djschusta

quality posts: 0 Private Messages djschusta

What the frak!! A Washington state winery with an eclectic variety offering and a sciency label... and they wont ship to New Hampshire. Live free or die right? Ya my ass. More like deal with our ridiculously ambiguous domestic wine import laws or die. This state is a joke, I'm moving to Washington.

Think outside the box, collapse the box, and take a sharp OMG PONIES!!ing knife to it.

psmurf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages psmurf
leebabysims wrote:We are an actual winery and we try to keep up with shipping compliant laws but they change regularly and it's difficult to know when a law changes in a state that might allow us to ship there so we stay on the xonservative side and I'm sure Woot does the same. Sometimes it also requires a out of state shipping license that can be expensive and doesnt justify our cost if we're not actually sending much wine there, whereas Woot has multiple wine promotions with thousands of sales and can justify that expense in a state like Wyoming. I hope that helps - Jamie

But.. but... but.... Georgia is listed on your site as being able to ship to. On the Woot page it is not listed as so. This has happened several times on Woot. I still don't understand why a winery can ship to certain states, but cannot(sometimes) when sold by Woot??

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
Neil Peart(of Rush)

leebabysims

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leebabysims
psmurf wrote:But.. but... but.... Georgia is listed on your site as being able to ship to. On the Woot page it is not listed as so. This has happened several times on Woot. I still don't understand why a winery can ship to certain states, but cannot(sometimes) when sold by Woot??

...sorry, its hard for us to keep up with...but we try...archaic shipping laws. Believe me we wish it was easier and much more clear.

cooneym11

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cooneym11
leebabysims wrote:Yep, rough times for NW sports. Sonics gone, Mariners, Seahawks, UW, WSU all stink. Scary thing when the shining light is WSU basketball...Drowning in wine isn't so bad though.

Not for long! The Blazers will bring a few titles back this way in a few years with Nate leading the charge.

psmurf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages psmurf
leebabysims wrote:...sorry, its hard for us to keep up with...but we try...archaic shipping laws. Believe me we wish it was easier and much more clear.

Thanks for your answer. One more question for you if you have the time.
If I ordered from your website(shipping to GA) would it go through, or be canceled because of these silly "archaic" laws?
I'm not pickin', and maybe the answer is that your website just hasn't updated that GA is not on the ship to list anymore???
Regardless, this looks like a nice deal to try out different wines- for those whose states qualify.

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
Neil Peart(of Rush)

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
cooneym11 wrote:Not for long! The Blazers will bring a few titles back this way in a few years with Nate leading the charge.

keep dreaming. It's gonna need more than a "few"

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
Loweeel wrote:I agree with you about the Chard, but Washington Merlot is not the stuff you're used to from Cali. It's old school, much more old-world, and pretty frakking awesome.

I just enjoyed a bottle of the Dusted Valley Merlot (from Columbia Valley) last night. Pretty awesome, indeed.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg

aces219 wrote:In for one (before labrat deadline), very excited about this. We have gotten very into WA wine since moving here a few years ago. Haven't made it out to Walla Walla yet but it is definitely on the list!

I thought I could resist, until I read a post from someone I know, whose opinion I value. Of course there was the wonderful Washington Merlot last night that help turn the tide, as well as the promise from the winery to offer a woot discount on some additional juice. In for one.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

ddeuddeg

ickeroo wrote:I don't even care about the wine ... I just want those bottles!

I never know how to take posts like this. I'm guessing you bought in, but if not, and you're serious about wanting the bottles, PM me, and I'll send you mine (after I empty them, of course).

KryseeMac

quality posts: 2 Private Messages KryseeMac

Even though I cannot get a bottle today it still would be nice to get a set of the labels. My family is heavy into science and would these look great framed and hanging!

Moondragon

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Moondragon

The Vikings win tonight has me all crazy. I think I'm going to splurge on these...

*scrounging for loose change to deposit into student bank account to cover the cost*

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
Moondragon wrote:The Vikings win tonight has me all crazy. I think I'm going to splurge on these...

*scrounging for loose change to deposit into student bank account to cover the cost*

Seriously. Fun game.

edthebedhead

These were not in the "washington" wine section of my market.

I looked today. Maybe I'll go look somewhere else tomorrow.

sjgilbert4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sjgilbert4

so in all honesty, I want to buy this, but someone needs to convince me that this isn't just a gimmick bottle.

I'm all for it, so long as I'm not just spending $60 for some cool labels....

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm
sjgilbert4 wrote:so in all honesty, I want to buy this, but someone needs to convince me that this isn't just a gimmick bottle.

Merlot a bit young, lay that down for a a little while . Otherwise, a good value now at $18.00, even better at this one time only price. IMHO

WD

cooneym11

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cooneym11
clayfu wrote:keep dreaming. It's gonna need more than a "few"

Yeah, I thought I was conservative on the number of titles as well.

leebabysims

sjgilbert4 wrote:so in all honesty, I want to buy this, but someone needs to convince me that this isn't just a gimmick bottle.

here's what a few others thought that arent on the payroll...llo

http://blindmuscat.typepad.com/tims_fine_wine_blog/2008/08/2006-substance.html

http://www.samswine.com/Substance%20Merlot%202006/10053634,default,pd.html

http://www.seattlehomesmag.com/Seattle-Homes-and-Lifestyles/May-2008/Walla-Walla-in-Springtime/

http://www.winesnw.com/ChuckHillArchives/chuckhill_new_releases_archivedJuly28_2008.htm

http://www.pikeandwestern.com/news/detail.asp?id=760

http://www.statestreetspirits.com/cgi-bin/dada/mail.cgi/archive/SSS/20080723182643/

also, check out our main site at www.waterswinery.com

Jamie Brown- Winemaker - Substance - Waters Winery - 21 Grams

sjgilbert4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sjgilbert4

awesome....thanks for the reading material. Hopefully these guys are still around after work. =)

PS - hope you weren't offended by the "just cool labels" thing.

leebabysims

sjgilbert4 wrote:awesome....thanks for the reading material. Hopefully these guys are still around after work. =)

Not at all...We think they're cool lablels too and we're aware there are alot of wines that are more concerned with whats on the outside more than whats on the inside and that gets reflected in the bottle...Not the case here, we just stumbled onto what we knew could be a cool concept from a branding standpoint and got excited about it, but my job is to make sure the wine is as good or better than the packaging.

bhallidayjr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bhallidayjr

I'm not a big wine drinker. Usually beer or scotch. Wife likes sweet reds or M&R Asti Spumante. Which of these samplers would appeal to her the most. P.S. In for two, my first wine woot.

Gravity is always on.

aces219

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aces219
ddeuddeg wrote:I thought I could resist, until I read a post from someone I know, whose opinion I value. Of course there was the wonderful Washington Merlot last night that help turn the tide, as well as the promise from the winery to offer a woot discount on some additional juice. In for one.

aww, thanks, maybe I counteracted the rpm PAZZ a little bit.

jamiriquai

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jamiriquai
sjgilbert4 wrote:awesome....thanks for the reading material. Hopefully these guys are still around after work. =)

As a designer that has worked with a number of winemakers I can honestly say this is one of those rare scenarios where the owners put a team together to create a brand of great wine at a great price. Jamie is an amazing winemaker and this endeavor was meant to be a brand that you can rely on for quality, and yet be proud to leave the bottle sitting on your counter. The design gets you to try it, the juice keeps you coming back.
The label captured Seattle magazines coolest wine label award this year, something to tell your friends while enjoying your woot offering- http://www.wallawallawinenews.com/whatsup/?p=35 .

ctajc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ctajc

I am a chem major and I really, really want these for just the bottles, however I am neither 21 or rich enough to afford them. Sad.

conroo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages conroo

*** thread hijack ***

Trying again in OHIO wine tasting! Check out the thread. We have set a day and time. Location is tentative. Stop on by!

*** end thread hijack ***

W:too many to count
WW:too many to count
SW:too many to count
SOW:too many to count

aces219

Guess who's a labrat? Me! DH says it is like Christmas 2. We got the riesling. Will post more tonight.

leebabysims

For those of you who get your wine and like what you taste, we now have the full lline-up of new releases added to website, at least on the wine order page. We're a bit behind on tasting notes and specs, but at least you'll be able to pull the trigger on your woot discount immediately if you so choose, and one thing I forgot to mention earlier when talking about these wines is that it is easy to presume this a large volume brand, but its not. Substance is still a boutique label with roughly 1000 cases each of Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Syrah, 300 of Malbec, 200 of Cab Franc and only 70 of Counoise and our whites are around 300-500...so after national distribution, they come in pretty small quantities...just an fyi

marekny7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marekny7

So how about decanting time and also what would be the drinking window on the reds ?

CT

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

As someone who graduated with a BS in chemistry, and professed washington state wine lover, this is really calling to me. Labrats, I need some arm twisting.

I'll read the links posted a bit above later, too.

ddeuddeg

aces219 wrote:aww, thanks, maybe I counteracted the rpm PAZZ a little bit.

Of course I value rpm's opinion, too, but his palate is a great deal better educated, as well as more refined, than mine. So are lots of other palates, to be sure.
One of the great things about this blog, and the rpm tour, for that matter, is that the opinions flow pretty freely, and when you read enough, and find other peoples' views that match yours, it gives you a certain level of confidence about trying an unknown.

ScottFromWyoming

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ScottFromWyoming
leebabysims wrote:...Sometimes it also requires a out of state shipping license that can be expensive and doesnt justify our cost if ...in a state like Wyoming. I hope that helps - Jamie

$50 a year, as far as I can tell. I understand that's probably $50 more than you can hope to sell in Wyoming, but hey.

ddeuddeg

marekny7 wrote:So how about decanting time and also what would be the drinking window on the reds ?

Asked and answered.

ddeuddeg

ctajc wrote:I am a chem major and I really, really want these for just the bottles, however I am neither 21 or rich enough to afford them. Sad.

If you really, really want these bottles, PM me, and you can have mine after I empty them.

leebabysims

ScottFromWyoming wrote:$50 a year, as far as I can tell. I understand that's probably $50 more than you can hope to sell in Wyoming, but hey.

...you'd be the first, sad but true

wyonel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wyonel
ScottFromWyoming wrote:$50 a year, as far as I can tell. I understand that's probably $50 more than you can hope to sell in Wyoming, but hey.

Whoa!!! There must be at least four or so of us from Wyoming buying wine here. And I have bought at least that much ($50.00) wine this year on wine.woot!! Really, I think there are at least 4 of us from the Cowboy state on this website.

edthebedhead

wyonel wrote:Whoa!!! There must be at least four or so of us from Wyoming buying wine here. And I have bought at least that much ($50.00) wine this year on wine.woot!! Really, I think there are at least 4 of us from the Cowboy state on this website.

plus the winery has to pay a 12% tax on each order.

Kothoga

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kothoga

After an extremely long day at the office, I just arrived home to find that I got a golden ticket! A nice bottle of the chardonnay is now in the wine fridge cooling down for tomorrow night.

I'd pop the cork tonight but my dinner is going to consist of a quick PB&J before hitting the bed...I'm pooped! As for tomorrow, I've got a nice chicken piccata and capers meal planned so the wife and I will be sure to post our lab report ASAP.

Thanks WD!

BobboinAVL

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BobboinAVL
terrenceistheman wrote:hey guys i know this is off topic, but can someone tell me what WD means?

Thanks in advance

WithDrawal

aces219

Riesling labrat report:
We got home from work at about 5:45 and put the bottle in the fridge until 7:45. That got it down to 50 degrees.

Color: pale yellow, transparent

Aroma: not much. Maybe apple and a hint of peach.

Taste: at first this wine blew me away with its zinginess. Nice acidity, very crisp. I tasted a fuller body on the finish. Apple...not a lot of complex flavors, but pleasant. The excitement is in the mouthfeel.

This is a dry riesling, but it is very fruit-forward so it gives the appearance of sweet. As it warms up, this is more apparent and almost borders on flabby on the finish. But the upfront acidity holds up, and there is some nice zip at the end.

This is a pretty simple riesling in terms of flavor (at least to my palate), but the balance puts it above a lot of other <$20 WA state rieslings in my mind. We definitely enjoyed it. It's not one of those wines that I could easily drink a whole bottle of because it's a hint too fruit-forward for me, but it would make a delightful aperitif I think. A great example of what WA state riesling can be like, and I'd definitely recommend trying it if you are not familiar with it.

Thanks, WD, it's great to be a rat again since it's been about a year!

trwagner

quality posts: 4 Private Messages trwagner

So we also made the grade this week and became lucky rats. We received the Cab this afternoon and quickly put it in our wine fridge to cool it down from the 100 degree weather here in So Cal! We opened the bottle tonight and can honestly say it was excellent (and not just because it was free ;-)). It's a nice, light cab with very few tannins. It almost reminded us of a Cabernet Franc. It has hints of blackberry and a little tobacco. It was very drinkable now and don't know that we would cellar it for long. The labels are very cool, but the wine is also great and it's certainly a good woot buy! Glad we ordered two, but maybe we should have made it three...

terrenceistheman

quality posts: 15 Private Messages terrenceistheman
BobboinAVL wrote:WithDrawal

nyuck nyuck

In for one.. pretty excited.. bottles being cool is a bonus

First sucker: MaskedMarvel
Speed to first woot: 0m 4.203s

Last wooter to woot: terrenceistheman