berrda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages berrda

Well the wife and I finally tried our red dot last nite. The only conclusion we could agree upon is that we need to stop collecting and start drinking. This turned out to be a swig and a swag.

Woo-hoo top of page.

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

jwhite6114 wrote:Hey! We're comparing answers in the hallway after the test! There was absolutely NO cheating involved here.

(man! whodda figured SB to be such a hard ass! )

Why in the *world* would I do anything that would benefit jwhite? :D

I stumbled on a rather obvious 'clue' to help narrow down what wine's in the bottle. Still didn't help me any, but it *did* start to reinforce a theory I have.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
Corrado wrote:Why in the *world* would I do anything that would benefit jwhite? :D

I stumbled on a rather obvious 'clue' to help narrow down what wine's in the bottle. Still didn't help me any, but it *did* start to reinforce a theory I have.

Well, it's YOUR fault we got yelled at by SB.

CT | | | | | |

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney

So are we waiting for the guesses to stop coming in or maybe just down to a trickle!? The suspense is killing me

CT

mshilko

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mshilko

I second that motion, let's post some results!!

bkarney wrote:So are we waiting for the guesses to stop coming in or maybe just down to a trickle!? The suspense is killing me

luckyinla

quality posts: 5 Private Messages luckyinla
mshilko wrote:I second that motion, let's post some results!!

I for one am curious about percentages. For example, 10 out of 40 green dot guesses were correct...I think even a little teaser would be nice. (hint, hint)

The wine seems to be very closed-in and seems to have entered a dumb stage. Sort of a Marcel Meursault.
Paul S. Winalski

my cellartracker
The best use of bad wine is to drive away poor relations.
French proverb

nallie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages nallie

Having a little trouble deciding if the marker drawn dot on my Duke is red or orange. I thought I recalled reading at one point that if the dot was a marker (vs. a paper dot), it was meant to be red or orange, but I don't recall which and can't find the reference in this thread. If anyone remembers, please refresh my memory Thanks!

EDIT Never mind, I'm voting as if it's red. Think I'm right about the varietal; hope I'm right about the color!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." - h.keller
"If you can do something about it, there is no need to worry. If you cannot do anything about it, there is no use in worrying." - j.white (and also Shantideva)

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

nallie wrote:Having a little trouble deciding if the marker drawn dot on my Duke is red or orange. I thought I recalled reading at one point that if the dot was a marker (vs. a paper dot), it was meant to be red or orange, but I don't recall which and can't find the reference in this thread. If anyone remembers, please refresh my memory Thanks!

EDIT Never mind, I'm voting as if it's red. Think I'm right about the varietal; hope I'm right about the color!

I had a red dot and an orange dot (BB sized paper dots). My friend had a pea-sized orange smudge from a marker (looked peachy).

nallie

Corrado wrote:I had a red dot and an orange dot (BB sized paper dots). My friend had a pea-sized orange smudge from a marker (looked peachy).

Oh, dang. Well, I voted as if it were red. Here's hoping...

"If you can do something about it, there is no need to worry. If you cannot do anything about it, there is no use in worrying." - j.white (and also Shantideva)

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

nallie wrote:Oh, dang. Well, I voted as if it were red. Here's hoping...

Maybe that'll help. :D

nallie

Corrado wrote:Maybe that'll help. :D

Just might!

Actually, I will be very surprised if I am wrong about this varietal. But, we'll see.

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 238 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
nallie wrote:Just might!

Actually, I will be very surprised if I am wrong about this varietal. But, we'll see.

The orange paper dot was pretty dark, but obviously orange when compared to the red paper dot. The orange Sharpie dot was paler - almost peach as Corrado mentioned. Out of curiosity, can you send me a PM with your varietal conclusion?

nyesq54

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nyesq54
SonomaBouliste wrote:The orange paper dot was pretty dark, but obviously orange when compared to the red paper dot. The orange Sharpie dot was paler - almost peach as Corrado mentioned. Out of curiosity, can you send me a PM with your varietal conclusion?

Well, at least this gives me some encouragement that my decision that the dot on my bottle was red was correct. I kept going back and forth between red and orange, but ultimately went red. Just for wine.

nallie

nallie wrote:Oh, dang. Well, I voted as if it were red. Here's hoping...

I now have incontrovertible proof (either in a vault buried under the river or a van down by the river) that my marker-made dot was meant to be orange. Can someone please move my previously submitted vote to the orange column on the spreadsheet? Unless my answer and the orange bottle are not the same varietal. If the latter is the case, just go ahead and drop my vote into the correct column and save me from myself. This has already been a terribly upsetting process. Woot has revealed itself as biased against those among us who struggle with the gray areas (or, in this case, peach areas) of the color spectrum. Bigotry is always, always wrong, woot. I'd hate to have to get my attorney (Loweeeel! Come quickly; I need you) involved.

So, to repeat, please move my previous varietal vote to the peachy orange column, or just drop it in the '100% correct - no need to investigate further, she has the palate of a goddess, I tell you" column. Thank you in advance.

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

SonomaBouliste wrote:The orange paper dot was pretty dark, but obviously orange when compared to the red paper dot. The orange Sharpie dot was paler - almost peach as Corrado mentioned. Out of curiosity, can you send me a PM with your varietal conclusion?

Results still coming in? This thread is slowing down. Want answers!

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD
nallie wrote:I now have incontrovertible proof (either in a vault buried under the river or a van down by the river) that my marker-made dot was meant to be orange. Can someone please move my previously submitted vote to the orange column on the spreadsheet? Unless my answer and the orange bottle are not the same varietal. If the latter is the case, just go ahead and drop my vote into the correct column and save me from myself. This has already been a terribly upsetting process. Woot has revealed itself as biased against those among us who struggle with the gray areas (or, in this case, peach areas) of the color spectrum. Bigotry is always, always wrong, woot. I'd hate to have to get my attorney (Loweeeel! Come quickly; I need you) involved.

So, to repeat, please move my previous varietal vote to the peachy orange column, or just drop it in the '100% correct - no need to investigate further, she has the palate of a goddess, I tell you" column. Thank you in advance.

Its a hanging chad and WILL NOT COUNT(ok well in Florida anyway)

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

ERMD wrote:Its a hanging chad and WILL NOT COUNT(ok well in Florida anyway)

After driving by a night club in Atlanta with the name, "Swinging Richards," I thought it would be a stroke of brilliance to open up an associated club in West Palm Beach called, "Hanging Chads."

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
Corrado wrote:After driving by a night club in Atlanta with the name, "Swinging Richards," I thought it would be a stroke of brilliance to open up an associated club in West Palm Beach called, "Hanging Chads."

Some of my favorite bar names: "Dirty beautiful tulip's" and "Filthy McNasty's" on Rose st. in Edinburgh, and "The Back Door Lounge" in Old Town Sacramento which is, inexplicably, not a pleasantly upbeat bar.

EDIT: You know they're good because the woot filters caught them, hit reply to see the actual names.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

nallie

ERMD wrote:Its a hanging chad and WILL NOT COUNT(ok well in Florida anyway)

Oh, sure. Thwart my right to vote with your complex ballots that are too confusing from me to figure out. My rights have been violated. My voice drowned out by the machine politic. Attica. ATTICA.

nallie

Corrado wrote:After driving by a night club in Atlanta with the name, "Swinging Richards," I thought it would be a stroke of brilliance to open up an associated club in West Palm Beach called, "Hanging Chads."

andyduncan wrote:Some of my favorite bar names: "Dirty beautiful tulip's" and "Filthy McNasty's" on Rose st. in Edinburgh, and "The Back Door Lounge" in Old Town Sacramento which is, inexplicably, not a pleasantly upbeat bar.

EDIT: You know they're good because the woot filters caught them, hit reply to see the actual names.

I have got to get out more. I want to add to this chain, I really do, but the only establishment name that is jumping to mind is our local library. And just to be entirely clear, it is neither clever nor nasty. I need a more vigorous social life...

jkwest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jkwest

Um...Hello?

Is this mic on?

Where are the results?!

Wine only comes in one color...Red...

grate88

quality posts: 1 Private Messages grate88

Can we at least have a date when the results will be posted. I have people to answer to with the answers.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 208 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

jkwest wrote:Um...Hello?

Is this mic on?

Where are the results?!

Working on it! gonna send an email out to the (several) slugs who have not submitted answers. Deadline will likely be some time next week.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
nallie wrote:I have got to get out more. I want to add to this chain, I really do, but the only establishment name that is jumping to mind is our local library. And just to be entirely clear, it is neither clever nor nasty. I need a more vigorous social life...

My favorite clever name is for a little Italian pasta joint called Penne from Heaven.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

ddeuddeg wrote:My favorite clever name is for a little Italian pasta joint called Penne from Heaven.

Driving back from NOLA yesterday we heard an add for a sanitation company with what I thought was a clever slogan/tagline: "So&So Sanitation - Our business stinks... but it's picking up!"

Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr
Winedavid39 wrote:Working on it! gonna send an email out to the (several) slugs who have not submitted answers. Deadline will likely be some time next week.

Just sharing my email (yes, I"m a slug, I haven't opened mine yet). Looks like Sept 22 is the deadline for those waiting for the results.

Sorry to take you away from your wine drinking for a second. But we can't help but notice that even though you bought the Wellington mystery wine bundle a few weeks back, you haven't yet entered a guess in Wine.Woot's Mystery Wine Challenge.

As soon as you put that bottle down, head on over to http://wine.woot.com/blog/viewentry.aspx?id=5758 and take your best guess at identifying the mystery varietal. You've got until Monday, September 22. Hurry, or you might miss your chance to win nothing!

Thanks -
Wine.Woot
http://wine.woot.com/

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
Imagine4vr wrote:Just sharing my email (yes, I"m a slug, I haven't opened mine yet). Looks like Sept 22 is the deadline for those waiting for the results.

llo. You beat me to it. I was just about to post the email they sent me, because I'm a fellow slug.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

ready2go

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ready2go

After the much anticipated arrival of the wines (yes, I am sure you all got tired of my incessant whining), I thoroughly enjoyed each wine. I have the red dot, which tasted vaguely like one of the other bottles. But, alas poor Yorick, I went with a total guess. Yes, its true, I am not a true connoisseur of wine, just some schmuck Soldier who allows you all to enjoy the wine without the war!!!!

Refurbished=scaffolding, just don't do it!!!!

ddeuddeg

HitAnyKey42 wrote:llo. You beat me to it. I was just about to post the email they sent me, because I'm a fellow slug.

I had no idea that entering a guess was mandatory, and that if you bought the wine and didn't enter, you'd be called vile names. I even assumed that a few people might actually give up in frustration or something. Meanwhile, I hitch-hiked on bahwm's three bottles, putting in my guesses on those. Do my guesses even get recognized? These people sure are being Philistines all of a sudden, aren't they?

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
Corrado wrote:Driving back from NOLA yesterday we heard an add for a sanitation company with what I thought was a clever slogan/tagline: "So&So Sanitation - Our business stinks... but it's picking up!"

There's a Porta-potty company in Chicago called "Oui Oui".

My buddy works at a water and sewer company and their (unofficial) slogan is "Your Manos, the Hands of Fate smells like money to us"

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr
andyduncan wrote:There's a Porta-potty company in Chicago called "Oui Oui".

My buddy works at a water and sewer company and their (unofficial) slogan is "Your Manos, the Hands of Fate smells like money to us"

In StLouis there is a cement repair company, Mr Crack and their slogan is: a dry crack is a happy crack.
http://www.thecrackteam.com/about/press/releases/050815.html

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
Imagine4vr wrote:In StLouis there is a cement repair company, Mr Crack and their slogan is: a dry crack is a happy crack.
http://www.thecrackteam.com/about/press/releases/050815.html

Concrete grinding company named "The Daily Grind"

They actually renamed it to something completely mundane; too many potential customers were getting confused

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

JOATMON wrote:Concrete grinding company named "The Daily Grind"

They actually renamed it to something completely mundane; too many potential customers were getting confused

Thinking it was a coffee shop?

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
Corrado wrote:Thinking it was a coffee shop?

Something like that, yes.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

DinkumThinkum

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DinkumThinkum
JOATMON wrote:Something like that, yes.

daily?!!?

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
Corrado wrote:Driving back from NOLA yesterday we heard an add for a sanitation company with what I thought was a clever slogan/tagline: "So&So Sanitation - Our business stinks... but it's picking up!"

There's a sanitation company in NOVA whose slogan is "We're #1 in the #2 business."

Apparently you have to have a sense of humor to work in that industry.

CT | | | | | |

ddeuddeg

jwhite6114 wrote:There's a sanitation company in NOVA whose slogan is "We're #1 in the #2 business."

Apparently you have to have a sense of humor to work in that industry.

I don't know if it's still there, but there used to be an exterminator in Erie, PA called Buenos Noches Roaches.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 208 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

ddeuddeg wrote:I had no idea that entering a guess was mandatory, and that if you bought the wine and didn't enter, you'd be called vile names. I even assumed that a few people might actually give up in frustration or something. Meanwhile, I hitch-hiked on bahwm's three bottles, putting in my guesses on those. Do my guesses even get recognized? These people sure are being Philistines all of a sudden, aren't they?

Please know i used the term slug only as a term of endearment. i should have used the term "lovable slugs".

ddeuddeg

Winedavid39 wrote:Please know i used the term slug only as a term of endearment.

Of course, we all knew that.

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity
Winedavid39 wrote:Please know i used the term slug only as a term of endearment. i should have used the term "lovable slugs".

So, does that mean we're going to be referred to with certain terms of endearment if we guessed incorrectly, once the mysteries are revealed?