boaz38

quality posts: 2 Private Messages boaz38
ladyofwine wrote:Hi Everyone,

I am so interested in all the comments about this wine that I've decided to run down there and get a bottle and give my opinions in comparison to the Laura Zahtila Chardonnay. I should have something to share by noon, PST.

And it was my birthday yesterday too. Celebrated first with a bottle of Mumm Brut Prestige quickly followed by my 2005 LZV Rutherford "Vineyard Georges III". Couple those with some awesome food at Bistro Don Giovani and it was a very nice food and wine pairing!

Since my harvest is complete and we are all buttoned up for the winter, I was able to celebrate my birthday without the threat of driving a forklift all day!

More soon, LZ

Happy bday Laura...........loved your chard..........sigh......only have two bottles of it left from the previous offer.............waiting for another great offer from LZ ....good day

ladyofwine

quality posts: 21 Private Messages ladyofwine
darlenee1 wrote:Laura, you are awesome! Happy belated birthday, and it's great to see you on the boards again I love the winemakers that stick around after their offer is gone! Maybe you'll become the next Scott Harvey, or (dare I say it) even Peter wellington, of the woot empire!

Thanks for the kind words. Scott and Peter have the winemaking chops to which I only aspire. I certainly am learning more with each harvest and vintage. This year was no exception. The 2008 vintage has been a huge challenge for us - with the drying winds of August causing so much raisining, it was a sight to behold and a fermentation to babysit.

I'm definitely a woot-o-holic now. Even if I don't chime in, I'm reading up on the various offers and have even purchased a few (toffee bits - YUM!)

I thought this Andretti deal was too good to pass up, but then buying that much chardonnay seemed a bit excessive to my personal cellar so I'm procuring a single bottle directly from the winery to see what's up! From my own production, we have recently been tasting and selling my 2004 Chardonnay vintage. It was my first chardonnay and has aged up a bit from it's first release. More austere than my 2007, it will make for a good comparison, as will my 2005 vintage. It won't be an "official" labrat, but Jeff and I will taste it and post our objective comments (can wine tasting comments ever be objective, isn't it all subjective to our predispositions, likes, dislikes, experiences????) LZ

ladyofwine

eric9tx wrote:The LZ?

*swoon*

Wonderful stuff!!!

Thank you, eric9tx. At the most basic level, I'm a wino at heart (and then a farmer). This forum is a great sounding board - I really enjoy reading about everyone's various opinions, wine-loves, etc.

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx
Sheena3745 wrote:Thanks, boaz. I love the idea of the site & the forums are great for details & help.

Adding a bit to my previous questions, how about the values listed for PH, TA & Brix, are those also an indication of how sweet/dry it is?

Also, what about other types like syrah & malbec? I've seen them on some sites at reasonable prices, but no details on alcohol content.

Thanks again.

Rosie

The Twisted Oak website has some great info. For each wine, they make a "geek sheet", but click on the "geek sheet cheat sheet" for a good explanation of TA, PH, Brix, etc.

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

I am so interested in all the comments about this wine that I've decided to run down there and get a bottle and give my opinions in comparison to the Laura Zahtila Chardonnay. I should have something to share by noon, PST.

And it was my birthday yesterday too. Celebrated first with a bottle of Mumm Brut Prestige quickly followed by my 2005 LZV Rutherford "Vineyard Georges III". Couple those with some awesome food at Bistro Don Giovani and it was a very nice food and wine pairing!

Since my harvest is complete and we are all buttoned up for the winter, I was able to celebrate my birthday without the threat of driving a forklift all day!

More soon, LZ

If this is anything like the LZ chard, I'll be in for sure. I don't usually go for chards, but that LZ juice was great stuff!

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
coynedj wrote:If this is anything like the LZ chard, I'll be in for sure. I don't usually go for chards, but that LZ juice was great stuff!

Agreed!

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel

More soon, LZ

We drove past on the way to Vincent Arroyo while your offerings were up, but didn't stop in due to a tight schedule. Next time I'm in the area, I won't miss it again .

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

ladyofwine

Loweeel wrote:We drove past on the way to Vincent Arroyo while your offerings were up, but didn't stop in due to a tight schedule. Next time I'm in the area, I won't miss it again .

Always love to meet the Wooters. If you drop by, be sure to ask if I'm on property, unless you find me in the tasting room on Tuesday's and Wednesday's!

ladyofwine

Okay, the awaited bottle has arrived. Chilling it a bit before the grand opening! More, soon.

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney
eric9tx wrote:The LZ?

*swoon*

Wonderful stuff!!!

no joke, I am still pissed that I gave a bottle of her cab to my dad, i mean i love the guy, but man that was a screw up. It was awesome. One of these days (hopefully soon) I'll get around to trying some of your Beckstoffer Cabs..... like maybe the next time you have an offering up, pretty please!

CT

ladyofwine

Ladyofwine's opinion of this woot wine:
2005 Andretti Chardonnay, California Selection:
Light nose, but with a bit of astringency. No detectible oak in the bouquet and I can't quite pick out the fruit on it...it's so light that it doesn't seem to exude any one apple, apricot, or green nature. It's almost medicinal without being unpleasant.
On the palate: bright, crisp , I keep wanting green apple to show up. A triple creme cheese (think D'affinois) would help here. Full mouth feel, nice finish but falls off the back of the palate a bit. I didn't cool it down too much so I feel like I'm getting the true sense of the wine - just very light, not sweet. Alc. says it's 14.2 and it seems true to that number.
Barbie said: I like yours better, then, the second sip was better than the first.
Jeff came to work after a 5 day vacation with a cold so he's in quarantine and can't smell the wine.
After 30 minutes: the nose pretty much goes away, or becomes non-distinct to me. I still can't figure out which fruit is coming at me...maybe I just don't know enough fruit....that's it from Calistoga. LZ

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
woopdedoo wrote:To add to the above, sweet in wine is not necessarily the opposite of sour. Most decent wines, regardless of the alcohol content, are technically "dry" - meaning they have close to zero residual sugar. Specialty wines such as port, etc. would be exceptions. Alcohol itself can taste "sweet". The ph (alkaline vs acid) can have a large impact on the prevalance of the taste of "sour" as can the levels of tannin - "a heterogeneous group of astringent phenolic substances". So, two wines with identical alcohol percentages and amounts of residual sugars can taste radically different on the sweet-sour scale depending on their ph and tannin levels. I do not know a good rule of thumb with regard to ph levels and the relative taste of astringency, but I am sure other wooters will chime in - and likely disavow most of this missive.

I think that either Peter Wellington or Scott Harvey posted some good info on how wines will taste "sweet", even if the residual sugar is low. Don't know how to find it though.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo
ladyofwine wrote:Ladyofwine's opinion of this woot wine:
2005 Andretti Chardonnay, California Selection:
Light nose, but with a bit of astringency. No detectible oak in the bouquet and I can't quite pick out the fruit on it...it's so light that it doesn't seem to exude any one apple, apricot, or green nature. It's almost medicinal without being unpleasant.
On the palate: bright, crisp , I keep wanting green apple to show up. A triple creme cheese (think D'affinois) would help here. Full mouth feel, nice finish but falls off the back of the palate a bit. I didn't cool it down too much so I feel like I'm getting the true sense of the wine - just very light, not sweet. Alc. says it's 14.2 and it seems true to that number.
Barbie said: I like yours better, then, the second sip was better than the first.
Jeff came to work after a 5 day vacation with a cold so he's in quarantine and can't smell the wine.
After 30 minutes: the nose pretty much goes away, or becomes non-distinct to me. I still can't figure out which fruit is coming at me...maybe I just don't know enough fruit....that's it from Calistoga. LZ

Thanks, LZ! So this sounds like it could be a good match with very light foods, and maybe a decent summer sipper?

Maybe not such a screaming deal at $7 a bottle, is the sense I'm getting. Unless one likes to drink a lot of white wine.

iceeblue7

quality posts: 3 Private Messages iceeblue7

Hi Laura

Greet to see you on the boards. I thought that I would let you know I recently hosted a wine tasting for some colleagues from work. We blindly tasted 4 California chards. Yours turned out to be the favorite of everyone gathered.

Lighter

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Lighter
speedoo wrote:Maybe not such a screaming deal at $7 a bottle, is the sense I'm getting. Unless one likes to drink a lot of white wine.

$7? If I'm reading LZ correctly it's not a butter bomb. It's not like gnawing on a pirate's wooden leg. Seems like it doesn't have much character - bland. That beats out any $7 chard I've tried. They are icky. Sure, she is in the business and has to be tactful, but I trust that she'd tell us if her folks turned green and vomited!

I surely doubt that this would stand up against LZ's own. Nor other artisan crafted chards. But none of them are $7 delivered to my door in NY. And not something I'd pop for everyday like I might this one. Left over white lasagna and mixed salad greens (weeds) tonight. Not something I'm pulling out a pricey white as we stuff it down getting ready for the real evening.

ladyofwine

iceeblue7 wrote:Hi Laura

Greet to see you on the boards. I thought that I would let you know I recently hosted a wine tasting for some colleagues from work. We blindly tasted 4 California chards. Yours turned out to be the favorite of everyone gathered.

Nice. Thanks! Always like to hear when we become a blind favorite. LZ

kiwicarrie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kiwicarrie

Seriously who needs SIX bottles of Chard, where is the variety. Can we get some good white wine varieties for once?

scottw2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages scottw2
kiwicarrie wrote:Seriously who needs SIX bottles of Chard, where is the variety. Can we get some good white wine varieties for once?

I got a free bottle today. Hope that makes 7.

MaskedMarvel

quality posts: 11 Private Messages MaskedMarvel
scottw2 wrote:I got a free bottle today. Hope that makes 7.

Does anyone have a "smackmyselfintheforeheadindisbelief" emoticon?

mathiusr1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mathiusr1
scottw2 wrote:I got a free bottle today. Hope that makes 7.

well maybe you should be a good little mouse and tell us what it tastes like.

hello, hi.

photogrun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages photogrun

Just bought this item.....checked out prices elsewhere....ont the Andretti website it is $21 per bottle versus a little over $7 per bottle on woot......other sites that I found this wine on were usually in the $14-16 range

James Val Miller

m5rammy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages m5rammy

Labrat Report

First of all I have come to the conclusion that I prefer wines with a fairly low alcohol content (go ahead, call me a wimp), but here goes.

I was thrilled to be a labrat (Free wine, the best kind!). My wife and I shared a glass, she said "mild, fruity taste, somewhat smooth, not too sweet or dry, good moderate flavor. I like it", and I agree that it has mild flavor (in a good way) but the alcoholly part was a bit sharp (remember what I said in the first paragraph), even so, it was nice.

I re-stopped the bottle and put it back in the fridge, and a few hours later my son (in his late 20's) tried some and said he didn't really like it, that it was too mild and had a bitter aftertaste.

(bitter aftertaste?) So there you have 3 opinions (good, nice and yuck). Also we put some into a chili, I'm sure that will be good, too. I'll let you know later.

R

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
MaskedMarvel wrote:Does anyone have a "smackmyselfintheforeheadindisbelief" emoticon?

How's this:

Or maybe:

Make with the rattery!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
m5rammy wrote:Labrat Report

Packed!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

INTLGerard

quality posts: 58 Private Messages INTLGerard

Guest Blogger

I’ve had the opportunity to taste this wine and my experience was quite different. For me the more input the better which helps me to perceive what’s in the bottle. So FWIW here’s my take as a volunteer rat. The appearance has a pale gold color with light to med intense aromas of green apple, stony fruit and subtle vanilla. On the palate I get the white stony fruit, melon, some vanilla notes layered with a full bodied creamy texture. There’s a good amount of alcohol adding weight but not excessive attack of heat in the back. The alcohol is high but there is enough acid to keep my palate from tiring and enough restraint on the oak to not overwhelm the fruit. Overall found this to be an easy to drink everyday chardonnay with a pleasantly smooth mouth feel and fresh crisp fruit. At this price I’d consider this a very good deal for an everyday wine.

For me when there is quite a bit of alcohol present it can throw off strong overpowering medicinal esters especially with a warm white wine. I think if you chill this down and air it out it may open up more.

speedoo

INTLGerard wrote:I’ve had the opportunity to taste this wine and my experience was quite different. For me the more input the better which helps me to perceive what’s in the bottle. So FWIW here’s my take as a volunteer rat. The appearance has a pale gold color with light to med intense aromas of green apple, stony fruit and subtle vanilla. On the palate I get the white stony fruit, melon, some vanilla notes layered with a full bodied creamy texture. There’s a good amount of alcohol adding weight but not excessive attack of heat in the back. The alcohol is high but there is enough acid to keep my palate from tiring and enough restraint on the oak to not overwhelm the fruit. Overall found this to be an easy to drink everyday chardonnay with a pleasantly smooth mouth feel and fresh crisp fruit. At this price I’d consider this a very good deal for an everyday wine.

For me when there is quite a bit of alcohol present it can throw off strong overpowering medicinal esters especially with a warm white wine. I think if you chill this down and air it out it may open up more.

"stony fruit" is a new term for me. Could you kindly elaborate?

Oh and thanks for the input!

ladyofwine

speedoo wrote:"stony fruit" is a new term for me. Could you kindly elaborate?

Oh and thanks for the input!

I'll jump in - INTLGerard might be out trick or treating....

Stony fruit, also termed as stone fruit - peach, apricot, plum - any fruit that has a single seed. LZ

m5rammy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages m5rammy
m5rammy wrote:Labrat Report
Also we put some into a chili, I'm sure that will be good, too. I'll let you know later.

mmm
white bean chicken chili
very good, and the wine made it better

speedoo

ladyofwine wrote:I'll jump in - INTLGerard might be out trick or treating....

Stony fruit, also termed as stone fruit - peach, apricot, plum - any fruit that has a single seed. LZ

That's what I was guessing.

Thanks!!

KryseeMac

quality posts: 2 Private Messages KryseeMac

Could someone tell me how long can this white be stored? I cannot drink that much white in a short period.

psmurf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages psmurf
KryseeMac wrote:Could someone tell me how long can this white be stored? I cannot drink that much white in a short period.

This was asked before(maybe you?).
I don't remember seeing an answer from anyone???
~also curious, but I think? not so long as other offerings here~
Maybe someone will chime in.

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
Neil Peart(of Rush)

ltraffis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ltraffis

More soon, LZ

Happy Birthday LOW/LZ. Really like your woot chard and so does everyone else that tries it. Now that was a very good chard. Hope to see you back soon!!!

bones56x

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bones56x

in for 2 and my first wine woot. I could not resist the price, this will be very helpful during the holidays!!

In search of 1 quality post and many more woots

tomatillo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages tomatillo

LabRat reporting in.

Golden ticket and Chardonnay arrived this afternoon. No cheese, no candy, no extras. Sigh. If only this would have happened with one of the more expensive reds!

HOWEVER,

Chilled bottle for several hours, waiting for wife to get home and lend her also untutored palate to the fray.

Then, while awaiting the 11 year olds to arrive for the evening goblin festivities, we decided to crack the bottle early to ease the stress and sneak a few tastes.

Wow! Lots of legs! As red wine drinkers, we don't usually waste our time looking at the whites we're served, but this guy has legs! We strained and strained to detect multiple fruits: pear was there, wife kept chanting "citrus, citric, citrus..." until I began to smell and taste it, too. No apple. Perhaps a scent of vanilla and definitely an initial attack of cream, which fades fast.

NO bitter aftertaste (like one of the other reviewers experienced). Light butter, I think I could taste just a hint of oak, but my wife maintains there was none in her glass. And she insisted she knows oak. Absolutely none! (I always defer, when she starts REALLY insisting..)

Both of us argued about a trifle acidic/initial tart taste, mellows a bit with the swish. Enough to keep it interesting but not overwhelming.

Refreshing, simple forward pear mellowing and fading and then also fading to a bit of tanginess. A residual very minor buttery afternote. But again, not overwhelming. Not a thin wine, but certainly not syrupy, a bit of 'heat' and none of the repugnant effervescent feelings I've experienced with cheap whites.

Thousands of times better than the typical house white foisted on us in many local St. Paul/Minneapolis restaurants and our private club over by the river, which the New Mexico delegation and Laura Bush stole from us for a few days during the RNC. No great loss.

At $7/bottle, this is a hell of a deal. Don't hesitate, even if you're not a white wine drinker, because it should be at minimum acceptable to your non-demanding friends who want white (making you happier to hoard the good reds for people who really appreciate them). Everyday drinkable, a bit tasty and inoffensive. A good safe wine my wife will gladly drink again.

Oops. Got carried away with the tasting. Just got back from the evening bonfire and found very little left in the fridge. We must have enjoyed it more than we realized!

Bottom line:
Much better than the 'everyday' whites served us by our parsimonious friends. Not a butter bomb or an oak blaster. I'm truly confused when I read some of the others' reviews here and the propaganda about this wine on a few of the other internet sites. We just didn't get the same intense flavors which we felt others interpreted as 'obnoxious.' But then, we're not that sophisticated when it comes to these things.

We liked it.

Edit: And for comparison: After this, if we find any more of the Woot Rock Hollow or (God Forbid!) the Elvis in our cellar, it's going down the drain. Why suffer if we can drink this stuff at $7?

2nd Edit: Weird note. This was one of the hardest corks to get out of a bottle I've fought in many a year. I've got one of those levered 'rabbit ears' devices which usually pulls a cork, natural or not, without a second thought. I seriously thought something glass or metal was going to break this time around! Never have had this much of a fight.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk
tomatillo wrote:LabRat reporting in.

That's a great report. Thanks for posting!

psmurf

tomatillo wrote:LabRat reporting in.

A VERY very good review- thanks.
This is one on the reviews that I value most.
~now kinda glad I DID order a dozen~

Neil Peart(of Rush)

KryseeMac

quality posts: 2 Private Messages KryseeMac
tomatillo wrote:LabRat reporting in..

I went ahead and got 1. I guess no one knows how long this can be stored. Seems earlier that someone said that was why it was so cheap as it was past it's time. I thought all wine can be saved for long periods of time. Don't cringe if that is not right as I an new with wine and what to look for.

scottw2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages scottw2
mathiusr1 wrote:well maybe you should be a good little mouse and tell us what it tastes like.

Sure, after I open it. Too much candy dispensing tonight, maybe Saturday.

psmurf

KryseeMac wrote:I went ahead and got 1. I guess no one knows how long this can be stored. Seems earlier that someone said that was why it was so cheap as it was past it's time. I thought all wine can be saved for long periods of time. Don't cringe if that is not right as I an new with wine and what to look for.

Good move... I hear ya.
I plan on my 12 being drank/drunk within 6 months... with minimal cellar conditions... maybe 68degC.
~no windows here for sure?~

Neil Peart(of Rush)