Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

thrawn1020 wrote:I was sort of curious as to whether or not the Polyphemus in MM's picture was part of the labrat, or if a bottle was just pulled out of storage for effect. Lots of labrats on this one.

Awesome writeup though.

I was wondering that same thing. Maybe *this* is where we see the 1+1 of the current (sold out) offering with the overstock of Polyphemus. ...although shipping a magnum with a standard bottle could present packaging problems... unless they use Magnum shippers and wrap the standard bottle in a nice T-Shirt.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

kakarak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kakarak
Daystar wrote:Got a case shipped to OH yesterday. 125 as well. Looking forward to trying this. While I'm sure it wont be overly stunning I'm sure it'll be a nice everyday drinking wine.

Peter, maybe you can elaborate on some tasting notes for us (if you have the time, I know your busy ATM!)

Oh and worth noting that the prices goes up from 8$ to 10$ per bottle starting tmrw.

Strange. I was just going to pick up a case of this as well, and they're not showing North Dakota as a shipping state. This is the first time I've seen NoDak not be an option

I've ordered several bottles of Wellington through w.w. I thought the shipping list of the vineyard became the shipping list of wine.woot-- no?

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
Daystar wrote:Got a case shipped to OH yesterday. 125 as well. Looking forward to trying this. While I'm sure it wont be overly stunning I'm sure it'll be a nice everyday drinking wine.

Peter, maybe you can elaborate on some tasting notes for us (if you have the time, I know your busy ATM!)

Oh and worth noting that the prices goes up from 8$ to 10$ per bottle starting tmrw.

I had the last version of the Duke - and while it's not as impressive as the rest of Peter's offerings (obviously), it still is decent. Definitely not a long-term kind of bottle, cellar OR fridge. If you don't finish the bottle in one night, you might as well dump the rest because by the second day it goes fluky. Of course, this version, I'm sure, is different than the last - I haven't gotten around to comparing the blends to see what's changed. But yeah, it's a good daily drinker.

My notes from the last one:

Very good for the price, but you need to drink the whole thing in one night. Overnight kills this and turns it sour. First night, though, good black cherry flavors, chewy yet soft tannins. Very fruit-forward and fairly well balanced. 84pts.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cheron98

Corrado wrote:I was wondering that same thing. Maybe *this* is where we see the 1+1 of the current (sold out) offering with the overstock of Polyphemus. ...although shipping a magnum with a standard bottle could present packaging problems... unless they use Magnum shippers and wrap the standard bottle in a nice T-Shirt.

I love this idea! I hate this idea! Ack! Conflicted!!!

No. No, I will not buy more. Even if it's this. I mustn't. I can't...

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx
cheron98 wrote:I love this idea! I hate this idea! Ack! Conflicted!!!

No. No, I will not buy more. Even if it's this. I mustn't. I can't...

I would guess that MM just brought out the Poly bottle for effect. Don't get your hopes up, or cc ready just yet...

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

Lighter

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Lighter
eric9tx wrote:I would guess that MM just brought out the Poly bottle for effect. Don't get your hopes up, or cc ready just yet...

IF it came back this year - same bottling - it would be a much improved wine. It was a bit young.

eric9tx

Lighter wrote:IF it came back this year - same bottling - it would be a much improved wine. It was a bit young.

I've only had one of my two. 'Twasn't bad, but holding onto it just in case.

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

Lighter wrote:IF it came back this year - same bottling - it would be a much improved wine. It was a bit young.

I agree, it struck me as a wine that was a bit youthful, but also one that may have a narrow 'optimum' drinking window. My final bottle will be opened at this year's Festivus party ("Final" assuming we don't see the big green monster again this year).

wootified

quality posts: 5 Private Messages wootified
Corrado wrote:I agree, it struck me as a wine that was a bit youthful, but also one that may have a narrow 'optimum' drinking window. My final bottle will be opened at this year's Festivus party ("Final" assuming we don't see the big green monster again this year).

Someone else with an annual Festivus party...good to see.
You've given me an idea for one of my Toothstejnn bottles, thanks.

P.S. I've stopped keeping this up to date
Woot:75 Sell:15 Kids:12 Shirts:0 Wine:44

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
Corrado wrote:I was wondering that same thing. Maybe *this* is where we see the 1+1 of the current (sold out) offering with the overstock of Polyphemus. ...although shipping a magnum with a standard bottle could present packaging problems... unless they use Magnum shippers and wrap the standard bottle in a nice T-Shirt.

Dude, why is everyone still convinced that WD is going to sell you the other 16 cases? You're crazy. He's keeping that for himself and for the others at WW. 16 cases is NOTHING. This is gone. Let it go.

1: Denial (There's still some left, we'll see it again soon!)
2: Anger (Damn those who bought this, I didn't even see it was for sale!)
3: Bargaining (OK WD, here's what we'll do, bundle this with the polyphemus and a t-shirt, I'll buy it!)
4: Depression (We have a whole three days left till the next offering!)
5: Acceptance (Well, at least we know there's some Poizin coming this month)

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

yogawinemom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yogawinemom

hi my name is Krista aka YogaWineMom...I missed it Sold out... can anyone suggest something equivalent to this fine wine. I'm eight months pregnant and looking for something really good post delivery! Thanks!

You can visit my blog at www.cocktailmatch.com/yogawinemom

MaskedMarvel

quality posts: 11 Private Messages MaskedMarvel

DO NOT DRINK YOUR POLYS!!! THAT WAS FROM A PREVIOUS ORDER!!!

My Golden Ticket WAS delivered by Screaming Monkey Express, however... ... And my dog, Roxy...

Thanks WD and everyone in the WW Community!

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron
mfrederick94 wrote:woot, why not Pa this this time around....we love woot wine

If you live in Pennsylvania you need to wootleg out of state. We won't be seeing direct to consumer wine shipment (from out of state) any time soon.

Fortunately, most parts of the state are relatively close to somewhere in New York, Ohio, Virginia, West Virginia, or DC. Make a friend in one of those states.

iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

rooboy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rooboy
andyduncan wrote:(Well, at least we know there's some Poizin coming this month)

Did I miss something? Is Poizin showing-up on this site?

tomatillo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages tomatillo
Lighter wrote:

Nice flare.
Did you use an old fashioned star filter or digital enhance?
Doesn't look like a mesh or smear on the lens.

tomatillo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages tomatillo
rooboy wrote:Did I miss something? Is Poizin showing-up on this site?

Some of us have been whining for it for the upcoming Halloween season. WD seems to acknowledge the whines, but no commitment.
Not only was the wine decent, but the bottle design has been an incredible hit wherever I brought one to share.

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
rooboy wrote:Did I miss something? Is Poizin showing-up on this site?

I have no insider knowledge to share, I just think it's a pretty safe bet. It's been on woot prior to the last two halloweens. People like it. WD likes making money. Armida likes having customers. It's a win-win-win situation.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo
yogawinemom wrote:Hi I'm Krista aka YogaWineMom
I"m so sad its sold out allready. Can someone recommend an equivalent wine. I"m eight months pregnant and looking for something really good post pregnancy.
Thanks,
YogaWineMom

www.cocktailmatch.com/yogawinemom

Hi Krista. If you can find any Nando Chianti in your locale, I think you might like it... chianti is almost always primarily sangiovese, and Nando is great for $10 or less.

My favorite sangiovese is Vino Noceto Sangiovese. Probably very difficult to find unless it shows up here on wine.woot again (I think it will) or if you contact the winery directly.

dnasquesttoblack3000

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dnasquesttoblack3000
andyduncan wrote:I have no insider knowledge to share, I just think it's a pretty safe bet. It's been on woot prior to the last two halloweens. People like it. WD likes making money. Armida likes having customers. It's a win-win-win situation.

i may be out there, but i actually preferred the surfzin by armida. especially since it was a good bit cheaper (maybe 12-ish per bottle versus 20-ish per bottle?).

just throwin in my vote for some surf zin maybe an armida armada again?

the quest:

1. humbug 2. GV's book 3. Wellington 3+mystery (X2) 4. woot norse thingy with funny bottle (X2) 5. va made me buy gundlach, 6. your mumm 7. willy nilly pinots 8. emergency woot wine 9. fake gunbun, 10. ty field 11. tryasipo'dis

kttest

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kttest
yogawinemom wrote:hi my name is Krista aka YogaWineMom...I missed it Sold out... can anyone suggest something equivalent to this fine wine. I'm eight months pregnant and looking for something really good post delivery! Thanks!

You can visit my blog at www.cocktailmatch.com/yogawinemom

Hi, my name is Krista as well, there aren't many of us out there . The Noceto Sangiovese that Speedoo recommends is very good. If you can find it, Seghesio Sangiovese is wonderful!

- Krista
"Wine is the most civilized thing in the world." -Ernest Hemingway.
NYC Tastings Summary courtesy of HAK

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
Corrado wrote:That actually surprises me. Most of the Central Coast wines I've had have been very fruity and jamified to the point of being almost candied. Few, if any, of the wines I've had would fall into the realm of 'food friendly.'

It's really a shame we couldn't get the wine maker here to comment a bit about the fruit, the blend, and the vision for this wine.

I think the woot price has to exceed $18 before we get winemaker participation. Double that during crush.

(should I have made this post in italics?)

CT | | | | | |

jwhite6114

MaskedMarvel wrote:Viking Invasion Thwarted (TMM News Wire)

Department of Homeland Security officials are tight lipped about an unusual attack on American soil today, but anonymous sources confirm a sizeable attempt against US economic interests. Known only as Tøøthstejnn, the attack follows the legendary Saga Of Tøøthstejnn The Red - a Viking warrior dreaded for his southpaw pillaging of pails of Sangiovese from the Bartender to the Gods.

"I was petrified," witness The Masked Marvel almost cried out in the dark. "Thankfully, I noticed his equipment failure, and brought along a few friends for backup."

The Masked Marvel's companions were in complete agreement - the light cherry red colour, light red cherry nose, firm acidity with cherry and cranberry notes hinting at a buttery, mildly spicy finish - this invader was living up to the legend in full.

"I was quite shocked at how easily he went down," TMM added. "All it took was a few grilled kielbasas, some roasted tomato and mozzarella crostinis, and a greek rice recipe. Perhaps it was the acid in the tomatoes, but there were almost no tannins to come to his defense... Quite shocking, indeed."

Forensics experts have the plain cork, devoid of all markings indicating origin, and are running the usual tests.

Sources speculate Tøøthstejnn arrived today to take over the red fruit market in order to beef up his somewhat light body at pennies on the Hack-Silver. Thankfully he lacked the fruit bomb needed to survive, as he was he was easily defeated in under an hour.

Marvel continued, "The Saga was spot on - exactly as we saw him. Now we can put a face with the name. I'd like to take on six or twelve of him at a time. In fact, I'd consider it a gift to have 24 invade at once..."

While quiet on the identity of his friends, TMM News has acquired this photograph of the invader, moments before the fight broke out...

...keep tuned to this station for updates on events as they unfold.

If life in the Hidden Wonder business does not work out, you could always work as a Michael Chabon stand-in!

CT | | | | | |

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney
jwhite6114 wrote:I think the woot price has to exceed $18 before we get winemaker participation. Double that during crush.

probably true, but imagine if you were selling $100,000 in wine (in 1-2 days)...... certainly would be worth the time IMO

CT

jwhite6114

bkarney wrote:probably true, but imagine if you were selling $100,000 in wine (in 1-2 days)...... certainly would be worth the time IMO

it's already sold. why bother now?

Actually, I don't think we've had winery participation for any of the Woot Cellars wines. Part of the mystery ....

CT | | | | | |

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

jwhite6114 wrote:it's already sold. why bother now?

Actually, I don't think we've had winery participation for any of the Woot Cellars wines. Part of the mystery ....

I thought Michael came & talked up the Monkey Prize, but I may be wrong. That was long ago and it was far away (but NOT so much better than it is today).

dnasquesttoblack3000

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dnasquesttoblack3000
Corrado wrote:I thought Michael came & talked up the Monkey Prize, but I may be wrong. That was long ago and it was far away (but NOT so much better than it is today).

yeah i'm pretty sure that was right.

the quest:

1. humbug 2. GV's book 3. Wellington 3+mystery (X2) 4. woot norse thingy with funny bottle (X2) 5. va made me buy gundlach, 6. your mumm 7. willy nilly pinots 8. emergency woot wine 9. fake gunbun, 10. ty field 11. tryasipo'dis

eric9tx

Corrado wrote:I thought Michael came & talked up the Monkey Prize, but I may be wrong. That was long ago and it was far away (but NOT so much better than it is today).

*groan*

213 wooted bottles

CT

jkwest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jkwest
Daystar wrote:Wellingtons DUKE is currently avail

Thank you!!!

The price drops down to $9 a bottle after shipping to NorCal if you sign up for the club, too!!

$108 for the case shipped to my work!! Woot!! I love Wellingtons wines.

2 cases of wine in 2 days...oh carp, I'm in huge trouble...

Wine only comes in one color...Red...

speedoo

jwhite6114 wrote:I think the woot price has to exceed $18 before we get winemaker participation. Double that during crush.

That may be true of recent offerings but there were plenty of sub-$18 wines offered in the past that were accompanied by excellent winemaker participation. If I had more time right now, I could provide a list, but at the top of the list would be the Abandon chardonnay. (WD, how about giving us another shoot at that?)

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

speedoo wrote:That may be true of recent offerings but there were plenty of sub-$18 wines offered in the past that were accompanied by excellent winemaker participation. If I had more time right now, I could provide a list, but at the top of the list would be the Abandon chardonnay. (WD, how about giving us another shoot at that?)

Um, Mandolina.

jwhite6114

speedoo wrote:That may be true of recent offerings but there were plenty of sub-$18 wines offered in the past that were accompanied by excellent winemaker participation. If I had more time right now, I could provide a list, but at the top of the list would be the Abandon chardonnay. (WD, how about giving us another shoot at that?)

yeah ... I was being sarcastic (well, not sarcastic, really, but not-serious). I know we have had some sort of winery participation for most of the wines.

CT | | | | | |

jwhite6114

Corrado wrote:Um, Mandolina.

Mmmmm ... Mandolina. Need more Mandolina, here!

CT | | | | | |

speedoo

He did. Using the name kostermotorsports starting on page 17.

cheron98

Do you know what time it is?

It's time for CLUES!

eric9tx

cheron98 wrote:Do you know what time it is?

It's time for CLUES!

213 wooted bottles

CT

LaVikinga

quality posts: 13 Private Messages LaVikinga
tommythecat78 wrote:Great review, but now I have to go read A Hat Full of Sky and The Wee Free Men again. Not that that is a bad thing, ya ken.

THANK YOU! The words had been floating around my brain ever since I read Lighter's post & I couldn't put my finger on where they came from. I should know better. I'm a closet Discworld junky.

Wine may not heal all things, but it sure will make you feel a whole lot better.

yankeekiwi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages yankeekiwi

RATS RATS RATS!!!! Was laid of from work 5 weeks ago... finally get another job to feed my wine habit so I thought this would be a great way to celebrate! And they are all gone!!!

yankeekiwi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages yankeekiwi
LaVikinga wrote:THANK YOU! The words had been floating around my brain ever since I read Lighter's post & I couldn't put my finger on where they came from. I should know better. I'm a closet Discworld junky.

You mean there are some out there who do not know the Disc World???

LaVikinga

quality posts: 13 Private Messages LaVikinga
yankeekiwi wrote:You mean there are some out there who do not know the Disc World???

Strange as it may seem. I absolutely adore the series. I'm at the beginning of "Moving Pictures." It's been a bit slow going.

Krista,
Hubby and I really like the Umberto Cesare Sangiovese we pick up at Total Wines for under $14 a pop. Our former Skipper & fellow wooter from here in Jacksonville turned turned us on to it. We think it's yummy.

Wine may not heal all things, but it sure will make you feel a whole lot better.

CpprCr8

quality posts: 5 Private Messages CpprCr8
dnasquesttoblack3000 wrote:i may be out there, but i actually preferred the surfzin by armida. especially since it was a good bit cheaper (maybe 12-ish per bottle versus 20-ish per bottle?).

just throwin in my vote for some surf zin maybe an armida armada again?

Me, too! Me, too! I loved the SurfZin! I've been looking for it everywhere, short of ordering it from the winery. (Shipping $$$ to the EC pretty much sux.)

Hey...this is getting too weird. Please tell me that you are married or otherwise NOT single. Or female. Otherwise, there will be much weirdness.

cjsiege & CpprCr8: A girl & a car, living the w.w dream!