trwagner

quality posts: 4 Private Messages trwagner

If I order any more wine woots I'm a bit afraid the UPS guy is going to send AA after us, but let's throw caution to the wind.... in for 2!

curkendall

quality posts: 1 Private Messages curkendall

I'm generally not a big fan of port, but this is too interesting to pass up.
Any ideas for something subtle to pair with these for a tasting?

dudemanchu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dudemanchu

First Post - This is exactly what makes wine.woot so special. Thank you WD and KR for this most excellent opportunity.

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
jwhite6114 wrote:So there we have it ... we'll go with $20.

How good is this deal?

Personally after tasting 4 out of 6 of these already, and Kent's statement of at least $20....you really should adjust that to be $25, as they are easily worth that much. I know if/when I place an order (which is leaning more and more towards 2, even though I'm in no financial position to be able to do so) my CT valuation for these will be at least $25, if not more. The two we had at the tasting at my place (Sousao and Tinta Cao) were simply fabulous. I think I liked them better than the ones we had at NoVA#6, but then again we had those after a run of 33+ wines.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

Shacho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Shacho

I officially can't afford wine.woot anymore.

I can't believe I just bought these.

Labrat would make up for that (if not too late).

ArcheDiver

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ArcheDiver

Went to bed... woke up this morning, read the comments from overnight, lost all will power and went in for one. It was the limited availability that put me over the edge. I just can't pass up the chance for a unique port.

minnesotamoon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages minnesotamoon

This one was a no brainer, had to go in. Thanks David & Kent!

"Wine drinkers make grape lovers"

smagee

quality posts: 8 Private Messages smagee

Such is the power of the Kent Rasmussen; I'm not even a huge fan of port, yet here I am, again clicking that button. And here I was hoping WW would save me some money by posting more candy...

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
polarbear22 wrote:Had to order. Did fast, or after I read Kent's comments I would have maxed out.

And today is my wedding anniversary!! But I ordered so fast that I forgot my woot birthday code.

And you know October has just started, so WD will give you more chances to use that code .....

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

CpprCr8

quality posts: 5 Private Messages CpprCr8
Shacho wrote:QUick question...

how does gifting work?

Can I order 3 for me and then gift one to my mom?

Or, would I have to do two for me and then gift one to my mom? (she likes port. i like port.)

Up to 3 for you AND up to 3 for giftee. Yes, you can get very creative with "gifting" options! As long as they are not going to the EXACT same person at the EXACT same address, it qualifies as a "gift".

Not that I'm saying anything...

cjsiege & CpprCr8: A girl & a car, living the w.w dream!

kszanyi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kszanyi

No thanks. The last Esoterica wines (Woot, October 2007) were, by far, the worst wines I ever purchased on Woot, or elsewhere for that matter. The posts from others on Cellar Tracker are in agreement. In fact, the wines were so bad I emailed the winemaker, Mr. Rasmussen, to see if I had received spoiled bottles. His response was no, and that his "Esoterica" wines are just "different." Perhaps; but, IMO, different is not good in this case...

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

So what temperature is port supposed to be when you drink it? cold, chilled or warm? Also, how do you store port? Resolve is weakening after reading kent's post. husband is going to kill me.

mscalisi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mscalisi

Damn you!

I'm in for three, then I'm never visiting this stupid site again.

/Empty threat

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Personally after tasting 4 out of 6 of these already, and Kent's statement of at least $20....you really should adjust that to be $25, as they are easily worth that much. I know if/when I place an order (which is leaning more and more towards 2, even though I'm in no financial position to be able to do so) my CT valuation for these will be at least $25, if not more. The two we had at the tasting at my place (Sousao and Tinta Cao) were simply fabulous. I think I liked them better than the ones we had at NoVA#6, but then again we had those after a run of 33+ wines.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
Daystar wrote:Kent, I see on your website you have Silk Organza Gift Bags. If I give you a cc payment over the phone or paypal could you include some in w/ my shipment?

It's coming from WD not from Kent, so I doubt they could do it.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

CAGrl

Oh no. It's bouncing and I haven't made up my mind yet!

kblais

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kblais

In for two. Just in time as the bounce is on...

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan

In for one as a gift for my sister. And I think I made it bounce! And if not I'm taking credit for it because how are you all going to prove it :-)

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

risingstarlp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages risingstarlp
CAGrl wrote:Oh no. It's bouncing and I haven't made up my mind yet!

Go in for 3, I did (although 1 is for a friend). You might live your whole life in regret if you don't.

CAGrl

risingstarlp wrote:Go in for 3, I did (although 1 is for a friend). You might live your whole life in regret if you don't.

Ahhhhh! This site is so addicting and so not good for the credit card. So torn.

vquasarv

quality posts: 4 Private Messages vquasarv

Sadly I don't have the taste for port (or its constituent grapes).... dying for a Kent Petite Sirah though

"Cause once you're addicted to wine and champagne,It's gonna drive you insane,
Because the world's not so tame." -The Kinks

Daystar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Daystar

Wow - bouncing already

tkastorff

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tkastorff

First sucker: MaskedMarvel
Speed to first woot: 0m 4.627s

Last wooter to woot: tkastorff

In for 2 sets of t his, the ladies love it .... saw it bouncing, hoped I would be the one to kill the sale ... looking forward to tasting these

w.w bottles| 308 L: Spelletich Lodi Sangiovese

"Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad wine"

Daystar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Daystar
MarkDaSpark wrote:It's coming from WD not from Kent, so I doubt they could do it.

Your right, didnt even think about that, duh!

LurkerDan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages LurkerDan

stupid bouncing button. I can't afford anything right now, but I had to buy.

mnwrasslin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mnwrasslin

In for 2. We had these at the MN gathering and they were terrific. Of course this is after I promised my wife no more wine until we get the wine club wines... well I will just have to placate her with the ports on cold nights.

10 random carp

heffer

quality posts: 3 Private Messages heffer

If I were to do a tasting of these together with friends and family, how should I arrange the evening to show off how the varietals are reflected in the blend? As in, what order should I taste them, should I go back for a sip of the blend after every varietals is sampled?

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Personally after tasting 4 out of 6 of these already, and Kent's statement of at least $20....you really should adjust that to be $25, as they are easily worth that much. I know if/when I place an order (which is leaning more and more towards 2, even though I'm in no financial position to be able to do so) my CT valuation for these will be at least $25, if not more. The two we had at the tasting at my place (Sousao and Tinta Cao) were simply fabulous. I think I liked them better than the ones we had at NoVA#6, but then again we had those after a run of 33+ wines.

Certainly value them at your own price. And you can copy the spreadsheet to modify any of the values yourself (including shipping). In the interest of objectivity and consistency, though, I am going to leave them at $20 in this offer's sheet.

CT | | | | | |

damightyanteater

quality posts: 12 Private Messages damightyanteater

Ok, this was too cool to resist. How long can I cellar these?

My last 5 woots:
  • Robert Craig Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon x2
  • Woot Cellars Boss Monster Zinfandel Six - Pack
  • Armida Winery Poizin Trio
  • Olivestri Siloro olio nuovo
  • Wellington Vineyard Designate Cabernet Trio

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
JOATMON wrote:Question for Kent: are the varetals all 100%?

This could be a great way to knock off five 100% entries in the century club application.

JOAT, on that same topic, bahwm and I will be at the SoCal #4 next month, with some 100% Seyval Blanc and Baco Noir. They're readily available in New York and Southern Ontario, but less so in your neck of the woods. A few of your neighbors will be in attendance, and might likely be driving. If you're interested, perhaps we could persuade one of them to transport them, in which case I'd be happy to bring a few extras, since I have to check a bag anyway to bring the ones for the tasting. Let me know, and we'll pick out a specific attendee to work on.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
kszanyi wrote:No thanks. The last Esoterica wines (Woot, October 2007) were, by far, the worst wines I ever purchased on Woot, or elsewhere for that matter. The posts from others on Cellar Tracker are in agreement. In fact, the wines were so bad I emailed the winemaker, Mr. Rasmussen, to see if I had received spoiled bottles. His response was no, and that his "Esoterica" wines are just "different." Perhaps; but, IMO, different is not good in this case...

Your opinion is not unique, certainly, of the last KR offer -- but keep in mind those wines were not of "popular" varietals (well, I have heard you can find a PS fan here or there ). The Sousão and Petit Verdot were esoteric and to equate your dislike of those to these is akin to saying you don't like ginger ale so you won't try a cherry-coke.

CT | | | | | |

Cesare

quality posts: 1642 Private Messages Cesare

Sold out!
Wooter to blame for sellout: Bicknell123
Sellout time: Thursday, October 09, 2008, 12:10:39 PM Central Time

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

jawlz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz

12 hours, 12 minutes, and sold out!

wings2004

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wings2004

bah, just got on and it wasn't bouncing, read a few reviews, decided to get it and it was bouncing, i click finish and its sold out i lose.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
MarkDaSpark wrote:

And you know October has just started, so WD will give you more chances to use that code .....

Posted thanks in the Pub. My wife really got a kick out of it. Next time, I will skip the card and just e-mail her a smiley.

And Riley applied the code for me. I may not order any more this month.

Who am I kidding? WD will do his usual and I will find something else that I can't pass up on. But I have 2 cases of wine club and other non-Woot wine on its way. (Actually, 2 more cases on top of that for others that have yet to pay me.) So cellar is getting full.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

silent7seven

quality posts: 12 Private Messages silent7seven

Looks like I might have been the sole Idaho wooter. Barely bought this one before it was gone.

---------------------------
And so we go, on with our lives
We know the truth, but prefer lies
Lies are simple, simple is bliss
Why go against tradition when we can
Admit defeat, live in decline

HitAnyKey42

vquasarv wrote:Sadly I don't have the taste for port (or its constituent grapes).... dying for a Kent Petite Sirah though

A KR PS would be the death of me. I already got 4 of his '99 Leeds-Chavez Vineyard and 2 of his '01 Reserve Leeds-Chavez. I've tasted both, but haven't opened any of my own yet. Almost opened up one of the '99s last week but then realized I wasn't going to be able to decant/aerate it long enough. If I don't open one soon, then all 4 bottles will remain cellared for the next 3-6 years or so as they go through Kent's famous Dumb Phase.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

synchrodan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages synchrodan
kszanyi wrote:No thanks. The last Esoterica wines (Woot, October 2007) were, by far, the worst wines I ever purchased on Woot, or elsewhere for that matter. The posts from others on Cellar Tracker are in agreement. In fact, the wines were so bad I emailed the winemaker, Mr. Rasmussen, to see if I had received spoiled bottles. His response was no, and that his "Esoterica" wines are just "different." Perhaps; but, IMO, different is not good in this case...

Yeah... For a $70 offering to sell out in 12 hours (in the worst economy since the Great Depression), this must be terrible, terrible stuff.

HitAnyKey42

theresa1013 wrote:Just doing some quick calculations based on Kent's statement that he kept about 30 cases:

There's a total of 3072 bottles of Esoterica (if you add up the bottle production for all 6). Subtract 31 cases (Kent's 30, plus the labrat bottles and those that were sent to the wine.woot tastings) and that leaves a total of 2700 bottles or 450 woots. This will most definitely go fast.

Very good calculation and good guess. There were only 430, so you were pretty close. What you probably didn't take into account were the fact that they would also have to keep enough aside for replacing bottles that break or otherwise during shipping. And you didn't count what WD was gonna keep for himself.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
theresa1013 wrote:Just doing some quick calculations based on Kent's statement that he kept about 30 cases:

There's a total of 3072 bottles of Esoterica (if you add up the bottle production for all 6). Subtract 31 cases (Kent's 30, plus the labrat bottles and those that were sent to the wine.woot tastings) and that leaves a total of 2700 bottles or 450 woots. This will most definitely go fast.

This has probably already been beaten to death, but I read Kent's post as he was keeping back 30 boxes of the six-pack, not 30 cases of each type.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

HitAnyKey42

JOATMON wrote:This has probably already been beaten to death, but I read Kent's post as he was keeping back 30 boxes of the six-pack, not 30 cases of each type.

No, it wasn't beaten to death....as you're the first to notice (or at least post) that discrepency.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings