iceeblue7

quality posts: 3 Private Messages iceeblue7

I guess I like the occasional food deal here. The balsamic vinegar was outstanding. Its all I can do not to drink it out of the bottle. And for days like this, I am not a fan of these kinds of dips, I appreciate the chance for the credit card to cool off a bit. I still enjoy the forums, it seems that people can feel very strongly about their dips.

Dip on.

boaz38

quality posts: 2 Private Messages boaz38
Imagine4vr wrote:There are a number of tasting notes in the side deal thread. And yes, it's a twist off.

checked it out.........looks like there's some funny business with the shipping costs and i am not sold on the twist off concept...........thanks for the info

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
boaz38 wrote:checked it out.........looks like there's some funny business with the shipping costs and i am not sold on the twist off concept...........thanks for the info

nothing fishy going on, welcome to direct winery shipping costs

daedalusgroup

quality posts: 1 Private Messages daedalusgroup

In for two you cheap bast*rds. It's good to soak your liver in something besides wine from time to time

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

Do rats like tapenade? We'll soon find out!

A large, brown bird just dropped off a package with these babies, so my lunch break will be spent running to the store for suitable dip-vectors.

More later...

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

dnasquesttoblack3000

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dnasquesttoblack3000
Corrado wrote:Do rats like tapenade? We'll soon find out!

A large, brown bird just dropped off a package with these babies, so my lunch break will be spent running to the store for suitable dip-vectors.

More later...

nice. looking forward to it.

for those who say 8 bucks a tapenade is expensive...you're right, it is. of course you can get something cheaper at trader joes, costco, whatever.

what MAY vary, though, is the quality of ingredients. i know if i were to go to my farmers market or csa or whatever, get fresh local organic hippie whatever vegetables and make 8 oz of tapenade, it wouldn't be that much cheaper than this . i can't attest to the quality of this stuff...but its not really fair to compare it to either the cheapest mass produced stuff you can find, nor the most expensive artisan goods since we have no idea what really went into them. all we can go on is our previous experience of woot cellars goods...the monkey prize, tooth stain, whatever, and make an educated guess as to whether or not these'll be worth the money.

to me, their not. i love eating stuff like this, but i've got tons of csa veggies laying around, and really dig making stuff like this to go along with the woot wine that i can't make, but love to drink.

but if i had more money and less time, i'd totally be in. just so happens my net worth is in time, not money.

the quest:

1. humbug 2. GV's book 3. Wellington 3+mystery (X2) 4. woot norse thingy with funny bottle (X2) 5. va made me buy gundlach, 6. your mumm 7. willy nilly pinots 8. emergency woot wine 9. fake gunbun, 10. ty field 11. tryasipo'dis

shonnelizabeth

quality posts: 7 Private Messages shonnelizabeth
lauratchi wrote:Finally....

And well, the detractors can say what they want. I really haven't purchased any foodstuffs from wine.woot (or one of the side deals) that has been disappointing.
The Cool Beans dips were good. Wafer guy's stuff was good. Blacksak's coffee was outstanding. And these have been sent out to some of the wine.woot gatherings by the first couple of wine.woot to good reviews. Oh and let's not forget the toffee crack from Brandini.

With the holidays coming up this kind of thing is great to have on hand as a last minute party contribution. Put it in your own decorative bowl, garnish nicely and ttake all the credit.

Yes, the toffee is always a great gift. But I disagree about the Cool Beans. I bought the sampler of three flavors and thought all three were terrible. Too much of a vinegar taste overpowering any other flavor.

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
Cesare wrote:Ooh these would go great with Scott Harvey's InZINerators.

Mmmm ... I opened one of those InZinerator's last night! Very tasty stuff.

To your point, my son saw the label on the InZin, and asked, "is that another woot wine?"

CT | | | | | |

jwhite6114

dnasquesttoblack3000 wrote:nice. looking forward to it.

for those who say 8 bucks a tapenade is expensive...you're right, it is. of course you can get something cheaper at trader joes, costco, whatever.

what MAY vary, though, is the quality of ingredients. i know if i were to go to my farmers market or csa or whatever, get fresh local organic hippie whatever vegetables and make 8 oz of tapenade, it wouldn't be that much cheaper than this . i can't attest to the quality of this stuff...but its not really fair to compare it to either the cheapest mass produced stuff you can find, nor the most expensive artisan goods since we have no idea what really went into them. all we can go on is our previous experience of woot cellars goods...the monkey prize, tooth stain, whatever, and make an educated guess as to whether or not these'll be worth the money.

to me, their not. i love eating stuff like this, but i've got tons of csa veggies laying around, and really dig making stuff like this to go along with the woot wine that i can't make, but love to drink.

but if i had more money and less time, i'd totally be in. just so happens my net worth is in time, not money.

And here I thought you'd be in just to advance the Quest!

CT | | | | | |

Nostrom0

quality posts: 13 Private Messages Nostrom0

No thanks. Too expensive.
Next-

Stash at CT

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 33 Private Messages ddeuddeg
clayfu wrote:nothing fishy going on, welcome to direct winery shipping costs

You may be right, but $31 to ship 6 bottles from Healdsburg to Dallas, Cleveland, or Buffalo, but $9.50 to Detroit SEEMS sort of fishy.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

clayfu

ddeuddeg wrote:You may be right, but $31 to ship 6 bottles from Healdsburg to Dallas, Cleveland, or Buffalo, but $9.50 to Detroit SEEMS sort of fishy.

i think there's a glitch in their system. It's just one city it's not like different states all over the US are 8.50

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
ddeuddeg wrote:You may be right, but $31 to ship 6 bottles from Healdsburg to Dallas, Cleveland, or Buffalo, but $9.50 to Detroit SEEMS sort of fishy.

seems glitchy to me, did htey address why the difference in the thread? guess I could just go look

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

trizor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trizor

Shouldn't it be Sgt. Pepper? Or did he get comission?

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
trizor wrote:Shouldn't it be Sgt. Pepper? Or did he get comission?

Royalty and all that I'm sure

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm
JOATMON wrote:WF, which would you recommend to have with cream cheese?

Good morning! Sorry so late chiming in, girl's soccer game went into overtime and we pulled out the victory 3-2. We tried Dean Biersch's (Gordon Biersch) new brewpub for dinner on the way home from Sebastopol. Mixed reviews on the food, but the garlic fries were the bomb.

As for the cream cheese question. Yes, these are my pantry staples. I always keep a brick of cream cheese in the fridge, so if someone comes by, or I"m late for book club, I just place the cream cheese on the plate and pour the tapenade over it. Good crackers combine to make a wonderful appetizer. I'd say my favorite is the red pepper. Someone else brought up comparisons with Trader Joe's. The quality of these is just better. Ingredients are sourced locally and the producer is a wine.woot neighbor who also produces for a few other high-falutin' brands. You know, the ones with two names. ;)

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
winefarm wrote:Good morning! Sorry so late chiming in, girl's soccer game went into overtime and we pulled out the victory 3-2. We tried Dean Biersch's (Gordon Biersch) new brewpub for dinner on the way home from Sebastopol. Mixed reviews on the food, but the garlic fries were the bomb.

As for the cream cheese question. Yes, these are my pantry staples. I always keep a brick of cream cheese in the fridge, so if someone comes by, or I"m late for book club, I just place the cream cheese on the plate and pour the tapenade over it. Good crackers combine to make a wonderful appetizer. I'd say my favorite is the red pepper. Someone else brought up comparisons with Trader Joe's. The quality of these is just better. Ingredients are sourced locally and the producer is a wine.woot neighbor who also produces for a few other high-falutin' brands. You know, the ones with two names. ;)

William Sonoma? Dean & DeLuca? Whole Foods?

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

mspeaker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mspeaker

Do the woot people really think that we are interested in DIP that costs $8 a jar???? I always thought they smoke somethin' good when writing the item descriptions, but now I think they guy who comes up with the prices is joining them.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Are these... Could they be...? YES THEY ARE!!! These are the tapenades we received at the FIRST EVER Detroit area tasting WAY BACK WHEN! Of this set, we had the roasted red pepper and the green olive. I found the green olive to be a little too salty, but the red pepper was INCREDIBLE. These tapenades work gorgeously with crusty bread, or mix them up with pasta. You can also use it over chicken for a great way to bring extra flavor to the meal.

Yeah, I'm SO in.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

winefarm

clayfu wrote:nothing fishy going on, welcome to direct winery shipping costs

Now that, Mr. Clayfu, we can agree on.

Viva la $5.00 shipping !

WD

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

dnasquesttoblack3000 wrote:nice. looking forward to it.

what MAY vary, though, is the quality of ingredients.
...edit...

I would classify these as 'farmer's market' type products. All ingredients are REAL and the contents have the appearance of homemade goods.

I found the Olive to be a bit salty for me, but that's always my complaints about ANYTHING with olives and of most tapenades. Part of the problem was that my first sample was with a salted chip and it was overkill. On WheatThins, the stuff is hella tasty. It's a VERY chunky tapenade, which is to say there's everything from mince to chunk in the jar. Flavor is excellent and very pure. I can be pretty hot & cold on olive -based tapenades, but at my current rate of consumption, the jar won't last the day.

In my world, artichoke is only palatable when saturated with cheese and baked in dip format. Whomever made this did a masterful job of blending everything together in a product that's got a very creamy mouthfeel while retaining the character and substance of the artichoke. Love the Parmesan and *this* one goes equally well with the WheatThins and Tostitos. Best one of the trio.

Finally, the Red Pepper tapenade. This is by far the most user-intensive product. It's fairly oily, so regular mixing is required to keep a good suspension of the goods. If you like roasted red peppers, you'll like this. If you don't, you probably won't. I was disappointed that there wasn't any Hot pepper spice given the firey-looking packaging, but once I got over that, I was in chow-down mode. Flavors were very natural and (sorry to sound repetitive) reminiscent of something you'd find at a natural foods store or farmer's market.

If these had a different packaging that catered to the Williams-Sonoma buyer, I wouldn't be surprised to see these sell for $10+/ea or the trio for $28. In most cases, you have to search the local foods section of your favorite store (or natural foods store, depending on where you live) to find anything like this.

I would put this offering in the same category as the Polyphemus -- pricier than what the typical woot buyer would expect, not the ridiculous screaming bargain some of the other woot offerings have been, but not over-priced by any means, and worth the asking price.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

cheron98

Gosh darn it.

Corrado, You've been packed!

clayfu

JOATMON wrote:William Sonoma? Dean & DeLuca? Whole Foods?

trader joe? (a big step down from the aforementioned markets). Rite aid? hehe

michaelharary

quality posts: 0 Private Messages michaelharary

are these kosher they sure do look good

kmeyersvt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kmeyersvt

I am lucky enough to work with Corrado who was generous enough to share with the rest of the rats in our cube maze.

My favorite is the artichoke. The lemon and caper flavors come through well balanced with the artichokes and I agree with Corrado on the mouthfeel being perfectly creamy. Very enjoyable to eat. After this post, I'm going to see if there's any left!

I love olive tampenade and this one doesn't disappoint. I like things salty, so I didn't find it to be too salty at all. Olives are salty. It has a very intriguing spice profile that I haven't quite put my finger on, but it also is a very well balanced jar. I'm going to have more of this after I have some artichoke.

I'm not a huge fan of roasted red peppers, so I can't fairly evaluate that one. It was tasty, but the other two were my favorites.

Since this isn't something that you eat every day, I'd put the price point on the top of a "special treat" category, but the ingredients and flavor profiles are excellent which makes them worth the cost, IMHO.

Insert witty saying here.

KryseeMac

quality posts: 2 Private Messages KryseeMac
samira wrote:Thank you!
I have seen these kind of prices like at Harry and David, but this stuff is not even fresh, so to call it vegetables is a bit of a stretch...here in Oregon (yes, I know I am lucky) we can get good organic fresh salsa for much much less, and you can even make your own tapenade in no time.
$8 per 10 oz jar for dip (even though it does look good) is way too much in my opinion...Anyone seen the stock market up there in NY recently? If you can pay that much, more power to you, but don't snob down on those of us whose money is hard earned...

I totally agree with you. I am across the Columbia River in Washington from you and I too think this is just too expensive. I did buy 3 of the Random Shirts though. Good deal there.

jwhite6114

KryseeMac wrote:I totally agree with you. I am across the Columbia River in Washington from you and I too think this is just too expensive. I did buy 3 of the Random Shirts though. Good deal there.

Sometimes -- depends on the shirts you get. My first two random shirt orders were both scores! My third, not so much.

(now if they were just a $1, like a Blogging Old CEO, then hellz ya!)

CT | | | | | |

cheron98

clayfu wrote:i think there's a glitch in their system. It's just one city it's not like different states all over the US are 8.50

It's all of Michigan. And apparently another state that I can't remember off the top of my head right now - I want to say Missouri. So it's not just one city, and it is different states all over the US

Spoonlord

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Spoonlord

This actually seems more like a chutney rather than a tapenade.

Either way, thanks Woot for putting up something I don't even have to think twice about not purchasing. Especially after that Bill Bass pen fiasco.

-G

KryseeMac

jwhite6114 wrote:Sometimes -- depends on the shirts you get. My first two random shirt orders were both scores! My third, not so much.

(now if they were just a $1, like a Blogging Old CEO, then hellz ya!)

I have been lucky also getting them. I first just got one and liked it so got 2 the next time. I liked them too but ordered 2 different sizes. Bad luck was that I wish the shirts would have been switched in their sizes. I loved the size I got for my husband and he liked the one I got in my size. Since I usually get L or XL this time I got all 3 in XL and hope we like them. If nothing else at least we both can wear them. :o)

clayfu

cheron98 wrote:It's all of Michigan. And apparently another state that I can't remember off the top of my head right now - I want to say Missouri. So it's not just one city, and it is different states all over the US

glitch glitch glitch. No one is being devious here. They would be losing massive amounts of money doing that on purpose.

lauratchi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi
Spoonlord wrote:This actually seems more like a chutney rather than a tapenade.

Either way, thanks Woot for putting up something I don't even have to think twice about not purchasing. Especially after that Bill Bass pen fiasco.

-G

Oh yeah, those pens were um... not so useful.

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

KryseeMac

lauratchi wrote:Oh yeah, those pens were um... not so useful.

I bought some of those but have not used them yet. Were they bad? I had got them for Christmas presents and don't want to give them out if they run out of ink fast or something.

Never mind. Just found the new comments on them. Understand now.

afranke

quality posts: 10 Private Messages afranke
Incog79 wrote:Afranke, no one who lives in NYC and pays six bucks for salsa has any concept of what constitutes 'outlandish' for the 295+ million people in this country that don't live in Manhattan. I'm up in Harlem, and can easily find more than adequate stuff at Trader Joe's for less than four dollars when I make it down to Union Sq., or when I can't, in the 4-5 dollar range anywhere else.

I know, which is why I said that I didn't know where people lived. I travel in the summer to the midwest for research, and do have a concept for how prices change based on geography.

At 1:30AM, I should have been of the mind to judge cost in dollars/ounce. In which case, the jar of salsa I happened to grab from the fridge would have been much cheaper. It just happened to be a larger-sized jar of stuff from Westside Market that, in fact, my roommate bought. I prefer the stuff from Fairway which, now that I think about it, is about $4.

For a site that sells $20+ bottles of fermented juice, with the prices of said products varying by factors of 2-3 from week to week, it just seemed like people were making a big deal of the cost.

yathink2

quality posts: 4 Private Messages yathink2

Thread HiJack!!!!

Big shout out to all in the NE FL or SE GA area!!! We are trying to get together a Tasting to meet our fellow Wine.Wooters. Please visit the thread in my sig, and chime in for the prefered dates and the wines you want to bring.

End HiJack!

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
Corrado wrote:Do rats like tapenade? We'll soon find out!

More later...

Labratting the day that the offer came up. Sounds fishy. Sounds like a little payback to a volunteer moderator.

You deserve it. Enjoy!

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

sawbones84

quality posts: 7 Private Messages sawbones84

you want me to spend 25 dollars on three jars of dip? you're frakking nuts

gdraughon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gdraughon

This is basically $8.33 per jar after shipping. Does that seem a bit high to anyone else?

washtub80

quality posts: 0 Private Messages washtub80
afranke wrote:Not sure where you live, but I routinely pay $6 for a jar of salsa here in NYC. More if it's that fancy-schmancy organic stuff. I realize you wouldn't dip nachos in this, but in terms of the "chopped veggies in a jar" price point, I don't think it's too outlandish.

I could make all three of these for 10 bucks; for 25 you can have a tasting smorgasbord. Don't be lazy people just make your own dip, I mean spread...

winefarm

polarbear22 wrote:Labratting the day that the offer came up. Sounds fishy. Sounds like a little payback to a volunteer moderator.

You deserve it. Enjoy!

guilty!

WD