JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
J3buswrx wrote: So I will be trying a glass now, and again with dinner and the wife.

There is just so many things I could do with that statement.....

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

mrgms

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrgms
Corrado wrote:Is it clue time or do we not get anything until tonight?

Behind the scenes brother George here. WD is heading back from an alumni bball game so I'll be pinch hitting.
Clue-Don't count on Poizin

kylemittskus

quality posts: 228 Private Messages kylemittskus
mrgms wrote:Behind the scenes brother George here. WD is heading back from an alumni bball game so I'll be pinch hitting.

WD has a brother? And his brother is telling us it's not Poizin?

Can anyone confirm the identity of this dubious mrgms?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

smartheart

quality posts: 94 Private Messages smartheart
mrgms wrote:Behind the scenes brother George here. WD is heading back from an alumni bball game so I'll be pinch hitting.

Couldn't be a tricky clue, could it George? Methuselah's life could be COUNTed in many years.....a methuselah (6 liters) of Poizin? Nah.....must be something else.

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

ticomike

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ticomike

Maybe Anecdote tonight and Poizin on Wednesday?

PghRiverRat

quality posts: 1 Private Messages PghRiverRat
ticomike wrote:Maybe Anecdote tonight and Poizin on Wednesday?

Once upon a time there was this web site that sold wine, and....oh, never mind. No Poizin is a real letdown though. Hope we see it sometime soon.

I like to cook with wine. In fact, I drank a bottle last night while cooking dinner!

Lighter

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Lighter
kylemittskus wrote:WD has a brother? And his brother is telling us it's not Poizin?)

1. Sure does.
2. And just as sneaky.
3. I wouldn't be so literal with the clue as phrased. See #2.

LaVikinga

quality posts: 13 Private Messages LaVikinga

Playing off the word "count" here... "Count" as in Count Dracula who was a vampire. Maybe Vampire Wines?
http://www.vampire.com/

Wine may not heal all things, but it sure will make you feel a whole lot better.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 173 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
LaVikinga wrote:Playing off the word "count" here... "Count" as in Count Dracula who was a vampire. Maybe Vampire Wines?
http://www.vampire.com/

Well, going off of Count, could be Buena Vista’s founder, Count Agoston Haraszthy. They have some nice Pinot Noir, as well as Chard, Merlot, & Syrah.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

smartheart

quality posts: 94 Private Messages smartheart

quote postid="2641878" user="mrgms"]....count....[/quote]

Yes, possibly a collection from Vampire (though price point is low)....or even much more unlikely, "Castle of Dracula" or Valduna. Or maybe the possibly apocryphal "Bela Lugosi Merlot."

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

damightyanteater

quality posts: 12 Private Messages damightyanteater
cheron98 wrote:PSith Master says 02KRPS is OK to drink now.

Excellent, I bought a PS (2005 Elyse) earlier this week and have been dying to drink one. The KR is too tempting though and since its ready now, I think i'll crack that one open instead! Sweet!

What about the others I mentioned?

My last 5 woots:
  • Robert Craig Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon x2
  • Woot Cellars Boss Monster Zinfandel Six - Pack
  • Armida Winery Poizin Trio
  • Olivestri Siloro olio nuovo
  • Wellington Vineyard Designate Cabernet Trio

wootvirgin69

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wootvirgin69
MarkDaSpark wrote:Well, going off of Count, could be Buena Vista’s founder, Count Agoston Haraszthy. They have some nice Pinot Noir, as well as Chard, Merlot, & Syrah.

Oh man, we are soooo due for a nice PN, too...been many moons. Here's to hoping!

sarah40460

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sarah40460

I've been really, really wanting them to bring the Poizin back. I emailed Armida a month or so back, and they said at the time that they had no plans on returning. I sure do hope things have changed.

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in food."

kttest

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kttest
MarkDaSpark wrote:Well, going off of Count, could be Buena Vista’s founder, Count Agoston Haraszthy. They have some nice Pinot Noir, as well as Chard, Merlot, & Syrah.

That would be awesome, I hope you're right!!

- Krista
"Wine is the most civilized thing in the world." -Ernest Hemingway.
NYC Tastings Summary courtesy of HAK

kkv123

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kkv123

For those who have been following the Napa wildfire, here's an email update from Kent Rasmussen:

"...the fire was exciting to watch. It was (still is a little bit) in an area about a mile from us that has lots of nice houses. Somehow I think only one house burned. When it started the fire folk really jumped on it -- dozens and dozens of trucks, a couple of helicopters and a couple of bombers. Friday was a very windy day however and it was in an area with lot of foliage so it kept burning all night. We have not really had any rain since the first week of February so the danger of big wildland fires is extremely high this year.

Hope all is well in your part of the world and thank you for being so supportive of our wines on woot."

So we may all sleep well tonight, knowing that all is well at the Kent Rasmussen ranch.

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD
kkv123 wrote:For those who have been following the Napa wildfire, here's an email update from Kent Rasmussen:

"...the fire was exciting to watch. It was (still is a little bit) in an area about a mile from us that has lots of nice houses. Somehow I think only one house burned. When it started the fire folk really jumped on it -- dozens and dozens of trucks, a couple of helicopters and a couple of bombers. Friday was a very windy day however and it was in an area with lot of foliage so it kept burning all night. We have not really had any rain since the first week of February so the danger of big wildland fires is extremely high this year.

Hope all is well in your part of the world and thank you for being so supportive of our wines on woot."

So we may all sleep well tonight, knowing that all is well at the Kent Rasmussen ranch.

Thank you for keeping us in the know.

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD

Great first name!

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron
ticomike wrote:Maybe Anecdote tonight and Poizin on Wednesday?

That would be "Antidote"

But I like the Vampire Vineyards guess better. The Chateau du Vampire and the Dracula labels are good price points for a "fun" w.w offering of three or so bottles. Or one of those and three standard Vampire wines would make a good four-pack.

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

WF - PM for you. Thanks!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 228 Private Messages kylemittskus
iByron wrote:That would be "Antidote"

But I like the Vampire Vineyards guess better. The Chateau du Vampire and the Dracula labels are good price points for a "fun" w.w offering of three or so bottles. Or one of those and three standard Vampire wines would make a good four-pack.

NO NO NO!!! I have to resist because I have Vegas over Halloween and then Christmas presents to buy and I just bought the port and I am out of room and I don't think I would be able to resist the Vampire Vineyards with a cab blend and a dark chocolate palated (not a real word) Syrah and please no.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

ticomike

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ticomike
iByron wrote:That would be "Antidote"

Yeah, that's right. Didn't give the spelling a second thought...

Vampire Vineyards makes sense...If it is Poizin, maybe "count" would refer to the little wooden coffins....doubtful, but...

timbyrd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages timbyrd

For what it's worth, the Cost Plus World Market flyer in today's paper has:

Trick California Red
Treat California White
Evil Cab or Chard
Zombie Zin
Vampire Merlot, Cab, Chard, or Pinot
Pinot Evil

The website also has:

Black Cat Riesling

The Vampire wines are priced at $8.99. Can woot make a deal out of that (with $5 shipping!) at such a low price point?

-- T

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

conroo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages conroo

Anything "Armida" would be a buy from me.

W:too many to count
WW:too many to count
SW:too many to count
SOW:too many to count

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

timbyrd wrote:For what it's worth, the Cost Plus World Market flyer in today's paper has:

Trick California Red
Treat California White
Evil Cab or Chard
Zombie Zin
Vampire Merlot, Cab, Chard, or Pinot
Pinot Evil

The website also has:

Black Cat Riesling

The Vampire wines are priced at $8.99. Can woot make a deal out of that (with $5 shipping!) at such a low price point?

-- T

Pinot Evil is one of the worst wines I've ever had. It's worth buying to to appreciate how good 'average' $7/bottle wine is (in comparison).

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

timbyrd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages timbyrd
Corrado wrote:Pinot Evil is one of the worst wines I've ever had. It's worth buying to to appreciate how good 'average' $7/bottle wine is (in comparison).

According to the ad, Pinot Evil is $4.47 - so now where's your price/quality ratio, buster?

-- T
(sipping some amontillado - it has a sour finish - I wouldn't recommend going in search of a cask of it...)

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron
kylemittskus wrote:NO NO NO!!! I have to resist because I have Vegas over Halloween and then Christmas presents to buy and I just bought the port and I am out of room and I don't think I would be able to resist the Vampire Vineyards with a cab blend and a dark chocolate palated (not a real word) Syrah and please no.

Heh! That's exactly what you got it seems!

Condolences to your wallet!

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

yomeister5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yomeister5

First time poster, first time labrat!

Thanks to WD and KR I have the opportunity to sample the Tempranillo dessert wine.
This is the first time I have written down any critical impressions of wine, so bear with me if the descriptions fall short of how wonderful this wine is.

The Tempranillo tasted best at room temperature. The flavor seems to have hints of raspberry, perhaps from the combination of bitterness and sweetness, and the lack of woody or oaky flavors was refreshing.
The aroma of the wine added a lot to the experience providing depth and spice to the sensations experienced on the palate.

A lot of the my impressions of the texture mirrors that of Labrous and jrod703 in that there is little after taste and the flavor lingers just long enough to enjoy, but quickly dissapates and leaves you wanting more.
I think this was a valuable trait as the wine is deliciously sweet and not overpowering.

Thanks again WD and KR; I look forward to trying out the whole set!

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

Thanks, yomeister! You've been packed!

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Woo shipped! Esoterica arriving on Friday! YAY!!!

That was FAST.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

damightyanteater

quality posts: 12 Private Messages damightyanteater
cheron98 wrote:Woo shipped! Esoterica arriving on Friday! YAY!!!

That was FAST.

Yeah - same here and I was pretty surprised as well!

My last 5 woots:
  • Robert Craig Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon x2
  • Woot Cellars Boss Monster Zinfandel Six - Pack
  • Armida Winery Poizin Trio
  • Olivestri Siloro olio nuovo
  • Wellington Vineyard Designate Cabernet Trio

jkwest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jkwest

Got em!!!

Came in today!! What a cute little box they have shown up in as well!!! Nice display...way to go Mr. Rasmussen!!!

Wine only comes in one color...Red...

docklink

quality posts: 2 Private Messages docklink

EEEEEEE!!!!!!!!! UPS damaged the shippment before delivery (Didn't even make it to me) I am sooo bummed. I hope there was sufficient remainder stock to reship.
Did I mention I am so bummed?

Bacchus had it right!!

hockeyhabit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hockeyhabit

Mine arrived damaged. What a mess and what a shame. Glass and port all over the box. Emailed woot. Hope they can replace.

sandtrap

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sandtrap
sandtrap wrote:I am a labrat!!!

2004 California Trousseau Dessert Wine

I will be opening soon to share with the fine folks I work with (the willing at least).

sandtrap wrote:First thoughts

It is after 12:00 p.m. here. No better time to open the Trousseau than right now. Also I don't get my paycheck unless I give our controller a taste before she leaves in an hour.

This is a very smooth wine. It is very fruity. I taste some red raspberry. I like this very much. Maybe I should have been drinking ports long before now.

I will check back in later.

sandtrap wrote:The verdict is in from the work crowd.

"I love it can I buy some please"

"Okay, but the aftertaste is a little bitter"

"I want to take this hiking"

"tasty"

"very good"

So overall it was well received here. Most of us are first time port drinkers. Now I will take it home for round 2.

I finally had the opportunity to finish the Trousseau. After about 4 days uncorked it was a little more bitter but was still very drinkable.

My Sister will be receiving her gift at Christmas. It is entirely up to her if I will have more opportunities to enjoy this wine.

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

Definitely a great excuse for a party. I served this experiment to about a dozen party goers @ Festivus a few weeks ago. The 100% bottles showed remarkable differences. Some were all sugar & fruit with no structure and some were all structure. All agreed that the final blend was to die for.

I've got another set in the basement for SOME time in the future, but for now, I'll just leave this with a huge, "THANK YOU!" to Kent & wine.woot for bringing us this offering.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."