synchrodan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages synchrodan
labROUS wrote:LabROUS report Esoterica Port Medley

Since these are already sold out, I guess I can't be accused of shilling for my friend Kent or for wine.w00t. This has been a great opportunity to compare and contrast – I'll focus on that, since nobody will be making purchase decisions based on general style. Having said that, these wines do share a lot in style: similar extraction, alcohol and residual sugar levels. I'd guess the alcohol is un-aged, neutral spirits rather than oak aged brandy, thus allowing the nuances in grape character to fully show themselves.

Tempranillo (aka Tinta Roriz): Good aromatic intensity, with brown sugar, pepper, orange peel, clove and cinnamon. This wine has incredible viscosity with an almost syrupy texture, but is not overly sweet. Flavors include walnut “skin” and bitter chocolate. This is the most tannic of the lot and will probably age longest if anyone is so inclined. More enjoyable now with cheese than by itself.

Trousseau: Floral and tropical fruit aromas, along with hints of tobacco leaf and toffee. Medium body, not as deep as some of the others. I wouldn't be inclined to cellar this one – it's very enjoyable right now, even for sipping by itself.

Touriga: Very spicy, with plum and a bit of citrus peel. It seems little bit higher in acid, making it a little leaner in body. Very pretty aromas and flavors. It does have some structure and could be cellared, but not as long as the Tempranillo.

Souzao: The aromas are reminiscent of the KR Souzao that was part of a previous w00t offering, good intensity “grapy” fruit, with graham cracker/sweet biscuit and licorice notes. Good richness and viscosity, soft with a little more heat than some of the others. Drink soon, with or without dessert.

Tinta Cao: Somewhat subdued aromatically, but great body and viscosity. Smooth, structured middle, good acidity, mocha flavors and a long finish. I'm not a huge fan of the popular match of chocolate and wine, but this seems like a natural.

Blend: My favorite by a wide margin. Fruity and floral, with hints of licorice, tobacco, caramel, chocolate, spices... Good richness and balance, supple with a bit of tannin. This wine exemplifies the benefits of blending: complexity, balance, completeness. One can taste what the different components all contribute.

Thanks for the review! I can hardly wait for it to arrive. Quick follow-up question.

You seem to indicate that the various bottles all have different aging potentials. Could you go through all six and give you opinion on what a good aging window would be for each? I got 2 sets and I planned to drink one now and forget about the other for at least 5 years, but I might revise that plan depending on your response.

Also, I asked earlier (and someone else did too) what ways of storing port are adequate. Same as regular wine? Or is precise temperature control and being placed on its side less important?

ticomike

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ticomike

Even though Otolith has indicated he has a bottle for me, I would promise to be in for 3 if you would give Polyphemus a chance to fill in. It would bo so serendipidous to have an offering of half size bottles and another of double size bottles. (And fortuitous for myself)...I hope I spelled those correctly...

mudhen1960

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mudhen1960

"more alcoholic than a Tupperware party,"

Um, I guess whoever writes these descriptions has never been to the Tupperware parties I go to! The first thing they demonstrate is the Tupperware Wine Bottle Opener.... (Happy wine-drinkin' drunk people = more sales of those funky gadgets we don't buy sober).

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 35 Private Messages ddeuddeg
MarkDaSpark wrote:Maybe a non-wine item?

The Wine & Sparkling Tasting Wheels from UC Davis??? Please, please?

I'd like another shot at that nice varietal wall chart. I won't mess up a second time.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg

labROUS wrote: I'm not a huge fan of the popular match of chocolate and wine, but

But you haven't had my incredibly rich flourless chocolate cake with a glass of your Victory.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

conroo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages conroo

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! No time to access to this Web site at work. Missed this!

W:too many to count
WW:too many to count
SW:too many to count
SOW:too many to count

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
MarkDaSpark wrote:You snooze you lose .... I let your brother know when the button was bouncing, maybe he got an extra for you.

Of course he did.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

rwoody

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rwoody

Ok, I have little to no knowledge of wine. Why do you store wine for extended periods of time? whats the effect on the flavor?

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk

I think I speak for all the Jewish folks who missed out on this due to Yom Kippur.

pblbtpbbptbpbtpbptpbptb

(and I haven't read any of the rest of the comments, so don't know if anyone already mentioned something similar)

really, this is VERY sad. not to mention the 2 boxes of wine that were scheduled to arrive today...Chase and Woot Cellars. <sigh>

JOATMON

quality posts: 20 Private Messages JOATMON

Kent, WD:

Thank you for such a unique opportunity.

There was a thread at one point asking people what they would like to see on wine.woot. I asked for a uniquely Woot wine; one that was developed as an exclusive for wine.woot. This offering may not have been exactly that, but it felt close enough.

I feel honored to have been given the chance for something like this; something that I would never find on the shelf and probably not find even if I were friends with the winemaker.

Thank you.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

damightyanteater

quality posts: 12 Private Messages damightyanteater

Thank God there was not a new offering tonight.

My last 5 woots:
  • Robert Craig Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon x2
  • Woot Cellars Boss Monster Zinfandel Six - Pack
  • Armida Winery Poizin Trio
  • Olivestri Siloro olio nuovo
  • Wellington Vineyard Designate Cabernet Trio

thatguy314

quality posts: 7 Private Messages thatguy314
MarkDaSpark wrote:You snooze you lose .... I let your brother know when the button was bouncing, maybe he got an extra for you.

Snooze yes. But this wasn't what I'd call snoozing. It's the equivalent of putting the most attractive offer up at midnight on Xmas eve and then having it be sold out by noon xmas day. except instead of spending all morning getting presents, I spent the whole day sick and fasting. i suppose this is just one part of my pennance. and i suppose i'll just break fast with grumble cakes.

thatguy314

quality posts: 7 Private Messages thatguy314
Loweeel wrote:Of course he did.

how uncharacteristic of you

thanks!

ddeuddeg

thatguy314 wrote:Snooze yes. But this wasn't what I'd call snoozing. It's the equivalent of putting the most attractive offer up at midnight on Xmas eve and then having it be sold out by noon xmas day. except instead of spending all morning getting presents, I spent the whole day sick and fasting.

Quite an apt analogy, IMHO.

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

polarbear22 wrote:
And today is my wedding anniversary!!

For realz? Mine too (9 years)!

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

Loweeel

thatguy314 wrote:Snooze yes. But this wasn't what I'd call snoozing. It's the equivalent of putting the most attractive offer up at midnight on Xmas eve and then having it be sold out by noon xmas day. except instead of spending all morning getting presents, I spent the whole day sick and fasting. i suppose this is just one part of my pennance. and i suppose i'll just break fast with grumble cakes.

You mean like the XMas eve annual Bark of Cedar? Only XMas day we're sick and hungover from the Matzah ball. Damn, now I want a Kossar's Bialy.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

Loweeel

thatguy314 wrote:how uncharacteristic of you

thanks!

Why do you think I was asking you if you got one? I got 2, figured that worst case scenario, one would be a Chanukkah gift to mom. I'd much rather sell it to you than give it to the woman who opens Niepoort 2000 like it's Dow's LBV.

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 188 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
Corrado wrote:For realz? Mine too (9 years)!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Loweeel wrote:Why do you think I was asking you if you got one? I got 2, figured that worst case scenario, one would be a Chanukkah gift to mom. I'd much rather sell it to you than give it to the woman who opens Niepoort 2000 like it's Dow's LBV.

That's why I texted you and TMR. Wasn't sure if you had already gotten any, but wanted to make sure both of you got the chance.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

HitAnyKey42 wrote:A KR PS would be the death of me. I already got 4 of his '99 Leeds-Chavez Vineyard and 2 of his '01 Reserve Leeds-Chavez. I've tasted both, but haven't opened any of my own yet. Almost opened up one of the '99s last week but then realized I wasn't going to be able to decant/aerate it long enough. If I don't open one soon, then all 4 bottles will remain cellared for the next 3-6 years or so as they go through Kent's famous Dumb Phase.

If Kent stops back tomorrow, hopefully he can correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the dumb phase on these was much longer than ~5 years. I recall planning a 2025 reveal on the Petite Sirah vertical based on when they should safely be through their dumb phase. I had the 2000 maybe 8 mos ago and, to my still-growing palate, it was already showing muted characteristics from the initial vertical about a year before.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

corran24

quality posts: 2 Private Messages corran24
Loweeel wrote:ALL HAIL KENT!!!!

-- your #1 PSycho fan.

Ow. My wallet. Ow ow ow. Good thing I have a mom who loves port.

not that i'm complaining, but i don't believe i've done anything to deserve hailing =]

azmojoman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages azmojoman

Manos, the Hands of Fate i got no puerto

azmojoman

azmojoman wrote:Manos, the Hands of Fate i got no puerto

holy moly this was a kent r. wine?

now i am really p.o.'d i got no wine

azmojoman

Corrado wrote:If Kent stops back tomorrow, hopefully he can correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the dumb phase on these was much longer than ~5 years. I recall planning a 2025 reveal on the Petite Sirah vertical based on when they should safely be through their dumb phase. I had the 2000 maybe 8 mos ago and, to my still-growing palate, it was already showing muted characteristics from the initial vertical about a year before.

oh u lucky person.

i fi am alive in 2025 will milagro,

damightyanteater

quality posts: 12 Private Messages damightyanteater
Corrado wrote:If Kent stops back tomorrow, hopefully he can correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the dumb phase on these was much longer than ~5 years. I recall planning a 2025 reveal on the Petite Sirah vertical based on when they should safely be through their dumb phase. I had the 2000 maybe 8 mos ago and, to my still-growing palate, it was already showing muted characteristics from the initial vertical about a year before.

Since we hopefully get Kent's attention on the subject, when would it be prudent for me to drink the 02 petite syrah, the 04 esoterica petite verdot and the 04 esoterica sousau from the other offering? I still have them in my cellar by some miracle of will power.

If anyone else knows the answer, I'd appreciate it - thanks!

My last 5 woots:
  • Robert Craig Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon x2
  • Woot Cellars Boss Monster Zinfandel Six - Pack
  • Armida Winery Poizin Trio
  • Olivestri Siloro olio nuovo
  • Wellington Vineyard Designate Cabernet Trio

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
Corrado wrote:For realz? Mine too (9 years)!

27 years for me. Been married well over half my life. Kind of seems like the way life always was and should be.

Congratulations to you.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

odoriferous voids, all of you, odoriferous voids. I literally couldn't even check this until today. I jump on, gone. Whatever, they'll be something else awesome and I'll buy it all, or at least 3.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

cole103

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cole103
azmojoman wrote:Manos, the Hands of Fate i got no puerto

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
ddeuddeg wrote:But you haven't had my incredibly rich flourless chocolate cake with a glass of your Victory.

RECIPE!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cheron98

thatguy314 wrote:Snooze yes. But this wasn't what I'd call snoozing. It's the equivalent of putting the most attractive offer up at midnight on Xmas eve and then having it be sold out by noon xmas day. except instead of spending all morning getting presents, I spent the whole day sick and fasting. i suppose this is just one part of my pennance. and i suppose i'll just break fast with grumble cakes.

See, I don't see how that compares, since at midnight Christmas eve, I'm fer damn sure gonna be checking and wooting But hey, you'll get 8 days of presents and we only get one. So to you!

dungolf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dungolf

OK where is Fridays Woot?

ddeuddeg

dungolf wrote:OK where is Fridays Woot?

Probably on Woot.com, just like every other Friday.

ddeuddeg

cheron98 wrote:RECIPE!

It's called the Chocolate Oblivion Truffle Torte, from Rose Levy Beranbaum's cookbook The Cake Bible. I don't have it on my computer at school, and I left my laptop home today, but I'll put it on later. I don't know how the formatting will hold up, though. If you want to PM me an email address, I'll send you the entire recipe as a .pdf file, including the instructions for the chocolate rose leaves I use to encircle the cake to cover up the beat-up edges, as well as the brandied burgundy cherries I like to put on top when I serve it.

cheron98

ddeuddeg wrote:It's called the Chocolate Oblivion Truffle Torte, from Rose Levy Beranbaum's cookbook The Cake Bible. I don't have it on my computer at school, and I left my laptop home today, but I'll put it on later. I don't know how the formatting will hold up, though. If you want to PM me an email address, I'll send you the entire recipe as a .pdf file, including the instructions for the chocolate rose leaves I use to encircle the cake to cover up the beat-up edges, as well as the brandied burgundy cherries I like to put on top when I serve it.

Well then, you have a PM!

oppsie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages oppsie
joelsisk wrote:I think I speak for all the Jewish folks who missed out on this due to Yom Kippur.

pblbtpbbptbpbtpbptpbptb

(and I haven't read any of the rest of the comments, so don't know if anyone already mentioned something similar)

really, this is VERY sad. not to mention the 2 boxes of wine that were scheduled to arrive today...Chase and Woot Cellars. <sigh>

yep. didn't even see it til it was sold out. SOL.

theresa1013

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theresa1013
ddeuddeg wrote:It's called the Chocolate Oblivion Truffle Torte, from Rose Levy Beranbaum's cookbook The Cake Bible. I don't have it on my computer at school, and I left my laptop home today, but I'll put it on later. I don't know how the formatting will hold up, though. If you want to PM me an email address, I'll send you the entire recipe as a .pdf file, including the instructions for the chocolate rose leaves I use to encircle the cake to cover up the beat-up edges, as well as the brandied burgundy cherries I like to put on top when I serve it.

And a PM from me too!

cjsiege

quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege

Me three! Since I'm after t's "Me Too".

MarkDaSpark

bhodilee wrote:odoriferous voids, all of you, odoriferous voids. I literally couldn't even check this until today. I jump on, gone. Whatever, they'll be something else awesome and I'll buy it all, or at least 3.

Now see, if you were coming to Vegas for SoCal #4, we could discuss it .... since I got 3 sets

sandtrap

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sandtrap

I am a labrat!!!

2004 California Trousseau Dessert Wine

I will be opening soon to share with the fine folks I work with (the willing at least).

theresa1013

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theresa1013

I've been chosen! What absolute joy!

There came a knock at our office door, and since our staff assistant is out today, I answered and lo and behold, it was a fedex package for me! I says to myself, 'Self, we're not expecting anything today are we?' My hopes jump immediately, and I all but tear the box open, to find a beautiful bottle of the dessert wine blend, and a golden ticket! Winedavid, thank you so much!

This came at the perfect time. Last night after ordering the 6 pack, I went home with an undeniable craving to have these right away! And all morning I've been sitting in dread of a meeting that I have to go to later today which promises to be soul-crushing. But now, with this bottle, all the unpleasantness will just bounce off me, for I am the chosen one! (Actually, one of six, but who's counting!)

I am really looking forward to opening this tonight. Kent or labROUS, any pairing recommendations?