Volunteer Moderator

Substance Four Pack Sampler
$59.99 + $5 shipping
condition: Red and White
products: 1 2007 Chardonnay
1 2007 Riesling
1 2006 Cabernet Sauvignon
1 2007 Merlot

Links above are to CT. All but the Cabernet are new entries.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

Cesare

quality posts: 1671 Private Messages Cesare

The cool winery website.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:*** We interrupt this thread for a Public Service Announcement: ***
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…The Sunday/Monday Edition

Is there a Woot Wine Gathering in your neck of the woods? If so - come find out what you've been missing! If not...well get off your duff and organize one! We're nice people, and we bring GOOD wine!

Note: Any links take you to page ONE of the thread. Enjoy the read!

October
10/11: NoVA/DC #7 – Big Eight Rumble: Old World vs. New World Time to post your foods and your +1’s! TripGrad is counting us down!
10/18: NYC #5 – A Taste of Spain on the UWS with Krugsters and her lovely hubby (who is NOT Mr. Krugsters!)
10/18: Seattle Area If you are coming, please PM Aces to get directions.
10/18: Detroit #3 – Weird Foods Cheron’s looking for pairings to go with Alligator. And kangaroo. And Sake brownies. And other stuff
10/25: Connecticut #2… Theme is “Anything Goes”. Hmmm…sounds like what the DC/NoVA parties degenerate into.
10/25: Ohio! Conroo’s making arrangements in the Cleveland area! Yell now if you’re in OH (or NW PA, or SW NY) and can come!
10/26: DFW Area The Shirt.Wooters in the DFW area are getting together and have invited the W.W’ers along for the party.
October TBD:
Seattle area Let’s pick a date and get some company up in the NW for Aces and Mr. Aces!
Portland, OR EdtheBedhead is aiming for October or November
Colorado #2 Joel is looking at late-October. Anyone available?

November
11/1: SoCal #5: Samhain/Dia de los Muertos! Yes, this does mean that SoCal #5 is BEFORE SoCal #4, but when has disrupting the space/time continuum mattered to true Wine Wooters??? TimByrd is breaking out the PoiZin and cooking up a storm at his place.
11/15: SoCal #4: The Vegas Invasion!!! The dates are set! Theme is Lesser Known Varietals. So bring your Wine Century sheets and fill in the matrix.
11/15: NE Florida NE Florida wine wooters are getting it going in JAX!!!!! Please let us know if you are coming and what you are bringing!
11/15: NYC #6: Viva Italia! Cesare and KT are setting up an Italian Wines party over in Queens.
November/December TBD:
NoVA/DC #8 Would people (that’s us!) get off the stick and pick a date????

Urgently needing some help:
Dallas-Fort Worth
Austin Area They are trying and trying, but haven’t got a date set.

You just missed:
Nothing this week, but wowzer(!), next 2 weekends have got a bunch of parties!

*** We now return you to your regularly scheduled wine thread. ***

end

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel

So appealing to the scigeek in me.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

leebabysims

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leebabysims

Just the cat that made the hat that made the Substance wines, hanging out drinkin scotch with my girl and letting the woot world envelope us. Here to tell you what I can about the wines and the project in general...

kyle83uw

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kyle83uw

Toffee kids stole my wine $$$...interested in hearing the labrat reports though- who knows, I might be convinced...payday is on the 7th......

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
Cesare wrote:The cool winery website.

wow, that page might drive me straight to lynx.

CT

heartluce

quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce

Good guessing on this one sleuthers and a very cool website. May try this.

afranke

quality posts: 10 Private Messages afranke
leebabysims wrote:Just the cat that made the hat that made the Substance wines, hanging out drinkin scotch with my girl and letting the woot world envelope us. Here to tell you what I can about the wines and the project in general...

What was the inspiration behind the periodic table theme?

DMfan8604

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DMfan8604

The science nerd in me wants these soooo badly, but the poor broke college student in me says no.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 210 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

leebabysims wrote:Just the cat that made the hat that made the Substance wines, hanging out drinkin scotch with my girl and letting the woot world envelope us. Here to tell you what I can about the wines and the project in general...

Welcome to the fray.

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

Hey, Lee, welcome to the boards! I read a little bit about this project/winery this evening. Can you tell us a bit about your mission in putting the Substance brand out there?

(and what're ya drinkin? My Bruichladdich didn't help the Sox pull of a series win tonight, but it's helping console me that they didn't)

trwagner

quality posts: 4 Private Messages trwagner

So cool we've just got to have it! In for two (and still wouldn't mind being a labrat).

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

tenuki wrote:wow, that page might drive me straight to lynx.

...like trying to open a JPG in Notepad... :D

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo

Hi there and welcome! Very interested in Walla Walla wines and would love to hear more about your project. Is everything sourced locally? Please comment on each of the wines as much as you can. Are the reds "old world" or new? Are the whites smooth and buttery, or bright and fruity?

Want to hear the whole story!

pn edit, PS: I'm sipping some 2003 Cathdral Ridge (Columbia Valley, OR) Cab this evening... do you know thise folks?

leebabysims

We felt it was important to have something that was "from the earth" sometimes it seems as though modern wines focus on ripeness and not neccesarily allow the elements of what the earth shine through in the wines and this is about representing what Washington and its northerrn latitude vineyards truly have to offer for each varietal we make, keep them restrained and elegant and true to that particular varietal and the peridoc table seemed the perfect avenue to convey that...Jamie

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel

And washington state too...

No, I can't get this. But if anybody in the DC area gets it, I'll pick off some of the merlot. Yes, you heard me. Merlot.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
Corrado wrote:Hey, Lee, welcome to the boards! I read a little bit about this project/winery this evening. Can you tell us a bit about your mission in putting the Substance brand out there?

(and what're ya drinkin? My Bruichladdich didn't help the Sox pull of a series win tonight, but it's helping console me that they didn't)

Which Bruichladdich?

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

leebabysims

Corrado wrote:Hey, Lee, welcome to the boards! I read a little bit about this project/winery this evening. Can you tell us a bit about your mission in putting the Substance brand out there?

I'm cruising with Dalwhinnie at the moment, but I'm stuck on Barolo's in wine world

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

JOATMON wrote:Which Bruichladdich?

Just the run-of-the-mill 10yr stuff; good daily drinker. The 21yr malts stay in the tube until the BoSox actually win the World Series... again.

cooneym11

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cooneym11

semitalentedfool

quality posts: 2 Private Messages semitalentedfool

labrats: convince me.

leebabysims

We felt like there were a lot of "second labels" out there that werent "hand crafted" Its important to me to offer value in wine. With Waters wines I have the luxury of carte blanche winemaking whether its crop load, yield, barrel time etc...so with Substance we dedcided to make these wines in the same fashion but they would come from non name vineyards within the walla walla and columbia valley appellations, be made in open top fermenters with quality oak, but be cleared out of out cellar before the next vintage so we could offer some kick ass juice for a great price. They're essentially made the same way we make out higher end wines, they just get released a bit quicker and we're not dealing on the open bulk market so the wines wont have a drop off in quality as we grow...cause I make em myself, plus this brand is a total bonus for an art/wine freak like me cause I can make any wine I see fit without having ti "fit" it into the Waters Winery portfolio...perhaps a blaufrankish someday!!!???

leebabysims

...After what, an 89 year draught you win the series and you're still holding the 21 yr??? You oughtta try being a Mariner. Its only been 30 years and it feels like a hundred...especially this year

cooneym11

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cooneym11
leebabysims wrote:...After what, an 89 year draught you win the series and you're still holding the 21 yr??? You oughtta try being a Mariner. Its only been 30 years and it feels like a hundred...especially this year

At least you have the Sonics to look to...oh, sorry. You are more than welcome to cheer on our Blazers, as we look north for all other sports.

leebabysims

Dude, that HURT...but at least you have Mr Sonic running the show down there. Who doesn't love Nate?

linuxsense

quality posts: 0 Private Messages linuxsense

Fsck it...I am in for one.

Wife will kill me, but I am sure its noting a few glasses of wine wont fix...

Aug 2004...Boosh! and/or Kakow!

JOATMON

Corrado wrote:Just the run-of-the-mill 10yr stuff; good daily drinker. The 21yr malts stay in the tube until the BoSox actually win the World Series... again.

WMD
Perilous X4

(as of 2011-03-02)

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

leebabysims wrote:...After what, an 89 year draught you win the series and you're still holding the 21 yr??? You oughtta try being a Mariner. Its only been 30 years and it feels like a hundred...especially this year

Hey, that bottle of 21yr Glengoyne is the remaining few ounces of booze that came back from Scotland in 2002, and I've had the pleasure of tasting it a twice in the past few years, so all is good in the world (glad I'm not a Cubs fan!)

The SciGeek in me is screaming YES, but the $900 snowblower, $850 Insurance premium, and $250 wine.woot last week is sucker-punching the SciGeek in the kisser.

...and related enough to post.

leebabysims

well, then let's hope they win it this year so your 21 year old malt doesnt turn into a 121 year old malt llo

yumitori

quality posts: 22 Private Messages yumitori

I like the 'periodic' concept of the website, but I should be able to spell things. You know, like CHoCoLaTe.

JOATMON

Corrado wrote:Hey, that bottle of 21yr Glengoyne is the remaining few ounces of booze that came back from Scotland in 2002, and I've had the pleasure of tasting it a twice in the past few years, so all is good in the world (glad I'm not a Cubs fan!)

The SciGeek in me is screaming YES, but the $900 snowblower, $850 Insurance premium, and $250 wine.woot last week is sucker-punching the SciGeek in the kisser.

...and related enough to post.

I need to bug my voice coach for the newly added verse. Yes, all the newer elements have been added; when a production of TomFoolery was put on last year, Mr. Lehrer helped them update the song.

(as of 2011-03-02)

speedoo

leebabysims wrote:well, then let's hope they win it this year so your 21 year old malt doesnt turn into a 121 year old malt llo

Hey, Lee... we will get more out of your responses if we know what question or post you are responding to. If you respond to a specific post, click on "Reply" at the bottom of that post and a window will open up with that post in it.

Just type your response below that, hit "Post" and it will look like this.

leebabysims

speedoo wrote:Hi there and welcome! Very interested in Walla Walla wines and would love to hear more about your project. Is everything sourced locally? Please comment on each of the wines as much as you can. Are the reds "old world" or new? Are the whites smooth and buttery, or bright and fruity?

Want to hear the whole story!

pn edit, PS: I'm sipping some 2003 Cathdral Ridge (Columbia Valley, OR) Cab this evening... do you know thise folks?

Dont know the folks from Cathedral Ridge but wineries are breeding like rabbits out here...How the hell is it?!?

We try to stay on the austere side with all the wines so the Riesling is made in tank with very little RS and the Chardonnay is barrel fermented in tight grain french oak (50% new) but then pulled off to neutral oak at about 4 months so the oak doesnt dominate. The reds have roughly 30 to 40 percent new oak and primarily tight grain french so it doesnt impart the oak to heavily. All the fruit is sourced locally from the Walla Walla and Columbia Valley appellations with about half coming form our newley developed estate properties in Walla Walla and the other half coming from renowned vineyards such as Seven Hills, Sagemoore, Pepper Bridge and more and they too are made in more of a finesse style...I'd rather kill you softly than bonk you over the head, but thats just me.

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

leebabysims wrote:...so with Substance we dedcided to make these wines in the same fashion but they would come from non name vineyards within the walla walla and columbia valley appellations, be made in open top fermenters with quality oak, but be cleared out of out cellar before the next vintage so we could offer some kick ass juice for a great price. They're essentially made the same way we make out higher end wines, they just get released a bit quicker and we're not dealing on the open bulk market so the wines wont have a drop off in quality as we grow

So what tactics do you use to make Substance wines ready for release (and, presumably, to drink) in advance of the 'main' label? Said another way, what do you have to give up to get this wine out of the cellar quickly?

speedoo

leebabysims wrote:Dont know the folks from Cathedral Ridge but wineries are breeding like rabbits out here...How the hell is it?!?

We try to stay on the austere side with all the wines so the Riesling is made in tank with very little RS and the Chardonnay is barrel fermented in tight grain french oak (50% new) but then pulled off to neutral oak at about 4 months so the oak doesnt dominate. The reds have roughly 30 to 40 percent new oak and primarily tight grain french so it doesnt impart the oak to heavily. All the fruit is sourced locally from the Walla Walla and Columbia Valley appellations with about half coming form our newley developed estate properties in Walla Walla and the other half coming from renowned vineyards such as Seven Hills, Sagemoore, Pepper Bridge and more and they too are made in more of a finesse style...I'd rather kill you softly than bonk you over the head, but thats just me.

Thanks for the answer, Lee. The Cathedral Ridge is pretty good. Nice balance. It's more a finesse wine than bold, and that suits me pretty well tonight.

I gather from a review that your Substance Merlot is drinking well now, and that the Cab could use some bottle age. Would you agree?

One more question: who are you? I looked at the Waters website but could not make a connection there.

leebabysims

I dont know that we really give anything up. I think any well made wine can always ue more time in bottle (not neccessarily in cellar) but within the style weve chosen to make these wines we're not really fighting the normal concerns you might have with ripe, extracted and oak driven wines because we don't have to find ways to integrate those things as much. They're fresh, vibrant, fruit driven wines that show well early but will only get better with time. Dont get me wrong though, they're not lean or light, they're just not over the top in anyway, and of course, each wine has its own personality and agenda for when it might show best.

leebabysims

speedoo wrote:Thanks for the answer, Lee. The Cathedral Ridge is pretty good. Nice balance. It's more a finesse wine than bold, and that suits me pretty well tonight.

I gather from a review that your Substance Merlot is drinking well now, and that the Cab could use some bottle age. Would you agree?

One more question: who are you? I looked at the Waters website but could not make a connection there.

I'm guessing the review is a bit old, the cab is showing fantastic. I'm Jamie Brown. I make the wines for Waters Winery as well as 21 Grams and Substance with Greg Harrington from Gramercy Cellars. Greg and I met when he was a wine buyer in NY and he tasted a syrah I made when I was the winemaker at James Leigh Cellars in Walla Walla and we had an instant connection with our inclination to make wines of restraint, so we decided to attach ourselves at the hip and see what might happen...and we're having a total blast.

speedoo

leebabysims wrote:I'm guessing the review is a bit old, the cab is showing fantastic. I'm Jamie Brown. I make the wines for Waters Winery as well as 21 Grams and Substance with Greg Harrington from Gramercy Cellars. Greg and I met when he was a wine buyer in NY and he tasted a syrah I made when I was the winemaker at James Leigh Cellars in Walla Walla and we had an instant connection with our inclination to make wines of restraint, so we decided to attach ourselves at the hip and see what might happen...and we're having a total blast.

Great, Jamie. Good to meet you.