Pixiedoodle11

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Pixiedoodle11

Many sake varieties I have found to be kosher, since they do not contain grapes they are much easier to get certified because they do not require the entire production to be made by shabbat observing jews.

So, I wonder are these certified kosher? I have my orthodox mother in law coming to stay with me for Rosh Hoshana. She LOVES sake, but it has to be kosher.

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
Sakeguy2 wrote:Boy do we hear the "wife won't drink it" line often. Funny thing is our customers tend to skew female. For alot of people its really more of a "my wife hasn't had good saké before." The fruit forwardness of the Organic Ginjo makes it an exceptional white wine, easy to drink, easy to return to. If that doesn't do it pair the Organic Nigori with a rich chocolate brownie and she'll melt. If all else fails get to what for some is the started saké and get your hands on a bottle of Moonstone Plum or Coconut Lemongrass. Then, ease toward the more traditional styles.

Give in. Give in. Do not resist the sakemaster. Have fun.

How about Oreos? Will it pair with Oreos?

CT | | | | | |

martin425

quality posts: 0 Private Messages martin425

my first wine.woot purchase! in for two

daddybush

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daddybush

just gifted 3 as a wedding gift.

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx
bhodilee wrote:that is good stuff, made in California.

In related news I'm a LABRAT on the Organic Junmai so tasting to follow. Might have some people over to help drink it, if not drunken ramblings to follow.

Woohoo! Nice to see Bowtie ratting. I hope you do the bottle solo. This should be entertaining...

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

tripgrad

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tripgrad
Sakeguy2 wrote:Hmm, which movie with each saké. That's a deep quesiton....hmmmmmm
Momokawa Organic Ginjo (Junmai) - Sometimes a Great Notion: Its an Oregon movie. Oregon Author of the book on which it is based and since its about a logging family you will see the some of the Oregon Coast Range where out water comes from. Well, actually our water comes from the other side of the mountains you see but close.
Momokawa Organic Nigori - Chocolat: Chocolate is perfect with Nigori and this movie keeps chocolate on the mind so is perfect for the Organic Nigori. And the scene where dinner is served with seemingly strange foods and chocolate is perfect. Think outside the norm.
G Joy - The Last Samurai: Yeah, I know its Tom Cruise but I really enjoyed this version of a story that brings an American to Japan only to have him fall in love with the culture, the people and the mystique. Its a coming together of two countries which reflects SakéOne and especially G Joy.

Sometimes a Great Notion
Directed by Paul Newman
Cast includes Henry Fonda, Lee Remick, & Richard Jaeckel
Chocolat
Directed by Lasse Hallström
Cast includes Juliette Binoche, Alfred Molina, Carrie-Anne Moss, Judi Dench, & Johnny Depp
The Last Samurai
Directed by Edward Zwick
Film won Award of the Japanese Academy for Best Foreign Film

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

Sakeguy2

quality posts: 29 Private Messages Sakeguy2
jkwest wrote:alright...my question about sake bombs yesterday kind of turned you a bit...sorry bout that...

anywho...The Red Sun...a little sake with some tomato juice...is that overly offensive?...I've gotten wasted waay early in the day off of that mixture...

keep up the honest answering..you are a real champ!

Tomato juice? Waaaa? Kidding. That would be absolutely fine. Mix away. Not worried about mixing with sake, just fast consumption. Heck, we're not even worried about you mixing sake with beer, might be nice. Just don't slam it back.

Sakeguy2

cheron98 wrote:Now that's just mean

Did I mention I have a food & wine pairing blog? Yeah. It's over there at http://www.apairitif.net... If you were to, say, send over a sampler bottle... I could whip up some delicious brownies and post about it...

That reminds me, I'm still two entries behind. Need to get that done tonight.

Didn't you (or someone) mention that the other organic had that coconut flavor to it? How do you feel about cooking WITH sake... like maybe making a German Chocolate Cake with it? Or maybe pairing that same cake with the coconutty sake. I mentioned I don't like coconut, but German Chocolate Cake... mmm.

Edit: Ah, it is the Nigori which has the coconut. Yes. You're evil.

Cooking with saké is a very traditional use of this elixir. Often used in soups, marinades, sauces, saké is wonderful to use in the kitchen. Just be sure to pour a glass for the chef.

We actually had a local chef prepare a dark chocolate cake using or other Nigori (Momokawa Pearl). She replaced the water in the recipe with the saké. WONDERFUL.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
Sakeguy2 wrote:We actually had a local chef prepare a dark chocolate cake using or other Nigori (Momokawa Pearl). She replaced the water in the recipe with the saké. WONDERFUL.

This sounds dangerous. I want some.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
Sakeguy2 wrote:Cooking with saké is a very traditional use of this elixir. Often used in soups, marinades, sauces, saké is wonderful to use in the kitchen. Just be sure to pour a glass for the chef.

We actually had a local chef prepare a dark chocolate cake using or other Nigori (Momokawa Pearl). She replaced the water in the recipe with the saké. WONDERFUL.

I am the chef

Now, about that sampler bottle...

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

Sakeguy2

babalooo wrote:Sakeguy, you got me wondering, do you have any recipes that I could use some Coconut Lemongrass sake in? It's such a distinct taste that I thought maybe since I have 1/2 a bottle left of that one, maybe it lends itself to some dish. I also have some of the Pear sake opened as well.

I don't have any specific recipes on hand but I have used the Coconut Lemongrass mixed with G in a base for steaming clams and mussels. It worked out beautifully. It certainly will do well in Thai recipes, soups,anything that coconut and lemongrass will work in.

Sakeguy2

jwhite6114 wrote:How about Oreos? Will it pair with Oreos?

Awesome with oreos. Oh man, I gotta run out and get some before my dentist appointment. Wouldn't that be fun. Show up at the dentist chewing oreos? Definitely need some Nigori to rinse with.

Oreos, Hostess cupcakes and ding dongs, Twinkies.....oooooohhh Twinkies.

But you gotta have the Organic Nigori to make it work.

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD

First sucker: mill
Speed to first woot: 0m -18.-483s

Last wooter to woot: ERMD

I caved

cheron98

Sakeguy2 wrote:Awesome with oreos. Oh man, I gotta run out and get some before my dentist appointment. Wouldn't that be fun. Show up at the dentist chewing oreos? Definitely need some Nigori to rinse with.

Oreos, Hostess cupcakes and ding dongs, Twinkies.....oooooohhh Twinkies.

But you gotta have the Organic Nigori to make it work.

Okay, you keep saying the Nigori is best with all the sweet stuff. Why is that?

liquidnight

quality posts: 1 Private Messages liquidnight

In for two, my first Wine Woot. In celebration of this wonderful Woot, and to tide my sake craving while my purchase makes it’s way through the US and through the evaporative hands of “friends” favors, I purchased both the Momokawa Silver and Pearl for tasting comparisons yesterday. The Silver was very fragrant, reminiscent of melon, mimosa flowers and very dry. Very nice. I didn't think of doing this but would you recommend drinking from Riedel Chardonnay stemware?

Never made it to the Pearl.

Sakeguy2

cheron98 wrote:Okay, you keep saying the Nigori is best with all the sweet stuff. Why is that?

I like to think of it as the stuff milk goes with. It works great with spicy food as well, and on its own. It just fills in the adult milk niche nicely and has a wonderful way of working with chocolate and other sweets like Twinkies....did I say Twinkies?

The reason it works so well is that it provides a balance of creaminess, sweet and a bit of an edge from the alcohol. Just be sure you are not drinking a light whispy nigori. Some are so thin they are barely nigori.

cheron98

Sakeguy2 wrote:I like to think of it as the stuff milk goes with. It works great with spicy food as well, and on its own. It just fills in the adult milk niche nicely and has a wonderful way of working with chocolate and other sweets like Twinkies....did I say Twinkies?

The reason it works so well is that it provides a balance of creaminess, sweet and a bit of an edge from the alcohol. Just be sure you are not drinking a light whispy nigori. Some are so thin they are barely nigori.

Interesting... and yet the description of "coconut" still scares me...

kyle83uw

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kyle83uw

I'm on the fence...
I actually think I tried some of your Sake @ the wine and food festival in McMinnville about 5 years ago- at the time I really did not enjoy the taste that I had, however I had just recently turned 21, and my palet did not stray beyond pinot's....I now have a much more "experienced" palet shall we say...just ran to World Market and picked up a bottle of the diamond sake- if I enjoy that, then I'll def. be in for at least one. Thanks for the participation in the forums this week too- making it that much harder to resist

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
eric9tx wrote:Woohoo! Nice to see Bowtie ratting. I hope you do the bottle solo. This should be entertaining...

Evidently your wish came true. I will try to post before the slurring and poor typing set in.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

cheron98 wrote:Interesting... and yet the description of "coconut" still scares me...

Don't focus on it, it's coconut in the same vein as your german chocolate cake in that you can taste some coconut, but it's not HEY I'M SOME COCONUT FLAVORED Manos, the Hands of Fate. It's a background player that pokes its head up and says, pssssttt, I'm here.

PS. I frakking hate coconut so that should tell you something. It's more like coconut milk in a curry I'd say.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

cheron98

bhodilee wrote:Don't focus on it, it's coconut in the same vein as your german chocolate cake in that you can taste some coconut, but it's not HEY I'M SOME COCONUT FLAVORED Manos, the Hands of Fate. It's a background player that pokes its head up and says, pssssttt, I'm here.

PS. I frakking hate coconut so that should tell you something. It's more like coconut milk in a curry I'd say.

Okay now that I can handle. That coconut-lemongrass one was like super overpowering coconut and I'm just envisioning that.

bhodilee

cheron98 wrote:Okay now that I can handle. That coconut-lemongrass one was like super overpowering coconut and I'm just envisioning that.

Because it's flavored with coconut. I liked that one as well, I picked up more on the lemongrass though.

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx

Hmm... this is the first wine.woot for 51% of purchasers. Seems ridiculously high.

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

joanty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joanty

Sake One is maybe 30 minutes from here, every japanese restaurant sells the momokawa and moonstone, but the G is a rarity and it's amazing. If you live somewheres around the Portland area, head out there one day and take a tour of the sakery! Finish up the night in the soaking pool next door at the Grand Lodge.

Also, great deal this is. Those three bottles from the Sakery itself would be 44 bucks. That's a whopping 3 dollars!

babalooo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages babalooo

Are there supposed to be two Labrats per bottle, or 6 people getting a golden ticket this week? If so, are we waiting to hear from 5 more 'rats?

cheron98

babalooo wrote:Are there supposed to be two Labrats per bottle, or 6 people getting a golden ticket this week? If so, are we waiting to hear from 5 more 'rats?

Since the twice-a-week went into effect, there's only been 1 rat per bottle. So we're still waiting on 2. And of course, bowtie's drunken ramblings

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 173 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
bhodilee wrote:Don't focus on it, it's coconut in the same vein as your german chocolate cake in that you can taste some coconut, but it's not HEY I'M SOME COCONUT FLAVORED Manos, the Hands of Fate. It's a background player that pokes its head up and says, pssssttt, I'm here.

That's what's holding me back from clicking. I can't have coconut anymore since I OD'd on it in Hawaii (Coconut, coconut milk, etc. at a family friend's house). It's like, what would I do with the Nigori?

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

Aflaedge

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Aflaedge
babalooo wrote:Are there supposed to be two Labrats per bottle, or 6 people getting a golden ticket this week? If so, are we waiting to hear from 5 more 'rats?

Second labrat checking in! I received a golden ticket and a bottle ofSakeOne Organic Nigori a full hour before the heads-up email from WineDavid39. I had a little crowd gathered around my cubicle in the office for the unboxing.

Currently, I am re-arranging dinner plans from cheeseburgers to something that might pair better with this mysterious elixir. While I have sampled sake on quite a few occasions, many from the SakeOne family, this will be my second tasting of a Nigori. Nigori, as I understand it, is quick to oxidize after opening. With that in mind I'll be polishing off the bottle tonight for sure. Since bhodilee has got the "One man, One bottle" angle covered, I'll be having a few friends over to offset any of my inexperience and to keep my review coherent.

Back in a bit...

Wines this wooter has wooted
  • Vino Noceto Sangiovese & Zin 3+1 (QTY 1)
  • Sierra Club Chardonnay Quartet (QTY 1)
  • Parker Station Critter Quartet (QTY 1)
  • Jepson Winery Mendocino Mix (QTY 1)
  • Vina Robles Quartet (QTY 1)
  • Wine 0' Elvis (QTY 1)
  • SakeOne Sake Quartet (QTY 1)
  • Woot Cellars Humbug Crate w/shirt (QTY 1)
  • Mandolina Woot-off 4 Pack (QTY 1)
  • SakeOne Sake Sampler Trio (QTY 1)

bhodilee

Prelimary Report on the Organic Junmai

Junmai First Impressions: More to follow, this is just a first sip to see what I should have with dinner.

First off, the Junmai has a little cloudy appearance in the glass. This isn't to say it's milky, but it's not perfectly clear either. I like it. The nose is Sake all the way, little citrusy note but I'm getting mostly rice. Flavor is perfectly balanced, seriously where's the alcohol? Wherever it is, it is NOT on the palate. This isn't your jet fuel type sake. Flavor wise, it's citrusy with a coconut milk back. The coconut flavor is kinda there but not in an overpowering way. By the way I'm drinking this maybe around 68 degrees. Rest of the bottle is in the Fridge. The finish is long and smooth, reminds me A LOT of rice pudding if that makes sense. So far this is a great understated, smooth Sake. I think I'll go with something Mild for dinner as I dont' think it's big enough for spicy dishes. Vietnamese place I frequent is closed on Tuesday nights so dinner is up in the air. I'm thinking Chinese since there are many places to choose from. I dunno though. Back later as a reply and a part two. So far I'm very happy to have been in for three, they're not gonna last long.

Sakeguy2

Pixiedoodle11 wrote:Many sake varieties I have found to be kosher, since they do not contain grapes they are much easier to get certified because they do not require the entire production to be made by shabbat observing jews.

So, I wonder are these certified kosher? I have my orthodox mother in law coming to stay with me for Rosh Hoshana. She LOVES sake, but it has to be kosher.

No, our apologies but they are not certified Kosher. We did have a Rabbi discuss the process with us at a tradeshow and its on our mind. By the way, the Rabbi took to bottles home with him noting that there is nothing keeping it from being Kosher but the certification itself and boy do they taste good. Hmmm.

npickett

quality posts: 0 Private Messages npickett

today by fedex I received a bottle of G Joy. It's now in the fridge and I'm trying to find people willing to assist me with the review. I'm not very familiar with sake but I'm looking forward to impressing you all with my ignorance. I'll pop it open tonight (or is that twist it open?) and give at least a preliminary review.

-Nancy

Sakeguy2

cheron98 wrote:Interesting... and yet the description of "coconut" still scares me...

The coconut is very subtle, its more a note than a dominant characteristic. There is probably more of a banana tone than coconut. Coconut is a note that I get out of many Nigoris. Banana on the other hand takes our secret yeast and a whole lot of attention. Mmmmmmm.

Just think of the flavor notes as suggestions of what others find in the saké. Like wine tasting notes. You may taste it and get more anise, cream or berries.

Sakeguy2

kyle83uw wrote:I'm on the fence...
I actually think I tried some of your Sake @ the wine and food festival in McMinnville about 5 years ago- at the time I really did not enjoy the taste that I had, however I had just recently turned 21, and my palet did not stray beyond pinot's....I now have a much more "experienced" palet shall we say...just ran to World Market and picked up a bottle of the diamond sake- if I enjoy that, then I'll def. be in for at least one. Thanks for the participation in the forums this week too- making it that much harder to resist

Thank you for the honest feedback. If you tried any of our sake 5 years ago you will certainly find a change in the Diamond you purchased. New yeasts, new processes that Greg has incorporated have all enhanced flavor and quality greatly in the past 4 years.

Do know that none of the sake in this set will be similar to Diamond - G may have some similar notes but very little. Diamond is a very good saké, actually one of our best sellers over the years.

If you live in the NW you should stop by our tasting room and take a tour. We're open from 11 am til 5 pm and tours are at 1, 2, and 3 pm. There is a lot to learn and first hand is so much more informative than my random typing.

Sakeguy2

MarkDaSpark wrote:That's what's holding me back from clicking. I can't have coconut anymore since I OD'd on it in Hawaii (Coconut, coconut milk, etc. at a family friend's house). It's like, what would I do with the Nigori?

See the note I just posted and forget I mentioned coconut. It is very subtle, just one of many flavors and you may not even find it. No Pina Colada here, none of that coconut milk, no additives, just naturally occurring flavors.

Click and you'll not be overwhelmed with coconut.

Sakeguy2

joanty wrote:Sake One is maybe 30 minutes from here, every japanese restaurant sells the momokawa and moonstone, but the G is a rarity and it's amazing. If you live somewheres around the Portland area, head out there one day and take a tour of the sakery! Finish up the night in the soaking pool next door at the Grand Lodge.

Also, great deal this is. Those three bottles from the Sakery itself would be 44 bucks. That's a whopping 3 dollars!

If you can stop by our tasting room it may be a $3 savings but if like most folks I've chatted with you are not in a reasonable driving distance you'll be adding about $19 to the $44 price tag for a whopping $63. The woot is a deal unless you can pop by in person. Then again, with the price of a gallon of gas, I hope you leave really close.

Sakeguy2

Aflaedge wrote:Second labrat checking in! I received a golden ticket and a bottle ofSakeOne Organic Nigori a full hour before the heads-up email from WineDavid39. I had a little crowd gathered around my cubicle in the office for the unboxing.

Currently, I am re-arranging dinner plans from cheeseburgers to something that might pair better with this mysterious elixir. While I have sampled sake on quite a few occasions, many from the SakeOne family, this will be my second tasting of a Nigori. Nigori, as I understand it, is quick to oxidize after opening. With that in mind I'll be polishing off the bottle tonight for sure. Since bhodilee has got the "One man, One bottle" angle covered, I'll be having a few friends over to offset any of my inexperience and to keep my review coherent.

Back in a bit...

Don't worry too much about oxidation. Just cap and chill if there is anything left. No worries for up to a week. I have a Momokawa Pearl in my fridge for a month and its tasting groovy.

Sakeguy2

bhodilee wrote:Prelimary Report on the Organic Junmai

Junmai First Impressions: More to follow, this is just a first sip to see what I should have with dinner.

First off, the Junmai has a little cloudy appearance in the glass. This isn't to say it's milky, but it's not perfectly clear either. I like it. The nose is Sake all the way, little citrusy note but I'm getting mostly rice. Flavor is perfectly balanced, seriously where's the alcohol? Wherever it is, it is NOT on the palate. This isn't your jet fuel type sake. Flavor wise, it's citrusy with a coconut milk back. The coconut flavor is kinda there but not in an overpowering way. By the way I'm drinking this maybe around 68 degrees. Rest of the bottle is in the Fridge. The finish is long and smooth, reminds me A LOT of rice pudding if that makes sense. So far this is a great understated, smooth Sake. I think I'll go with something Mild for dinner as I dont' think it's big enough for spicy dishes. Vietnamese place I frequent is closed on Tuesday nights so dinner is up in the air. I'm thinking Chinese since there are many places to choose from. I dunno though. Back later as a reply and a part two. So far I'm very happy to have been in for three, they're not gonna last long.

Are you drinking the Junmai Ginjo or Nigori? You noted its a bit cloudy but clear. If it is the Nigori BE SURE TO SHAKE IT UP. Nigori's must be shaken to mix up all that settled out.

If its the Ginjo (Junmai) and its a bit cloudy it simply needs to rest and chill. I had a bottle in Hawaii that was a bit cloudy and the next day it was clear. The bit of fogginess comes in part from the fact Greg does not overly fine (clarify) the Ginjo which may leave some bits that bond together. The result is all the flavor in the glass.

Please be sure to let your shipments relax a day or two before chilling and drinking. Like wine they need to relax and get over the shock of being manhandled by the UPS guys-and girls.

And, SHAKE THE NIGORI.

Sakeguy2

bhodilee wrote:Prelimary Report on the Organic Junmai

bhodilee, thank you for your notes. Very happy that you are enjoying the saké and are glad you went in for 3. We look forward to any more notes you have to share on the saké.

I understand the numbers are cranking up the scale and its time to get serious and commit for those who have not. Don't take my word for how wonderful these saké are, look at bhodilee's and other's who have shared about G and our other saké.

Click in. Time's a ticking the saké is waiting for a good home.

Sakeguy2

npickett wrote:today by fedex I received a bottle of G Joy. It's now in the fridge and I'm trying to find people willing to assist me with the review. I'm not very familiar with sake but I'm looking forward to impressing you all with my ignorance. I'll pop it open tonight (or is that twist it open?) and give at least a preliminary review.

Do let it warm a bit when you take it out of the fridge. G is very nice when cold but a slight chill is our recommended range of temp.

Important to note that about 99% of American's are clueless when it comes to saké so you all have just jumped into the 1% ranking. Congrats.

Sakeguy2

Cellaring Saké

Key to aging saké is to not age saké. We are aging it for you and will bottle it when its ready to drink. Then all you have to do is chill and enjoy with in about 12 months of bottling to be sure its a close to our Tojii's desire flavor. It won't go bad, it will simply change and not taste like you might remember it.