bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney
HitAnyKey42 wrote:And you didn't count what WD was gonna keep for himself.

wouldn't you love to see his cellar, it would probably bring a tear to my eye!

CT

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
jwhite6114 wrote:Your opinion is not unique, certainly, of the last KR offer -- but keep in mind those wines were not of "popular" varietals (well, I have heard you can find a PS fan here or there ). The Sousão and Petit Verdot were esoteric and to equate your dislike of those to these is akin to saying you don't like ginger ale so you won't try a cherry-coke.

I think a lot of people expect everything to taste like cabernet or zin, and for all cabernets and zins to taste the same.

I thought the esotericas were fascinating. Extremely different than anything else you might have, and definitely an experience.

I have issues with people that would say they were the "worst wines" ever. Maybe you didn't like them, and a lot of people didn't, but they were well made wines.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
ddeuddeg wrote:JOAT, on that same topic, bahwm and I will be at the SoCal #4 next month, with some 100% Seyval Blanc and Baco Noir. They're readily available in New York and Southern Ontario, but less so in your neck of the woods. A few of your neighbors will be in attendance, and might likely be driving. If you're interested, perhaps we could persuade one of them to transport them, in which case I'd be happy to bring a few extras, since I have to check a bag anyway to bring the ones for the tasting. Let me know, and we'll pick out a specific attendee to work on.

Oh, I'd love that!

One of each would be fine for my purposes, but I may need more to bribe the mule.

Let me know what I'll owe you.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

Cesare

quality posts: 1615 Private Messages Cesare

Questions for Kent:
About the grapes- Were these from your own vineyards or did you source them from somewhere. I can't imagine these varietals growing in too many places in CA.
And will you ever consider making a port style wine from your Petite Sirah? PS Port is yummy.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
bkarney wrote:wouldn't you love to see his cellar, it would probably bring a tear to my eye!

Hey WD, post us a link to your CT cellar....make us all cry!

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Question for WD: *ahem* So since it's sold out... do we get another offering tomorrow?

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

yumitori

quality posts: 22 Private Messages yumitori

<Sigh> Kent Rasmussen and WineDavid destroyed my carefully plotted out plan to hit the black square and a hundred bottles purchased at the same time. I only needed three more, and here came a one-time-only offering of six ports...

I couldn't say No, even though Wine.Woot is taking every cent of my disposable income so I could only go in for one.

EDIT: Well, that did push me into Black. I suppose I could count six half bottles as three full bottles, couldn't I?

Daystar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Daystar
cheron98 wrote:Question for WD: *ahem* So since it's sold out... do we get another offering tomorrow?

Pls say "No!" WD.

shh64

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shh64
andyduncan wrote:I think a lot of people expect everything to taste like cabernet or zin, and for all cabernets and zins to taste the same.

I thought the esotericas were fascinating. Extremely different than anything else you might have, and definitely an experience.

I have issues with people that would say they were the "worst wines" ever. Maybe you didn't like them, and a lot of people didn't, but they were well made wines.

I agree - I have enjoyed each because they are so different. I am all over the map with the wine I buy and drink, enjoying new and unusual varietals and styles. Unfortunately I hit the button this morning, backed out, thought about it, went to hit again and received the "Sold Out" sign. Oh well, just saved $145...

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
laxdad wrote:Long time lurker, first woot. Here is the plan after buying three sets:

As a woodworker, I will be making sliding lid, compartment boxes for two of these sets. I will let the design strike me after staring at the bottles a bit - am thinking a 5-and-1 arrangement with the blend in it's own cubby. I am then copying down all of Kent's comments from this thread and putting them in the box. These will be gifts for very special friends.

The wife and I will have a few friends over to polish off set #3!

Thanks Kent

How much to make a third one for me? PM me with a price

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

Loweeel

Cesare wrote:Questions for Kent:
About the grapes- Were these from your own vineyards or did you source them from somewhere. I can't imagine these varietals growing in too many places in CA.
And will you ever consider making a port style wine from your Petite Sirah? PS Port is yummy.

IIRC Kent said during his first offering that PS makes the best port of any single grape, because it has what you have to blend for in Portugal.

Heringer, Vincent Arroyo, Prager, and Bogle, among a few others, seem to agree.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

Loweeel

And Kent, while we have you here, can you tell us about the last 5-6 vintages of PS?

We've heard about the '99-'02 and '01 Reserve.

I've seen the '04 Esoterica PS floating around through winesearcher, though oddly never an '03. How were the '05-'07 vintages looking for your PS and how is '08 looking?

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

Halsey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Halsey

RichC7

I can't address the port, but steer clear of the Westinghouse. I had 2 of them (32") go bad on me and have never encountered WORSE customer service. Just an FYI

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
cheron98 wrote:Question for WD: *ahem* So since it's sold out... do we get another offering tomorrow?

Maybe a non-wine item?

The Wine & Sparkling Tasting Wheels from UC Davis??? Please, please?

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

Rockhawks1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Rockhawks1

Is there anything worse than hitting the "I want one!" button and realizing you are not logged in to your account. Then getting interrupted during your log in process to go to a meeting. Then finishing the meeting, skipping a free lunch to rush back to click that "I want one!" button only to find it reading "sold out!" So disappointing...

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
JOATMON wrote:This has probably already been beaten to death, but I read Kent's post as he was keeping back 30 boxes of the six-pack, not 30 cases of each type.

Problem is that there are barely 30 cases of any of these

CT | | | | | |

jwhite6114

yumitori wrote:<Sigh> Kent Rasmussen and WineDavid destroyed my carefully plotted out plan to hit the black square and a hundred bottles purchased at the same time. I only needed three more, and here came a one-time-only offering of six ports...

I couldn't say No, even though Wine.Woot is taking every cent of my disposable income so I could only go in for one.

EDIT: Well, that did push me into Black. I suppose I could count six half bottles as three full bottles, couldn't I?

Sounds reasonable to me!

Congrats on the dual milestone. Next milestone: Chapter 13.

CT | | | | | |

dherbie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages dherbie

I am about to cry right now. I haven't posted in a while and I love port but was holding off because I can't be a rat (not even sure if that was possible thinking back). Then I was pulled in to a meeting with some Steve Levitt guy which took a while... and now... I think I am going to cry...

An economist is someone who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn't happen today - Lawrence J. Peter
For those of you who laughed at the above quote: www.wine-economics.org

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
laxdad wrote:Long time lurker, first woot. Here is the plan after buying three sets:

As a woodworker, I will be making sliding lid, compartment boxes for two of these sets. I will let the design strike me after staring at the bottles a bit - am thinking a 5-and-1 arrangement with the blend in it's own cubby. I am then copying down all of Kent's comments from this thread and putting them in the box. These will be gifts for very special friends.

The wife and I will have a few friends over to polish off set #3!

Thanks Kent

I too might be interested.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

chad1323ross

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chad1323ross

Hmmmmm.... how many of these can you make in a reasonable amount of time? Sounds like a great side deal...

222 bottles and counting.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
JOATMON wrote:Oh, I'd love that!

One of each would be fine for my purposes, but I may need more to bribe the mule.

Let me know what I'll owe you.

I'll leave the selection and bribing to you, but to help you, here is the latest list of those who will be attending. You know at least half of them, I believe. There are a few other cool climate varietals I should be able to get my hands on, as well, mostly whites. I'll need to be careful not to go overweight on the luggage, though. The good news is that these all tend to be fairly inexpensive. In particular, the Seyval Blanc I have in mind from Honeymoon Trail Winery is probably under $10. IMHO, a decent QPR for a nice dry white.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

NBKDC68

quality posts: 1 Private Messages NBKDC68

Damn, too late to the show again...I lost my spaghetti. =( hoo hoo....

supan0va

quality posts: 1 Private Messages supan0va

My woot cellars Sangiovese came today. Can't wait........

How about another offering tomorrow? ;]

Then again, it's better for my bank account if I had to wait until Monday morning..

11/16/2007 Random scaffolding (Roomba!)

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
chad1323ross wrote:Hmmmmm.... how many of these can you make in a reasonable amount of time? Sounds like a great side deal...

People, you mustn't rush a serious woodworker. We have principles.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

synchrodan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages synchrodan
chad1323ross wrote:Hmmmmm.... how many of these can you make in a reasonable amount of time? Sounds like a great side deal...

Um.. Or main deal for the rest of the week since this one is finished anyway! Give WineDavid a quantity and price and see if he'll go for it!

mfelske

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mfelske

Sold out... I hate to say it, but "Good!". Every time I come back (hoping for maybe something new on the Wellington Mystery Wine) I get a little closer to pressing that yellow button. This is very tempting for several reasons (won't find it anywhere else, I love port, quite the bargain, etc) but it's far from something I need (Yes, of course I needed Toothstejnn and Little Vineyards and the rest). Maybe if I had more wino friends to drink this with.

laxdad

quality posts: 2 Private Messages laxdad

WRT the boxes, thanks for the inquiries but you folks are killing me. As a first-timer to the group and brand spanking new poster I certainly didn't want my note to come across as "phishing".

I plan on making two and only two boxes, well, maybe three if we don't drink the third set right away. When the boxes are finished and "full", I promise to come back and post a link to a photo or two!

dnasquesttoblack3000

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dnasquesttoblack3000
synchrodan wrote:Um.. Or main deal for the rest of the week since this one is finished anyway! Give WineDavid a quantity and price and see if he'll go for it!

maybe a pairing with corrado's wine cubes?

(i'd have linked to it but

a. i have no idea how to find the picture of them and
b. i have no idea how to link to them.

you'd probably expect better from a code monkey like me.
)

the quest:

1. humbug 2. GV's book 3. Wellington 3+mystery (X2) 4. woot norse thingy with funny bottle (X2) 5. va made me buy gundlach, 6. your mumm 7. willy nilly pinots 8. emergency woot wine 9. fake gunbun, 10. ty field 11. tryasipo'dis

Alaska1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Alaska1

coynedj said----

"We had the touriga (I think) and the blend at the Minnesota gathering. We had them at the very end (as would be appropriate for a dessert wine) so I don't think anyone took notes, but they were very good and very popular. And the blend was great for the century club people. The description of not being the syrupy sort of dessert wine is accurate. I'll edit this if I remember anything more."

Alaska1---
I was taking notes but by that time, I don't think any one was, after 14 bottles. Thanks again for hosting!

Little Vineyards Sonoma Valley Trio, Chateau Souverain Zinfandel Single-Vineyard Sampler Trio,Armida Winery Poizin Trio,Chase Family,Pack Cellars - Two Pack, Wellington Zinfandel Vertical Four Pack, InZinarator 4 pack, Peter Wellington 2006 Victory Reserve - 2 Pack, Saxon Brown 2008 Sonoma Valley Zinfandel - 3 Pack, Woodenhead Vintners 2006 Martinelli Road Old Vine RRV Zinfandel - 2 Pack

MaxHedrm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MaxHedrm

That went fast! :^) Good thing, otherwise I would have been sorely tempted.

w.w: Robert Craig 2005 Mt.Veeder • Bonny Doon Angel Paille • Thanksgiving Coffee • Shadow Canyon Late Harvest Pinot Blanc • Vino Noceto • JanKris • Substance • SakéOne Trio • InZINerator • Polyphemus • Robert Craig 2004 Mt.Veeder • Mumm Brut Prestige & Pinot Noir • SakéOne Quartet
s.w: Good Morning Starshine • Jungle Within • Get on the Mike • Fact vs. Fiction • How We Roll • Life Renewed • Thrive • 1988 • Maple Leaf • Shades of Winter
w: too dang many

MarkDaSpark

dnasquesttoblack3000 wrote:maybe a pairing with corrado's wine cubes?

(i'd have linked to it but

a. i have no idea how to find the picture of them and
b. i have no idea how to link to them.

you'd probably expect better from a code monkey like me.
)

Wonderful thing, Wine.Woot Google Search at the top:

Corrado's Thread on Building the Wine Cube

Click on the image to Admire Corrado's finished wine cube!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

WF - PM for ya

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

thatguy314

quality posts: 7 Private Messages thatguy314

I would like to lodge an objection!

I"ve been waiting for this for a while and I take Yom Kippur off and it's sold out! WD please bring us some more!!!

MarkDaSpark

thatguy314 wrote:I would like to lodge an objection!

I"ve been waiting for this for a while and I take Yom Kippur off and it's sold out! WD please bring us some more!!!

You snooze you lose .... I let your brother know when the button was bouncing, maybe he got an extra for you.

jwhite6114

thatguy314 wrote:I would like to lodge an objection!

I am sure there is an exception, somewhere, that says you are still allowed to check woot on Yom Kippur!

(if not, there should be!)

CT | | | | | |

Shua586

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Shua586

Awww...I woulda gone for this - it's my bday too. Sure you can't sell just one more?

labROUS

quality posts: 7 Private Messages labROUS

LabROUS report Esoterica Port Medley

Since these are already sold out, I guess I can't be accused of shilling for my friend Kent or for wine.w00t. This has been a great opportunity to compare and contrast – I'll focus on that, since nobody will be making purchase decisions based on general style. Having said that, these wines do share a lot in style: similar extraction, alcohol and residual sugar levels. I'd guess the alcohol is un-aged, neutral spirits rather than oak aged brandy, thus allowing the nuances in grape character to fully show themselves.

Tempranillo (aka Tinta Roriz): Good aromatic intensity, with brown sugar, pepper, orange peel, clove and cinnamon. This wine has incredible viscosity with an almost syrupy texture, but is not overly sweet. Flavors include walnut “skin” and bitter chocolate. This is the most tannic of the lot and will probably age longest if anyone is so inclined. More enjoyable now with cheese than by itself.

Trousseau: Floral and tropical fruit aromas, along with hints of tobacco leaf and toffee. Medium body, not as deep as some of the others. I wouldn't be inclined to cellar this one – it's very enjoyable right now, even for sipping by itself.

Touriga: Very spicy, with plum and a bit of citrus peel. It seems little bit higher in acid, making it a little leaner in body. Very pretty aromas and flavors. It does have some structure and could be cellared, but not as long as the Tempranillo.

Souzao: The aromas are reminiscent of the KR Souzao that was part of a previous w00t offering, good intensity “grapy” fruit, with graham cracker/sweet biscuit and licorice notes. Good richness and viscosity, soft with a little more heat than some of the others. Drink soon, with or without dessert.

Tinta Cao: Somewhat subdued aromatically, but great body and viscosity. Smooth, structured middle, good acidity, mocha flavors and a long finish. I'm not a huge fan of the popular match of chocolate and wine, but this seems like a natural.

Blend: My favorite by a wide margin. Fruity and floral, with hints of licorice, tobacco, caramel, chocolate, spices... Good richness and balance, supple with a bit of tannin. This wine exemplifies the benefits of blending: complexity, balance, completeness. One can taste what the different components all contribute.

smartheart

quality posts: 94 Private Messages smartheart

DARN

1. I had been looking forward lately to a new offering from KR whose wines I find great.

2. I had been looking forward for some time to a port offering on WW.

3. My favorite WW offerings are sampler-types which by their nature feature variety.

SO I TRULY BLEW IT IN DELAYING ORDERING AND GETTING SHUT OUT.

Live and learn--strike while the wine.woot iron is hot or face the consequences (which apparently include composing a single sentence which manages to contain three trite expressions.)

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

hankston

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hankston
smartheart wrote:
SO I TRULY BLEW IT IN DELAYING ORDERING AND GETTING SHUT OUT.

Live and learn--strike while the wine.woot iron is hot or face the consequences (which apparently include composing a single sentence which manages to contain three trite expressions.)

It's a terrible lesson to learn the hard way.

I keep refreshing the front page, hoping there's a hidden cache released, only to curse and swear at the monitor when there's STILL no more KR.

sbrady22

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sbrady22

Freakin' Stupid Alabama Laws. I use Ports for making desserts and we can't get these shipped here. I have to drive to Georgia to even buy Port wines. Someone needs to remind the pencil neck idiots in the state that they are supposed to work for the people, not for their own profits. I have sent mucho letters through "Free the Grapes" to no avail.