+ Add a Comment

dayoff53

quality posts: 6 Private Messages dayoff53
iByron wrote:With .78g/l RS and acidity of 0.726 this wine is clearly dry (though the Tøøthstejnn had lower RS and unreported acidity). To say "not dry by any means" seems a bit of an overstatement.

There are those that confuse fruitiness with lack of dryness. Understandable, since the fruitier wines give the illusion of sweetness, if not the actual sugar. While I may be a relative novice as a wine con-a-sewer, I appreciate preciseness in language - it's an occupational disease. For me, it is not inconsistent to say the wine is DRY and FRUITY. So, iByron, I agree with you that .78g/l RS indicates a dry wine.

DayOff53
my cellar

aces219

quality posts: 5 Private Messages aces219

oh, I get it, tmr is like 30 Rock!

UncleFroG

quality posts: 3 Private Messages UncleFroG

Really loved the last Woot Cellars offering... guess I'll go in for one of these too...

12 Bags of Crap and counting!

gstine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gstine
dherbie wrote:In for a case. Can't wait to give this one out (and keep a few bottles for myself of course!). Had the same problems as everyone else ordering but now I can get some work done : )

Same here: In for Two...six for gifts and six to keep.

Way to go Woot!

-glen

pomodesign

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pomodesign

Sheesh. Tried to get an order in on time to be considered for Rat-hood, but the servers are acting like it's a Bandolier of Carrots. Finally got in for one.

alien88

quality posts: 18 Private Messages alien88
alien88 wrote:And I used my birthday coupon last week thinking it'd be my last chance... ugh! I want to order but I know that I've already spent enough on w.w lately!!

What shall I do!

Oh what the hell. In for 1. I'm sure it'll taste good with the cheese and my friends will enjoy the gift bottles. As one of them says, "Woot is the home shopping network for geeks"

wooters.us - scoring more bags of Koi for you than others.

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity

I opened my bottle last night, in anticipation of this offering. I tasted it at the Vegas tasting also, and enjoyed it, and I did not taste anywhere close to the 30+ bottles many others tasted, mainly because I manned the BBQ for the pork and lamb.

Opened the bottle, 1st sniff: very musty. The color was lighter than I anticipated, very pretty and bright.
After a few minutes: musty, herbal (bay leaf?) boysenberry, cherry, tobacco.
1st taste: berries, spice, tobacco. Very dry, acidic*, medium tannins**
2nd taste, after 1/2 hour: more berries, still some spice, pepper, less tobacco.
1 hour later, with homemade pizza: smoother tasting, good with food.

edit: I did not buy the Tøøthstejnn (shocking, I know), so can't compare. I'll look forward to what Cheron has to say when she compares the 2, or anyone else willing to pop a couple for the team.
*Acidic in a good way, for me. I knew it would pair better with food.
**The tannins here make me think decanting or opening ahead of serving is a must. I think it would benefit from a pour through a venturi (mine will be under the tree, I hope!). I enjoyed it more after an hour. I'm definitely holding a bottle for next year to see what happens with the flavors.

This is a fine party wine, a tasty addition to the mix, and a good buy for the price. And then gift bags! Thanks WD!

nallie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages nallie
yellowroe wrote:Two buck chuck is now 3 bucks. I agree toothsteynn just was the worst of all my wootings. Still holding out on today's woot because I fear it will just be like that one.

Comparing a sangiovese to a supertuscan is like comparing hersey's milk chocolate to chuao dark chocolates. Some prefer one, some prefer the other, but the latter has so much more depth of flavor, complexity and finish that it is almost unwise to call them both chocolate.

I am not partial to sangioveses. Probably because I grew up on cabernets, I find sangioveses, to my taste, thin and uninteresting. This wine is only slightly more than half (57%)sangiovese grapes. The rest of the blend is cab and merlot, which each add structure and depth.

The first thing I noticed about this wine was the balance, which I personally find critical to a good wine and typically is lacking in inexpensive wines. The next was complexity; for a wine in this price range this was particularly unexpected. It is fruity, but -as iByron says - could not be considered sweet. Perfect for parties and sipping alone, it would also pair nicely with many standard American dinners. In my opinion, a successful supertuscan for $10 is unbelievable. I'm already in for a case and am toying with getting another, even though I have over $4,000 worth of wine in my wine credenza right now.

Buy before it bounces, babies. Once that button starts bouncing, the servers will crash harder than javadrinker after a Vegas weekend at Hooters <Love you, Javadrinker.>

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." - h.keller
"If you can do something about it, there is no need to worry. If you cannot do anything about it, there is no use in worrying." - j.white (and also Shantideva)

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
aces219 wrote:oh, I get it, tmr is like 30 Rock!

oh noes, what have i gotten myself into: can you please explain what this means? and please don't use any big words. i'm ESL 'member? :P

do you know... what biodynamics is?

TacoPizzaBob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TacoPizzaBob

I would like to be considered for lab rattage. Had to check with the wife and she was on board with the purchase, but once I finally got ahold of her, then the woot servers weren't responding.

Finally got my order placed, but not until close to 10:30 instead of 10:00...

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
TacoPizzaBob wrote:I would like to be considered for lab rattage. Had to check with the wife and she was on board with the purchase, but once I finally got ahold of her, then the woot servers weren't responding.

Finally got my order placed, but not until close to 10:30 instead of 10:00...

you should be ratted just for having the decency to check with your SO. which most of us here avoid like the plague. WD, i'm sure WF will understand the significance of this, so rat this man will ya?

do you know... what biodynamics is?

subinsignia

quality posts: 9 Private Messages subinsignia

Looks interesting, but I have a ton of Noceto's sangio sitting around. This is a super-tuscan blend, tho.

Steve Jones

corran24

quality posts: 2 Private Messages corran24

my first wine.woot! i usually just sit back and let all this wonderful vino get bought up by other winos, but seeing as how it is the holidays, i figured i'd jump onboard this time. i'm very excited from the reviews given to this one and i hope the casual wine drinkers i'm buying this for can appreciate what sounds like a fairly complex wine, especially for the price.

oh, and here's hoping for labrattage. would make a great birthday present =]

TacoPizzaBob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TacoPizzaBob
themostrighteous wrote:you should be ratted just for having the decency to check with your SO. which most of us here avoid like the plague. WD, i'm sure WF will understand the significance of this, so rat this man will ya?

Thanks for having my back. I whole-heartedly agree with this: "If the wife ain't happy, ain't nobody happy"... so try to live by that motto!

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney
pengu1n wrote:Anyone having issues, my guess is you are using IE? My co-woker would get an Error 500 using IE, and it worked great in FireFox.

This wine is not dry by any means. I don't think I have had a dry sangiovese from Noceto yet either from the wine club. Not sure where Lighter got that from. I would say that this one is more of a fruit bomb/sweeter than the Toothstejn for those who want to know.

no luck on firefox, been trying to buy for an hour now, aaaarg

Edit: Decided to try refreshing once more before lunch and to my amazement.... Last wooter to woot: bkarney ha ha

Oh yeah, 25 w.w purchases!! I'm FINALLY pure!!! woohoooo

CT

jawlz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz

Woot Cellars = automatic in-for-max. I love super tuscans, and this looks good.

Is this the same winery that put together the Tooth?

Also, server problems like crazy on this! What is this, a Bandolier of Carrots? I mean, I know woot cellars offerings sell out all the time, but I've never seen wine.woot be this temperamental before!

winegirl

quality posts: 20 Private Messages winegirl

Glad I peaked in this morning. In for the one, the grape combination has me intrigued. Plus I was totally sold on the emergency gift thing. Now I will be prepared. Gotta support my local peeps. Hope all the winewooters are doing well and Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

~Winegirl

aces219

quality posts: 5 Private Messages aces219
themostrighteous wrote:oh noes, what have i gotten myself into: can you please explain what this means? and please don't use any big words. i'm ESL 'member? :P

Humor so dry that the majority of the American populace doesn't get it.

I have a very dry sense of humor and your humor was too dry for me this time!

GvnMcCld

quality posts: 6 Private Messages GvnMcCld

I'm in for this of course, but wish I could have used my Birthday coupon on it...been trying to get that coupon most of the month now with no luck

I'm subscribed to the newsletter now (didn't realize i wasn't before) so I guess next woot birthday i'll get a coupon.

transit1585

quality posts: 0 Private Messages transit1585

My Fist woot....what a hoot!!! Is this thing on......................oh.

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
nallie wrote:Comparing a sangiovese to a supertuscan is like comparing hersey's milk chocolate to chuao dark chocolates. Some prefer one, some prefer the other, but the latter has so much more depth of flavor, complexity and finish that it is almost unwise to call them both chocolate.

I am not partial to sangioveses. Probably because I grew up on cabernets, I find sangioveses, to my taste, thin and uninteresting. This wine is only slightly more than half (57%)sangiovese grapes. The rest of the blend is cab and merlot, which each add structure and depth.

The first thing I noticed about this wine was the balance, which I personally find critical to a good wine and typically is lacking in inexpensive wines. The next was complexity; for a wine in this price range this was particularly unexpected. It is fruity, but -as iByron says - could not be considered sweet. Perfect for parties and sipping alone, it would also pair nicely with many standard American dinners. In my opinion, a successful supertuscan for $10 is unbelievable. I'm already in for a case and am toying with getting another, even though I have over $4,000 worth of wine in my wine credenza right now.

Buy before it bounces, babies. Once that button starts bouncing, the servers will crash harder than javadrinker after a Vegas weekend at Hooters <Love you, Javadrinker.>

Nallie, the problem with "Super Tuscan" is has zero inherent meaning. It probably can be used to describe a wine that does not include sangiovese. In this case, it's not even grown in Tuscany, which is the relevant point of the name attribution. IGT either means a $250 bottle of Gaja or some type of irrelevant swill. Italian wine designations are uninformative at best and misleading at worst.

That said, I love sangiovese and think it's a magnificent grape. I Believe the toothstain will last years and it has the taste of an 'honest wine', not overoaked or filled with RS. If I'd only had straw bottles of 'chianti', I too would balk at the prospect of believing in a well conceived sangiovese. Most low-end Italian wine belongs on the shelf at the store or possibly in a cooking pot, but that doesn't hold true for rosso and brunello di montalcinos or reserve chiantis, which can age for decades potentially without complain. But what if you'd only had the wretched mass produced Cabernet Sauvignon of california and france?

signed.

Walstib

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Walstib
jringold wrote: I just weaned my baby and can now really enjoy wine beyond a small glass! How about some rattage for an exhausted, but utterly fabulous mother??

Makes a strong case for teh labrat.

slightlyslapdash

quality posts: 8 Private Messages slightlyslapdash
bkarney wrote:no luck on firefox, been trying to buy for an hour now, aaaarg

Edit: Decided to try refreshing once more before lunch and to my amazement.... Last wooter to woot: bkarney ha ha

Oh yeah, 25 w.w purchases!! I'm FINALLY pure!!! woohoooo

WTG and welcome to the 25 & up club!!!!!

=(|) woot monkeys rock. \m/(>.<)\m/

marekny7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marekny7

In for two. SIWBM is in the near future for me.

CT

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 49 Private Messages SmilingBoognish
canonizer wrote:Nallie, the problem with "Super Tuscan" is has zero inherent meaning. It probably can be used to describe a wine that does not include sangiovese. In this case, it's not even grown in Tuscany, which is the relevant point of the name attribution. IGT either means a $250 bottle of Gaja or some type of irrelevant swill. Italian wine designations are uninformative at best and misleading at worst.

That said, I love sangiovese and think it's a magnificent grape. I Believe the toothstain will last years and it has the taste of an 'honest wine', not overoaked or filled with RS. If I'd only had straw bottles of 'chianti', I too would balk at the prospect of believing in a well conceived sangiovese. Most low-end Italian wine belongs on the shelf at the store or possibly in a cooking pot, but that doesn't hold true for rosso and brunello di montalcinos or reserve chiantis, which can age for decades potentially without complain. But what if you'd only had the wretched mass produced Cabernet Sauvignon of california and france?

Having spent some time in Tuscany, I think they keep the best stuff for themselves!

Naimanator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Naimanator

In for one!

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm
winegirl wrote:Glad I peaked in this morning. In for the one, the grape combination has me intrigued. Plus I was totally sold on the emergency gift thing. Now I will be prepared. Gotta support my local peeps. Hope all the winewooters are doing well and Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

~Winegirl

Winegirl's in the house!

Rockhawks1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Rockhawks1

Can someone send me the code or tell me how to post a picture here?

btw...
First sucker: joelsisk
Speed to first woot: 0m 2.890s

Last wooter to woot: Rockhawks1

Represent!!!

tomatillo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages tomatillo
slightlyslapdash wrote:WTG and welcome to the 25 & up club!!!!!

Ahhhh........to be 25 again!
Those were the days.

nallie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages nallie
canonizer wrote:Nallie, the problem with "Super Tuscan" is has zero inherent meaning. It probably can be used to describe a wine that does not include sangiovese. In this case, it's not even grown in Tuscany, which is the relevant point of the name attribution. IGT either means a $250 bottle of Gaja or some type of irrelevant swill. Italian wine designations are uninformative at best and misleading at worst.

I'm sure you are correct in many of your points. As I tried to make clear, I was describing my opinion based on my experience. You have wisely challenged me to give high end sangioveses a chance, and I will. As for the term supertuscan, it has never been intended as a regional designation, more a description of a style. I use it as it is used in The Wine Bible by Karen MacNeil: as a consumer term for typically Italian wines aimed at a more international market and made in a more flamboyant style than a traditional chianti. Often, these supertuscans use sangiovese as their backbone, as does this offering. So, I'm comfortable with my terminology but appreciate your encouragement to broaden my view on stand alone sangioveses. (I think you’re just picking on me because we disagree so often in the politics thread. )

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." - h.keller
"If you can do something about it, there is no need to worry. If you cannot do anything about it, there is no use in worrying." - j.white (and also Shantideva)

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

Rockhawks1 wrote:Can someone send me the code or tell me how to post a picture here?

You need to use [img] tags.

Click the "Formatting Guide" link to the left of the message box that comes up when you hit reply.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
nallie wrote:I'm sure you are correct in many of your points. As I tried to make clear, I was describing my opinion based on my experience. You have wisely challenged me to give high end sangioveses a chance, and I will. As for the term supertuscan, it has never been intended as a regional designation, more a description of a style. I use it as it is used in The Wine Bible by Karen MacNeil: as a consumer term for typically Italian wines aimed at a more international market and made in a more flamboyant style than a traditional chianti. Often, these supertuscans use sangiovese as their backbone, as does this offering. So, I'm comfortable with my terminology but appreciate your encouragement to broaden my view on stand alone sangioveses. (I think you’re just picking on me because we disagree so often in the politics thread. )

Oh, you. And here I've only fired rifles and never picked up a handgun. I think a few of us managed to prove that it is possible to have a conversation about politics without sharing each others' views whole-cloth.

I just find Italy's wine designations microcosmic of the country's consistent state of confusion. Until recently, Chianti, by law, had to include a certain amount of several different grapes. Winemakers, losing market share, revolted and pointed towards 'better' wines that only included sangiovese. Unlike France, whose designations go back centuries, Italy seems much more reactionary.

But it doesn't even need to be high end. I'd look for a well respected chianti/sangiovese from '97 or '99, two well regarded harvests, and give them a try. Trying a Rosso or Brunello from those years would also be interesting.

signed.

Rockhawks1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Rockhawks1

Now I get to add another bottle to my woot winery collection...

See picture here that I cant figure out how to post in this box!!!!

Corrosive

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Corrosive

First Wine.Woot for me... Very exciting seeing as its a Woot Cellars offering. I just got my LVL 1 Sommelier cert last night (Through the guild of sommeliers), so a 6 pack gift to me only sounds fitting. Cant wait to read more Labrat tasting notes.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
Corrosive wrote:First Wine.Woot for me... Very exciting seeing as its a Woot Cellars offering. I just got my LVL 1 Sommelier cert last night (Through the guild of sommeliers), so a 6 pack gift to me only sounds fitting. Cant wait to read more Labrat tasting notes.

Congrats on the Sommelier cert!!!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
themostrighteous wrote:oh, lord, not you too...

dearest fellow wine.wooters,

i was merely having a little bit of fun at the expense of those fortunate enough to attend The Vegas Extravaganza which weekend-of-fun-in-the-desert-sun i desperately wish i could have joined. that is all. that my sense of humor was found lacking otherwise is clear beyond a reasonable doubt.

most humbly (as i am most righteously) yours,

tmr

NOTE: not that i thought for a minute that anything i have to say about a wine that i have not sampled would in any way impact its likely sellout before day's end.

EDIT: special apologies to cheron who, unwittingly, bore the brunt of my unfunny funnies.

You've been away from the pub, the accepted means of displaying sarcasm is Italics this holds true for everyone except me, because nothing I say is to be taken seriously. I believe Jwhite even added that when I'm serious I should use Italics just to give people a heads up.

both times I put [/url] tool

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
cheron98 wrote:I don't have a left side to my brain

Ah. It becomes clear. You only have half a brain!!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
dayoff53 wrote:There are those that confuse fruitiness with lack of dryness. Understandable, since the fruitier wines give the illusion of sweetness, if not the actual sugar. While I may be a relative novice as a wine con-a-sewer, I appreciate preciseness in language - it's an occupational disease. For me, it is not inconsistent to say the wine is DRY and FRUITY. So, iByron, I agree with you that .78g/l RS indicates a dry wine.

You're not female, single, redheaded and Jewish, with an appreciation for FACE SMASHING TANNINS are you? Cause if so, I've got this guy I've GOT to introduce you to.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

woopdedoo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages woopdedoo
themostrighteous wrote:YOU WILL MOST DEFINITELY BE S.O.L. it just ain't gonna happen, boys & girls, and i'm willing to stake my rep on it. don't say you haven't been warned!

And that rep would be ... ?

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
Rockhawks1 wrote:Now I get to add another bottle to my woot winery collection...

See picture here that I cant figure out how to post in this box!!!!

You use img in brackets around the url info, and end it with the /img. It also has to be an image, so you have to right click and select properties to see the image file info.

Like this (click Reply to see code):

Nice Pic by the way. Although the bottom right (tooth & humbug) are a little blurry ....

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.