pagreen

quality posts: 8 Private Messages pagreen
LaVikinga wrote:. . . for some reason wiping the mold off of steaks that have been sitting in the fridge for a few weeks just doesn't seem quite as appetizing. . . .

Haven't you just described dry-aged beef?

I, by the way, am in for one as I just have to try this stuff.

(Hmm, I wonder when we will see dry-aged beef here?)

boaz38

quality posts: 2 Private Messages boaz38

Seems bit of a stretch of the dollar vs pound cheese issue but then again i thought the same logic applied to that brandini toffee and was quickly hushed after the first bite.........so this cheese better sing like a canary....or i will end up eating crow!!

in for one cause i like the write ups, website and the fact that you cannot buy this in stores...........laters folks

deejanke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deejanke

It is nice to see state based loyalty but let's get all the info straight. Wisconsin and California have been going at it chees wise for some time. I believe right now California is ahead of Wisconsin in the mass produced cheese market but that trophy has bounced back and forth a few times. Of course this cheese has almost no relation to that mass produced stuff. Both Wisconsin and California (as well as New York and some other states) have seen a wonderful upsurge in artisanal cheese production. The organic and family farm/dairy operations have benifited greatly - but the consumer is the biggest winner in this race. We get to eat the product of these skilled, enthusiastic cheese producers. Try it - if you enjoy fine wine you will almost certainly enjoy fine cheese!

mindyperry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mindyperry
LaVikinga wrote:You could, but for some reason wiping the mold off of steaks that have been sitting in the fridge for a few weeks just doesn't seem quite as appetizing. The meat will be gone in one meal. The cheese lasts, so longer enjoyment for the dollar.

The blue I got on Woot last year was amazing. I think I'm in for one as well. Might try to sneak it to our Woot Wine Tasting next month here in Jacksonville. Or at least every one can huddle around my car in the parking lot.

Wine woot tasking in Jacksonville??? What's that about?? I'm in Jax too.

pengu1n

quality posts: 13 Private Messages pengu1n

Sorry, but I got a chuckle out of all the people here and their lack of cheese pricing knowledge. $12 a lb for artesian cheese, $15 if you include shipping is a great deal. I would love to buy some, but with a spending hiatus at the Pengu1n house I can't.
Has anyone looked at the deli counter lately? $6 - $8 for your typical big batch sandwich cheese. $15 for what is probably a really good cheese is a great deal. Live a little and try it.
It's like when you go to a nice restaurant and orfer a $20 petite filet, sure, it's beef and you could get a 99 cent double cheeseburger at McD's too, but it's not the same. I can't imagine anyone telling their waiter "Hey, what's the deal, I can get beef at McD's for 99 cents, and it's $20 here!"
Nobody ever complains about paying $5-$8 a beer, or $8 for a drink that they could have at home for $1-$2 a beer, or 50 cents for the drink.

Side note: The best place I know of to get a good deal on decent imported cheese is Sam's Club. My favorite gilled cheese cheese Jarlsburg is only $4.44/lb.

So yes, you are paying a little more, but you are getting a premium product.

trarbach

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trarbach
terrenceistheman wrote:in for two and residing in wisconsin
also dividing by zero

ha!

madtownmoxie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages madtownmoxie

Being from Wisconsin I am biased on Cheese, but I have had amazing cheeses from California, so I will give it a try as it sounds good to me. Thanks everyone for the great feedback to bost my courage to cheese from Woot!!

My Wife and I especially loved the Dry Jacks from Vella in Sonoma www.vellacheese.com

I am in for the Wine (cheese) Woot today

PeterN

quality posts: 2 Private Messages PeterN

Well, I picked up two of the edam cannonballs last year, and it mixed with a woot.wine order it made for a great friday office party. My wife is allergic to cow and goat milk (sheep's fine) so I'll be repeating this M.O. and sharing this with my co-workers. In for 3! Rhymes with Pah-tay!

-Peter

P.S. white person's crack, indeed.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Okay... there's a lot of notes to get packed up in here. I will do my best throughout the day to wade through this all and get all the little blurbs. And hopefully sort them properly. Maybe.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

oppsie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages oppsie
pooflady wrote:And "proofreading" is one word.

ftw userid

hoop0040

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hoop0040

is the package still labeled to say that you must be 21 to receive this item? even though it is not wine?

I had a heck of the time the last time I sent a wine shipment to my home address vs. business (by mistake), and my mindless clicking just caused the same issue to happen again this order.

ElephantNest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ElephantNest

Semi-hart??

cheron98

hoop0040 wrote:is the package still labeled to say that you must be 21 to receive this item? even though it is not wine?

I had a heck of the time the last time I sent a wine shipment to my home address vs. business (by mistake), and my mindless clicking just caused the same issue to happen again this order.

Nope. Non-alcoholic items from wine.woot do not require signatures.

tjmckeon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tjmckeon

I'm just excited that both these cheeses are coagulated using microbial rennet, as opposed to calves' rennet, making them vegetarian friendly.

also, a quick note on microbial rennet, some argue it has a tendency to make cheese a slightly bitter.

dan_rc3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dan_rc3

Two pounds of cheese is a HUGE amount...to the people that say $25 for two pounds of cheese? This price is a steal and I highly doubt you could even get close to eating all of this on your own.

cheron98

reinmasamuri wrote:What's a good wine to go with this?
I was thinking a Sauvignon Blanc. Hell, if I go red I'll probably get an Australian Shiraz, a New World Sangiovese or a Chianti.

Well, the Iron Horse Cab Franc that was up works well. As does old world Merlot. Despite their claims that this is a white wine cheese, as it turns out, this works well with reds too

mindyperry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mindyperry
yumitori wrote:Yeah, really. I can buy like 50 pounds of Velveeta for $30. I'm sure it would be just as good.

Oh, wait. I actually have taste. The real question isn't if I'm going to be buying, but how much.

I completely agree with the point you're trying to make, but apparently you haven't bought Velveeta in a while. That stuff ain't cheap! About $6 a pound. So 4 lbs not including shipping.

theacademy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages theacademy

Normally, I would be in for raw cheese. However, I am pregnant, so I will have to pass. It sounds delicious. Bring on the raw cheese in like 3 months!

threemoons

quality posts: 18 Private Messages threemoons

As a stone-dazed cheese junkie who knows the staff at the Grand Central Station branch of Murray's Cheese let me say that $30 bucks for 2 pounds of amazing raw-milk cheese is da bomb. In for one.

cbloszinsky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cbloszinsky

I am in for 1. My roommate and I love cheese and based on what I have read here and on the website this will be good weekend treat. I also love that VA is also loving this cheese.

Krugsters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Someone put out a nice cherry spread type thing (if Krugsters wrote down what the jar was, please share) and I absolutely adored this cheese with a little bit of the cherry stuff on top of it.
I also had a few pieces of the cheese with the chorizo sausage that was also there. Was really good with that as well.

I kept going back for that cheese as I highly enjoyed it. Don't know what else to say about cheese, so I'll leave it at that.

Now to figure out if I can actually afford to buy some of it. I'll decide tomorrow and go to bed for now.

HAK-check out the Wines of Spain thread. I put all the info about the cherry spread there.

cheron98

Behold my MAD Rat-Packing Skillz!!! (it's the 8 arms)

Presbutes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Presbutes

Got a couple problems:

Google "Serena Cheese" to see what says about generic type name - turns out to be sheeps milk cheese, not cow

Look at the "Real California Cheese" website to see info on this cheesemaker - no listing!

Too many concerns to want to buy here but may try and drop by their location when in the area.

dan_rc3

Mateo1041 wrote:Now if only this was sharp cheddar or havarti, I'd be all over it! And after seeing that wheel of cheese on 'Til Death, I really want a wheel!

oooo, you have to try some of this stuff, this is REAL artisan cheese. Your horizon will explode after getting into some of this stuff....

cyradis2003

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cyradis2003
3Sisters wrote:Hello There!
Our cheese will last for months in the fridge if cared for properly. Since the cheese you are buying will be wrapped seperately, you can open one and leave the other, say for a Christmas Party. It will still be wonderful into New Years! Your biggest hurdle will be keeping the cheese from drying out. Our Serena is aged 12-18 months and is dry, but will hold up well. Wrap in a plastic wrap, do not put it in a Ziplock, so that it can breathe

We guarantee a shelf life of 6 months....

Thank you,

Does this come refrigerated (in a cooler) I am worried if it sits on my doorstep for a few hours it might not be a happy cheese when I get home.

cheron98

I should mention... if you slice up thin little slivers of the serena, or shave it, or grate it, and put it in an omelette... HOLY carp that's good breakfast!

juicius

quality posts: 42 Private Messages juicius
ctmdk4 wrote:From the Three Sisters website:

"Serena"
Flavor: Intense nutty flavor with smooth tight texture
Food Pairing: Fruit, chutney, dry fruits, olives, cured meats (No citrus)
[...]

That's funny. I once dated a girl name Serena who was also intensely nutty.

dan_rc3

Presbutes wrote:Got a couple problems:

Google "Serena Cheese" to see what says about generic type name - turns out to be sheeps milk cheese, not cow

Look at the "Real California Cheese" website to see info on this cheesemaker - no listing!

Too many concerns to want to buy here but may try and drop by their location when in the area.

This is a very reputable artisan cheesemaker. I don't think you should be concerned in the least.

LittleJohn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LittleJohn
cyradis2003 wrote:Thank you,

Does this come refrigerated (in a cooler) I am worried if it sits on my doorstep for a few hours it might not be a happy cheese when I get home.

I wondered the same thing. TX gets kinda warm in the afternoon, but temps have been dropping lately.

cheron98

LittleJohn wrote:I wondered the same thing. TX gets kinda warm in the afternoon, but temps have been dropping lately.

If it's any help, when they sent it out for the Detroit tasting, it came packed in styrofoam with the little ketchup ice packs. In fact, oppsie and I first thought it was wine since they shipped it in a wine box But yeah, no harm to it.

LittleJohn

cheron98 wrote:If it's any help, when they sent it out for the Detroit tasting, it came packed in styrofoam with the little ketchup ice packs. In fact, oppsie and I first thought it was wine since they shipped it in a wine box But yeah, no harm to it.

SWEET! I think this may be my first Wine(cheese).woot purchase!!!!

misswinegirl

quality posts: 20 Private Messages misswinegirl

Three Sisters Artisan Cheese
Current numbers (updated each minute):
First sucker: MaskedMarvel
Speed to first woot: 0m 16.313s

Last wooter to woot: misswinegirl

In for 3...labrat possibilities???

608 bottles wooted and counting...along with every cheese, balsamic, oil and now meat woot!

LittleJohn

LittleJohn wrote:SWEET! I think this may be my first Wine(cheese).woot purchase!!!!

And Ill probably spend a night on the couch for spending $30 on cheese, but hey, cheese, pork, and wine are worth it!!! llo

LoonBoarder

quality posts: 7 Private Messages LoonBoarder
juicius wrote:That's funny. I once dated a girl name Serena who was also intensely nutty.

You win one internet.

Dude... wait, what?

3Sisters

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 3Sisters

This is amazing stuff!! Our Serena retails for $20 per pound alone, so this is a great deal. It has a 6 month shelf life, if you leave it in the cry-o-vac we ship it in, it will last lots longer....

someguy184

quality posts: 0 Private Messages someguy184

Due to doctor/health issues I've been on a healthier kick (10lbs in the past few weeks!) I'm more concerned about what I shove down my throat. I am new to the world of fancy cheeses (I thought Kraft's do it yourself grater was high class). What would cholesterol levels and trans fats be? How large are these wedges, compared to say decks of cards? What should a serving be?

Blogging Old CEO cherry finally popped 4/1/2008
Box of Chorizo +coupon code s-NAIL on 4/1/2009
Bundle of Cornucopias 12/1/2010

jsignore

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jsignore

In-4-1

Too bad we're in PA and can't pair it with a wine.woot wine. Not that our house is wine-free, mind you. We love a good cheese, so this one was a no brainer.

CHEESE, Grommit!

cheron98

Presbutes wrote:Got a couple problems:

Upon further review of googling "Serena Cheese", it turns out that the "sheep's milk cheese" that Presbutes describes here is actually attributed to "La Serena" cheese, a type of cheese variety in SPAIN. Not the same stuff here. I don't think that 3 Sisters named the cheeses after a specific variety of cheese, but rather just a random name (perhaps one of the sisters?) to describe their own proprietary cheese. So the claim of "generic" for "serena" equating to sheep's milk is false.

Oh, and Here is Three Sisters listed as "Real California Cheese"

cheron98

3Sisters wrote:This is amazing stuff!! Our Serena retails for $20 per pound alone, so this is a great deal. It has a 6 month shelf life, if you leave it in the cry-o-vac we ship it in, it will last lots longer....

No it won't. Cuz you'll eat it all

oppsie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages oppsie

I have been informed that if I don't report on the cheese I will never be allowed on the premises again.

Therefore I will report on the cheese.

It was good.

Previous descriptions are accurate -- it's like a slightly softer, crumblier (meaning before grating) parm with a nuttier flavor. Pretty good on its own, I wish we had tried it with some fruity jammy accompaniment. Or some balsamic. Drat, we totally biffed on that.