jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
sanity wrote:So, does that mean we're going to be referred to with certain terms of endearment if we guessed incorrectly, once the mysteries are revealed?

No, wrong guesses should be treated with unadulterated contempt.

CT | | | | | |

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity
jwhite6114 wrote:No, wrong guesses should be treated with unadulterated contempt.

I'm hoping wrong guesses will not be mentioned at all.....I'd like to remain anonymous in my wrongness.

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker
jwhite6114 wrote:No, wrong guesses should be treated with unadulterated contempt.

Too many people in this place might like that...let's just implement a 10% wine noob surcharge on future orders for wrong guesses.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

jwhite6114

javadrinker wrote:Too many people in this place might like that...let's just implement a 10% wine noob surcharge on future orders for wrong guesses.

Might as well just up shipping to $10 and offer a coupon to the handful of folks who get correct guesses

CT | | | | | |

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
jwhite6114 wrote:Might as well just up shipping to $10 and offer a coupon to the handful of folks who get correct guesses

Hmm. The law disallows any sort of prize for drinking games such as this, so the coupon idea is a non-starter. But, i bet the law is silent as to penalties for wrong guesses.

Sort of like it's against the credit card agreement to have surcharges for the use of credit cards, but discounts for cash purchases are allowed.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

jwhite6114

JOATMON wrote:Hmm. The law disallows any sort of prize for drinking games such as this, so the coupon idea is a non-starter. But, i bet the law is silent as to penalties for wrong guesses.

Sort of like it's against the credit card agreement to have surcharges for the use of credit cards, but discounts for cash purchases are allowed.

My sarcasm is just not sticking today, I guess

CT | | | | | |

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity
jwhite6114 wrote:My sarcasm is just not sticking today, I guess

You didn't use italics silly.

jwhite6114

sanity wrote:You didn't use italics silly.

CT | | | | | |

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker
jwhite6114 wrote:

Oh J-dub, you're the funniest guy I know.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
javadrinker wrote:Oh J-dub, you're the funniest guy I know.

J-dub, best damn poster of the year.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

auggie24

quality posts: 23 Private Messages auggie24
Winedavid39 wrote:Working on it! gonna send an email out to the (several) slugs who have not submitted answers. Deadline will likely be some time next week.

This slug just submitted. I am a relative n00b with wines, so I had to wait until a friend of mine who has a cellar many restaurants are envious of could help me. We recently had a Cuvee R (and I found one tonight while checking on my Humbug that my wife had stashed away - oooohhh I was so happy).

Anyway, we had that to compare to, pulled up the Wellington website, then also opened a Cabernet. So we knew the red dotted one was not a syrah or cabsauv.

But it went so well with the Muenster cheese and the thick pork loin chops that were marinated with olive oil and a good rub. The baby red potatoes baked with fresh garlic browned with olive oil and butter further softened the big red we tasted. The final piece de resistance was the strawberry and spinach salad topped off with a homemade vinaigarette gave a nice tart counter punch to the wine.

All in all, although I am not sure of what it was, it was tasty. I am glad that I took my time to invite a good friend over and plan a proper meal to go with it. Thanks SB and WD, this was a fun challenge to work on, even though I was called a slug.

jwhite6114

javadrinker wrote:Oh J-dub, you're the funniest guy I know.

polarbear22 wrote:J-dub, best damn poster of the year.

No, no, PB. You forgot to use the italics (like me) ... see Java's example -- he gets it

CT | | | | | |

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx

Last-minute slug checking in. Just to be sure... the only choices are wines currently available on the Wellington website, right?

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

jwhite6114

eric9tx wrote:Last-minute slug checking in. Just to be sure... the only choices are wines currently available on the Wellington website, right?

I don't recall if "currently available on the website" was a rule ... but they are straight varietal wines (no blends).

CT | | | | | |

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan

So, is this contest over or was it running THROUGH the 22nd?

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Oh dangit I never popped the red dot. Got the green and orange dots in, though. I just drink too slowly

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

oppsie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages oppsie
cheron98 wrote:Oh dangit I never popped the red dot. Got the green and orange dots in, though. I just drink too slowly

s/"drink too slowly"/"lack dedication"

mshilko

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mshilko

snore Zzzzzzz......wha.....what....whaaaat....Are we there yet?!?!?

Not yet.....zzZZZZZZZZZ

jrbw3

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jrbw3

results por the favor

Now too many to list, as I'm too lazy to figure out how to scroll it.
Suffice it to say, my retirement fund suffers, but I enjoy good juice.

jkwest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jkwest

still a no go?

Wine only comes in one color...Red...

andyduncan

jkwest wrote:still a no go?

WD's probably trying to figure out a nice way of saying that we were ALL wrong, that what we drank wasn't even actually wine, but Folgers' Crystals.

jwhite6114

andyduncan wrote:WD's probably trying to figure out a nice way of saying that we were ALL wrong, that what we drank wasn't even actually wine, but Folgers' Crystals.

I thought I noticed something funny on the corks!

CT | | | | | |

Winedavid39

quality posts: 204 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

jrbw3 wrote:results por the favor

working on it!

ready2go

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ready2go

This is what happens when you drink refurbished wine, that was fashioned from refurbished grapes, that were grown on refurbished land, with refurbished roots that came from some fancy French or Italian vineyard. The Europeans are notorious for selling refurbished junk!!!! I must admit though, the Wellington collection went very well with everything, and the Roomba actually got a little tipsy vacuuming up the the dregs!!!!

Refurbished=scaffolding, just don't do it!!!!

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

Since the contest is all but over, I think I can post some of my thoughts.

Considering they couldn't have re-bottled any of the wines *IF* you were sleuthy and *IF* you bought a lot of Wellington wine on woot, I'm guessing that you would have a reasonably decent shot at guessing what was in the bottle before popping a cork based solely on bottle shape, tint, and weight.

Assuming you had a Bordeaux style bottles like the one in the pic, that rules out a whole slew of wines that come in Burgundian style bottles (and vice versa for those who got Burg bottles). Both mystery wines I got were 'normal' Bordeaux bottles as compared to two of the Wellington single-vineyard cabs I have are in more substantial bottles.

My bottles were slight different colors; one was more amber-green and the other was closer to a green-green. Had I taken the time to check other bottles, I might have been able to peg the vintage, assuming is was a recent offering (i.e. I don't know what Peter bottled in back in 1998).

I couldn't pick up anything meaningful from the tin cap or the cork itself. One cork was crusted with crystals, the other was clear. Had I diligently checked my notes from previous tastings, I could have ruled out wines based on that information alone (assuming all wines of a vintage will exhibit similar crystallization).

Next I went for color in the glass and opacity, followed by nose. I either nailed both wines at first whiff or allowed that first impression to taint the remainder of my tasting and convince me that the flavors I tasted were what my nose told me they were.

In the end, I went out on a limb and guessed vintage/designation/varietal for both. Really looking forward to the results and hoping I'm right so I don't have to try to re-rationalize my guesses. Damn, I hate waiting.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

polarbear22

andyduncan wrote:WD's probably trying to figure out a nice way of saying that we were ALL wrong, that what we drank wasn't even actually wine, but Folgers' Crystals.

Now there is an idea. Dehydrated or freeze-dried wine. Much easier to smuggle into your favorite sporting event, drink at work, etc.

Andy - better get a patent. Does anyone know a good patent attorney?

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney
ready2go wrote:This is what happens when you drink refurbished wine, that was fashioned from refurbished grapes, that were grown on refurbished land, with refurbished roots that came from some fancy French or Italian vineyard. The Europeans are notorious for selling refurbished junk!!!! I must admit though, the Wellington collection went very well with everything, and the Roomba actually got a little tipsy vacuuming up the the dregs!!!!

Huh?

CT

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
polarbear22 wrote:Now there is an idea. Dehydrated or freeze-dried wine. Much easier to smuggle into your favorite sporting event, drink at work, etc.

**looks innocent**

It's not as simple. Alcohol is a liquid; dehydrated wine, by definition, would just be pretty close to 100% alcohol and no water, but still liquid.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney
Loweeel wrote:**looks innocent**

you too eh? Technically speaking, he's already established the *idea*, as has been well documented so next step would be the patent search and app! Forget Tang, we have wine in space

CT

andyduncan

It's not as simple. Alcohol is a liquid; dehydrated wine, by definition, would just be pretty close to 100% alcohol and no water, but still liquid.

Actually, some Dutch students claimed to have invented a powdered form of alcohol that can be turned into a low alcohol (3%ish) drink by adding water: Reuters Article

I can't seem to find anything more about it, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be a hoax, but there might be a way of combining ethyl alcohol with another chemical that it into a solid at room temperatures. Probably tastes like Tang though.

polarbear22

But does that mean that a wine of 14% ABV, would be reduced to around 14% of its original volume? So we would only need a 3.5 oz bottle for a 750ml bottle of wine? (Still too large for carry on luggage.)

Probably need a chemist before we go to the patent office. Is there one of those around?

This is my brain on Friday.

My Cellar

jwhite6114

andyduncan wrote:Actually, some Dutch students claimed to have invented a powdered form of alcohol that can be turned into a low alcohol (3%ish) drink by adding water: Reuters Article

I can't seem to find anything more about it, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be a hoax, but there might be a way of combining ethyl alcohol with another chemical that it into a solid at room temperatures. Probably tastes like Tang though.

Tang that gets you drunk? That'd sell!

CT | | | | | |

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
polarbear22 wrote:Now there is an idea. Dehydrated or freeze-dried wine. Much easier to smuggle into your favorite sporting event, drink at work, etc.

so none of yous even bothered to google powdered wine then? for example. guess there is room for improvement on that 8.2% ABV though.

do you know... what biodynamics is?

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
polarbear22 wrote:
Probably need a chemist before we go to the patent office. Is there one of those around?

Nematic?

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

polarbear22

themostrighteous wrote:so none of yous even bothered to google powdered wine then? for example. guess there is room for improvement on that 8.2% ABV though.

Sure, sure. Get all real on us. It was more fun to think it was our idea.

OK, move along, nothing new happening here.

My Cellar

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

Winedavid39 wrote:working on it!

*looks at watch*

*confirms date*

*looks at WD, tapping watch*

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

jwhite6114

Corrado wrote:*looks at watch*

*confirms date*

*looks at WD, tapping watch*

CT | | | | | |

mshilko

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mshilko

This has been dissappointingly anticlimactic. Lots of excitement at the beginning tapering off into nothingness.

grate88

quality posts: 1 Private Messages grate88
mshilko wrote:This has been dissappointingly anticlimactic. Lots of excitement at the beginning tapering off into nothingness.

Agreed - gonna have to give a good Philly...

Booooooooooooo!

berrda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages berrda
grate88 wrote:Agreed - gonna have to give a good Philly...

Booooooooooooo!

Well, we're right up the road from Peter's Place and plan to stop by tomorrow. Perhaps we can get some insider information to post...