+ Add a Comment

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
bkarney wrote:So was your Noir de Noirs even a choice, or did I make that one up!? Oh yeah, orange dot.... I'm afraid that I'm waay off on this based on other guesses!! ha ha

I think he said they were all "single-varietal" labels ... which would leave a blend like n-d-n out.

CT | | | | | |

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
SonomaBouliste wrote:Methinks you're 99% mistaken.

JUST GIVE US THE ANSWERS PLEASE

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

Loweeel

Whoops, I had the order backwards! Blue is Grenache, not green.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

jkwest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jkwest

Wine only comes in one color...Red...

Loweeel

jkwest wrote:

He's right. I was mistaken... about the order in which we sampled the wines at NoVA #6! The first one we tried I knew was grenache (having tasted it 2.5 weeks prior); I just thought that bottle had a green sticker instead of a blue.

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

jkwest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jkwest

well, great....now I know I was half wrong on my guess....

Wine only comes in one color...Red...

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
Loweeel wrote:He's right. I was mistaken... about the order in which we sampled the wines at NoVA #6! The first one we tried I knew was grenache (having tasted it 2.5 weeks prior); I just thought that bottle had a green sticker instead of a blue.

You can go ahead and change your answers here all you want, you can't hide the truth from WDs list :-)

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
andyduncan wrote:You can go ahead and change your answers here all you want, you can't hide the truth from WDs list :-)

Well sure we can, cuz he ain't posting it

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

andyduncan

Also, I propose an "advanced course" for the next time this contest happens, if it happens again.

Instead of tasting the bottles solo, you have to buy three sets and blend them together like so:

Bottle 1: 66% Wine A, 33% Wine C
Bottle 2: 66% Wine B, 33% Wine A
Bottle 3: 66% Wine C, 33% Wine B

Then you have to pick out the individual varietals and report your answers normally.

I think this should be compulsory for anyone who got 50% correct or better on this go-round.

cheron98

andyduncan wrote:Also, I propose an "advanced course" for the next time this contest happens, if it happens again.

Instead of tasting the bottles solo, you have to buy three sets and blend them together like so:

Then you have to pick out the individual varietals and report your answers normally.

I think this should be compulsory for anyone who got 50% correct or better on this go-round.

Oh that's way too much work.

andyduncan

cheron98 wrote:Oh that's way too much work.

Well, I'm planning on having failed miserably, so it's only work for someone else :-)

jwhite6114

andyduncan wrote:Also, I propose an "advanced course" for the next time this contest happens, if it happens again.

I think I failed already, because I cannot follow those directions .

CT | | | | | |

andyduncan

jwhite6114 wrote:I think I failed already, because I cannot follow those directions .

It would be tricky, imagine if SB blended 25% merlot into his Cab (the most allowable while still being labelled as a varietal), and then you poured a third of that out, you'd be at 16.66% Merlot, 50% Cab and 33.33% Air. If you filled that Air with, say 100% merlot from another bottle, you'd be at 50% Cab 50% merlot.

That would be tricky and you'd have to work with the other two bottles to determine your answer.

UBlink

quality posts: 19 Private Messages UBlink
jwhite6114 wrote:I think I failed already, because I cannot follow those directions .

I think I'm the winner, cause I'm waiting patiently for the right answers to be posted so I can write them on the labels of my mystery bottles.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

oppsie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages oppsie

!! lies and innuendo! L is NEVER WRONG EVER EVER.

Loweeel

oppsie wrote:!! lies and innuendo! L is NEVER WRONG EVER EVER.

:-D

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

jwhite6114

oppsie wrote:!! lies and innuendo! L is NEVER WRONG EVER EVER.

I guess the important question here, then, is are YOU ever wrong?

CT | | | | | |

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 238 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
jpkrause wrote:I have yet to open my bordeaux-shaped pink dotted bottle, which I guessed to be a Merlot. For no other reason that the dot is pink.

If it's a dot made by marking pen, it's orange. The pink dots are all paper dots, and on burgundy bottles.

Note to self: if we ever do this again, don't let the girls pick the colors, red and orange are a bit too close.

SonomaBouliste

Loweeel wrote:JUST GIVE US THE ANSWERS PLEASE

It's out of my hands; you'll have to harass WineDavid ;)

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

SB - I wanted to make sure that you got the last compilation that I sent via e-mail. Let me know if it came through, or if I should re-send.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

aces219

quality posts: 5 Private Messages aces219
SonomaBouliste wrote:Note to self: if we ever do this again, don't let the girls pick the colors, red and orange are a bit too close.

Ooh, I hope so, this was really fun, even more fun if we ever actually get the answers!

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

Along those lines, one of the early wine.woot offerings (JanKris) would have been awesome for that. There were 3 red blends. Each one was 50/25/25. One was Cab-dominated, another Sangiovese, and the last Zinfandel.

2004 Riatta
* Blend: 50% Sangiovese, 25% Zin, 25% Cabernet Sauvignon
2004 Crossfire
* Blend: 50% Cab, 25% Syrah, 25% Merlot
2004 Picaro
* Blend: 50% Zinfandel, 25% Merlot, 25% Cabernet Sauvignon

I don't know how good my palate is at picking single-varietals, but I'm pretty sure that teasing out sub-varietals is beyond my abilities. That said, it would be fun to try!

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

cheron98

SonomaBouliste wrote:It's out of my hands; you'll have to harass WineDavid ;)

Maybe we'll be able to coax it out of him in Vegas, if he hasn't posted before then

Cesare

quality posts: 1674 Private Messages Cesare
Corrado wrote:Along those lines, one of the early wine.woot offerings (JanKris) would have been awesome for that. There were 3 red blends. Each one was 50/25/25. One was Cab-dominated, another Sangiovese, and the last Zinfandel.

2004 Riatta
* Blend: 50% Sangiovese, 25% Zin, 25% Cabernet Sauvignon
2004 Crossfire
* Blend: 50% Cab, 25% Syrah, 25% Merlot
2004 Picaro
* Blend: 50% Zinfandel, 25% Merlot, 25% Cabernet Sauvignon

I don't know how good my palate is at picking single-varietals, but I'm pretty sure that teasing out sub-varietals is beyond my abilities. That said, it would be fun to try!

Yes! I remember that wine. That was one of my first wine.woots. I also remember only liking one of the 3. Let's see... ah yes at the bottom of my CT consumption report. Just like I thought- I loved the Riatta and really didn't like the Crossfire or Picaro.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

Cesare wrote:Yes! I remember that wine. That was one of my first wine.woots. I also remember only liking one of the 3. Let's see... ah yes at the bottom of my CT consumption report. Just like I thought- I loved the Riatta and really didn't like the Crossfire or Picaro.

I preferred the Crossfire. I've got one bottle of either Crossfire or Picaro in the cellar (split a case-purchase of the Crossfire with someone after the wine.woot).

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker
Corrado wrote:I preferred the Crossfire. I've got one bottle of either Crossfire or Picaro in the cellar (split a case-purchase of the Crossfire with someone after the wine.woot).

For awhile I was running across these at my local Big Lots and I was picking up a bottle now and then for $4 or so. I have to say the wine really improved with same age. I liked the Big Lots acquisitions much better than my first run with woot (and no, not just because of the price).

But enough off-topic chit chat...WD tell me I'm right already!!!!!!!!!

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

SonomaBouliste

andyduncan wrote:It would be tricky, imagine if SB blended 25% merlot into his Cab (the most allowable while still being labelled as a varietal), and then you poured a third of that out, you'd be at 16.66% Merlot, 50% Cab and 33.33% Air. If you filled that Air with, say 100% merlot from another bottle, you'd be at 50% Cab 50% merlot.

That would be tricky and you'd have to work with the other two bottles to determine your answer.

Okay, before all this hypothesizing about blend %s etc. goes too far - all the wines in the contest are at least 95% varietal. We wanted this to be as much challenge / fun as possible, so we didn't give a lot of infromation regarding how the wines were bottled and labeled, etc. I enjoyed reading a lot of the trains of logic (or illogic as the case sometimes was). The wines are all commercial releases with labels removed and replaced by "Duke" labels. To my mind, and nose, they are all true-to-type varietals. If people are taking their cues from oak or alcohol levels they could be easily misled.

WineDavid swears the winners will be notified before Thanksgiving and the "key' will be released while "W" is still in the White House.

edit: Oops, too much "infromation"

SonomaBouliste

polarbear22 wrote:SB - I wanted to make sure that you got the last compilation that I sent via e-mail. Let me know if it came through, or if I should re-send.

M,

It is flat amazing! Did we really compile that many pages, or did you triple space? There's practically a book there. Thank you so much for doing this. Feel free to disseminate as you wish - it's public domain.

Peter

andyduncan

SonomaBouliste wrote:Okay, before all this hypothesizing about blend %s etc. goes too far...

Our nerdery abhors a vacuum :-)

andyduncan

SonomaBouliste wrote:M,

It is flat amazing! Did we really compile that many pages, or did you triple space? There's practically a book there. Thank you so much for doing this. Feel free to disseminate as you wish - it's public domain.

Peter

I'd be willing to typeset it, if needed. There are some on-demand book publishers, we could upload it to one of them and people could request copies as they want to or just download a PDF.

polarbear22

andyduncan wrote:I'd be willing to typeset it, if needed. There are some on-demand book publishers, we could upload it to one of them and people could request copies as they want to or just download a PDF.

PM me with your e-mail. (Easier than finding from rpm tour.) I'll send you a copy of the PDF.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

bahwm

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bahwm
cheron98 wrote:Maybe we'll be able to coax it out of him in Vegas, if he hasn't posted before then

Hey, that's one month from today!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

polarbear22

SonomaBouliste wrote:M,

Peter

Dissemination in progress. We'll have a place to host for download before we know it.

You really put a lot of time into this. Big chunks for the blogs, and lots and lots of smaller chunks in responses. And you were not all of the 135 pages, since some were the questions.

Let me know if you have comments when you get a chance to review more closely. I assume that you are still extremly busy with crush and fermentation. So when you get a chance.

And get another Wellington offer on Woot. Down to a mere 40 bottles of your wine.

My Cellar

nyesq54

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nyesq54
SonomaBouliste wrote:If it's a dot made by marking pen, it's orange. The pink dots are all paper dots, and on burgundy bottles.

Note to self: if we ever do this again, don't let the girls pick the colors, red and orange are a bit too close.

I agonized over whether the dot on my bottle was red or orange. I went with red -- I think.

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD
UBlink wrote:I think I'm the winner, cause I'm waiting patiently for the right answers to be posted so I can write them on the labels of my mystery bottles.

You and me both

oppsie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages oppsie
jwhite6114 wrote:I guess the important question here, then, is are YOU ever wrong?

obviously not. It is the gift that comes along with being MOT. I'm sure tmr would agree.

jwhite6114

bahwm wrote:Hey, that's one month from today!

More even -- that's 5 weeks!

CT | | | | | |

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
polarbear22 wrote:And get another Wellington offer on Woot. Down to a mere 40 bottles of your wine.

Ugh, no! Do not do this yet! I only have 19 bottles of Wellington right now, but I'm in no position to get more right now and I know I wouldn't be able to resist.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

timbyrd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages timbyrd

Ya' know, I guessed Pinot Noir on one of the colors, even though I know he doesn't make one.

-- T

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

jwhite6114

timbyrd wrote:Ya' know, I guessed Pinot Noir on one of the colors, even though I know he doesn't make one.

-- T

You're bad. I'm calling Toby and telling him to revoke your Wellington club membership.

CT | | | | | |