coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
otolith wrote:Would have been disappointed to hear that you'd pass up this one, given I've met you, wearing fangs and all.

Me, otoh, will probably skip, but may be interested in the wine side deal, just to keep the vertical going....

Oto - let me know if you decide to buy some. I may chip in for some as well, and we could save on/split shipping.

I tallied up my bottle total, and figured out my drinking pace, and concluded that I might be able to get to 2010 without buying any more wine. So, I'm going to pass on this offer and all others for a while, unless they're just too screaming a deal to pass up. But Poizin was the wine that first drew me into wine woot, and when I didn't get the clearance to ship to my workplace in time to buy last year's, I swore I would buy it when it came up again.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
eileron wrote:In for one pack.

Yeah...so I'm a lurker. But I'd love to labrat this out. Here's to hoping :D

TabbyFL55 wrote:n41. Willing to Lab-rat.

Just so's ya know for next time, in order to qualify for rattage, you must make the purchase by 10am CT on the first day of the offering (so either Monday or Thursday). Any time after that, you're too late.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

TabbyFL55

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TabbyFL55
UBlink wrote:And, I also hate to be picky, but I think the statement would make just as much sense had it said the wines are miles ahead from the wines of the past. Distance is a metaphor for measuring how the quality had improved. Light years is just a kind of hyberbole thing.

I once dated a girl who would describe really loud noises by saying, "that broke the sound barrier!"

I'd always pat her on the head and say nothing.

TabbyFL55

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TabbyFL55
cheron98 wrote:Just so's ya know for next time, in order to qualify for rattage, you must make the purchase by 10am CT on the first day of the offering (so either Monday or Thursday). Any time after that, you're too late.

Oh. I just got back from vacation so it feels like Monday.

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney
TabbyFL55 wrote:I once dated a girl who would describe really loud noises by saying, "that broke the sound barrier!"

I'd always pat her on the head and say nothing.

Ha, good stuff. Maybe she meant it as a simile, "That was as loud as something breaking the sound barrier". ok, maybe not!

CT

laxdad

quality posts: 2 Private Messages laxdad

I sure hope WD was right with the "guaranteed by Halloween" statement - my neighbor goes absolutely insane making his house into a Haunted House (runs it for two days) and this looks like the perfect "thanks for knocking yourself out" gift.

Well, I'll keep one bottle of each for testing of course.

laurmom

quality posts: 1 Private Messages laurmom

Having our annual Halloween party which includes Man Loaf and the mamas drinking the wine whilst the papas take the gobblins out candy grabbing. Bit-O-Honeys are my favorite. Never had them with wine though.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 207 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

laxdad wrote:I sure hope WD was right with the "guaranteed by Halloween" statement - my neighbor goes absolutely insane making his house into a Haunted House (runs it for two days) and this looks like the perfect "thanks for knocking yourself out" gift.

Well, I'll keep one bottle of each for testing of course.

yes, will arrive for holloween festivities.

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
timbyrd wrote:That put me in mind of something. Anyone here ever play Vampire: The Masquerade? In that game, the vampires are the kindred, and humans are referred to as "kine".

Back in college I used to play in V:tM LARPs and I played in V:tM MUXes online for over 10 years. Even helped staff one and run storylines etc. Still own a whole stack of the books. I fully stopped now about a year and a half or so ago. Kinda miss it at times, but it just sucked up too much of my time and many sleepless nights staying up late that I felt the need to cut back.
One of these days maybe I'll go back to the one I had been playing on all those years to see if it's still got any activity. Maybe.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

paryb

quality posts: 17 Private Messages paryb

Got home last night after a mini family vacation...and spent lots of dough, showed the wine to lady Paryb, and she said it's a must have. Heh, usually I'm the one who buys too much wine when finances are tight...

189 Bottles of wine from Woot so far!
$3319.36or a mere $17.56 per bottle.

wine.woot Keeping Paryb in the red(and sometimes white) since 5/9/2007

dodongo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages dodongo
timbyrd wrote:Cute.

That put me in mind of something. Anyone here ever play Vampire: The Masquerade? In that game, the vampires are the kindred, and humans are referred to as "kine".

Ack! You geek!

But that brings up two very good points:

1. I obviously am also a geek since I knew exactly what you were talking about.
2. Geeks are mercifully welcome, coddled, encouraged and liquored up around here, so it's all good.

eileron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eileron
cheron98 wrote:Just so's ya know for next time, in order to qualify for rattage, you must make the purchase by 10am CT on the first day of the offering (so either Monday or Thursday). Any time after that, you're too late.

Oh, I ordered long before I posted. My receipt's not timestamped, though, so I don't know what time it was...but it was Monday morning...*hopes*

HitAnyKey42

eileron wrote:Oh, I ordered long before I posted. My receipt's not timestamped, though, so I don't know what time it was...but it was Monday morning...*hopes*

Little hint....just check the time the EMAIL came into your inbox. That might help.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

JanFP

quality posts: 11 Private Messages JanFP

Hi there - first labrat checking in with a little mid-day drinking. What a delightful surprise!

I have the 2005 Dracula Wine - the Syrah. Gorgeous, refined label - doesn't give first impression as a "cutsey" wine. Rubber cork - easier to get a corkscrew in than a regular cork.

In the glass - first nose is blackberries and chocolate, a bit of the alcohol. Alcohol drops off after a few minutes of airing. Deep rich color goes to garnet red against the light - very pretty. Good glass cling - no really seeing any legs. Next post - first taste!

Too much wine, too many beer-drinking friends

JanFP

Ok first taste - very smooth - no tannins, but quite dry - no overwhelming fruitiness or sweetness. Alcohol nose did not translate to any harsh alcohol taste. Not getting a lot of individual flavors - just a hint of black cherry at the finish.

This is no dreck. This wine drinks, to me, like a very fine blend. I finished my taste, and there's still cling in the glass. I'm regretting I only ordered one.

I will have a glass or two tonight with the Burgundy Beef Stew I have on the stove now.

eileron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eileron
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Little hint....just check the time the EMAIL came into your inbox. That might help.

*giggles*, I only thought of that after I posted. 9:42 am ET. Woot woot.

Good news from the first LabRat though. I'm looking forward to getting my order now

PS: why does "ha ha" get turned into *giggles*?

IAmUnimaginative

quality posts: 1 Private Messages IAmUnimaginative
jwhite6114 wrote:I have seen Poizin at Total Wine stores in the NoVa/DC area for $25 a bottle -- so you may still be able to get some.

Oooh, where? I live in Fairfax Station.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Back in college I used to play in V:tM LARPs and I played in V:tM MUXes online for over 10 years. Even helped staff one and run storylines etc. Still own a whole stack of the books. I fully stopped now about a year and a half or so ago. Kinda miss it at times, but it just sucked up too much of my time and many sleepless nights staying up late that I felt the need to cut back.
One of these days maybe I'll go back to the one I had been playing on all those years to see if it's still got any activity. Maybe.

LARP I am familiar with, and I would love to see pics of that by the way, but what the fux a mux?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
IAmUnimaginative wrote:Oooh, where? I live in Fairfax Station.

I saw it at the Manassas store last fall. I expect they'd have the new vintage this year, but haven't checked recently.

If you're in the area, you should check out the upcoming NoVA/DC gatherings:

CT | | | | | |

HitAnyKey42

bhodilee wrote:LARP I am familiar with, and I would love to see pics of that by the way, but what the fux a mux?

Answered multiple times over in the Pub....

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Answered multiple times over in the Pub....

Yeah, but I work for govmint, we love redundancy, why don't you explain it here too

I keed I keed

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

And for those looking for unique glasses to go with Vampire or PoiZin .... The 7 Deadly Glasses based on the 7 Deadly Sins.

I remember someone posted these in the CyberPub before, but couldn't find the original post.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

JanFP

Lab rat #1 - wine with dinner

OK, I had the Dracula Syrah with dinner - Burgundy Beef Stew. This had a half bottle of Corison Cab, lots of cumin and garlic, and Szechuan peppercorns. The Syrah held up to it very well - neither the wine nor the stew overpowered. But I think the Syrah enhanced the pepperiness of the stew- there's a bit of an afterburn, but totally pleasant.

There's a good mouthfeel with the wine - it feels fuller than the wine's body indicates.

Tasting notes are straight out of the barrel, no decanting. I don't think this wine needs it. Absolutely clear - I haven't seen any sediment in the bottle.

Overall, I'm highly positive about this. I'm considering going to the winery site - I'm really love to try their Zin!

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
JanFP wrote: Burgundy Beef Stew. This had a half bottle of Corison Cab

This borders on criminal.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

iceeblue7

quality posts: 3 Private Messages iceeblue7
ddeuddeg wrote:This borders on criminal.

I concur. You must really love your stews!

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm

llo

cjsiege

quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege

Infanticide, if nothing else!

KryseeMac

quality posts: 2 Private Messages KryseeMac
MarkDaSpark wrote: The 7 Deadly Glasses based on the 7 Deadly Sins.

Fill the glass so all "7 Deadly Sins" are filled too...then drink. mmmm.....I would love to see a video of anyone trying to drink the wine from those scary looking tentacles. I am even embarrassed to mentioned that this glass would work well for those Tentacle P*rn parties I have never heard of or been to.

boaz38

quality posts: 2 Private Messages boaz38

In for one and hope it will add to the decor of the halloween party!! I'm sure it will be a hit!! thanks WD&WCC

sorted123

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sorted123

RE: "Suffice it to say however, that the lead winemaker recently received a rating of 96 from the Wine Spectator – a grade almost unheard of."

Perhaps someone more skilled at internet usage than I could figure this out but... if 96 from WS is indeed so unheard of, couldn't one simply look to see which wine(s) from the region received a 96 in the past year, then deduce that said winewaker is the person behind these?

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
ticomike wrote:Hey D, if you order let me know. I would get a couple bottles. Shipping to me was $42 for what I wanted. I've got "three" of "this" coming, but could use more theme wine for the party.

I don't plan on ordering this wine...but am interested in the side deal. Would just want one bottle, no "anecdote." ;)

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
coynedj wrote:Oto - let me know if you decide to buy some. I may chip in for some as well, and we could save on/split shipping.

I tallied up my bottle total, and figured out my drinking pace, and concluded that I might be able to get to 2010 without buying any more wine. So, I'm going to pass on this offer and all others for a while, unless they're just too screaming a deal to pass up. But Poizin was the wine that first drew me into wine woot, and when I didn't get the clearance to ship to my workplace in time to buy last year's, I swore I would buy it when it came up again.

I probably have enough until 2020. :shrug:

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

cwillwood

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cwillwood

Lab rat checking in. I was very surprised and pleased when Fedex arrived with my golden ticket!! I recieved the Chateau Du Vampire. Everyone at the office wanted me to break into it right then and there, however corporate policy does not allow, so I had to wait till I got home. Once the bottle was opened, I was surprised by the amount of alcohol smell, but also cherry and chocolate. First sip, did not taste the alcohol, but a wonderful blend. Not too fruity, not too dry, just right. It has a finish that is clean and dry. It opened up even more as the evening progressed. I am very pleased with this wine, and glad that I ordered it. I wish my finances would allow for me to purchase 3 instead of one.... but alas.... I am happy to have had the opportunity to sample this one.

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78

Just found out I'm a labrat!! Woooo Hoooo!!! Unfortunately they tried to deliver it while shop was closed, but I am going to go pick it up in the morning and will report in ASAP!!!

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

UBlink

quality posts: 19 Private Messages UBlink
cjsiege wrote:Infanticide, if nothing else!

Are you sure? The rat didn't mention what vintage Corison was used in the stew - of course, if it was an appropriate vintage that would make it even more mind-boggling to be used as a cooking wine.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

HitAnyKey42

tommythecat78 wrote:Just found out I'm a labrat!! Woooo Hoooo!!! Unfortunately they tried to deliver it while shop was closed, but I am going to go pick it up in the morning and will report in ASAP!!!

We knew WD wouldn't be able to resist sending a bottle to our resident vampire!

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

paryb

quality posts: 17 Private Messages paryb
UBlink wrote:Are you sure? The rat didn't mention what vintage Corison was used in the stew - of course, if it was an appropriate vintage that would make it even more mind-boggling to be used as a cooking wine.

Never cook with something you wouldn't drink.

Cooking wine is for bad cooks and Kitty Dukakis.

189 Bottles of wine from Woot so far!
$3319.36or a mere $17.56 per bottle.

wine.woot Keeping Paryb in the red(and sometimes white) since 5/9/2007

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
sorted123 wrote:RE: "Suffice it to say however, that the lead winemaker recently received a rating of 96 from the Wine Spectator – a grade almost unheard of."

Perhaps someone more skilled at internet usage than I could figure this out but... if 96 from WS is indeed so unheard of, couldn't one simply look to see which wine(s) from the region received a 96 in the past year, then deduce that said winewaker is the person behind these?

in 2006 no one in paso robles got a 96. Nor in 2005. But let's say they wrote this in 2006/2007. Which means the wines would be 2004, maybe 03's.

Let's run down the list of the winemakers

Thomas Browne
Michael Browne/Dan Kosta
Mike Aubert
either Philippe Melka or Helen Turley
Celia Masyczek
Brian Mox (maybe)
Mark Herold
Tom Rochioli
Terry Speizer
Bob Foley
Mike Herby

Uh, pretty much all Napa County guys/gals? That don't normally deal with $20 bottles...

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
JanFP wrote:Ok first taste - very smooth - no tannins, but quite dry - no overwhelming fruitiness or sweetness. Alcohol nose did not translate to any harsh alcohol taste. Not getting a lot of individual flavors - just a hint of black cherry at the finish.

This is no dreck. This wine drinks, to me, like a very fine blend. I finished my taste, and there's still cling in the glass. I'm regretting I only ordered one.

I will have a glass or two tonight with the Burgundy Beef Stew I have on the stove now.

sounds lean and flavorless.. Could you elaborate more on what makes you regret not ordering more?

mkmorton

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mkmorton

I am the VP of sales and part of the winemaking team for the Chateau Du Vampire and Dracula wines. I can tell you that we are real proud our wines and you can feel sure that these are good quality wines.

The Chateau Du Vampire has an alcohol level of 13.4 PH:3.61 TA 700 and the RS is .5

The Dracula Syrah has an alcohol level of 13.1% PH: 3.59 TA:661 and RS.5.

Most of our 1st time consumers purchase our wines because of our label. However, they come back because of the taste. We have very loyal fans!