boatman72


quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72
cheron98 wrote:Give him/her a break - has the same color square as you It's actually good to hear a club member say this is a great deal since the club members get the discounted prices anyway



I'll always question a first timer that does the promotional proclamation and speaks nothing of the great opportunity to Woot. I'd rather see them state that this is such a great deal, even as a club member, I've hit the three spot!

BTW...I purchase under another id. Anyone that been Wooting knows the wines are great deals. Have you no faith in WD? :wink :wink

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Hey Liz. Say something to me to convince me to buy a set of this.
I'm not much of a bubbly drinker and wouldn't know what to really pair it with or have it with or anything like that. What are some of your thoughts?
Also if I were to "sell" one of the 3 bottles to my mom for them to try out on NYE, which one should I send her way and which should I keep for myself?

I saw you stated the Brut Rose should be drunk within the next 6 months or so, but what about the other two? Do you have a cellaring window in your opinion for those? How long will they last and more importantly will either of them be better if they get cellared for a bit?

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

snichouse


quality posts: 1 Private Messages snichouse
boatman72 wrote:You buying at woot or just an inside promoter?


Nope, not an insider, just a wine lover. I have purchased several times from Woot. I am not buying this time because I just received 3 bottles of Mumms a few weeks ago and should have another shipment coming before the holidays.

snichouse


quality posts: 1 Private Messages snichouse
cheron98 wrote:Give him/her a break - has the same color square as you It's actually good to hear a club member say this is a great deal since the club members get the discounted prices anyway



Thanks! Some people need to be less suspicious!

nematic


quality posts: 6 Private Messages nematic
ddeuddeg wrote:School, and a busy time at the wineries where he works, no doubt.



Both - though crush finished last week for us, though I know at least a few other wineries who are still pressing (and, of course, there will be those poor souls picking in a foot of snow in the middle of the night in a month for icewines). But I'm also leaving for australia for a conference/fun trip, and have two talks to write, plus finish up a bunch of other stuff for the lab, so I'm spending a lot more time this week sitting around a computer.

good to be back, and glad to hear you again, liz!

smartheart


quality posts: 94 Private Messages smartheart

A swirling cloud of purple and orange mist just materialized at my front door....out stepped a beautiful female FedEx driver garbed in harem silks....bearing a bottle of Mumm Napa Brut Rose on a tasseled pillow.....she whispered: "Your first wish is already granted, Master."

Report to follow.


"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

jjhrad


quality posts: 1 Private Messages jjhrad

I just received a bottle of the 2003 and it is already in my mini fridge at work getting chilled. It looks like I will have to find something to celebrate tonight ;).

JJB

More is lost by indecision than by the wrong decision.

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
jjhrad wrote:I just received a bottle of the 2003 and it is already in my mini fridge at work getting chilled. It looks like I will have to find something to celebrate tonight ;).

JJB



Well that's easy - celebrate being chosen to be a labrat!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

Loweeel


quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
woopdedoo wrote:Hey Liz! Thanks again for the great time during our visit on the tour. Perhaps the sabers will be a side deal (WD?)



OH MAN. I would SO be in...

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
Loweeel wrote:OH MAN. I would SO be in...



Me too. I already have an Excalibur sword. I could always use a saber too.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

bubblykindagal


quality posts: 5 Private Messages bubblykindagal
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Hey Liz. Say something to me to convince me to buy a set of this.
I'm not much of a bubbly drinker and wouldn't know what to really pair it with or have it with or anything like that. What are some of your thoughts?
Also if I were to "sell" one of the 3 bottles to my mom for them to try out on NYE, which one should I send her way and which should I keep for myself?

I saw you stated the Brut Rose should be drunk within the next 6 months or so, but what about the other two? Do you have a cellaring window in your opinion for those? How long will they last and more importantly will either of them be better if they get cellared for a bit?



What are your mom's tastes? I would probably go with the Brut Rosé for her, it is more pinot fruit forward and has a wide appeal for those not familiar with bubbly. If she is a serious bubbly drinker, then I would go with the 2003 Blanc de Blancs. BdB can be hard to come by in general - regardless of sparkling wine house - and is usually very much appreciated by those that are familiar with bubbly and Champagne.

The 2001 Grande Annee is special to me, it is hard not to have a personal emotional connection to wine. In short, I get the warm fuzzies when I drink it (and not just from the alcohol). The 2003 Blanc de Blancs is really coming along nicely, as is the 2001 Grande Annee. Depending on if you like the more aromatic fruit forward wines or the more yeasty, toasty, carmelized wine is when to drink it. My favorite answer - buy a couple of sets, one for now and one for later ; - )

For perspective, we just released the 2001 DVX (50/50 Pinot to Chard blend) and I can't wait to see how it opens up over the next several years. I like older wine that has had the fruit fade slightly and has allowed the other elements to come forward.


Winedavid39


quality posts: 214 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

woopdedoo wrote:Hey Liz! Thanks again for the great time during our visit on the tour. Perhaps the sabers will be a side deal (WD?)



it IS easier to ship weapons than wine...

bubblykindagal


quality posts: 5 Private Messages bubblykindagal
Loweeel wrote:OH MAN. I would SO be in...



Wow, they don't allow me to play with sharp objects around here. Flying corks are enough of a liability I suppose. Didn't we talk about using a butter knife at one point to saber a bottle? But I guess that would not be an exciting side deal...

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
Winedavid39 wrote:it IS easier to ship weapons than wine...



Yeah, why is that? I mean, if a mass murderer were to intercept a weapon in transit, well now they've got a weapon. But if they intercept wine, all they get is drunk

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
bubblykindagal wrote: My favorite answer - buy a couple of sets, one for now and one for later ; - )



Now how'd I know you would say that...
I just don't think I can afford to go for two sets. You'll be lucky if I can convince myself to even go in for one.

My folx aren't big bubbly drinkers so I guess the Brut Rosé would be the one to have her try (especially since it's the "lower end" of the three...and I should keep the better ones for myself ) even though I don't know if I've ever had a Rosé bubbly.

I have been liking a lot of wines lately that have the fruit starting to mellow and other elements are coming forward. So you're saying for your own tastes you would lay the Annee down for a few more years before drinking it?

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
HitAnyKey42 wrote: even though I don't know if I've ever had a Rosé bubbly.



NoVA/DC #6 - sparkling durif. Or did you skip that one?

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cjsiege


quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Hey Liz. Say something to me to convince me to buy a set of this.



I'm not LIz, but I've got 1 word for you: Girlfriend!

A couple more words: If you don't buy this, you will probably regret it and we'll all think you are a doofus!

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
cjsiege wrote:I'm not LIz, but I've got 1 word for you: Girlfriend!

A couple more words: If you don't buy this, you will probably regret it and we'll all think you are a doofus!



Don't we anyway?

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
cheron98 wrote:NoVA/DC #6 - sparkling durif. Or did you skip that one?



Oh yeah, I had that one. Though didn't really care much for it at all. I might not have been in the right frame of mind for it either what with all the PS and other D&D's to come.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
cjsiege wrote:I'm not LIz, but I've got 1 word for you: Girlfriend!

A couple more words: If you don't buy this, you will probably regret it and we'll all think you are a doofus!



Well seeing as how the girl I thought I had the proper chemistry with to get things moving towards the girlfriend status has entered into some sort of "stressed out, not ready for a relationship or even dating" type thing, I don't have a girlfriend to pop open a bottle of bubbly to celebrate anything with.

Now as for me being a doofus....I already knew that, so you thinking that doesn't really change matters much in that respect either.

*sigh* Ok, maybe I'll go in for a set.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

ltraffis


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ltraffis
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Me too. I already have an Excalibur sword. I could always use a saber too.



Just think of all the fingers we'd be pickin up off the ground if we opened bottles with sabers and all of the glass we'd be swash buckling down. Arg me lads and lassies, how would we be pressin the BUTTON. Master WD would be amis if we had to peck with thine nostrils.

Since the talk is about sabers...almost forgot....I toast my fellow VETERANS with a fine glass of WOOTED wine and for those bravely and honorably serving our country in places where they can't raise a glass of spirits, I'll keep a glass in waiting. It's about that time to gather up some items to send them out for the holidays. Brandi Toffee would be nice...but it would be a solid block because of the heat. Always told - no chocolate, no alcohol....no wonder the place is a mess!! May God speed you all home safe. LAT

eric9tx


quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Well seeing as how the girl I thought I had the proper chemistry with to get things moving towards the girlfriend status has entered into some sort of "stressed out, not ready for a relationship or even dating" type thing, I don't have a girlfriend to pop open a bottle of bubbly to celebrate anything with.

Now as for me being a doofus....I already knew that, so you thinking that doesn't really change matters much in that respect either.

*sigh* Ok, maybe I'll go in for a set.



Just put a bottle under the box... wait a few minutes... and BAM! Instant girlfriend!

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
eric9tx wrote:Just put a bottle under the box... wait a few minutes... and BAM! Instant girlfriend!



It uh, doesn't work that way...

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

tenuki


quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
cheron98 wrote:It uh, doesn't work that way...



Yeah, you've gotta paint it pink first.

CT

boatman72


quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72
snichouse wrote:Nope, not an insider, just a wine lover. I have purchased several times from Woot. I am not buying this time because I just received 3 bottles of Mumms a few weeks ago and should have another shipment coming before the holidays.



Acceptable....hope to see you back. Seen some yada yada promoters that make one question the statements. Glad we have the "rats".

boatman72


quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72
eric9tx wrote:Just put a bottle under the box... wait a few minutes... and BAM! Instant girlfriend!



Best that she fled before she drank all your wine! Poor guy just got skunked, and he's sent a skunk box??? Place it next to the 'vette. If the 'vette is gone, you got hosed again. If it's in the box, you might be able to cuddle it. Now hope this doesn't start the other side key strokin'

KryseeMac


quality posts: 2 Private Messages KryseeMac
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Me too. I already have an Excalibur sword. I could always use a saber too.



I have the Celtic sword and a saber would be nice. Yep....real nice.

KryseeMac


quality posts: 2 Private Messages KryseeMac
eric9tx wrote:Just put a bottle under the box... wait a few minutes... and BAM! Instant girlfriend!



Better be careful....drinking buddy girlfriend....wino girlfriend.....

blusky558


quality posts: 1 Private Messages blusky558
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Well seeing as how the girl I thought I had the proper chemistry with to get things moving towards the girlfriend status has entered into some sort of "stressed out, not ready for a relationship or even dating" type thing, I don't have a girlfriend to pop open a bottle of bubbly to celebrate anything with.

Now as for me being a doofus....I already knew that, so you thinking that doesn't really change matters much in that respect either.

*sigh* Ok, maybe I'll go in for a set.




We met a very pretty "Moondragon" at CO #2. Think Nordc princess, with almost Masters in Vocal Performance. Want us to set you up? And she likes wine and she woots, what more could you ask for?

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Oh yeah, I had that one. Though didn't really care much for it at all. I might not have been in the right frame of mind for it either what with all the PS and other D&D's to come.



That was stronger than most Rosé Sparkling wines.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
blusky558 wrote:We met a very pretty "Moondragon" at CO #2. Think Nordc princess, with almost Masters in Vocal Performance. Want us to set you up? And she likes wine and she woots, what more could you ask for?



CO might be just a wee bit far. Find out if she's planning to move to the east coast anytime soon and then let me know.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

grammiedaboss2


quality posts: 0 Private Messages grammiedaboss2

Last Wooter to Woot: Grammiedaboss2. In for 3. Loved the last offering (when I was still Grammiedaboss. sigh)

If you want to taste it in a convivial setting, come to Grammie's Festive Wine Tasting! Details in the Community Forums.

Yes, this IS the real, original Grammie.
The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage. ~ Unknown

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
grammiedaboss2 wrote:Last Wooter to Woot: Grammiedaboss2. In for 3. Loved the last offering (when I was still Grammiedaboss. sigh)

If you want to taste it in a convivial setting, come to Grammie's Festive Wine Tasting! Details in the Community Forums.


GDB2 - two down 23 to go. Enjoy the road back to black.

And wish I could be there for your tasting. Hope it goes well.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

smartheart


quality posts: 94 Private Messages smartheart

Lab rat report: Mumm Napa Brut Rose NV

3 tasters. Tasted as aperitif. Accompanying crackers and cheese.

Me: Nice color and sparkle first noted.
Delicious taste. Strawberry stands out. Dark cherry. Lime toward the finish. Hints of bread and nuts.
Carries on the good tradition of the renamed Mumm Napa Blanc de Noirs with which I am well familiar. Wish I had a bottle of the predecessor Blanc de Noirs handy to "compare" and note any changes but alas I've drunk it all up. Comparing strictly from memory, I'd say this Brut Rose is a tad softer and the Blanc de Noirs had a slight bit of not unpleasant bite. But that might have been due to outside factors such as age, storage conditions, etc.

Guest taster #1 Balance of flavorful strawberry and cherry tastes.
Aesthetically appealing--color and effervescence.
Will seek out and buy.

Guest taster #2 "A river of refreshing darkish fruit flavor." (The other two tasters found the fruit distinct but somewhat more subtle than this taster.)

Conclusion: All 3 rats thought highly of this wine and found it delicious.....and all 3, including the 2 new to it, intend to enjoy it in the future.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Yes, for the holidays, but also to bring some sparkle to any regular day.


"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

UBlink


quality posts: 19 Private Messages UBlink
Loweeel wrote:OH MAN. I would SO be in...


Are those things legal in DC? And, if so, for how long?

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

Loweeel


quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
UBlink wrote:Are those things legal in DC? And, if so, for how long?



I live in VA, because I don't like taxes and I love me some weapons. Just about everything is legal here

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

UBlink


quality posts: 19 Private Messages UBlink
Loweeel wrote:I live in VA, because I don't like taxes and I love me some weapons. Just about everything is legal here



Well, cowboy, I think you'd feel right at home in Texas. Have y'all got concealed carry too?

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

jjhrad


quality posts: 1 Private Messages jjhrad

Labrat report:

This is my first labrat report so go easy ;)

I was excited to see a FedEx box arrive this morning. I immediately began to chill the box at work so that I would not have to wait for it to chill when I got home.

My wife and I opened the 2003 Blanc De Blancs and avoided the influence of outside flavors. I participated in the last Mumm woot purchase and visited Mumm back in the early 1990's--it has long been one of my favorites.

I do not "taste" sparkling wine very often, but usually go what what I know on those special occasions. This 2003 had a good color and a appreciable amount of effervescence. The initial taste was one of interest. Having such a large percentage of Chardonnay, the taste of fruit is predominant. The initial aftertaste was almost a bit bitter, but I expected this to smooth out a bit after it had been opened for a while. I revisited the taste after a little more than an hour and found it much more palatable than when the bottle was first opened.

I always like a good bottle of Mumm, this bottle included. It is a different taste than I am used to in a sparkling wine, but that is not always a bad thing. This was a bit sweeter, more fruit forward than the traditional Brut, but I have no doubt that it will still appeal to a great number of sparkling wine fans. I expect that I will like the other two a bit more, but we will see.

Thank you for the opportunity wine.woot.





More is lost by indecision than by the wrong decision.

stickyfingers1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages stickyfingers1

I am in for one this is my first wine woot

CAGrl


quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
stickyfingers1 wrote:I am in for one this is my first wine woot


Congratulations!!! This site is very very addicting. Your wallet is definitely going to get lighter. There are so many wonderful deals here. Welcome!