yathink2

quality posts: 4 Private Messages yathink2
psmurf wrote:Yeah(near Macon), and according to MapQuest- 271 miles from Jacksonville.
I appreciate the offer. It would be great to taste, share, and learn more about wines, and to meet new friends. But it is a little too far for me at this time, and my employer( a small company) actually needs me 5-6 days/week. Sometimes it's not so nice to be needed... really.
Can I get a rain check(we might be seeing plenty of it soon)?

true dat, yes you would be welcome anytime

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
MarkDaSpark wrote:Labrat Report - Ursa Vineyards Petite Sirah Sierra Foothills Part 1:

Day 74 (Sept. 3, 2008):
4:10 PM PDT: Waited patiently (well, mostly) in the blind for the Golden Ticket Petite Sirah. Upon sighting my prey, one of the rare Ursa Vineyards Petite Sirah Sierra Foothills, I drew a steady bead and bagged it. Unfortunately, due to the heat on the savanna, the body temp was 87deg, so immediately placing it in the proper cooling vessel (wine cooler) in order to preserve its’ freshness, I return to camp.

My native bearers (JavaDrinker and TimByrd) are anxiously awaiting my return with the trophy to properly prepare it for the sacred rites.

Will let it chill down a little prior to opening a vein to let the blood drain into the sacred decanting vessel (a WD exclusive offer).

Part 2 will commence approximately at 1840 hours (6:40 pm PDT). However, due to the length of the hunt, there will be additional parts commented during the evening.

Edit: BTW, there were plenty of clear "ketchup" packs in the box. Must have been on the truck too long though.

Labrat Report - Ursa Vineyards Petite Sirah Sierra Foothills Part 2:

Day 74 (Sept. 3, 2008):
8:15 PM PDT: After draining the blood into the WD supplied sacred vessel, we allowed it to sit, tasting at several intervals.

Java was smelling a candy aroma, which we later determined to be violet. Softer tannins than expected. After 3 hours decanting, it is starting to open more. Tannins are different, a little stronger, but not bad.

Tim agrees that there is more on the nose now. We all agree more time is needed on decanting.

more to come ....

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

afranke

quality posts: 10 Private Messages afranke
Winedavid39 wrote:Have fun storming the castle boys !

A vertical of Catapult?

I know foreign wines are generally improbable, but I enjoy guessing...

On second thought, it's gotta be Eagle Castle Winery. Just check out their building...

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan

Maybe something for the Brut squad?

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

Said by Miracle Max, played by Billy Crystal.

I find a Crystal Basin Winery and a Crystal Valley Winery.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

afranke

quality posts: 10 Private Messages afranke
coynedj wrote:Said by Miracle Max, played by Billy Crystal.

Or perhaps Miracle Valley Vineyard, wine.woot's first VA offering?

pengu1n

quality posts: 13 Private Messages pengu1n
ArcheDiver wrote:Castle Vineyards Winery? or is that just too obvious?

If it is Castle Vineyards I will have to get a double as the wife and I really liked all of the wines we got on the last offering.

MaskedMarvel

quality posts: 11 Private Messages MaskedMarvel

CANNONBAAALLLLLLLL!!!!!!!

EDIT - KTHXHAK

MarkDaSpark

MarkDaSpark wrote:Labrat Report - Ursa Vineyards Petite Sirah Sierra Foothills Part 2:

Day 74 (Sept. 3, 2008):
8:15 PM PDT: After draining the blood into the WD supplied sacred vessel, we allowed it to sit, tasting at several intervals.

Java was smelling a candy aroma, which we later determined to be violet. Softer tannins than expected. After 3 hours decanting, it is starting to open more. Tannins are different, a little stronger, but not bad.

Tim agrees that there is more on the nose now. We all agree more time is needed on decanting.

more to come ....

MarkDaSpark wrote:Labrat Report - Ursa Vineyards Petite Sirah Sierra Foothills Part 1:

Day 74 (Sept. 3, 2008):
4:10 PM PDT: Waited patiently (well, mostly) in the blind for the Golden Ticket Petite Sirah. Upon sighting my prey, one of the rare Ursa Vineyards Petite Sirah Sierra Foothills, I drew a steady bead and bagged it. Unfortunately, due to the heat on the savanna, the body temp was 87deg, so immediately placing it in the proper cooling vessel (wine cooler) in order to preserve its’ freshness, I return to camp.

My native bearers (JavaDrinker and TimByrd) are anxiously awaiting my return with the trophy to properly prepare it for the sacred rites.

Will let it chill down a little prior to opening a vein to let the blood drain into the sacred decanting vessel (a WD exclusive offer).

Part 2 will commence approximately at 1840 hours (6:40 pm PDT). However, due to the length of the hunt, there will be additional parts commented during the evening.

Edit: BTW, there were plenty of clear "ketchup" packs in the box. Must have been on the truck too long though.

Labrat Report - Ursa Vineyards Petite Sirah Sierra Foothills Part 3:

Day 74 (Sept. 3, 2008):
9:10 PM PDT: Java thinks it has gotten tight after 4 hours of decanting. Getting alchohol on the nose. No fruit on palate.

Tannins are big now. Java and I agree that it needs more time in the decanter, but that it will come back (fruit, etc.)

Tim has laid down to rest ...... so Java and I are going thru his wine cellar ...

more to come ....

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

wootvirgin69

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wootvirgin69
yathink2 wrote:mmmmmmm....amano? but how does that fit in with stormin the castle?

Miracle Max used CHOCOLATE COATING for his miracle pill. I have to say, I think that's too ambiguous. I am soooooo rooting for the Spaniard...both for myself and for Cheron!!

All together now - SPAN-IARD, SPAN-IARD, SPAN-IARD!!!

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
MaskedMarvel wrote:CANNONBAAALLLLLLLL!!!!!!!

Bad link. I fixed it for ya.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink
MarkDaSpark wrote:Labrat Report - Ursa Vineyards Petite Sirah Sierra Foothills Part 3:
more to come ....

OK, guys, 40 minutes until the offer's over. For those of us actually waiting on your report it's getting close.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
MarkDaSpark wrote:Labrat Report - Ursa Vineyards Petite Sirah Sierra Foothills Part 3:

Day 74 (Sept. 3, 2008):
9:10 PM PDT: Java thinks it has gotten tight after 4 hours of decanting. Getting alchohol on the nose. No fruit on palate.

Tannins are big now. Java and I agree that it needs more time in the decanter, but that it will come back (fruit, etc.)

Tim has laid down to rest ...... so Java and I are going thru his wine cellar ...

more to come ....

the sudden alcohol on the nose could be a sign of it dying even with a big grip of tannins.

MarkDaSpark

Day 74 (Sept. 3, 2008):

more to come ....

Labrat Report - Ursa Vineyards Petite Sirah Sierra Foothills Part 4:

Day 74 (Sept. 3, 2008):
9:45 PM PDT: Less alchohol on the nose and palate. Java thinks (he was shuddering as he said this) Clayfu might be right. I'm not sure, I think. Tim is getting less fruit, more aged wine smell.

Java got some pepper that time.

If you buy now, drink before 5 years. Don't decant too long. Went well with the lamb kabobs.

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
MarkDaSpark wrote:Labrat Report - Ursa Vineyards Petite Sirah Sierra Foothills Part 4:

Day 74 (Sept. 3, 2008):
9:45 PM PDT: Less alchohol on the nose and palate. Java thinks (he was shuddering as he said this) Clayfu might be right. I'm not sure, I think. Tim is getting less fruit, more aged wine smell.

If you buy now, drink before 5 years. Don't decant too long. Went well with the lamb kabobs.

i'm far more interested about those lamb kabobs! are they from the Persian place off the 5?
And Java never shudders, cause he knows I'm right =P

MarkDaSpark

clayfu wrote:i'm far more interested about those lamb kabobs! are they from the Persian place off the 5?

No. Open Sesame in Long Beach (Belmont Shore)

MarkDaSpark

Thanks WD, for the opportunity to Labrat the Ursa PS Sierra Foothills.

Just wondering where all the other labrats were?

fendie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fendie

Got mine this morning. Very nice speed for Texas!

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney
fendie wrote:Got mine this morning. Very nice speed for Texas!

Was there a golden ticket in there by any chance - and delivered via FedEx???

CT

bkarney

clayfu wrote:i'm far more interested about those lamb kabobs! are they from the Persian place off the 5?

So what's the consensus here, decant 2 hours....of course trying as you go but is that the sweet-spot?

CT

fendie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fendie
bkarney wrote:Was there a golden ticket in there by any chance - and delivered via FedEx???

No, I am not even signed up to labrat. It was my order (all 3), and was via UPS. The shipping information was not even available until this morning. However, it does say on the tracking page that it left Cali at 10 AM on Tuesday.

chad1323ross

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chad1323ross

Yea! I just got my golden ticket delivery from FedEx. Paso Robles LabRat action comin' at ya! I know its a bit late for the offering, but my notes/review/ramblings will be posted here this evening.

222 bottles and counting.

MarkDaSpark

bkarney wrote:So what's the consensus here, decant 2 hours....of course trying as you go but is that the sweet-spot?

Possibly less. It was about 2 hours before we tasted, my fault, running late getting food, and everything else.

Taste when you open, and at intervals during decant to find sweet spot.

Edit: and my 2 sets are scheduled for delivery today. Yea!!

paryb

quality posts: 17 Private Messages paryb

Holy Carp Batman! I received mine today!

189 Bottles of wine from Woot so far!
$3319.36or a mere $17.56 per bottle.

wine.woot Keeping Paryb in the red(and sometimes white) since 5/9/2007

davidgrahammd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages davidgrahammd

Labrattage from IL...

package arrived (totally unexpectedly) at work today

decanting and tasting notes to follow in a few hours

chad1323ross

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chad1323ross

Official Lab Rat Report:
Ursa Vineyards 05 Petite Sirah Paso Robles

Opened and decanted at 3:45 pm. Good cork, no bad smells.

Very dark purple in color - almost like 'plum juice' was a comment.

Nose: heavy fruit - plumbs and berries. blue berries! certainly an alcohol tinge to it. somewhat astringent

Heavy dark fruit on first sip. Plumbs, dark berries and blueberries! slight spice. very low or very smooth tannins

515p poured a sip - tannins have tightened up. fruit has subsided. cherries - sweet, almost. very long wonderful finish. still some of that wonderful blueberry. less spicy.

530 more blueberries again this time. tannins seem to have mellowed quickly after last sip.

600 drank with a variety cheese and crackers - really changed the wine. more pepper and spice to the forefront. delicious!

All in all, a very good wine. I enjoyed it, though I'd say it was a bit more mellow or, i dunno, 'soft' than most PS I've had.

Rob, who's enjoying this wine with me, says it kinda lacks that typical ps punch. kinda mellow, but very good. nice long finish - chocolates? and pepper.

222 bottles and counting.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
chad1323ross wrote:Official Lab Rat Report:

Nose: heavy fruit - plumbs and berries. blue berries! certainly an alcohol tinge to it. somewhat astringent

Heavy dark fruit on first sip. Plumbs, dark berries and blueberries! slight spice. very low or very smooth tannins

515p poured a sip - tannins have tightened up. fruit has subsided. cherries - sweet, almost. very long wonderful finish. still some of that wonderful blueberry. less spicy.

530 more blueberries again this time. tannins seem to have mellowed quickly after last sip.

600 drank with a variety cheese and crackers - really changed the wine. more pepper and spice to the forefront. delicious!

All in all, a very good wine. I enjoyed it, though I'd say it was a bit more mellow or, i dunno, 'soft' than most PS I've had.

Rob, who's enjoying this wine with me, says it kinda lacks that typical ps punch. kinda mellow, but very good. nice long finish - chocolates? and pepper.

Thanks for the report You're packed!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

davidgrahammd

Decanted the bottle of 2005 Vineyard PS at 7.

At 830 there was still some tannin and bite to it but the fruit was starting to come through.

At 9 (2 hours in the decanter) it was a totally different experience. The tannins greatly mellowed. The fruit and a hint of pepper was much more to the front.

This is not a big flavor overpowering wine. It will go well with fowl, cheeses, etc. The basalmic vinegar sold a few weeks ago would complement it tremendously. It could easily be dominated by a hearty red pasta or cut of beef.

Lets just say...we cannot wait to have more

We both really enjoyed it and greatly look forward to the other bottles on their way.

MarkDaSpark

davidgrahammd wrote:Decanted the bottle of 2005 PS at 7.

At 830 there was still some tannin and bite to it but the fruit was starting to come through.

At 9 (2 hours in the decanter) it was a totally different experience. The tannins greatly mellowed. The fruit and a hint of pepper was much more to the front.

This is not a big flavor overpowering wine. It will go well with fowl, cheeses, etc. The basalmic vinegar sold a few weeks ago would complement it tremendously. It could easily be dominated by a hearty red pasta or cut of beef.

We both really enjoyed it and greatly look forward to the other bottles on their way.

Which bottle was it? Sierra, Paso, or Vineyard?

davidgrahammd

My bottle was the Vineyard. Sorry about not including that originally. I have amended the previous post to include that.

ursamakers

quality posts: 10 Private Messages ursamakers
davidgrahammd wrote:Decanted the bottle of 2005 Vineyard PS at 7.

thanks for your comments. yes, the vineyard blend is the most accessable. glad you enjoyed it.

ursamakers

chad1323ross wrote:Official Lab Rat Report:

it's so interesting to hear what folks think. thanks for the serious attention you've paid to this wine. now i want some chocolate.

ursamakers

MarkDaSpark wrote:Labrat Report - Ursa Vineyards Petite Sirah Sierra Foothills Part 4:

Day 74 (Sept. 3, 2008):

mr. daspark - it's really good to read your report. i'm inspired to do more expiramentation with not only our wines, but the wines we have for fun. thank you for the time & consideration.

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph

They arrived tonight - the fastest I have received ANY wine.woot shipment - awesome! Thanks Ursa!

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

bkarney

fairnymph wrote:They arrived tonight - the fastest I have received ANY wine.woot shipment - awesome! Thanks Ursa!

Well it's official, I have a problem.... Now it's messing with my lunch schedule as I see Big Brown unloading his truck as I type, and....well, let's just say the guys are going to have to order lunch for me cause my butt isn't moving till I have those beautiful boxes in hand! Thanks on the super fast delivery on these WD!

Edit: Wow, I can't say enough about the new packaging, the InZINerator box and bottles were in perfect condition. The Ursa bottles were also ok but the box on the other hand.... was obliterated - as well as the styrofoam (thanks UPS!). If these had been packed in the cardboard that was previously being used there is no way they would have made it intact. To date, 13 orders with a 100% success rate - despite living in hot-ass S FL, couldn't be happier!

CT

tauwyt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tauwyt

well, I'm just wondering if this has been shipped out yet. I got the tracking number 2 days after I ordered but it still just says "Billing info received"... been 10 days and it still hasn't shipped?

kraciwo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kraciwo
tauwyt wrote:well, I'm just wondering if this has been shipped out yet. I got the tracking number 2 days after I ordered but it still just says "Billing info received"... been 10 days and it still hasn't shipped?

Same thing here...

Cesare

quality posts: 1618 Private Messages Cesare

Mine just hit the UPS system in IL. Scheduled for delivery in NY on Wednesday.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber