+ Add a Comment

LoonBoarder

quality posts: 7 Private Messages LoonBoarder
cjsiege wrote:Me three! Since I'm after t's "Me Too".

Me 4?

Dude... wait, what?

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
cheron98 wrote:See, I don't see how that compares, since at midnight Christmas eve, I'm fer damn sure gonna be checking and wooting But hey, you'll get 8 days of presents and we only get one. So to you!

'xactly -- Christmas Eve will sellout by 12:05AM -- by noon the Sold Out! sign will be cold.

CT | | | | | |

mcvick0

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mcvick0

Everyone go to sellout.woot.com so we have a woot.com/wine.woot.com/shirt.woot.com/sellout.woot.com blackout. Could it be the first time in the history of Woot-dom?

sandtrap

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sandtrap
sandtrap wrote:I am a labrat!!!

2004 California Trousseau Dessert Wine

I will be opening soon to share with the fine folks I work with (the willing at least).

First thoughts

It is after 12:00 p.m. here. No better time to open the Trousseau than right now. Also I don't get my paycheck unless I give our controller a taste before she leaves in an hour.

This is a very smooth wine. It is very fruity. I taste some red raspberry. I like this very much. Maybe I should have been drinking ports long before now.

I will check back in later.

namyisun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages namyisun

what's the possibility of getting more of this offering? i apparently made it back into town yesterday after this sold out.

~namyisun

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
namyisun wrote:what's the possibility of getting more of this offering? i apparently made it back into town yesterday after this sold out.

~namyisun

Somewhere between "snowball's chance in hell" and none.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

joelsisk

quality posts: 8 Private Messages joelsisk
Loweeel wrote:Somewhere between "snowball's chance in hell" and none.

I guess even less than that...

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
namyisun wrote:what's the possibility of getting more of this offering? i apparently made it back into town yesterday after this sold out.

~namyisun

Three chances: fat, slim, and none.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

namyisun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages namyisun

hey -- a girl can dream, can't she?

besides, stranger things have happened here...

~namyisun

sandtrap

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sandtrap
sandtrap wrote:I am a labrat!!!

2004 California Trousseau Dessert Wine

I will be opening soon to share with the fine folks I work with (the willing at least).

sandtrap wrote:First thoughts

It is after 12:00 p.m. here. No better time to open the Trousseau than right now. Also I don't get my paycheck unless I give our controller a taste before she leaves in an hour.

This is a very smooth wine. It is very fruity. I taste some red raspberry. I like this very much. Maybe I should have been drinking ports long before now.

I will check back in later.

The verdict is in from the work crowd.

"I love it can I buy some please"

"Okay, but the aftertaste is a little bitter"

"I want to take this hiking"

"tasty"

"very good"

So overall it was well received here. Most of us are first time port drinkers. Now I will take it home for round 2.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
bhodilee wrote:odoriferous voids, all of you, odoriferous voids. I literally couldn't even check this until today. I jump on, gone. Whatever, they'll be something else awesome and I'll buy it all, or at least 3.

Interesting woot filter, this one. The dictionary indicates that the word odoriferous, in its meaning of fragrant, is usually used in a positive sense. But I enjoyed the fact that when used in its sense of morally offensive, the example given is "odoriferous legislation."

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg

JOATMON wrote:Three chances: fat, slim, and none.

This belongs on the joke page, under the EVER WONDER heading;
Why do fat chance and slim chance mean the same thing?
Also, why do wise man and wise guy have opposite meanings?

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

sandtrap wrote:

"I want to take this hiking"

That could be a woot filter.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

ddeuddeg

txmusicman49 and cjsiege, you have PMs.

thrawn1020

quality posts: 23 Private Messages thrawn1020
ddeuddeg wrote:This belongs on the joke page, under the EVER WONDER heading;
Why do fat chance and slim chance mean the same thing?
Also, why do wise man and wise guy have opposite meanings?

Ah, that makes it on my sig. Kind of a good little chuckle.

Not too many to count, but dang. This place has a way of building a cellar for you.

curtwaugh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages curtwaugh

I am honored beyond words to have become a LABRAT for Ken's port. My friend, Anthony, and I did a quick video of our tasting notes. In short, we loved the wonderful craft character of the 2004 California Sousao Dessert Wine. We were slightly surprised by the lingering bite, or bitterness at the end. But it in no way turned us off from the wine. We LOVE wine.woot!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuy0bFwBFf0

http://blog.mlive.com/fooddude

JOATMON

curtwaugh wrote:I am honored beyond words to have become a LABRAT for Ken's port. My friend, Anthony, and I did a quick video of our tasting notes. In short, we loved the wonderful craft character of the 2004 California Sousao Dessert Wine. We were slightly surprised by the lingering bite, or bitterness at the end. But it in no way turned us off from the wine. We LOVE wine.woot!

Now that's gotta be a first. Try packing that!

(as of 2011-03-02)

thatguy314

quality posts: 7 Private Messages thatguy314
cheron98 wrote:See, I don't see how that compares, since at midnight Christmas eve, I'm fer damn sure gonna be checking and wooting But hey, you'll get 8 days of presents and we only get one. So to you!

I want to settle this myth once and for all. 99% of all chaunkah presents suck. they're usually like $10 or less. it's like 8 days of socks. one time it was so cheap that each sock of a pair counted as one day's present.

theresa1013

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theresa1013

Ok, just got home from work. I put the dessert wine in the fridge, and am heading off to the gym. When I get back, I'll be having leftover spaghetti for dinner. I"ll do a quick initial tasting before dinner, and then again after dinner. I have some Ghiradelli chocolate for dessert.

Any recommendations on glasses for port? I have a Target Riedel glass that is the large red wine glass. I also have a smaller glass that I normally use for whites, as well as champagne flutes, and various regular drinking glasses.

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
thatguy314 wrote:I want to settle this myth once and for all. 99% of all chaunkah presents suck. they're usually like $10 or less. it's like 8 days of socks. one time it was so cheap that each sock of a pair counted as one day's present.

my friend got an iphone on the first day, a surfboard on the second day, I forget the other days (but rest assure they were nice) and on the final day got a SLR camera.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
clayfu wrote:my friend got an iphone on the first day, a surfboard on the second day, I forget the other days (but rest assure they were nice) and on the final day got a SLR camera.

I rest my case.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

theresa1013

Ok, labrat reporting for duty. I had the California dessert wine.

Bottle has been in the fridge for about 40 mins. I’m drinking out of a Riedel red wine glass. Color is dark, almost purple. Very strong alcohol on the nose. Not surprising given the ABV here. Initial taste is sweet, but not overly so. The ‘texture’ is good, this is not overly thick like some dessert wines. On first sip I get some sweetness and fruitiness, followed by spices and definite hint of raisin.

This stuff is really really good. I've almost finished my first pouring as I sit here writing this. I"ll have another small glass after dinner and try to share some more impressions.

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05
curtwaugh wrote:I am honored beyond words to have become a LABRAT for Ken's port. My friend, Anthony, and I did a quick video of our tasting notes. In short, we loved the wonderful craft character of the 2004 California Sousao Dessert Wine. We were slightly surprised by the lingering bite, or bitterness at the end. But it in no way turned us off from the wine. We LOVE wine.woot!

Okay.. the kids in the background audio are the best part of the entire thing... seriously go listen to them.

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

curtwaugh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages curtwaugh
spdrcr05 wrote:Okay.. the kids in the background audio are the best part of the entire thing... seriously go listen to them.

I only just now really listened closely to the video. You're absolutely right. When one of the children screams out "NO, VIVIAAAAAANNN!!!!" (4:32) I about wet myself. There's no better way to wind down a long day at work than a 3-hour dinner and some great wine.

Followed by the children screaming at each other. Ye-ha.

We promise to make a better, more professional video if we ever get labratted again. We had a blast doing this one.

theresa1013

theresa1013 wrote:Ok, labrat reporting for duty. I had the California dessert wine.

Bottle has been in the fridge for about 40 mins. I’m drinking out of a Riedel red wine glass. Color is dark, almost purple. Very strong alcohol on the nose. Not surprising given the ABV here. Initial taste is sweet, but not overly so. The ‘texture’ is good, this is not overly thick like some dessert wines. On first sip I get some sweetness and fruitiness, followed by spices and definite hint of raisin.

This stuff is really really good. I've almost finished my first pouring as I sit here writing this. I"ll have another small glass after dinner and try to share some more impressions.

Okay, finished dinner, and am now going for round 2:

The port is a bit colder now, which adds a bit more of a bite at the end. Again, this is probably the high ABV. I"m having it with chocolate, which is good, but honestly this wine is great all by itself. I can definitely taste and smell some dark berry flavors.

I have to say what really impressed me about this is its complexity. I’ve had sweet reds before that seemed thin, without much substance. This one has much more structure and depth.

This is definitely the kind of thing that will warm you on a cold winter night. Thanks again to WD and Kent for the opportunity!

theresa1013

theresa1013 wrote:Okay, finished dinner, and am now going for round 2:

The port is a bit colder now, which adds a bit more of a bite at the end. Again, this is probably the high ABV. I"m having it with chocolate, which is good, but honestly this wine is great all by itself. I can definitely taste and smell some dark berry flavors.

I have to say what really impressed me about this is its complexity. I’ve had sweet reds before that seemed thin, without much substance. This one has much more structure and depth.

This is definitely the kind of thing that will warm you on a cold winter night. Thanks again to WD and Kent for the opportunity!

One additional thing Ijust noted that I thought was interesting: the chocolate actually appears to reduce the sweetness of the wine. I've never experienced this before, but the chocolate with the port actually makes the port seem less sweet. Pretty cool!

ddeuddeg

thrawn1020 wrote:Ah, that makes it on my sig. Kind of a good little chuckle.

I am honored. Never expected to get quoted in a signature on this venerable blog.

ddeuddeg

theresa1013 wrote:One additional thing Ijust noted that I thought was interesting: the chocolate actually appears to reduce the sweetness of the wine. I've never experienced this before, but the chocolate with the port actually makes the port seem less sweet. Pretty cool!

I'm looking forward to trying out some of these with the Chocolate Oblivion Truffle Torte that I haven't made in too long. This seems like as good an excuse as any.

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm

Brilliant !

WD

JOATMON

ddeuddeg wrote:I am honored. Never expected to get quoted in a signature on this venerable blog.

Hey! You could thank the primary source, too.

Side story, friend of mine once was startled to see a sig line of hers coming towards her on a T-shirt. She never knew somebody had taken it and put it on t-shirts.

(as of 2011-03-02)

thrawn1020

quality posts: 23 Private Messages thrawn1020
JOATMON wrote:Hey! You could thank the primary source, too.

Side story, friend of mine once was startled to see a sig line of hers coming towards her on a T-shirt. She never knew somebody had taken it and put it on t-shirts.

Who's the primary source? I'd put them in there too.

Not too many to count, but dang. This place has a way of building a cellar for you.

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

Nice job, Curt and Anthony!!! (And kids. Talk abut "real life"!) I'm glad to hear that the Sousao is tasty. It's the main driver for the set for me!

J3buswrx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages J3buswrx

I hate to say this, and I hope I am not jinxing myself by doing so... but I think I'm a rat! Picked up my wife from grad school at around 4:30 then went to her parents house... just got back at around 10:30 and found a fedex slip on the door! Neither my wife nor I are expecting anything and it requires an adult signature! Picking it up tomorrow morning, I will have a review up tomorrow!

Owner of things.

ddeuddeg

thrawn1020 wrote:Who's the primary source? I'd put them in there too.

I'd be happy to thank the primary source, but those two questions have been around for many years, and it's not likely I ever knew who coined them in the first place.

EDIT: As I think about it, though, I'd have to give JOATMON credit for getting that first one out of my sub-conscious.

crisangel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crisangel

I want to cry.

I've been chomping at the bit for port on w.w for awhile, but I got laid off last week after we took major losses due to the hurricane and the financial crisis, and I vowed not to even look at any of the woot sites, but here I am, and I missed my port, and I want to cry...

oppsie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages oppsie

you're near the D? You should hang out with us.

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 234 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
synchrodan wrote:Thanks for the review! I can hardly wait for it to arrive. Quick follow-up question.

You seem to indicate that the various bottles all have different aging potentials. Could you go through all six and give you opinion on what a good aging window would be for each? I got 2 sets and I planned to drink one now and forget about the other for at least 5 years, but I might revise that plan depending on your response.

Also, I asked earlier (and someone else did too) what ways of storing port are adequate. Same as regular wine? Or is precise temperature control and being placed on its side less important?

Keeping the cork moist is important for all wines. For any extended aging, cool temps with as little fluctuation as possible is good.

I think the Tempranillo will benefit from cellaring (depending, of course, on your personal tastes). The Tinta Cao seems as if it might gain character with aging. I don't know that I would hang onto the others for too long, especially the Souzao. If you like the way a wine tastes now and don't think it "needs" cellaring to be enjoyed, drink it sooner than later. While a lot of good wines can be aged, most don't need to be aged, and whether they improve with aging is very subjective. I wouldn't encourage people to cellar a lot of wine unless they have acquired a taste for aged wines.

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

SonomaBouliste wrote: I wouldn't encourage people to cellar a lot of wine unless they have acquired a taste for aged wines.

When you say, "Cellaring," how long are you talking about? At what point does short-term storage become Cellaring?

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

J3buswrx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages J3buswrx

So just got back from running my errands... which included picking up my rat-sauce (Esoterica 2004 Tinta Cão Dessert Wine). Get home and the wife is gone. So I will be trying a glass now, and again with dinner and the wife.
Opened bottle at approximately 51 degrees (room temp).
First impressions, very subtle smell upon opening, almost non-existent, but it is there with a slightly sweet and slightly raisin scent. Poured into a small 4oz Spaten tasting glass I have from a beer festival (seemed like the best idea at the time...) and it is very dark with a very Port-like red hue on the edges. After breathing (both it and I) the raisin comes through and is just wonderful.
I am not a very experienced wine nor port drinker, but this is wonderful. Not too complex, but sweet, hint of raisin, maybe cherry, and a nice warmth from the finish. Finish leaves a sweetness and a desire for more...
Going to try with a truffle... Mmmm tasty! Subtle chocolate flavor enhanced the cherry I tasted earlier. Fades quickly with the truffle, leaving just a chocolate flavor. I would drink myself silly with this... but I have to wait till the wife gets home! Too bad I have to go to work shortly... must tell our wine steward about this! I might try this with a gouda or manchego that has been aged... might offer a nice balance, might be awful. Only one way to find out! I'll let you know how it goes later and what the wife thinks of it!

THANKS WD! Made my weekend! Too bad I have to work...

Owner of things.

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 234 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
Corrado wrote:When you say, "Cellaring," how long are you talking about? At what point does short-term storage become Cellaring?

There's always one troublemaker in every crowd, isn't there? I don't know - more than a year or two? More than 48 hours?