've only ever had one PS and it was a fire-breathing-tannin-monster, so I don't know what to make of them. I just have to try more! Back on topic, I'm excited to have picked up a set of this cab!

It is well to remember that there are five reasons for drinking: the arrival of a friend; one's present or future thirst; the excellence of the wine; or any other reason.

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
saxwizerd45 wrote:Oh no... I was too late...hehe

And this is getting totally off-topic, but I've only ever had one PS and it was a fire-breathing-tannin-monster, so I don't know what to make of them. I just have to try more! Back on topic, I'm excited to have picked up a set of this cab!

I've had two and I'm going to Dark and Delicious where I'm guessing people will laugh as I'm quickly overwhelmed.

CT

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
rpm wrote:Indeed. Both the reviewer's description and Parker's indicate fruit bomb made for current drinking. The pH and alcohol levels are consistent with that.

Many wooters will undoubtedly like this wine very much. Ty Caton fans especially. Given that I prefer traditionally structured Cabernet Sauvignon wines built to age 20 years, with lower alcohol, lower pH, and more tannin on release (hard to describe, when it's just right - you know it when you see it), I don't think I would be one of them.

si. You said it not me. The amount of people here who insist they don't like fruit forward over ripe wines that continuously buy Ty Caton and maybe this wine astounds me.

clayfu

thetong wrote:I think Parker missed the mark a bit with his score. The wine has really nice acidity, structure, and loads of cherry and tobacco. It is a really nice cab, especially for the price. I preferred the 2005 Titus to the 2005 Caymus if that helps put it in perspective.

If they shipped to NJ I'd be in for 2. I pay $39/bottle, so paying $32/bottle with shipping is a solid deal.

The two wines are not meant for comparison. Caymus has never been a ripe fruit forward wine.

clayfu

Chappellet is the real deal. Great wine at reasonable prices.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
EmilyTitusVineyards wrote:Absolutely!

So we'll see you at Dark & Delicious in February?

You don't happen to be a single, short, red-headed, intelligent jew, do you?

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

gcdyersb

quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb
clayfu wrote:The two wines are not meant for comparison. Caymus has never been a ripe fruit forward wine.

I see what you're saying in terms of stylistic differences and (perhaps) one being intended for drinking in youth, the other requiring aging. But why shouldn't someone be able to compare one to the other and state a preference at a given time?

The way you phrased this makes you come off as pretentious instead of knowledgeable. If you really need the ego boost of discounting another person's opinion on an anonymous forum, then I'm not going to make any headway here.

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.