+ Add a Comment

auggie24

quality posts: 23 Private Messages auggie24
nothinghead wrote:
Since I've suddenly decided to become a forum poster, what do you experts think is the drinking window for last year's Humbug? I still have at least one (maybe two) bottles left and I'm wondering if I should make them a priority or not.

Here's what I would call a review that encapsulates most people's responses. First couple of bottles so-so. The later ones, better.

Many of the posters in the Humbug thread talked about how it got better with more decanting. The gist of the reviews I read make it seem like it was a medium-price point young wine. Which means it could stand a year or more in the bottle. That being said, since it is medium price-point, you don't want to wait too long to drink it.

I picked up the 3-pack and shirt last year. I gifted one, but still have the other two. I will definitely be cracking one of these this holiday season, and if it seems tamed down from previous comments, will probably crack the other one, too. If not, I will save it for Christmas 2009.

Hope that helps.

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

mfelske wrote:Updated tally:

Red - Cab:8 Zin:4 Merlot:6 Alicante Bouschet(Noir):1 Syrah:1
Orange - Zin:4 Merlot:1 Syrah:2
Green - Zin:3 Grenache:2 Syrah:2
Blue - Grenache:1

I may further prove myself the amateur I am, but in drinking a 2004 Wellington Merlot tonight, I don't know that I could talk myself into it being a Zinfandel. I don't know that I'd peg it as a Merlot right off the bat, but knowing that it's a Merlot, I wouldn't guess Zin.

C'mon, WD, I'm lobbing softballs up here for you to hit outta the park. I'll make it easier and dramatic -- there's no WAY the red or orange are Merlot. Take THAT!!

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

mewalk707

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mewalk707

I had help tasting my bottle of mystery wine. Two friends who both instantly said merlot. One of these friends is a winemaker, the other his wife. Her father is also a winemaker. Now, if only I could be so positive in remembering what color my stupid dot was. I'm pretty sure it was green.

Of all the other guesses posted here no one with green has guessed merlot. I have seen grenache, syrah, and zin. The other colors that have been guessed as merlot are red and orange.

No matter who is right... this has been fun!

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
mewalk707 wrote:I had help tasting my bottle of mystery wine. Two friends who both instantly said merlot. One of these friends is a winemaker, the other his wife. Her father is also a winemaker. Now, if only I could be so positive in remembering what color my stupid dot was. I'm pretty sure it was green.

Of all the other guesses posted here no one with green has guessed merlot. I have seen grenache, syrah, and zin. The other colors that have been guessed as merlot are red and orange.

Well, that's further support for the following breakdown on the Bordeaux style bottles:

Red: Cab
Orange: Zin
Green: Merlot

Even if it's the only explicit vote for merlot=green, all the votes for Orange and Red being Zin and Cab are more or less votes for merlot being green.

FWIW, we're drinking the 2004 Sonoma County Cab tonight with steaks. It's been so long since I had the mystery bottles *cough* *cough*, but I don't taste anything to make me want to change my answer of Red=Cab, Orange=Zin.

Again, I could just be digging myself deeper into my giant hole of wrong.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

mewalk707 wrote:I had help tasting my bottle of mystery wine. Two friends who both instantly said merlot. One of these friends is a winemaker, the other his wife. Her father is also a winemaker. Now, if only I could be so positive in remembering what color my stupid dot was. I'm pretty sure it was green.

As andy said, Green was a bordeaux bottle and the Syrah & Grenache come in a Burgundy bottle (at least the current Wellingtons do), so *I* would write those guesses off as incorrect based on bottle shape alone.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

bahwm

quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm

I finally found that paper and at least one of my votes differs from that of ddeuddeg. So, here it goes, update the unofficial tally please. I decided that the orange was a Syrah; the red a merlot and the green a zin. I don't feel any type of expertise here! Maybe WD could send some of the Mystery Wines for the SoCal Tasting in Vegas Nov. 15th : )

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

pah53

quality posts: 3 Private Messages pah53

We must be the only ones who thought the green dot was a very young Cab.....

kramsauer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kramsauer

Why have we not seen the official word?

andyduncan

pah53 wrote:We must be the only ones who thought the green dot was a very young Cab.....

The updated tallys, with apologies to mfelske for stepping on toes:

Red - Cab:8 Merlot:7 Zin:4 Alicante Bouschet(Noir):1 Syrah:1
Orange - Zin:4 Syrah:3 Merlot:1
Green - Zin:4 Grenache:3 Syrah:2 Merlot:1 Cab:1

UPDATED: 10/19/4:50pm PDT

bahwm

andyduncan wrote:The updated tallys, with apologies to mfelske for stepping on toes:

Red - Cab:8 Merlot:6 Zin:4 Alicante Bouschet(Noir):1 Syrah:1
Orange - Zin:4 Syrah:3 Merlot:1
Green - Zin:3 Grenache:3 Syrah:2 Merlot:1 Cab:1

Andy, it doesn't look like you included my votes in your updated tally! Please see todays posting at 12:19 AM! Thanks--for what they're worth!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

andyduncan

bahwm wrote:Andy, it doesn't look like you included my votes in your updated tally! Please see todays posting at 12:19 AM! Thanks--for what they're worth!

Whoops, had added your orange=Syrah, but not the others. fixed.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

I still feel pretty strong about green being Zin. I called the red Cab, but won't feel too ashamed if it is Merlot. I mainly went with Cab since I liked it, and I have not been a fan of Merlot until Wellington and Ty Caton.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

bahwm

polarbear22 wrote:I still feel pretty strong about green being Zin. I called the red Cab, but won't feel too ashamed if it is Merlot. I mainly went with Cab since I liked it, and I have not been a fan of Merlot until Wellington and Ty Caton.

I feel like I'm in good company!

Thanks, PB!

andyduncan

Not a single pink dot guess yet. Strange.

auggie24

polarbear22 wrote:I still feel pretty strong about green being Zin. I called the red Cab, but won't feel too ashamed if it is Merlot. I mainly went with Cab since I liked it, and I have not been a fan of Merlot until Wellington and Ty Caton.

We had a friend over who enjoys reds. We had a Wellington Cab directly after the mystery one (red dot- previously reported for those tracking). It was very different from the cab we had, so after looking at the descriptions online, came away thinking it was merlot...

auggie24

andyduncan wrote:Not a single pink dot guess yet. Strange.

Pink = Pinot Grigio. Of course, I didn't have a pink dot, so this is a wholly uninformed guess. ;-)

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
auggie24 wrote:Pink = Pinot Grigio. Of course, I didn't have a pink dot, so this is a wholly uniformed guess. ;-)

Of course, since Wellington doesn't make a Pinot Grigio, and since PG isn't red, you are either more uninformed than you realize, or (more likely), surely you must be joking.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

auggie24

ddeuddeg wrote:Of course, since Wellington doesn't make a Pinot Grigio, and since PG isn't red, you are either more uninformed than you realize, or (more likely), surely you must be joking.

Oops.

Edit: At first typed Chardonnay, but decided that would be too easy...

1111 posts. I type too much.

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity

OK, I'll chime in. Wwas this really what you were after WD?

I only purchased one; I received a green dot, and hesitated between Zin and Grenache, but only for a moment. I entered my guess as Zinfandel. I ever so briefly considered Merlot, but it just didn't taste like I remember Merlot tasting, and Merlot was one of the few Wellington Wines I've not tasted.

luckyinla

quality posts: 5 Private Messages luckyinla
sanity wrote:OK, I'll chime in. Wwas this really what you were after WD?

I only purchased one; I received a green dot, and hesitated between Zin and Grenache, but only for a moment. I entered my guess as Zinfandel. I ever so briefly considered Merlot, but it just didn't taste like I remember Merlot tasting, and Merlot was one of the few Wellington Wines I've not tasted.

I also only purchased one, and it was a green dot. I was in the minority that guessed merlot, particularly because of the short finish...(but what do I know?)

The wine seems to be very closed-in and seems to have entered a dumb stage. Sort of a Marcel Meursault.
Paul S. Winalski

my cellartracker
The best use of bad wine is to drive away poor relations.
French proverb

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
andyduncan wrote:Again, I could just be digging myself deeper into my giant hole of wrong.

I cringe every time I post in this thread for exactly this reason.

CT | | | | | |

jwhite6114

auggie24 wrote:We had a friend over who enjoys reds. We had a Wellington Cab directly after the mystery one (red dot- previously reported for those tracking). It was very different from the cab we had, so after looking at the descriptions online, came away thinking it was merlot...

Ohh -- that's bad news for us red=cab guessers. Such a close comparison is tricky to refute.

CT | | | | | |

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
andyduncan wrote:Not a single pink dot guess yet. Strange.

Pink=Petite Sirah

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
tommythecat78 wrote:Pink=Petite Sirah

But... he doesn't even MAKE a PS... PSilly thing...

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

andyduncan

New Tally with Sanity, Lucky, and Tommy's Guesses included:

Red - Cab:8, Merlot:7, Zin:4, Alicante Bouschet(Noir):1, Syrah:1
Orange - Zin:4, Syrah:3, Merlot:1
Green - Zin:5, Grenache:3, Merlot:2, Syrah:2, Cab:1
Pink - Petit Sirah:1

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker
andyduncan wrote:New Tally with Sanity, Lucky, and Tommy's Guesses included:

Red - Cab:8, Merlot:7, Zin:4, Alicante Bouschet(Noir):1, Syrah:1
Orange - Zin:4, Syrah:3, Merlot:1
Green - Zin:5, Grenache:3, Merlot:2, Syrah:2, Cab:1
Pink - Petit Sirah:1

I like the way the Merlot guesses on the Red dot are creeping up. Makes me feel like my lousy taste buds have plenty of company. I'm still surprised at SB's comment to berrda (at the tasting room) that the red was almost certainly not a merlot. Seems likely that at least one bottle was a merlot and so far the leading contender is the red. I guess none of us would know a merlot if it came up and bit is in the ass...er...glass.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

andyduncan

Ok, so I'd lost track of who was included or not, so here's a more detailed, and far more potentially embarrassing method of tracking, if you're name+guess isn't included here, then speak up so we can spread out the shame when it turns out we're all wrong:

[Moved to latest page]

jwhite6114

[quote postid="2655294" GREEN:
Zin: polarbear22, Wigdog, ddeuddeg, bahwm, sanity
Grenache: Loweeel (first guess), jkwest, conroo (second guess)
Merlot: mewalk707, luckyinla
Syrah: jwhite6114, mlhelm
Cab: pah53
Red: conroo (first guess)[/quote]

My submitted / official guess for this was Syrah, though upon realizing that there was no way the bottles were changed for this game I changed my mind to call Green = Zin (and this mind change influenced my choice on the Orange dot).

CT | | | | | |

andyduncan

jwhite6114 wrote:My submitted / official guess for this was Syrah, though upon realizing that there was no way the bottles were changed for this game I changed my mind to call Green = Zin (and this mind change influenced my choice on the Orange dot).

Fixed, for practicality's sake I think all we can do is track both guesses, so you can change your mind all you want, but you were still wrong to begin with :-)

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
andyduncan wrote:Fixed, for practicality's sake I think all we can do is track both guesses, so you can change your mind all you want, but you were still wrong to begin with :-)

The way this is going, I could have been wrong to begin with AND each time I changed my guess, so I guess JW is ahead of me.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

andyduncan

ddeuddeg wrote:The way this is going, I could have been wrong to begin with AND each time I changed my guess, so I guess JW is ahead of me.

I think you should be able to change your guess as often as you like, but you have to keep your old ones too.

Vote once: possible 100% correct,
Vote twice: max 50% correct,
Vote thrice: max 33.33% correct,
Vote frice: max 25% correct

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
jwhite6114 wrote:My submitted / official guess for this was Syrah, though upon realizing that there was no way the bottles were changed for this game I changed my mind to call Green = Zin (and this mind change influenced my choice on the Orange dot).

not first guess; incorrect guess. I had our tasting order backwards, so I made the wrong associations.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

andyduncan

Loweeel wrote:not first guess; incorrect guess. I had our tasting order backwards, so I made the wrong associations.

Jesus you people are frakking touchy. Fixed, but remember: it's just a game.

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
andyduncan wrote:Jesus you people are frakking touchy. Fixed, but remember: it's just a game.

sorry, not a great day here at the office :-D

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

andyduncan

Loweeel wrote:sorry, not a great day here at the office :-D

No worries. Hope the rest of your day is better.

cwillwood

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cwillwood

We must be the only ones who thought the green dot was a very young Cab.....

That was my first guess until we had a bottle of Cab. Not the same wine.

berrda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages berrda

Suppose WD is struggling with figuring out the curve for this exam? Back in my (student) teaching days, I would just admit defeat and come up with another (easier) exam. What say, WD? Another round of bottles? We promise to study harder, get a better night's sleep, eat a good breakfast, etc.

mr2dave

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mr2dave

Not sure how much stock you should take in my guess as I am probably a bit of a noob compared to some of you folks.
Anyhow, I had a pink dot, which tasted like a Grenache to me.

andyduncan

mr2dave wrote:Not sure how much stock you should take in my guess as I am probably a bit of a noob compared to some of you folks.
Anyhow, I had a pink dot, which tasted like a Grenache to me.

Added. And have you seen our list up there? I'll be surprised if our guesses turn out to even be statistically significant. You'll fit right in around here.

Unless of course you were correct, then you won't fit in very well.

jwhite6114

andyduncan wrote:Fixed, for practicality's sake I think all we can do is track both guesses, so you can change your mind all you want, but you were still wrong to begin with :-)

Hahaha! I agree, I was wrong. I only brought it up because you has some other "changed their mind" listed.

CT | | | | | |