rickspix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rickspix

with shipping that ends up being $15 per pound which is a lot of money for cheese.
costco has a real good selection of cheeses now and much less expensive than this.

scottjl

quality posts: 12 Private Messages scottjl

ok. i'm not a cheese person. but i'm in for 2 anyway. one for me to try and see if it was really worth the $25 and one for a gift to someone who i know likes cheese. she'll tell me if it was worth the $25.

3Sisters

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 3Sisters
LittleJohn wrote:I wondered the same thing. TX gets kinda warm in the afternoon, but temps have been dropping lately.

To answer you question about shipping.... You cheese will be shipped ground, but will be fine if it arrives slightly warm. Just pop it in the refrigerator when it arrives and let it be for a bit. We make our cheese the way they made it long ago, before refrigeration, so it lasts A LONG time out of it. The weather is great right now for this!

scottjl

quality posts: 12 Private Messages scottjl
rickspix wrote:with shipping that ends up being $15 per pound which is a lot of money for cheese.
costco has a real good selection of cheeses now and much less expensive than this.

as far as i see, the shipping is $5. where are you getting $15/lb?

ArtWorksMetal

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ArtWorksMetal
LaVikinga wrote:You could, but for some reason wiping the mold off of steaks that have been sitting in the fridge for a few weeks just doesn't seem quite as appetizing.

Reminds me of a column (NYT?) a while back. I always dry steaks, usually by leaving them out for an hour wrapped in paper towels, prior to grilling. This columnist/chef revealed his secret - leave them in the refrigerator - UNcovered, turning occasionally, for a day or 2. 'Ages' it nicely.
I rarely plan steaks 2 days in advance, but I have tried it, it works.

Asceticism is for those that can't afford Hedonism.

3Sisters

rickspix wrote:with shipping that ends up being $15 per pound which is a lot of money for cheese.

Hello There!
Costco is a fabulous place to get cheese and I would recommend that for anyone! We actually have done a few "road shows" at our west coast warehouses and this woot price is VERY comparable to our Costco price, although we were only selling Serena in the warehouses

Our Serena retails for $20 per pound alone so this is a great deal!

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
scottjl wrote:as far as i see, the shipping is $5. where are you getting $15/lb?

I think they mean the overall cost. $24.99 + $5 shipping = $29.99 for 2 lbs of cheese = $15/lb.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

3Sisters

scottjl wrote:ok. i'm not a cheese person. but i'm in for 2 anyway. one for me to try and see if it was really worth the $25 and one for a gift to someone who i know likes cheese. she'll tell me if it was worth the $25.

Its worth it! I promise you won't be disappointed! Check out our website, we have some fabulous recipes on there to help you and your friend incorporate Serena and Serenita into your menus at home...

aces219

quality posts: 5 Private Messages aces219

We had the Serena at our Seattle-area pinot noir tasting. It was excellent! WD, if I order today, when will this ship? I will be out of town next Wednesday-Sunday and don't want this to spoil.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
3Sisters wrote:Hello There!
Costco is a fabulous place to get cheese and I would recommend that for anyone! We actually have done a few "road shows" at our west coast warehouses and this woot price is VERY comparable to our Costco price, although we were only selling Serena in the warehouses

Which Costco west coast warehouses and do they still have it?

mmmmmmm ..... cheese

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines

Sense I grew up with three sisters and have three daughters, I like the name. I'm in for one. Sure enjoyed the last cheese I purchased on woot.

cheron98

aces219 wrote:We had the Serena at our Seattle-area pinot noir tasting. It was excellent! WD, if I order today, when will this ship? I will be out of town next Wednesday-Sunday and don't want this to spoil.

Seattle got it too? Did you guys post up notes about it in your thread? Off for more packing...

cheron98

3Sisters wrote:Hello There!

So how much does the Serenita retail for? We have this weirdo guy, JWhite, who likes to do these crazy spreadsheets on how good the deals are, and he needs that info

aces219

quality posts: 5 Private Messages aces219
cheron98 wrote:Seattle got it too? Did you guys post up notes about it in your thread? Off for more packing...

Just that we had it and that we liked it.

crazyswedishguy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages crazyswedishguy
madtownmoxie wrote:Being from Wisconsin I am biased on Cheese, but I have had amazing cheeses from California, so I will give it a try as it sounds good to me.

Having grown up in France, I am extremely biased when it comes to cheese! I've had a number of delicious artisan cheeses from Vermont however, and I'm willing to give California a try as well.

FYI, when it comes to artisan cheeses, Vermont has some of the best in the US.

jgnmd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jgnmd

I just got my husband to buy some. He likes Woot. I like to give nice presents.

3Sisters

PeterN wrote:Well, I picked up two of the edam cannonballs last year, and it mixed with a woot.wine order it made for a great friday office party. My wife is allergic to cow and goat milk (sheep's fine) so I'll be repeating this M.O. and sharing this with my co-workers. In for 3! Rhymes with Pah-tay!

-Peter

P.S. white person's crack, indeed.

Hi There!
Thanks for the sale! If you want some more info on the cheese, shoot me and email and Ill send some stuff for your office party! Always a great way to end the week

Also, I noticed that you said that your wife was allergic to cow and goat's milk. If she is affected by the lactose, she still should be able to eat our cheeses. Any cheese that is aged for a period of time will contain little or no lactose.

3Sisters

MarkDaSpark wrote:Which Costco west coast warehouses and do they still have it?

mmmmmmm ..... cheese

Nope, sorry Thats the thing with Costco, your in.... and then poof, your out!

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
ScottHarveyWines wrote:Sense I grew up with three sisters and have three daughters, I like the name. I'm in for one. Sure enjoyed the last cheese I purchased on woot.

You're gonna be the first winemaker with a black square pretty soon!

Love it!

CT | | | | | |

3Sisters

kaia420 wrote:California cheese? Humph, not for this Wisconsinite

awwww, give us a chance!

3Sisters

boxjock wrote:Not a serious question at all:

Serena looks lovely, and Serenita is very pretty--but where's the third sister?

Good Question.... keep looking, she will be making her debut sometime next year

jwhite6114

3Sisters wrote:Its worth it! I promise you won't be disappointed! Check out our website, we have some fabulous recipes on there to help you and your friend incorporate Serena and Serenita into your menus at home...

So which of these will work best as a grilled cheese?

I hesitated to ask, lest it appear to low-brow. But I see you have a Mac-n-Cheese recipe on your website, and in these tough economic times a nice grilled cheese sandwich is just delish!

CT | | | | | |

Entry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Entry
3Sisters wrote:Its worth it! I promise you won't be disappointed! Check out our website, we have some fabulous recipes on there to help you and your friend incorporate Serena and Serenita into your menus at home...

I'm in for one, may be in for two; wish there were more recipes up on the website instead of just the three.

Anybody have any particularly good recipes that they wish to share? (or link to, I do suppose.)

cheron98

Entry wrote:I'm in for one, may be in for two; wish there were more recipes up on the website instead of just the three.

Anybody have any particularly good recipes that they wish to share? (or link to, I do suppose.)

Keep an eye on my blog over the next day or two for a recipe involving the serena. apairitf - link down there in the sig. somewhere

3Sisters

renaitre08 wrote:As a Tulare California cheese maker I have to say to this ... Huh? This person has obviously no connection with the dairy industry at all. California passed (more like left in the dust) Wisconsin as the #1 dairy state a long time ago. Happy cows are all over the Hilarides dairy... really. I have driven past the dairy many many times it is very modern and awe inspiring to any dairy industry person. Although I am local I have never tasted the cheese because it is not easy to find an outlet (unlike Bravo farms which is obvious) Looking forward to having this "treat" soon.

Awww thanks!!I don't know who this is but, come by the dairy and I'll give ya a free tour and sample!! Thanks so much for your kind words! We do our best at the dairy to keep our cows HAPPY and our cheese award winning!!

3Sisters

Krugsters wrote:As mentioned earlier we had this at the NYC Spain tasting.
I did not take notes and can't remember the exact flavor profiles of the cheeses.
I opened both varieties and cut them up into cubes.

I noticed that they both were, for me, on the sharper side so I decided to pair them with a Really Good (that's the name of the company) tart cherry fruit spread. I also had out on the table quince, honey and Dalmata (sp?) fig spread.

When nibbling, I like to tone down sharp cheeses with a touch of sweetness and if serving this for a Thanksgiving or holiday party I would suggest just that.
This would also pair nicely with sliced delicious red apple or pear.

I remember them being sharp, nutty with a texture close to Parmesan but not as crumbly, an easy eating cheese. This would be fantastic in recipes, grated over pasta or baked. It has enough flavor to stand up to the heat and add punch to a dish.

I put these on a separate cheese plate for the tasting. Unlike the Spanish cheese plate, this plate was empty by the end of the evening.

A WONDERFUL thing to pair our Serena with as well, is a peanut brittle. Sounds strange, I know, but the combo will floor you.. I promise!

jwhite6114

3Sisters wrote:To answer you question about shipping.... You cheese will be shipped ground, but will be fine if it arrives slightly warm. Just pop it in the refrigerator when it arrives and let it be for a bit. We make our cheese the way they made it long ago, before refrigeration, so it lasts A LONG time out of it. The weather is great right now for this!

The package that was shipped to NoVA for NoVA #7 arrived fine. The cheese was still cool (though not cold) when it arrived and was perfectly fine when we tasted it that weekend.

Speaking of which, these cheese were well liked at NoVA #7. As the lucky guy who got to keep the left overs, I am having some right now (hence my previous question about grilled cheese -- IT'S LUNCH TIME!).

Both cheeses are quite firm (can't slice them too thick with my wire cheese-slicer -- bends the wire). The Serenita is quite pungent with a tangy scent (appealing, not stinky). On a plain Carr's table water cracker (which I believe Costo DOES still have), it is a little much. Of course I am not pairing it with anything (it is LUNCH time, remember?); this would go much better with a wine or complimentary food. Interestingly, I find the Serena to be milder in scent and flavor, but it has a stronger bite at the end (kind of like some swiss cheeses). This one might pair better with something on the sweet side (IMUO -- the U standing for unqualified). The Serena makes me want more as soon as the linger flavor leaves my mouth.

I LOVE cheese, but am no aficionado. If it's creamy and melty, chances are I'll enjoy it. My take on these cheeses is that they would make for excellent ingredients to make a favorite dish that much more special, or as tasty bits with wine and other foods. These are much better than the typical grocery store cheese, but I would not want them all by their lonesome like I might with a more standard cheddar or swiss.

CT | | | | | |

3Sisters

yumitori wrote:Okay, serious question for 3 Sisters (I love the 'wheels of cows' picture on your website, by the way. Beats my grandpa's operation hands-down) -

I see these are raw milk cheeses. I find it difficult sometimes to find raw milk cheese due to the (excessive, in my opinion) health concerns. Have you had any problems from regulatory agencies regarding your cheeses because they are from raw milk?

Yep, we do actually. But we have an this little thing called the "California Milk Adviosry Board". They are fabulous and give the smack down to those that are uneducated! They protect the big boys
AND us small girls!

madtownmoxie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages madtownmoxie
crazyswedishguy wrote:Having grown up in France, I am extremely biased when it comes to cheese! I've had a number of delicious artisan cheeses from Vermont however, and I'm willing to give California a try as well.

FYI, when it comes to artisan cheeses, Vermont has some of the best in the US.

Agreed!! Again, I am from Wisconsin and even I will say the whole California vs. Wisconsin dairy/cheese debate holds no water here. That is not about Quality necessarily but quantity. Californias "Factory" farms do indeed produce more milk and cheese now than the mom and pop farms in Wisconsin. This today is a whole different argument.

Artisan cheeses do not enter significantly into the above argument. Good artisan cheeses come from anywhere but very notably from CA, WI, VT, NY etc. This is where the quality over quantity argument comes in. It's like a small local Microbrewer vs. Anheuser Busch. With one you get complex flavors and nuances, with the other you get something akin to sex in a canoe (F#%#@$ing close to water).

bahwm

quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm
javadrinker wrote:Sadly I don't think so. This cheese was the extra surprise packed with my labratted Stuart Cab Franc. I got a slice of the Serena cheese. I'll be completely honest in that I didn't like the cheese at first bite. It was a bit tart for me. But after awhile the cheese really grew on me, especially with crackers. Like HAK above I can't really describe cheese but I remember thinking that it tasted a bit like Parmesan. I thought I was crazy for thinking that. Then I read the description a few minutes ago and there it was..."a hard cheese with some of the bite of Parmesan and some of the sweet nuttiness of Gruyere". What I thought of as tart was that bite they described. And the sweet nuttiness was definitely in the hizzy. $30 for 2 lbs of cheese is more than I'm comfortable spending plus way more than I can eat by myself, but this was pretty tasty.

TByrd & Sparky, I'll bring some with me tomorrow if you guys want to try the cheese after dinner (or even before). I doubt the restaurant will let me bring it inside so it would have to be a parking lot tasting.

Tailgating at the restaurant! Can I join?

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

3Sisters

jwhite6114 wrote:So which of these will work best as a grilled cheese?

I hesitated to ask, lest it appear to low-brow. But I see you have a Mac-n-Cheese recipe on your website, and in these tough economic times a nice grilled cheese sandwich is just delish!

Serenita, all the way.

jwhite6114

3Sisters wrote:Serenita, all the way.

Thanks! Off to cook me up a sammich!

CT | | | | | |

WilfBrim

quality posts: 18 Private Messages WilfBrim

I was a bit hesitant to get this, but after some research, this seems like a really good deal. Me digs da cheese. I looked at the recipies in on the web site, it seems that using this for Mac and Cheese would mean very some very expensive Mac and Cheese.

Looking forward to nom nom nom on this.

3Sisters

cheron98 wrote:So how much does the Serenita retail for? We have this weirdo guy, JWhite, who likes to do these crazy spreadsheets on how good the deals are, and he needs that info

Depends, but I would say around $18-19 is a safe bet. These cheeses are almost exactly the same, except for a few "make" differences. The think that sets them apart in taste and price is mostly age.

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity
jwhite6114 wrote:So which of these will work best as a grilled cheese?

Low-brow? I think not! Don't you know about the Grilled Cheese Invitational?
And how about a grilled cheese with peanut butter?
hmmm....that's an idea for the so-cal tasting....

3Sisters

WilfBrim wrote:I was a bit hesitant to get this, but after some research, this seems like a really good deal. Me digs da cheese. I looked at the recipies in on the web site, it seems that using this for Mac and Cheese would mean very some very expensive Mac and Cheese.

Looking forward to nom nom nom on this.

it is alittle pricy as there is even MORE cheese than just Three Sisters present in the recipe. But you ain't ever had Mac- N - Cheese like this !

jwhite6114

3Sisters wrote:Depends, but I would say around $18-19 is a safe bet. These cheeses are almost exactly the same, except for a few "make" differences. The think that sets them apart in taste and price is mostly age.

Thanks for the price suggestions!

So, how good is this deal?

Again, as WF branches out and finds unique and special food-stuffs, comparing to retail prices is hard. For some items there is no readily available retail price. And even when there is these are items that can often only be purchased in limited areas. In this case the deal is undoubtedly good, even before shipping (shipping costs based on one of the online retailers carrying Three Sisters). Click the link above for details, and remember to ask yourself, "Can I get this cheese at my local Wegman's at any price?"

CT | | | | | |

arzoo623

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arzoo623

$12.50 a pound for cheese?

baffles

quality posts: 1 Private Messages baffles

Do the normal wine.woot age restrictions apply to items like cheese?

artekna

quality posts: 0 Private Messages artekna

What - no restrictions on shipping to Indiana? Someone needs to alert the State Legislature and put and end to this.