Daystar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Daystar
winefarm wrote:you best get moving on the KRP we gave you.

I hope that means what I think it means. I've been waiting.......

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 35 Private Messages ddeuddeg
gcdyersb wrote:

I don't think wine that is designed to age and express its complexity in several years will test well at release (unless the reviewer expects it to develop . . . . how can you seriously rate barrel samples when the wine is in a fetal stage?). I can also offer anecdotal evidence that the wine mags often prefer flabby wine with high residual sugar and no acidity. Some of the 90 pointers they rate are head scratchers as they're pretty one-dimensional grape juice cocktails.

I think the answer to the first comment here is that an experienced winemaker who has tasted wines from the barrel over a number of years, and then paid attention to how they developed, may be in a reasonably good position to make a suitable judgemant about how a given wine will fare over time.
As for your anecdotal evidence re: wine mags, such evidence abounds, and is frequently noted here. You'll find lots of agreement with your position on those head scratchers.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

LoonBoarder

quality posts: 7 Private Messages LoonBoarder

Well, I was about to succumb to the comments here, only to find out that NH was removed from the list. CC safe for now.

And the rest of you got me to review my w.w purchases:
86 bottles since January '08, at an average of 16.68 per.
Thanks, WD! Glad to do my part to keep the wheels of economy spinning!

Dude... wait, what?

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
spdrcr05 wrote:154, since March... Houston, I think I have a problem.

Hilarity, I'm reading your post and swear to god playing with a slinky I keep at my desk for stress, I mean, it walks down stairs. Good stuff.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

rooboy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rooboy

A glorious day!

I have received the golden ticket!

Tonight shall be a great night.

I will report back soon!

gcdyersb

quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb
ddeuddeg wrote:I think the answer to the first comment here is that an experienced winemaker who has tasted wines from the barrel over a number of years, and then paid attention to how they developed, may be in a reasonably good position to make a suitable judgemant about how a given wine will fare over time.
As for your anecdotal evidence re: wine mags, such evidence abounds, and is frequently noted here. You'll find lots of agreement with your position on those head scratchers.

As far as projecting quality with experience, this part makes good sense. And I suppose they often give a score range when the wine is in the pre-bottle stage.

Still, if you taste a wine that has not completed primary fermentation or malo-lactic, you don't know for sure what the ultimate outcome will be. A professional can judge the grape quality and project based on prior vintages from a given winemaker, but final RS, ABV and acidity are still unresolved at that point.

I suppose reviewers do projections for the high end producers, so it is a pretty safe bet the winemakers won't muck things up badly or change the house style mid-fermentation. I just wonder how much of this has to do with knowledge of the wine reviewers are tasting. Would a wine made in the style of a Premiere Cru with grapes from a suitable New World terroir earn the same score an authentic Premiere Cru if the reviewer was told it was made by a Premiere Cru?

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD
bhodilee wrote:Hilarity, I'm reading your post and swear to god playing with a slinky I keep at my desk for stress, I mean, it walks down stairs. Good stuff.

Some people are like slinkies.. You know the rest

dodongo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages dodongo

So my opinion is probably worth its weight in gold :-D But from the 'for whatever it's worth' file, I'd offer up that I'm a Saddleback club member and haven't had a single one of their wines I didn't enjoy. Sure, I have my favorites, but it's really rare to find such across-the-board consistency.

Pretty screaming deal on the cab, folks.

WebBull

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WebBull

This is a good wine from a historic wine maker. All you need to know is that Nils Venge produced the first 100 rated bottle of wine in California when he was the winemaker at Groth in the 80s. Don't read to much into the low WS score since their score system seems to have changed to tasting based on immediate drinkability. You may to celler these wines for a year or two especially the 04.

In for three.

Edit: Bah, just noticed this was in the product info write up. FYI, the write up has it wrong. It's not the 88' that got the first 100, it's the 85' Groth Reserve.

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 157 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines

I have always enjoyed Nils's wines as much as I enjoy his company. He's a great winemaker and these wines are a great deal. It is hard to find Napa Cabernet still made in the old world style like the great BV's of the 50s' and 60's. Nils's Cab is one of them. The low pH's will allow these wines to age and develop wonderfully. I'm in.

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
ScottHarveyWines wrote:I have always enjoyed Nils's wines as much as I enjoy his company. He's a great winemaker and these wines are a great deal. It is hard to find Napa Cabernet still made in the old world style like the great BV's of the 50s' and 60's. Nils's Cab is one of them. The low pH's will allow these wines to age and develop wonderfully. I'm in.

Dag nabbit! Woot needs a filter so that we can "hide" comments from other wine makers on weeks when we are trying to keep our credit cards safe. This just isn't fair!

CT | | | | | |

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
jwhite6114 wrote:Dag nabbit! Woot needs a filter so that we can "hide" comments from other wine makers on weeks when we are trying to keep our credit cards safe. This just isn't fair!

Seriously... I didn't think I was going to go in but.....

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
ScottHarveyWines wrote:I have always enjoyed Nils's wines as much as I enjoy his company. He's a great winemaker and these wines are a great deal. It is hard to find Napa Cabernet still made in the old world style like the great BV's of the 50s' and 60's. Nils's Cab is one of them. The low pH's will allow these wines to age and develop wonderfully. I'm in.

So, do you and Peter get a cut? Cause really, I've not been in this week of four offerings but now you've got me considering it. Damn.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
bhodilee wrote:So, do you and Peter get a cut? Cause really, I've not been in this week of four offerings but now you've got me considering it. Damn.

I was doing so well after the Ursa PS too ..... The Saké began the downfall again ... Somebody help me!!

Current numbers (updated each minute):
First sucker: MaskedMarvel
Speed to first woot: 0m 10.517s

Last wooter to woot: MarkDaSpark

Edit: Was going to wait until labrats checked in, but with Peter (SonomaBouliste/labROUS) & Scott (ScottHarveyWines) both piping in with positive comments (as well as RPM), I had to jump in ...

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

jenludwig

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jenludwig
Cesare wrote:Well since everyone else is doing it.... I have 180 Woot bottles since August 2006. Thank you cellartracker for the info. I think.

Ok, so I think I have 173 bottle since February 2007. Thats not as bad as I thought!

rpm

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rpm

Good enough for me. I wish I could do more than 1, but this week, in this economy, ....

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

rpm

WebBull wrote:This is a good wine from a historic wine maker. All you need to know is that Nils Venge produced the first 100 rated bottle of wine in California when he was the winemaker at Groth in the 80s. Don't read to much into the low WS score since their score system seems to have changed to tasting based on immediate drinkability. You may to celler these wines for a year or two especially the 04.

In for three.

Edit: Bah, just noticed this was in the product info write up. FYI, the write up has it wrong. It's not the 88' that got the first 100, it's the 85' Groth Reserve.

The ''85s generally were very good.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

boaz38

quality posts: 2 Private Messages boaz38

will their be lab rat postings later this weekend? anyone...anyone? ty

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
boaz38 wrote:will their be lab rat postings later this weekend? anyone...anyone? ty

er, yeah, rooboy reported in saying he got a ticket, and that he will report later tonight. patience, young grasshopper.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

boaz38

cheron98 wrote:er, yeah, rooboy reported in saying he got a ticket, and that he will report later tonight. patience, young grasshopper.

im just excited, i have had some of the 90 something Groth wines and they were "dyno-mite"! will go home and open a bottle of the Little V CS and then try to convince the mrs that if she thinks that wine is good...........then the saddleback may blow it away and we should go in for four!! hmmmmm.........truffles could help

rooboy

boaz38 wrote:will their be lab rat postings later this weekend? anyone...anyone? ty

Yes, as indicated previously, I received a golden ticket (2003).

I have a t-bone marinating as well as some sliced potatoes with onion and garlic cooling. The wine went in the cooler at 1:30 and it will be opened at ~6:30 (central). The grill will be turned on at ~7:30.

My wife and I will do our best to "choke-down" this meal and report back.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
rooboy wrote:Yes, as indicated previously, I received a golden ticket (2003).

I have a t-bone marinating as well as some sliced potatoes with onion and garlic cooling. The wine went in the cooler at 1:30 and it will be opened at ~6:30 (central). The grill will be turned on at ~7:30.

My wife and I will do our best to "choke-down" this meal and report back.

Oh don't choke it down. Savor it for all its worth After all, it's not every day you get to be a labrat!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

rpm

SonomaBouliste wrote:That's because these aren't "Spectator style", i.e. overoaked, sweet, Pepsi generation Cabs. Nils is a great winemaker who hasn't followed the trend of making wines for one or two hater's (edit: silly winewoot filter) palates. I think most of the classicly styled, balanced, and ageable Cabernets tend to get mid 80's scores from Parker and Laube (WS). It's the over-the-top, showy but almost undrinkable (and not food friendly) wines that tend to get the highest scores. They stand out when tasting a lot of wines. It's kind of like the most outrageous habanero and chocolate chili winning the chili cookoff, wow! (but who'd want to eat a bowl of it for dinner?).

As we all know, this is because these people do not understand the Cabernet Sauvignon grape. Never have, never will. I told people that the first time I read Parker writing about California Cabernet and compared it to what he wrote about Bordeaux. Wishes his wine was grape juice, as it were. Likes big smells and big tastes and has all the subtlety of 10 Megaton warhead.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

boaz38

one of my favorite cabs is the Silver Oak-Alexander Valley, so i am wondering how the Saddleback will compare...........yah

Loweeel

rpm wrote:As we all know, this is because these people do not understand the Cabernet Sauvignon grape. Never have, never will. I told people that the first time I read Parker writing about California Cabernet and compared it to what he wrote about Bordeaux. Wishes his wine was grape juice, as it were. Likes big smells and big tastes and has all the subtlety of 10 Megaton warhead.

I agree. And that's why I don't find Parker's take on PS to be that offensive; in fact, as TMR first suggested to me, I think he gets PS more than some of the other critics. I concur that his mistake is in wanting CS to be like Lodi PS. I like contrast -- if I want something elegant and less rustic, I'll go for CS, of the right stripe. Obviously, there are ranges in all things, but I don't need my CS to be huge, nor do I want it that way. That's why I've loved the ones I've had that weren't -- Corison (both of them), the Pepper Bridge (my first woot...). And while I probably didn't do it justice by letting it breathe/decant long enough, I was profoundly unimpressed by the '04 Opus One that I had w/ my parents to celebrate passing the bar exam. Don't get me wrong, it was still a pretty damn good wine -- just not what I expected from hearing the reverent tones in which people say the name.

It's just the role that expectations play in winetasting, I guess. I expected to be blown away, and wasn't. (That '97 Caymus Special Select that I had in August, on the other hand... wow.)

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

alfisti13

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alfisti13

Ovaltina, my goat, since you all have been counting how many bottles, of course, I had to do the same. Since joining in March 2008, up to 134 bottles, not including the Rottweiler head sized cheese ball, books, oils. Not to mention the cases of wines purchased outside of woot. My wine cabinet looked fairly impressive this past couple of weeks, as Hurricane Ike wiped out the power of my boss, so I had all his Bordeaux hotties stashed for him, as we got power back soon after. A case of '66 Margaux, '64 Chateau La Tour, some Haute Brions and assorted other lovelies from the late 60's and early 70's. Alas, they are now back in his possession, with nary a bottle given for transport and storage!

Waiting on the rats...fairly cab heavy now, and moneyclip light, but CoulD be persuaded if the reports are stellar. Otherwise, waiting for cooler weather and a paycheck before further purchases. Consumption continues as normal, however!

We have been in many wine libraries with no books, yet so very much to learn...

rooboy

boaz38 wrote:one of my favorite cabs is the Silver Oak-Alexander Valley, so i am wondering how the Saddleback will compare...........yah

Great, as I have had a few bottles of Silver Oak - AV as well. I should be able to compare the two fairly well!

Loweeel

rpm wrote:As we all know, this is because these people do not understand the Cabernet Sauvignon grape. Never have, never will. I told people that the first time I read Parker writing about California Cabernet and compared it to what he wrote about Bordeaux. Wishes his wine was grape juice, as it were. Likes big smells and big tastes and has all the subtlety of 10 Megaton warhead.

RPM, I know you're extremely busy and all, especially this week. And I certainly don't disagree with the above statement.

But one thing that I would absolutely *LOVE* to have is you telling us what CS *is* (and should be), rather than what it isn't, given your extensive knowledge, background, and experience. I think all of us here would really benefit from your sharing this with us.

And you know, WD... this could be a blog post ;).

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05
MarkDaSpark wrote:
Was going to wait until labrats checked in, but with Peter (SonomaBouliste/labROUS) & Scott (ScottHarveyWines) both piping in with positive comments (as well as RPM), I had to jump in ...

See... all I needed was some serious arm twisting too... OWWWWWW Not so hard! All right already.

sheesh... better up my total to 158.

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 240 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
bhodilee wrote:So, do you and Peter get a cut? Cause really, I've not been in this week of four offerings but now you've got me considering it. Damn.

If I did, I'd be shilling every wine, every week. When I get to be labROUS I try to describe wines without saying whether I personally like them or not. When wineries / winemakers that I hold in high esteem show up on w00t I'm not bashful about sharing my opinion. Even though I haven't tasted the Titus PS/PV or these vintages of Saddleback, I know the winemakers and their styles well enough to have great confidence in their wines.

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 240 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
winefarm wrote:Peter...errrr .... LabROUS, i've been male in getting wines to you- sorry. on the other hand, you best get moving on the KRP we gave you. oh, and thanks for giving us some time during harvest. you are the best (yes, i'm jones ing for another blog..)

WD

I'll give you a nice summary of the vintage after it's all over.

cjsiege

quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege
jenludwig wrote:Ok, so I think I have 173 bottle since February 2007. Thats not as bad as I thought!

Wow! If you need a hand drinking those, there are planty of us at the w.w parties who would love to give you a hand!

tlonsammie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tlonsammie
jenludwig wrote:Ok, so I think I have 173 bottle since February 2007. Thats not as bad as I thought!

I may be a lurker on the message board, but I do buy frequently.

Joined January 15, 2007. 57 orders 166 bottles of wine. Cost without shipping $2918.44. Approx retail price without shipping $4478.50. Thank you to JWhite for tracking retail prices.

I recently started keeping a spreadsheet because I was buying more and more and couldn't keep track of the wines and whether or not I liked them. I also track my inventory - 75 bottles on hand.

This week has been a killer for the CC. I didn't plan to buy this last offering, but I can't pass it up with all of the good recommendations.

boatman72

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72

Why would you want to labrat wine that you buy???? You could provide an instant report based on your experience. Sounds like you're goin' cheapster and just want a free bottlle of expensive wine instead of buying it! As the earlier wooter said....
"to the back of the line"

boatman72

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72
eric9tx wrote:So... like Cathy with a mullet?

That was a great response...cracked my bones.

rpm

Loweeel wrote:RPM, I know you're extremely busy and all, especially this week. And I certainly don't disagree with the above statement.

But one thing that I would absolutely *LOVE* to have is you telling us what CS *is* (and should be), rather than what it isn't, given your extensive knowledge, background, and experience. I think all of us here would really benefit from your sharing this with us.

And you know, WD... this could be a blog post ;).

Hmmmm. At least on a quick blog post, I would hestitate to try to say what I think Cabernet Sauvignon is -- a lot better palates than mine and far better writers than me have used truckloads of ink talking about Cabernet Sauvignon. For me, understanding CS has been an evolution that began when I was a wee lad (8 or so) and has continued for more than 50 years. It's been mostly about tasting a lot of wines, and talking about them -- sometimes with people like my grandfather and great uncles all of whom had 80 or so more years experience going back to pre-phylloxera Bordeaux, sometimes with winemakers of more or less experience, and sometimes (equally informatively at times) with people who are just learning about wine. Some reading, but always reading informed by tasting.

At this point, I pretty much relate to Cabernet Sauvignon, and people writing about Cabernet Sauvignon, on a 'gut' instinct - to quote Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart, "I know it when I see it."

I hope that I will have the leisure to write more on this, to try to put my understanding into words better. Those who were on the rpm wine tour, who tasted Cabernet Sauvignon with with me, I think, have a pretty good idea what I have in mind. The first thing to understand it the life cycle of the wines, how the California examples at least, when made in a traditional style, tend to be fresh and fruity when released, and then after a year or so (age 4-6) become 'dumb' or 'dormant' or 'closed' and not especially interesting until they are 8-10 or so. (In traditionally made Bordeaux, they're not even fruity and fresh when young (though that's changed in recent years), but very tannic, and don't even begin to open up until they're 8-10 (about the time good Californai Cabernet Sauvignon 'wakes up' as we used to say). Flavors vary (usually various berries, sometimes olives, etc as flavors from the grape), but the intensity is characteristic, the soil really matters (think Rutherford Dust), and aging brings complexity that few other grapes can match.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
tlonsammie wrote:I may be a lurker on the message board, but I do buy frequently.

Joined January 15, 2007. 57 orders 166 bottles of wine. Cost without shipping $2918.44. Approx retail price without shipping $4478.50. Thank you to JWhite for tracking retail prices.

I recently started keeping a spreadsheet because I was buying more and more and couldn't keep track of the wines and whether or not I liked them. I also track my inventory - 75 bottles on hand.

This week has been a killer for the CC. I didn't plan to buy this last offering, but I can't pass it up with all of the good recommendations.

Glad it helps!

And I like the additional detail you added: how many bottles you have left. Gotta drink 'em!

CT | | | | | |

psmurf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages psmurf
tlonsammie wrote:I may be a lurker on the message board, but I do buy frequently.

Wow. You should(if you haven't) dance to the labrat song. I and others might be interested in your reviews.
~waitin' on rooboy to chime in, and THE debate~

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
Neil Peart(of Rush)

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous

damn you & Peter thrice over! :P

do you know... what biodynamics is?

rooboy

LabRat Report - 03 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

WD – Thank you very much for this opportunity!

This wine, along with the excellent learning environment of winewoot, has greatly expended my understanding of wine, in particular cabernet sauvignon. I now clearly understand old world vs. new world and tannins.

6:30 – uncorked wine:
Smell: dark plum/blueberry
Taste: a touch hot at the start, but quickly disappears, mild tannins, and moderate fruit (this is not a fruit bomb – new world). At this point I rate this as a good to very good wine.

7:00
Smell: dark plum, ash/charcoal
Taste: no heat, slight tannins, light to mild fruit (blueberry?), and light vanilla/oak. At this point I rate this as a delightful wine. This wine slightly reminds me of the 2003 Sadler-Wells Cabernet Sauvignon (in a good way!).

7:30
Smell: light plum
Taste: A bit increase in tannins/heat – now on tip of tongue (before in back of mouth). Mild good fruit taste! Paired well with cracker and olive tapenade. At this point I am set on increasing my original order from 1 to 3 sets.

8:00
Meal: marinated T-bone grilled, grilled sliced potatoes, and salad. Heat returns with moist food, but not in a bad way. The combination of red meat and this wine was excellent! Also, it went well with the chocolate brownie we had for desert!

In the end, I can sum it up by stating what my wife said at the end of the bottle – “Did they only send you one bottle?”

This is an excellent bottle of wine. It is not a big fruit wine. Thus, it doesn’t compare to the likes of Silver Oak – I don’t mean this in a good or bad way. It is just a different style cab, i.e. old world. I very much appreciate it for what it is and am grateful for the opportunity to share my experience with you!