UncleFroG

quality posts: 3 Private Messages UncleFroG

I love Point Reyes... this is a no-brainer for me... woot!

12 Bags of Crap and counting!

elizabethw

quality posts: 2 Private Messages elizabethw
aares wrote:
Bring on the one bottle wines (that are $10 or less), and just drop the cheese and other foods.

I'm sure your little shoppe of wine has plenty of sub-ten-buck bottles to satisfy you. And your three block walk is surely cheaper than paying shipping.

As for here at wine.woot!, no thanks on the one bottle -- I don't want to pay $5 shipping on one. And am in favor of the variety selections -- never gotten a bad bottle in the bunch. But you'd need to make a purchase yourself to know that...

Woots: woot x19 (incl 1 Baggie of Cthulhu which was 1 too many), wine x7 (incl Ty Caton trio - yum!), sellout x7, kids x6 (expect many more of these), shirt x5

Daystar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Daystar

Cypress makes a cheese called Midnight Moon. It's divine. I really suggest you guys check it out.

http://www.cypressgrovechevre.com/cheeses/PDFs/midnightMoon.pdf

WD....put wheels of this up and I'll take 3!

Alright....here goes. My first cheese woot. : )

threemoons

quality posts: 18 Private Messages threemoons

Nevermind that I still am working on tons of CSA cheese. Cheese from last Cheese Wootoff is going to Mom's for Thanksgiving (well, half of it anyway). Guess we're having cheese for ChanukkahMas also...

...mmmm....cheeeeze.....

chazstuff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chazstuff
runtlee wrote:Couple of questions before I bite.

How long will this stuff last in the fridge?

can it be frozen without losing to much of the texture/flavor?

/\/\ bump for good questions. Anyone know??

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
southamptonkitty wrote:Are you kidding me???? Its Beaujolais day and they offer me cheese. *single tear* I was really hoping...

Dream on. The only really big deal about third Thursday in November is if you can drink it that day. Go to the store, buy it, and drink it today. Tomorrow or next week, all the mystique is gone, and the quality of the wine doesn't usually make up for that loss.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

McHaggis

quality posts: 2 Private Messages McHaggis

(EDIT: whoops...meant to quote the earlier comment that the Pointe Reyes is great stuff)

Well now I know about 2 of the 3. I recently tried the Purple Haze and it was really fantastic. You definitely get the floral flavor of the lavender and it manages to be delicious. Didn't remind me of soap in the least, which I might have expected. ;)

The same maker has a truffled goat cheese that's also excellent and considerably stinkier. Went great with some pears cooked with butter and brown sugar.

So who's tried the gouda?

anmeeks

quality posts: 1 Private Messages anmeeks

Seriously, you have to be over 21 to get the cheese?

boaz38

quality posts: 2 Private Messages boaz38

i want to send this as a gift...............i checked the box, so do i fill out the info below that where my regular ship to address is..........with the new addy where my gift is going...........i dunno.......help me obi wan........you're our only hope

azmanzanita

quality posts: 0 Private Messages azmanzanita
anmeeks wrote:Seriously, you have to be over 21 to get the cheese?

I'd like to know the answer to this before I order. Is it shipped as if it were booze even though it's cheese? Because that would be really crappy.

boaz38

azmanzanita wrote:I'd like to know the answer to this before I order. Is it shipped as if it were booze even though it's cheese? Because that would be really crappy.

no you dont have to be 21, only for alcohol delivery's...........you wouldn't want your teen to drink all of your Cab, do you? good day

dmpower

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dmpower

DARN!!

I just ordered the trio of cheeses but didn't double check the shipping address!!!
Looks like my son at college is going to get almost 3 lbs of cheese delivered just in time for finals!

I'm sure he'll be thrilled, but there won't be much left for Christmas!!

That's what I get for sending a woot! T-shirt directly to him at school.

jokofoto

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jokofoto

The Purple Haze is fantastic. Delicious.
So good, that I was in for 1 before I read any comments about the other cheeses.

The Point Reyes sounds very interesting.

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
dmpower wrote:DARN!!

I just ordered the trio of cheeses but didn't double check the shipping address!!!
Looks like my son at college is going to get almost 3 lbs of cheese delivered just in time for finals!

Email service@woot.com with your order number (when contacting them I usually just forward my confirmation email to them) and ask them to change the shipping address. If they get to it in time, they'll change the address for you. Just like when people email service to increase the quantity of their order.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

HitAnyKey42

I'm actually trying to decide if I want to get an order of the cheese this time around. I ordered the Three Sisters one and have that sitting in my fridge right now waiting for when I'll actually get around to opening them.
I did quite enjoy the Gouda which we got sent by WD to us for the NYC WWT#6 and it was rather quite tasty. I'm not a huge fan of Blue however, but everyone has said such great things about the Pointe Reyes that it's getting hard to resist getting a set.
I think I'd like to hear some more details from the cheesemaker or someone to advise one specifics of each cheese with regards to how long they'll last unopened, best way to store them AFTER opening (and how long they'll last after opening), and what types of foods & wines each cheese would go best with. If I get some good input on that, then maybe I'll be in for an order. Otherwise, I suppose I can get myself to pass and wait for something else.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

filteauf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages filteauf

I wish that box said "Need something to be thankful for? Pick this up and we guarantee you'll get it in time for Thanksgiving." instead of what it does say. I'd have ordered it anyways, and I suppose I still have about 4 oz of Serenita and a block of Serena left, but I like variety in my cheese consumption.

LittleJohn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LittleJohn

Im in for one. I missed out on the 3 sisters cheese trying to get my birthday code to work last month (never did get a resolution)
Decided I needed this cheese.
BTW, if Woot decides to sell the 3 sisters again, Im in for at least 2!!!!!

silent7seven

quality posts: 12 Private Messages silent7seven
cheron98 wrote:Yeah, it's also not whine.woot.

Sorry, had to. Seriously I don't understand why there's all this fuss about having non-wine items up, but are still wine related. WD goes through a lot to find high quality stuff for us to enjoy WITH our wine. I for one appreciate it. If you (the general you, not you in particular 7) don't want to partake of the item simply because it's non-wine, I feel sorry for you - you're missing out. But that's your choice.

Well played.

I would be very pleased to see a wine and cheese pairing. Say two bottles and one wheel. I love cheese, but I don't 3 lbs love it.

---------------------------
And so we go, on with our lives
We know the truth, but prefer lies
Lies are simple, simple is bliss
Why go against tradition when we can
Admit defeat, live in decline

southamptonkitty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages southamptonkitty
runtlee wrote:

Im just one person, and I doubt I can eat almost 3lbs of cheese before it goes bad

Isn't cheese already 'bad'? Can it get worse? Or just grow other shiznit?
<--- lactose intolerant, knows nothing about cheese

Kitty Ski

billdacook

quality posts: 0 Private Messages billdacook

okay, here goes.
i am a cheesemonger at a high end store that specializes in american made, artesinal cheeses, dont believe me, check it out, farmsteadinc.com, and i answer these questions all the time.
DO NOT FREEZE CHEESE!
with that said, lemme explain, cheese is actually a "living, breathing" thing, but it wont go bad on you, because, it kinda already is "bad"
the bacterial cultures that are used to give each cheese its unique flavor and texture usually take months if not years, to get the cheese to where the cheesemake wants it, soo some time in your fridge isnt gonna kill it, it will just be more aged when you get to it
the important part is that you wrap it tightly in plastic, but also remove the wrap about every 3-4 days, maybe once a week, check for unwanted mold, scrape it off, if its there, and re wrap. this will really only take about 5 minutes. as for "what is unwanted mold", none of it will kill you, it just might not taste that good, and really, just scrape it off with a small knfe, but dont srape off too much of the cheese, you dont want to waste it! eat the goat cheese first, then it doesnt matter which one next, as they are bothe aged.
we wouls ell this for about 60 bucks in my shop, and we do carry the point reyes, and some cypress grove products, but not this one.
this is a good buy

bob202

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bob202

Thank you so much for not referring to them as "artis[u]anal[/u]". With artisans making artisan cheeses, I always wonder who (or what) is making artis[u]anal[/u] cheeses.

krissyMS

quality posts: 5 Private Messages krissyMS

When in california two years ago, I had the Point Reyes, and the Purple Haze. The bleu is the best hands down, and the haze was so yummy... the hint of lavender was intoxicating... Maybe it helped that we were in the Russian River Valley, going wine tasting, having a picnic in lavender fields, and drinking my favorite red - Bella's zin... count me in for 1!

solidus23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages solidus23

in for 1..

will be perfect at our holiday cocktail party

Dode1936

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dode1936
aares wrote:What the hell is this? Who the hell wants to spend $60 on wine, $50 on fruitcake, $40 on CHEESE, or $50 on truffles?? Seriously. If I want CHEESE, I will go to my local cheese market. If I want $60 worth of wine, I will go to my local wine shop which is three minutes from my house. If I want fruitcake...well, I never want fruitcake. If I want truffles, I will buy them at a much lower price at my local gourmet chocolate shop.

Bring on the one bottle wines (that are $10 or less), and just drop the cheese and other foods.

Obviously you are in the wrong place if you joined back in 06 and have no woots. Go somewhere else for your cheap wine purchases.

filpenny

quality posts: 9 Private Messages filpenny
dmpower wrote:DARN!!

I'm sure he'll be thrilled, but there won't be much left for Christmas!!

That's what I get for sending a woot! T-shirt directly to him at school.

This cheese isn't shipping until 1st week of December. Contact Woot and they should be able to change it for you.

kdeuce

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdeuce

"Cheese Gromit, cheese!"

too bad it isn't Wensleydale.

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity

We ratted the Gouda at the recent so-cal tasting event in Vegas. It was a really tasty representation of how a Gouda "should" taste. Most of what you get in the grocery store is very rubbery and has very little flavor, so if that's all you've ever tasted, then this will taste like a different cheese altogether. This is very flavorful for a mild Gouda; somehow the wrapper was tossed out; many of us thought it was the medium aged Gouda.** The brochure that came with the cheese listed their other cheeses, which sounded very interesting, including some Goudas aged well over a year. The Gouda was the first cheese to disappear off the cheese board that included both 3 Sisters, the Point Reyes I purchased locally, 2 other Goudas, both flavored, and the goat cheese, same brand different flavor.

The Point Reyes is one of my favorite blues. It is a well balanced creamy blue cheese that is wonderful with syrah. Did anyone try this with the Esoterica ports we opened?

The Cypress Grove goat cheese has a complex flavor that entices you to keep going back for "just one more bite".

**HAK, later I'll be posting in the drinking/imPairing thread about something I did with the 3 sisters that is so easy, and would be very impressive if you were to cook for someone else. I also had one of those "aha!" moments with the cheese and a wine about which I'll post.

boaz38

i want to send this as a gift...............i checked the box, so do i fill out the info below that where my regular ship to address is..........with the new addy where my gift is going...........i dunno.......help me obi wan........you're our only hope

winegeek

quality posts: 2 Private Messages winegeek
chazstuff wrote:/\/\ bump for good questions. Anyone know??

i love cheesus.... not an expert, but let me say that when i bought a big hunk o' aged gouda here earlier in the year, the directions strictly forbade freezing. however, for the gouda for sure, cutting off the green stuff that will grow on it will yield still good cheesus, and it'll last at least three months. can't speak to the softer stuff, but not sure it'll last that long in my house ;-)

i'm in for one...

woot to your mother!

chazstuff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chazstuff
billdacook wrote:okay, here goes.
i am a cheesemonger at a high end store <SNIP>

thanks for the info billdacook!
One other storage question, I try not to touch the cheese when cutting. Will touching cause mold to form especially if hands have been washed?

winegeek

quality posts: 2 Private Messages winegeek
krissyMS wrote:When in california two years ago, I had the Point Reyes, and the Purple Haze. The bleu is the best hands down, and the haze was so yummy... the hint of lavender was intoxicating... Maybe it helped that we were in the Russian River Valley, going wine tasting, having a picnic in lavender fields, and drinking my favorite red - Bella's zin... count me in for 1!

Bella!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sounds like a great pairing suggestion.

woot to your mother!

mlhelm

quality posts: 8 Private Messages mlhelm

Will there be labrats for this stuff, or did the "preview" tasting at the wine.woot gathering count? I'm just wondering cuz I'll be working from home the rest of this week, if anyone's interested in sending perishables my way. *wink*

more than enough wine.woots!

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
silent7seven wrote: Well played.

I would be very pleased to see a wine and cheese pairing. Say two bottles and one wheel. I love cheese, but I don't 3 lbs love it.

I like this idea

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
boaz38 wrote:i want to send this as a gift...............i checked the box, so do i fill out the info below that where my regular ship to address is..........with the new addy where my gift is going...........i dunno.......help me obi wan........you're our only hope

Yes, that is precisely what you do The ship-to address should always be the address you want the order shipped to. The "gift" checkbox pretty much just lets you place a secondary order so you can have one for yourself and one for someone else.

Favor, could you tone down the periods a little, please? Makes it a little difficult to read

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

HitAnyKey42

cheron98 wrote:Yes, that is precisely what you do The ship-to address should always be the address you want the order shipped to. The "gift" checkbox pretty much just lets you place a secondary order so you can have one for yourself and one for someone else.

The "gift" checkbox also makes it so the order ships with an "invoice" that doesn't have any prices on it, whereas not checking the box has an invoice with the price on it.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

skimock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skimock

oh yay, i can pad my stats with some cheese!!

duggaman57

quality posts: 0 Private Messages duggaman57

I'm so sick of all the dang cheese and chocolate carp. I want good deals on good wine. That is all. :-|

HitAnyKey42

duggaman57 wrote:I'm so sick of all the dang cheese and chocolate carp. I want good deals on good wine. That is all. :-|

Umm, dude. Try opening your eyes each week. We get good deals on good wine EVERY SINGLE WEEK (and most times twice each week). So quit your bitching when other good stuff is offered as well.
And you obviously don't buy all that often so why in the world would you even need wine up there for every offer. You're ain't even buying it when it IS there.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

boaz38

cheron98 wrote:Yes, that is precisely what you do The ship-to address should always be the address you want the order shipped to. The "gift" checkbox pretty much just lets you place a secondary order so you can have one for yourself and one for someone else.

Favor, could you tone down the periods a little, please? Makes it a little difficult to read

ohhh now i see, thank you very much cheron and i will try not to put too many periods on my posts.just a bad habit i picked up.

mopsie2002

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mopsie2002

I just...can't eat that much cheese. If it were just one (preferably a chevre...mmmmmmm), I'd be there, but three? No way would I make it before they all molded through, no matter how much I love cheese.

Oregonian through and through <3...even if I call North Carolina my home now.