risingstarlp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages risingstarlp
Corrado wrote:Actually, I've spent the last five years building up a resistance to botulism.

Now, a clever man would put the botulin into his own goblet because he would know that only a great fool would reach or what he is given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known that I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.

Lighter

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Lighter

Rat here. This time, nothing literary, political, oblique or tangential. No doctored photos nor web casts. Just the clacks, ma'am.

• Dang! This is good stuff.

There - no confusion about what I'm going to write.

It was a dark and shiny - oh, wait a minute. I've done that. How about; A funny thing happened to me on my way to Lab Rat the toffee. I asked directions of a fellow named Dibbler and - oops. There I go again.

It's all about the story.

This is a darned good story. What makes it "darned good" is that these "kids" have come up with a product that can stand up great without any story. Sure, genus marketing. Sure, insider help. Sure - on and on. But none of that frippery takes away from the story. And only makes a great product greater.

Here is what's good. Toss a piece in your mouth. You can taste milk, sugar, chocolate, and almonds. Each clear and perfectly balanced. You can get that from every piece. No decanting, no cellaring, no bottle shock, no corkage; none of that stuff.

• Just open the can.
  • Reach.
  • Toss.
  • Munch.
  • And go straight to heaven.

There. That's several reports; a style of writing for every taste. I truly wish I could hate this stuff so that I wouldn't have to hide the can in the 'fridge behind the radishes and Brussels sprouts.

m5rammy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages m5rammy

Wow. Such stellar reviews!
It's more than I would normally spend ... but (long story short) I'm in for 3.

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

Lighter wrote:

This is a darned good story. What makes it "darned good" is that these "kids" have come up with a product that can stand up great without any story. Sure, genus marketing. Sure, insider help. Sure - on and on. But none of that frippery takes away from the story. And only makes a great product greater.

I sense a Geico-inspired advertising catastrophe may ensue shortly.

"Brandini Toffee on wine.woot. So easy a caveman could order it!"

(it was either that or another dig at PB22 based on a, "Dogs can't read theme."

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

JRRB

quality posts: 34 Private Messages JRRB

With the dark chocolate (my favorite!), great reviews, and the "Woot Bday" coupon I just couldn't resist. The amazing thing is that I only ordered one. If my pocketbook could have taken it, there would have been more. The food offerings are what get me every time... (Though that mead a while back was quite nice because it gave me an excuse to try something I'd always been intrigued about but never sampled.)

zipperpig

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zipperpig
thebrandini wrote:Hey Wooters! My dad said I could stay up past my bed time to blog. We are so excited to be the main deal this time! Actually today we celebrated our two year aniversary! That means two years ago we were creating our website and perfecting our first batch. When we started the company two years ago we would hand roast and grind our almonds, hand stir each 10 pound batch for an hour, and even hand break the toffee. The awesome thing now is that we're still doing that same thing but in a larger scale. We look forward to a fun week of Wooting. O and just kiding about the bedtime. *giggles*

This might sound weird, but if you guys could find a way of keeping it refrigerated during the shipping process, I would bet that if you took peach slices and covered them with your delectable toffee treat, I'm almost positive it would be absolutely scrumptious! Just a thought (or maybe just a toffee loving ramble). *drools*

MaskedMarvel

quality posts: 11 Private Messages MaskedMarvel

I was a little surprized to learn a while back that raisins were deadly to dogs as well.

Also batteries, magnets, and cement shoes.

rabbitjr

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rabbitjr
MaskedMarvel wrote:I was a little surprized to learn a while back that raisins were deadly to dogs as well.

Grapes (I unfortunately found this out after we put our dog down for kidney failure he LOVED grape treats),
onions, garlic...many other surprising things which I can't recall

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
risingstarlp wrote:Now, a clever man would put the botulin into his own goblet because he would know that only a great fool would reach or what he is given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known that I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.

So, I'm watching this movie the other day and they get to that part and I'm thinking, the wine looks thin. Any guesses as to whats in the glass?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

rabbitjr wrote:Grapes (I unfortunately found this out after we put our dog down for kidney failure he LOVED grape treats),

Grapes? Guess Darby just got a favorite treat cut out. Luckily we don't buy grapes very often. Onions and garlic I wasn't aware of also, though I swear garlic is in some of the treats I buy. So where's the website that tells all the things I shouldn't give to my dog?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

bhodilee wrote:Grapes? Guess Darby just got a favorite treat cut out. Luckily we don't buy grapes very often. Onions and garlic I wasn't aware of also, though I swear garlic is in some of the treats I buy. So where's the website that tells all the things I shouldn't give to my dog?

As with chocolate, it appears that the quantity required for an effect is along the lines of, "My stupid Golden Retriever just got into the pantry and ate a dozen heads of garlic..."

http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dtoxin.html#Onion%20and%20Garlic%20toxicity%20%20in%20dogs%20and%20cats

rabbitjr

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rabbitjr
bhodilee wrote:Grapes? Guess Darby just got a favorite treat cut out. Luckily we don't buy grapes very often. Onions and garlic I wasn't aware of also, though I swear garlic is in some of the treats I buy. So where's the website that tells all the things I shouldn't give to my dog?

Any kind of plant that comes from a bulb for sure (which includes onions and garlic). That was a news story around here a few years ago how some of the ingredients in dog treats are toxic and that owners should read the ingredient lists before they buy. I think someone posted earlier the ASPCA website. Their Animal Control Center has several pages on food, plants, and other household Chemicals. I think a good start is here:
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc_ask

Although I think drinking alcohol is on the list too and I used to know a guy who would open up a can of beer and set it down and his dog would drink it up. The dog lived to a ripe old age despite the daily treat.

bhodilee

Corrado wrote:As with chocolate, it appears that the quantity required for an effect is along the lines of, "My stupid Golden Retriever just got into the pantry and ate a dozen heads of garlic..."

http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dtoxin.html#Onion%20and%20Garlic%20toxicity%20%20in%20dogs%20and%20cats

Cept Darby is an 11 pound dachshund. Didn't really get people food at all until my daughter found the joy of feeding the dog.

Excellent, it appears the dog cannot eat anything I like, so I won't feel the need to share

Toffeeking

quality posts: 36 Private Messages Toffeeking
zipperpig wrote:This might sound weird, but if you guys could find a way of keeping it refrigerated during the shipping process, I would bet that if you took peach slices and covered them with your delectable toffee treat, I'm almost positive it would be absolutely scrumptious! Just a thought (or maybe just a toffee loving ramble). *drools*

The toffee is shipped freshly frozen. Once it is out of the desert heat it is no problem, just make sure it doesn't sit out when you get it. Put it int the frig or freezer for a few minutes and enjoy. We will find a window next week when the weather is good before we send the orders out. California is getting a storm this weekend that is going to drop temps in the 80's.

As far as the sliced peach idea...interesting

Toffeeking

MaskedMarvel wrote:I was a little surprized to learn a while back that raisins were deadly to dogs as well.

MaskedMarvel where have you been? We needed your insight in the dog/chocolate matter.

Toffeeking

j-o-h-n wrote:Wow, look at the stats, for 41% of people buying this, it is their first wine.woot!

I finally figured out that the 41% of first time buyers are probably coming from the Woot site. I am very sorry to call you all rookies, my mistake.

Toffeeking

Brandini Toffee has had no conversations with with WD regarding future dates before the holidays, please if you are on the fence regarding ordering or how much do I order, just order sometime before Sunday midnight. Just don't want anyone to miss out...no pressure

You will understand where we are coming from when we make the BIG BIG announcement.

Toffeeking

Lighter wrote:Rat here. This time, nothing literary, political, oblique or tangential. No doctored photos nor web casts. Just the clacks, ma'am.

• Dang! This is good stuff.

There - no confusion about what I'm going to write.

It was a dark and shiny - oh, wait a minute. I've done that. How about; A funny thing happened to me on my way to Lab Rat the toffee. I asked directions of a fellow named Dibbler and - oops. There I go again.

Here is what's good. Toss a piece in your mouth. You can taste milk, sugar, chocolate, and almonds. Each clear and perfectly balanced. You can get that from every piece. No decanting, no cellaring, no bottle shock, no corkage; none of that stuff.

• Just open the can.
  • Reach.
  • Toss.
  • Munch.
  • And go straight to heaven.

There. That's several reports; a style of writing for every taste. I truly wish I could hate this stuff so that I wouldn't have to hide the can in the 'fridge behind the radishes and Brussels sprouts.

Brandini may have a PR/copy writing position available. Thanks for the comment

MaskedMarvel

quality posts: 11 Private Messages MaskedMarvel
Toffeeking wrote:MaskedMarvel where have you been? We needed your insight in the dog/chocolate matter.

How's the Brandinitini working out for you guys?

Toffeeking

MaskedMarvel wrote:How's the Brandinitini working out for you guys?

Glad you asked, November 1, we are hoping that one of the valleys best steak house, who showed a lot of interest before summer will be offering the Brandinitini on their dessert/cordial list. The rim of the glass will have the toppers, with a triangle wedge of toffee as the garnish. Great recipe.

SunflowerPrincess

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SunflowerPrincess
Toffeeking wrote:Glad you asked, November 1, we are hoping that one of the valleys best steak house, who showed a lot of interest before summer will be offering the Brandinitini on their dessert/cordial list. The rim of the glass will have the toppers, with a triangle wedge of toffee as the garnish. Great recipe.

Sounds so good!

Oops, my Tiara slipped!

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

So I just picked up 3 of the toffee's. I missed out on it when it was the side deal, and then got to taste some of at at one of the NYC woot wine tastings and it was quite yummy. I so totally can't afford this, but I'm buying it anyway. Two of them will most likely be as Xmas gifts to my mom and aunt. So that at least starts my Xmas shopping....of which I so totally suck at and can never figure out what to buy people.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

HitAnyKey42

Toffeeking wrote:Have tried the toffee with just about every beverage. Yesterday I received my Sake trio set from a few weeks ago. Sake/Toffee comb. was great. Had a little glass of the Nigori, and poured a little of the toppers in my mouth as a chaser. So far I have had the toffee with big Cabs, Pinots, Zins(my favorite), Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Balnc, Meritage, Chardonnay, but none of the pink stuff...does anyone drink that stuff anymore? Beer (all kinds), and every cognac I can get to. It all matches magically with the toffee. And no I don't have any issues. I have not tried it with a Muscat or other desert wine, but I will.

So I'm guessing that you opinion is that with regards to wine, the toffee goes best with Zin? Is there a particular reason for that? Such as a specific taste sensation you like with that combo?

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney
HitAnyKey42 wrote:So I'm guessing that you opinion is that with regards to wine, the toffee goes best with Zin? Is there a particular reason for that? Such as a specific taste sensation you like with that combo?

hey HAK, you've got a PM!

CT

Toffeeking

HitAnyKey42 wrote:So I just picked up 3 of the toffee's. I missed out on it when it was the side deal, and then got to taste some of at at one of the NYC woot wine tastings and it was quite yummy. I so totally can't afford this, but I'm buying it anyway. Two of them will most likely be as Xmas gifts to my mom and aunt. So that at least starts my Xmas shopping....of which I so totally suck at and can never figure out what to buy people.

Only problem is that if you give your aunt and Mom anything else again for Xmas in the future(unless it's a car or something like that) they will always be disappointed.
As far as this Xmas goes though, you will be the pride of the family.

HitAnyKey42

Toffeeking wrote:Also, If you are not a shopper and don't know what to get someone for the holidays, WD has also saved you the trouble of those tough decisions. Three Brandini deals and most of the shopping hassle is over. Not to mention the gas you'll save!

That's exactly what I just did, and I look forward to future non-wine second half of the week offers where I can do some more of it. My mom will surely love this stuff, especially after someone stated that the toppers are most excellent on Coffee ice cream which is my mom's favorite.
And yes, both the idea of not having to go "out" shopping (which I absolutely hate to do) and saving on gas money were easy pushes towards my ordering.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

Toffeeking

bkarney wrote:hey HAK, you've got a PM!

I like Zins, think that the bold flavors in a big Zin are the perfect match with the sweetness of the toffee, and roasted nuts. However, I am not an expert. I thought that the 2 glass of the G sake and toffee was very good last night. Thanks for that Polarbear.

HitAnyKey42

Toffeeking wrote:It's not like the brownies that I have heard so many wooters comment about!

Now THAT would be some awesome toffee if made as "Happy Toffee".
(similar to "happy brownies")

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Now THAT would be some awesome toffee if made as "Happy Toffee".
(similar to "happy brownies")

Imagine the shipping headaches on that one.... this GUY could have helped

CT

Toffeeking

bkarney wrote:Imagine the shipping headaches on that one.... this GUY could have helped

I think that is the same postal carrier that has been taking some of the wooters orders...must have the munchies. Remember you can smell the toffee in the sealed box, it must have been to much for him to take;)

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
rabbitjr wrote:Grapes (I unfortunately found this out after we put our dog down for kidney failure he LOVED grape treats),

Fortunately, our dog seems to hate round food, so he won't eat a dropped grape, etc. I better talk with the wife.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

Toffeeking

By the way Brandini Toffee is perfecting 2 new products in 2009. Brandini Poppers are in the RND phase right now. Premium popcorn covered in toffee, candied almond and drizzled with Guittard Chocolate. Our friends and family say that is may be better then the toffee on it's own. I know this, we can't keep it in the house for more then a day...lot's of lab rats in the neighborhood.

Second is a sugar free Brandini Toffee. It actually tastes great, but the recipe is much more complex then the butter, sugar, chocolate, almond one.

We are working on packaging and we hope to bring it to the Woot world first sometime next spring.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
Toffeeking wrote:By the way Brandini Toffee is perfecting 2 new products in 2009. Brandini Poppers are in the RND phase right now. Premium popcorn covered in toffee, candied almond and drizzled with Guittard Chocolate. Our friends and family say that is may be better then the toffee on it's own. I know this, we can't keep it in the house for more then a day...lot's of lab rats in the neighborhood.

Second is a sugar free Brandini Toffee. It actually tastes great, but the recipe is much more complex then the butter, sugar, chocolate, almond one.

We are working on packaging and we hope to bring it to the Woot world first sometime next spring.

OK, drooling already. Poppers sound great. Will you be my neighbor? (And then I can lab rat also.)

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

j-o-h-n

quality posts: 4 Private Messages j-o-h-n
Corrado wrote:Wine offerings have a very limited ship-to state list and a 21+ requirement.

Maybe they should move to a more progressive thinking state.

Iowa, it's like a green Nevada.

Higher prices AND crappier blanks, no thank you

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

j-o-h-n wrote:Maybe they should move to a more progressive thinking state.

Iowa, it's like a green Nevada.

Yes, but then they'd be stuck living in Iowa (and, really, who wants that?) ;)

AlexIAm

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AlexIAm
Toffeeking wrote:BIG BIG annoucement coming tomorrow from Brandini Toffee. We hope to get confirmation Friday on our biggest holiday endorsement yet... Even BIGGER then the Gold Sofi. Wine Wooters will be the first to know...that is if we get the "you're in" email and don't have to sign a confidentiality agreement.

toffee.woot.com? ;)

>insert funny quote here<

mpearlman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mpearlman

i didn't even have to think twice about whether or not to purchase... i did, however, have to think twice about my temptation to get two orders instead of just 1!!!!!!!!

Toffeeking

Everyone must be on the edge of their seat for the BIG BIG announcement. Now this may not mean as much to you, but for a small business it's BIG TIME.

Brandini Toffee has made the " Holiday shopping must buy" list for the wealthiest woman in the world. Can you guess who?

ticomike

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ticomike
spdrcr05 wrote:was preparing my reply to PB... but I'll just go with this: what Corrado said...

My 80 lb Lab loves chocolate as well (okay to be honest... she loves food and even some non-food items as well) but I'm not gonna give her any because it's POISON. Kind of like intentionally injecting yourself with small amounts of botulism, only the dog doesn't make a conscious choice to take the risk.

That sound you just heard was spdrcr05 stepping down off his soapbox.

A small amount would be more like having a few too many glasses of wine. There's no doubt the dog will enjoy the heck out a small morsel and it won't take any more off it's life than a bender. My mastiff ate anything left out on the counter when we were gone (trained us to keep things picked up). Never took anything when being watched but the darn thing was so big the stuff on the counter was impossible to resist when we were gone. She had her share of desserts (never alot) and lived to be the oldest Mastiff the Vet at the U of M had heard of (13 years old).

Still good to get the word out on the dangers of too much (and nothing to make a habit of) with dogs and chocolate. Surprising how few people are aware of it.

yumitori

quality posts: 22 Private Messages yumitori
Toffeeking wrote:
Brandini Toffee has made the " Holiday shopping must buy" list for the wealthiest woman in the world. Can you guess who?

The obvious choice would be Oprah.

I mean, JK Rowling may have nearly as much money but her greatest fans don't have the bucks to buy the really good stuff.