Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

gdraughon wrote:This is basically $8.33 per jar after shipping. Does that seem a bit high to anyone else?

If you order 3 sets, it's less than $7.25 each.

Really, I don't look at this a whole lot differently from the wines offered here. Some folks think $12/bottle is expensive, some won't buy anything under $20/bottle, and some buy anything. My wife and I buy a lot of local/organic products, so $8 for a really good jar of dip isn't that unreasonable.

Some folks are fine with Barefoot wines and Old El Paso salsas. Some prefer single-vineyard cult wines and boutique tapenades. woot.wines aren't Barefoot-at-cult-wine prices and this offering isn't Old-El-Paso-at-boutique prices.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

polarbear22 wrote:Labratting the day that the offer came up. Sounds fishy. Sounds like a little payback to a volunteer moderator.

You deserve it. Enjoy!

Trying to get my wife to take them in to her co-workers tomorrow (she works for the New England Culinary Institute). The trio was a big hit with *most* of my coworkers. I say "most" because the first woman who tried them made faces and dove into my "Sweet and Salty" Chex mix after sampling them. When I inquired what her malfunction was, she informed me that she hated olives, really didn't like artichokes, and couldn't stand the texture of roasted red peppers.

(she wasn't allowed back in my office* for the rest of the day)

* AKA cubicle. ...but it's a double-wide.

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby

Just dug into the artichoke, though I am sadly without these "dip vectors" I've heard mentioned. I did find some crackers stashed away in a cupboard, though the first bite was pure dip. It's a lovely artichokey pile of goo -- the lemon is subdued, almost more of an aftertaste, and the garlic isn't bad. I sort of wish there was more. I could see it matching well with crostini or something, or even as part of a bruschetta.

Oh, also, the labels are great. Beware the deadly spreading knife.

(Hey, I get paid whether we sell them or not, so I'm pretty much unbiased, just for the record.)

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

Gatzby wrote:
(Hey, I get paid whether we sell them or not, so I'm pretty much unbiased, just for the record.)

I don't get paid either way, and I still have to put up with THAT GUY ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

alupnya

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alupnya
afranke wrote:Not sure where you live, but I routinely pay $6 for a jar of salsa here in NYC. More if it's that fancy-schmancy organic stuff. I realize you wouldn't dip nachos in this, but in terms of the "chopped veggies in a jar" price point, I don't think it's too outlandish.

6 bucks for salsa!!!!!!........get the rope. Ouch it would be worth it to move to cali just for the salsa....believe me, its orgasmic!

If All That Matters In This World Is Money, Then Why Is Gravity Around.

gdraughon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gdraughon

i give up... might buy a set just to see what all the hoopla is about; however, i do believe that this PERCEIVED value on these dips is too high. I'd expect woot to sell these $10-15 less.

DOH!

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DOH!

I'm the sort of person who buys stuff at the grocery store (often the fancypants grocery store) without checking the price. I'm also the sort of guy who really likes a good dip. I have to say, this seems pretty freaking expensive to me. That said, I guess the dip at whole foods may cost this much or more. What the hell, I'm in for 1.

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

gdraughon wrote:i give up... might buy a set just to see what all the hoopla is about; however, i do believe that this PERCEIVED value on these dips is too high. I'd expect woot to sell these $10-15 less.

wine.woot is a bit different from normal woot. Part of the goal of wine.woot is to bring value-based offering to the consumers, but there's also a part intent on supporting 'local' [to wine country] producers. In many cases, the offerings are from wineries most of us have never heard of. In some cases, it's things like toffee made by high-school kids, boutique balsamic vinegar, or, like this week, dips/spreads made from locally sourced ingredients.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
gdraughon wrote:This is basically $8.33 per jar after shipping. Does that seem a bit high to anyone else?

They really are incredibly good with really high quality ingredients. And just look at the labels!! The labels are SO COOL! I think someone mentioned before, but it's worth reiterating, that if you were to find these exact same jars (maybe with a less-woot, more-snooty label) in somewhere like williams-sonoma, you would easily see a price tag of $10-12 per jar. Easily.

I'm a little sad the caponata didn't make the final cut (Captain Caponata!) but the artichoke one sounds divine Can't wait to grill up some chicken, cook up some angel hair pasta, and pour some of this over it. Maybe toss in a few capers. Heck, I might even mix a little of the red pepper and the artichoke together to toss in. Mmm...

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

boaz38

quality posts: 2 Private Messages boaz38

geez, you are making my stomach rumbly tumbly............you sound like an exec chef....i love your descriptions..........

cheron said:
I'm a little sad the caponata didn't make the final cut (Captain Caponata!) but the artichoke one sounds divine Can't wait to grill up some chicken, cook up some angel hair pasta, and pour some of this over it. Maybe toss in a few capers. Heck, I might even mix a little of the red pepper and the artichoke together to toss in. Mmm...

heybatter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages heybatter

In addition to expiration dates, how long should these typically last after opening? I'm assuming that refrigeration is also required after opening.

Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr
cheron98 wrote:They really are incredibly good with really high quality ingredients. And just look at the labels!! The labels are SO COOL! I think someone mentioned before, but it's worth reiterating, that if you were to find these exact same jars (maybe with a less-woot, more-snooty label) in somewhere like williams-sonoma, you would easily see a price tag of $10-12 per jar. Easily.

You are right about the Caponata being the best, and the Muffallata was awesome too. The red pepper was my 2nd favorite. I use olive tapenades in sandwiches, a just a little bit with chicken breast or roast beef and you have something a little out of the ordinary.

I haven't seen a website for the company, do they have one or just sell thru distributors?

fgarriel1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fgarriel1

refresh my memory please... when will this go away? I'm torn... it would make a great gift for some family. I would love it. My wife... eh, she doesn't like olives. So I'm really tempted to go in for 3.

dianefreda

quality posts: 9 Private Messages dianefreda
Corrado wrote:wine.woot is a bit different from normal woot. Part of the goal of wine.woot is to bring value-based offering to the consumers, but there's also a part intent on supporting 'local' [to wine country] producers. In many cases, the offerings are from wineries most of us have never heard of. In some cases, it's things like toffee made by high-school kids, boutique balsamic vinegar, or, like this week, dips/spreads made from locally sourced ingredients.

Speaking of the boutique vinegers and oils I am enjoying mine immenesly. from using them in salad dressings to drizzling on chicken breasts that I am baking or grilling. They are great and worth every penny! I have a question about port. When the offering came up last week or the week before, the maker said that port was like anyother wine and once opened must be drunk within the week. I have a 12yr old tawney port that has been open for a month or more and still tastes wonderful to me. I certainly do not drink regular wine (white or red) that has been open that long but the port seems fine to me, am I wrong about this?

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
Corrado wrote:I don't get paid either way, and I still have to put up with THAT GUY ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hell, I don't get paid enough to put up with you; I have to find compensation somehow.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
Gatzby wrote:Hell, I don't get paid enough to put up with you; I have to find compensation somehow.

Children, Children, I think we can all agree NONE of us get paid enough to put up with Sparky

Man, it's been a while since I needled Sparky, it's like starting back on the crack, but better

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

gdraughon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gdraughon
Corrado wrote:wine.woot is a bit different from normal woot. Part of the goal of wine.woot is to bring value-based offering to the consumers, but there's also a part intent on supporting 'local' [to wine country] producers. In many cases, the offerings are from wineries most of us have never heard of. In some cases, it's things like toffee made by high-school kids, boutique balsamic vinegar, or, like this week, dips/spreads made from locally sourced ingredients.

Well, I put my order in. It probably doesn't help that I absolutely love olive tapenades and artichoke dips. I figure with the country going into a recession maybe it's okay to splurge a little on locally made products too!

Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr

Happy Day! After a week, really a month from hell, and only minutes after my delivery of the KR Ports, I see the FedEx truck pull up right in front of my apartment. Of course, I'm on the phone with "work" and my doorbell rings. I know exactly why! Using the mute on my phone, and talking "quietly" to my work call, I sign for my FedEx package, motioning for him to be quiet as he's giving me dirty looks about my phone conversation. (For those who know what I do, this is makes it even funnier).

I am a Labrat for the trio of dips and spreads! Yummmy! I was a little hesitant about the artichoke lemon spread, I love artichoke, but I am not a fan of lemon in my food. So far it's the only jar I opened (it's not even noon here) and instantly smelled the garlic. Garlic I do like! I stirred it up a bit, and took a little taste, artichoke and garlic, a little oil and very lttle if any lemon taste at all. Oh this is going to be good on a chicken breast for dinner. I can still taste the garlic.

I'll report back later. I'll make a little pasta and use the red pepper and the artichoke on a chicken breast. And the olives I'll just sample later with some cream cheese and crackers.

Thank you Wine David!

bFusion

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bFusion

I have to by anything with the text "TASTE JUSTICE, CRETINS!" printed on it.

I write music you may enjoy. --> http://www.abstractionmusic.com <-- Download the album for free.

cheron98

heybatter wrote:In addition to expiration dates, how long should these typically last after opening? I'm assuming that refrigeration is also required after opening.

Well, I don't know how long they're SUPPOSED to last, but I was still enjoying mine at least a month after we had them opened. The only reason they didn't last longer was because I ate 'em. And yes, refrigerate after opening.

JudisStang

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JudisStang

In for 1 - totally curious and after all, you only live once... :-))) maybe........

lauratchi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi

Another Rat reporting.

Fed ex had already dropped off the toffee (how the heck is that going to last until we gift it away???) I saw the Fed ex truck pull up in front an hour later.

Tromp Tromp Tromp up the steps the driver came. DING DONG.

I was confused, especially when I saw the wine country box. Hm... I think I have all the wine I ordered and it would be way too early for the dips. Or would it.

Golden ticket and twisted comic page. Wow! Ratted. What a pleasant surprise. I mean, it's a Friday. And free stuff on a Friday is doubly good. And I was feeling peckish as well.

So I commenced to make a plate with each of the dips. On hand we had Townhouse and saltines. Not the best combo. Water crackers would have been better, but what can one do? This was a rat emergency. The dip version of a pull and pour I guess. Joel's response "The things I MUST do for your wine.woot people" complete with heavy sigh. So we tasted.

Joel's favorite is the roasted red pepper. Has good flavor, some vinegar kick. I think it would make a great (and pretty) aoli or sandwich spread. I like it, but the staining potential of that oil is large. (Spoken as a spiller). He likes the artichoke and least favorite is the tapenade. Tho it was kind of salty on the townhouse.

The Artichoke Lemon is my favorite hands down. Great garlicky kick. Imagine is right. Would be great on a chicken breast, but I am finding it hard now not to go and get the jar and eat more of this stuff. Very tasty. Very tasty indeed. Would make a good sammich spread too.

I really wanted to like the tapenade the best, as I am in this olive loving phase right now. I like the texture. I like the taste, but it needs something to brighten it up. When I figure out how to do that, (maybe with some fresh herbs or a squeeze of lemon juice or peel...) I know I'll like it more. It has a bit of a bitter finish (but not unpleasant). Just typical olive stuff.

These are more than dips. Given a little cream cheese and some good sandwich fixings, these can go far. Good concentrated flavors. Better than the usually mid end stuff sold in semi fancy stores.

OH, and thanks as always to WD for the rattage experience. What a great way to start my work week! Who knows? I could get generous and share with them tonight.

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

cheron98

lauratchi wrote:Another Rat reporting.

You're packed!

oppsie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages oppsie
Imagine4vr wrote: Using the mute on my phone, and talking "quietly" to my work call, I sign for my FedEx package, motioning for him to be quiet as he's giving me dirty looks about my phone conversation. (For those who know what I do, this is makes it even funnier).

The temptation to speculate is mighty, but I will refrain. After all, I am a lady.

LBISurfer2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LBISurfer2

What a glorious day! I found a beautiful panel of rock art at work, just another day in the basin here in Utah, and come home to the most magnificent sight of a fedex package on my couch. I need to ready myself but am having some friends over for a sampling extravaganza! Thank you WD! I am labrat!

sawbones84

quality posts: 7 Private Messages sawbones84

I don't care how delicious these may be, 25 dollars for three jars of dip is a RIP OFF

lauratchi

LBISurfer2 wrote:What a glorious day! I found a beautiful panel of rock art at work, just another day in the basin here in Utah, and come home to the most magnificent sight of a fedex package on my couch. I need to ready myself but am having some friends over for a sampling extravaganza! Thank you WD! I am labrat!

There has to be some perk for living there!

Actually, it is a gorgeous state.

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

conroo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages conroo

*** Thread hijack ***

Trying again in OHIO tasting tread. Save the date: Oct., 25, at Visible Voice Books (and wine bar) in Cleveland. Stop on by!

skrist01, bill3490, Luci444, Daystar, MaxAlex, squeaks321

Please check your PM's

*** End thread hijack ***

W:too many to count
WW:too many to count
SW:too many to count
SOW:too many to count

LBISurfer2

Alright, my labrattery. I live in a house provided by my company with three other employee's. We are archaeologists working on a project in NE Utah. Upon receiving the blessed ticket, had to explain to my friends the honor and duties expected of me. Slightly confused but totally on board, we poured ourselves some crown and cokes and sat down to try them with anything we had available. I asked them to rank them 1-3 and offer any other opinions:

Fred: 1-Red Pepper, he loved it. He said he would put it on anything. He put it on his chicken pot pie and loved it. 2- Artichoke, really good with chips, good with bread. Very far 3rd: Olive. But he hates olives, so I don't really count that.

Jared: 1- Red Pepper, He put it on some rice and baked chicken that he made and it turned out really well. Really went well with the rice I thought. 2- Olive, didn't really know what to do with it but liked it a lot. 3- Very close 3rd Artichoke, and really liked it with carrots and other veggies.

Laura: 1- Artichoke and Red Pepper, she put them both on some pizza and thought it was amazing. She also does not like olives, and therefor did not like the olive dip

Me: 1- Red Pepper, I really like the sweet/butnottoo sweet flavor and thought this could really go well on lots of dishes. I want to try it on some fish, maybe halibut or flounder, but it could really go on anything. 2- Artichoke, I love artichoke, thought it could have had a little less lemon, but really liked it anyway. I think it might go really well on some chicken/rice dish with the lemon flavor, but didn't get to try that. Very close 3rd is the Olive, I really liked it but don't know exactly what to do with it. Probably appetizers crackers and cheese and the like.

Overall they are all really interesting and good, and we ate almost all of the red pepper and artichoke, with about 3/4 of the jar of olive left. As we sat around the table with our refreshing drinks, we all decided that it was totally worth it for the jars alone. (We find turn of the century sites and jars and bottles are one way of dating them, so we are all into jars/bottles) Overall, I say BUY! Its fun sharing and the jars alone brought up good conversation. Thanks again WD, I hope I done well, as they say in this tiny, tiny town.

LBISurfer2

lauratchi wrote:There has to be some perk for living there!

I completely agree, I really love the state. The tiny town I live in, not so much. Great hiking and landscape, and the fly fishing is amazing. Can't wait to ride snowbird.

conroo

I got a FedX package from wine connection today and I thought, I don't have any wine coming. Then I got excited thinking that WD had a new marketing tool and was labratting people that have slowed down on their wine buying (which I have because of economics). I thought for sure it was the spreads. I opened the package with much anticipation and discovered it was my order of toffee from Brandini's. Still exciting, but not as much fun!

conroo

lauratchi wrote:There has to be some perk for living there!

i absolutely LOVE Utah! The terrain is so diverse. One of the the nations prettiest, IMHO.

conroo

LBISurfer2 wrote: As we sat around the table with our refreshing drinks, we all decided that it was totally worth it for the jars alone. (We find turn of the century sites and jars and bottles are one way of dating them, so we are all into jars/bottles)

Tee Hee! Never thought of it that way.

Toffeeking

quality posts: 36 Private Messages Toffeeking
LBISurfer2 wrote:Alright, my labrattery. I live in a house provided by my company with three other employee's. We are archaeologists working on a project in NE Utah. Upon receiving the blessed ticket, had to explain to my friends the honor and duties expected of me. Slightly confused but totally on board, we poured ourselves some crown and cokes and sat down to try them with anything we had available. I asked them to rank them 1-3 and offer anything other opinions:

Fred: 1-Red Pepper, he loved it. He said he would put it on anything. He put it on his chicken pot pie and loved it. 2- Artichoke, really good with chips, good with bread. Very far 3rd: Olive. But he hates olives, so I don't really count that.

Jared: 1- Red Pepper, He put it on some rice and baked chicken that he made and it turned out really well. Really went well with the rice I thought. 2- Olive, didn't really know what to do with it but liked it a lot. 3- Very close 3rd Artichoke, and really liked it with carrots and other veggies.

Laura: 1- Artichoke and Red Pepper, she put them both on some pizza and thought it was amazing. She also does not like olives, and therefor did not like the olive dip

Me: 1- Red Pepper, I really like the sweet/butnottoo sweet flavor and thought this could really go well on lots of dishes. I want to try it on some fish, maybe halibut or flounder, but it could really go on anything. 2- Artichoke, I love artichoke, thought it could have had a little less lemon, but really liked it anyway. I think it might go really well on some chicken/rice dish with the lemon flavor, but didn't get to try that. Very close 3rd is the Olive, I really liked it but don't know exactly what to do with it. Probably appetizers crackers and cheese and the like.

Overall they are all really interesting and good, and we ate almost all of the red pepper and artichoke, with about 3/4 of the jar of olive left. As we sat around the table with our refreshing drinks, we all decided that it was totally worth it for the jars alone. (We find turn of the century sites and jars and bottles are one way of dating them, so we are all into jars/bottles) Overall, I say BUY! Its fun sharing and the jars alone brought up good conversation. Thanks again WD, I hope I done well, as they say in this tiny, tiny town.

Love crown & coke!

stone75

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stone75

Trader Joe's, anyone? You can get the same three types of tapenade (not same brand) for 10-12 bucks. This is like something you would see for sale at Nordstrom's and then at the Nordstram Rack three months later when it doesn't sell.

MaskedMarvel

quality posts: 11 Private Messages MaskedMarvel

Just home from work. Labrattery to follow shortly. As always, my most humble thanks to WD and TPTB.

Succatash

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Succatash

I live in Utah, there must be a curse. My credit card is fine but Wine.Woot won't let me buy. This is spread dammit not the blood of Lucifer.

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm
MaskedMarvel wrote:

Just home from work. Labrattery to follow shortly. As always, my most humble thanks to WD and TPTB.

Man.., this comic strip is damn near worth a saw buck, IMHO.

lauratchi

winefarm wrote:Man.., this comic strip is damn near worth a saw buck, IMHO.

That and the labels. I cracked up when I saw it in the box. Some clever peoples working for the woot.

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
MaskedMarvel wrote:

Riddle me this: why is it that it's the comic strip that pushed me over?

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)