bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney
tomatillo wrote:

vaaccess: by the way, nice wine cooler pic in your sig.

And what's with the creepy headless horseman in the reflection!? He did have a pumpkin for a head right??

CT

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

Last guess in: Orange dot. Was a bit trickier, and my guess on this one is as much process of elimination as anything else. The problem with this, is that I am second guessing my first guess (green dot). If my "new" guess (I only entered one guess on the form) for the green dot is correct, then it would mean it is not an option for the orange dot, and thus the orange dot is left with only one choice (well, based on my tasting). If, however, my first guess was right on the green dot (it wasn't), then the orange dot could be one of two things, and without opening up known bottles in order to make a comparison, I am left just guessing between the two.

Whatever they turn out to be I enjoyed all three bottles. Without revealing anything, I will say that I think it would cost more than the guesstimated $18 for at least one, if not a couple of these mystery bottles. I question whether some of these are even the most recent vintage.

Not knowing for certain the grape, though, does make tasting them more interesting. Clearly there is no pre-set expectation of what to taste.

CT | | | | | |

jkwest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jkwest

whelp...

I put my vote in for the pink dot...

we will crack open the green one tonight...I think it was green...I'll double check tonight...

Wine only comes in one color...Red...

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
jwhite6114 wrote:Last guess in: Orange dot. Was a bit trickier, and my guess on this one is as much process of elimination as anything else. The problem with this, is that I am second guessing my first guess (green dot). If my "new" guess (I only entered one guess on the form) for the green dot is correct, then it would mean it is not an option for the orange dot, and thus the orange dot is left with only one choice (well, based on my tasting). If, however, my first guess was right on the green dot (it wasn't), then the orange dot could be one of two things, and without opening up known bottles in order to make a comparison, I am left just guessing between the two.

Whatever they turn out to be I enjoyed all three bottles. Without revealing anything, I will say that I think it would cost more than the guesstimated $18 for at least one, if not a couple of these mystery bottles. I question whether some of these are even the most recent vintage.

Not knowing for certain the grape, though, does make tasting them more interesting. Clearly there is no pre-set expectation of what to taste.

You truly have a dizzying intellect!

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

jwhite6114

andyduncan wrote:You truly have a dizzying intellect!

That's what *I* said, but the officer still insisted on making me take a full field sobriety test.

CT | | | | | |

jkwest

The green one is tricky....

Gonna have to try tasting it again tonight...

paryb

quality posts: 17 Private Messages paryb
jkwest wrote:The green one is tricky....

Gonna have to try tasting it again tonight...

So, when are we going to see who is right??

189 Bottles of wine from Woot so far!
$3319.36or a mere $17.56 per bottle.

wine.woot Keeping Paryb in the red(and sometimes white) since 5/9/2007

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
jwhite6114 wrote:That's what *I* said, but the officer still insisted on making me take a full field sobriety test.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

K00L

quality posts: 0 Private Messages K00L

Go Trojans!!!

jkwest

Alright...put my vote in on the green one...

Not so sure about it...it was an extremely different tasting wine, but, realllllly good!!

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

kramsauer wrote:Red dot here. Instantly knew what it was. So either I know what I'm talking about or I'm more stupid than even I think.

That's my first bottle (of two) opened and that's almost my exact line of thinking. SWMBO & I independently agreed on this one.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

jwhite6114

Corrado wrote:That's my first bottle (of two) opened and that's almost my exact line of thinking. SWMBO & I independently agreed on this one.

I thought the Red Dot was obvious, too. What will be really funny is if we each thought it was something different.

CT | | | | | |

chad1323ross

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chad1323ross

Just drank a red dot bottle. Neither of us sampling had to wait very long to place our guess and we both guess the same. I assume, therefore, that we must be wrong!

222 bottles and counting.

vaaccess

quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess
bkarney wrote:And what's with the creepy headless horseman in the reflection!? He did have a pumpkin for a head right??

Hahaha...Yeah...It was a Halloween thingy. One of these days I'll take a better picture now that it has more wine in it!

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

thrawn1020

quality posts: 23 Private Messages thrawn1020

Where is the announcement of the winners post?????

I had kind of expected it sooner...

Not too many to count, but dang. This place has a way of building a cellar for you.

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm
thrawn1020 wrote:Where is the announcement of the winners post?????

I had kind of expected it sooner...

guesses still coming in at a pretty good pace. some ways to go.

WD

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney
jwhite6114 wrote:Last guess in: Orange dot. Was a bit trickier, and my guess on this one is as much process of elimination as anything else. The problem with this, is that I am second guessing my first guess (green dot). If my "new" guess (I only entered one guess on the form) for the green dot is correct, then it would mean it is not an option for the orange dot, and thus the orange dot is left with only one choice (well, based on my tasting). If, however, my first guess was right on the green dot (it wasn't), then the orange dot could be one of two things, and without opening up known bottles in order to make a comparison, I am left just guessing between the two.

Who's to say they didn't put the same wine in both the orange and green, now that's sure to mess with ya! I'm opening what I suspect was the orange tonight to see if I even got that right, pretty sure tho.

CT

senorwilli

quality posts: 4 Private Messages senorwilli

I really enjoyed the red dot, but the pink dot wine to me seemed a little young and thin. Any one else have any notes on the pink dot?

In Bacchus we trust, and practice daily...
It all started with Little Vineyards Sonoma Valley Trio 8/23/2006

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer

So my green was corked (sorry, no clue had to judge which varietal on top of wet cardboard). This is the first corked bottle I've had from woot. Anyone had any experience returning/crediting bad bottles?

signed.

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 234 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
canonizer wrote:So my green was corked (sorry, no clue had to judge which varietal on top of wet cardboard). This is the first corked bottle I've had from woot. Anyone had any experience returning/crediting bad bottles?

I'll buy if w00t'l fly.

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

Well, JW & I were both pretty solid on our red guess and via PM we determined that one of us is CLEARLY wrong.

Worse, I, too, have the orange dot wine and am now second guessing my red-dot guess insofar as there are obvious traits in this wine that I would *expect* in the red dot guess.

Now, I'm fairly confident that this is a DIFFERENT wine from the red dot (identical tasting conditions, different impressions), but I could potentially see it as the same varietal, but from a different vintage &/or designation.

Are all dots unique varietals?

MaskedMarvel

quality posts: 11 Private Messages MaskedMarvel
Corrado wrote:

We sat around wondering the very same thing... Wouldn't THAT be diabolical!

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

MaskedMarvel wrote:We sat around wondering the very same thing... Wouldn't THAT be diabolical!

Maybe an easier question would be, "Are all dotted wines currently listed on the Wellington site *or* wines that have been sold on wine.woot in the past?"

richc7

quality posts: 4 Private Messages richc7

Finally got to pop the cork on this one tonight and got a much different impression than another wine.wooter. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

Also, we just needed to guess the varietal right? I take it throwing in a vintage or vineyard won't get you anything more than bragging rights?

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

richc7 wrote:Finally got to pop the cork on this one tonight and got a much different impression than another wine.wooter. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

Also, we just needed to guess the varietal right? I take it throwing in a vintage or vineyard won't get you anything more than bragging rights?

I think only the varietal, but if you think you can nail it down to a specific wine/vintage/designation, I don't think you lose points for getting the varietal right & the designation wrong. I'm *really* on the fence about the orange dot (and that's making me be on the fence about the red dot I already submitted).

ddeuddeg

richc7 wrote:

Since the entire contest is only about bragging rights in the first place, this seems like a safe bet. bahwm and I had enough trouble making up our minds about the varietals, let alone trying to decide what vineyard. I must say it's nice to see some of our friends on here having the same trouble. However, on opening a bottle of Peter's Grenache last weekend, we were sure we were correct in not selecting that for any of our three mystery bottles. Doesn't make us right, just sure.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

jwhite6114

Corrado wrote:Well, JW & I were both pretty solid on our red guess and via PM we determined that one of us is CLEARLY wrong.

Worse, I, too, have the orange dot wine and am now second guessing my red-dot guess insofar as there are obvious traits in this wine that I would *expect* in the red dot guess.

Now, I'm fairly confident that this is a DIFFERENT wine from the red dot (identical tasting conditions, different impressions), but I could potentially see it as the same varietal, but from a different vintage &/or designation.

FWIW, I did not for a second think that the red and orange dots were the same. BUT, I did consider what you guessed for the red dot as a possibility for the orange dot. Probably doesn't help you much

CT | | | | | |

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
SonomaBouliste wrote:I'll buy if w00t'l fly.

Cool, thanks Peter. I sent an email to rma@woot and copied WD. I appreciate the offer.

signed.

SonomaBouliste

jwhite6114 wrote:FWIW, I did not for a second think that the red and orange dots were the same. BUT, I did consider what you guessed for the red dot as a possibility for the orange dot. Probably doesn't help you much

If you keep looking at your neighbors' exams you'll have to go stand in the corner!

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
SonomaBouliste wrote:If you keep looking at your neighbors' exams you'll have to go stand in the corner!

But we turned in our papers!!

This is as bad as waiting months for my actuarial scores. I want to know how I did.

I have to say while it was tough, if it was the best-tasting test I ever took.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

jwhite6114

SonomaBouliste wrote:If you keep looking at your neighbors' exams you'll have to go stand in the corner!

Hey! We're comparing answers in the hallway after the test! There was absolutely NO cheating involved here.

(man! whodda figured SB to be such a hard ass! )

CT | | | | | |

jwhite6114

polarbear22 wrote:But we turned in our papers!!

This is as bad as waiting months for my actuarial scores. I want to know how I did.

I have to say while it was tough, if it was the best-tasting test I ever took.

Hear! Hear! And I am at least as interested in getting the results so I know how to get more of some of these.

CT | | | | | |

bahwm

quality posts: 28 Private Messages bahwm

It's ONLY been a little over a week since we could start voting. It just seems like forever!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

ddeuddeg

jwhite6114 wrote:Hear! Hear! And I am at least as interested in getting the results so I know how to get more of some of these.

Between the rpm tour 9 bottles and the multifarious wine.woot offerings, not to mention the upcoming wine club shipment, I already stock pretty much everything in his current list of reds already, so I don't have much to worry about on that score.

polarbear22

ddeuddeg wrote:Between the rpm tour 9 bottles and the multifarious wine.woot offerings, not to mention the upcoming wine club shipment, I already stock pretty much everything in his current list of reds already, so I don't have much to worry about on that score.

I think I am about the same, without the wine club. (I have 40 bottles of Wellington, some are the same varietal of different vintages and vineyards.)
They can't ship direct to CT. Saves me a little coin, but really disappointed. If he starts to ship to CT, I will join as soon as I hear.

WD and EB, this was a great idea. Round of applause for both of you.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

ddeuddeg

polarbear22 wrote: Round of applause for both of you.

Same from bahwm and me!

jrbw3

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jrbw3

so. i had the green. i finally tasted it. i opened it with another of the four pack and it was certainly different. i made a guess but i'm completely not sure. if this IS a wine from Wellington that i've previously had, then i most definitely need to go back to wine school 101. come to think of it, i welcome going back. more wine to try. more smart people to tell me about it. i stink. can't wait to see the results.

Now too many to list, as I'm too lazy to figure out how to scroll it.
Suffice it to say, my retirement fund suffers, but I enjoy good juice.

SonomaBouliste

jwhite6114 wrote:Hey! We're comparing answers in the hallway after the test! There was absolutely NO cheating involved here.

(man! whodda figured SB to be such a hard ass! )

Sorry, I guess it runs in the family - my father had quite a reputation as a med. school prof.

polarbear22

SonomaBouliste wrote:Sorry, I guess it runs in the family - my father had quite a reputation as a med. school prof.

I recall that you were ahh strict about the rules when you did your little contest a year ago. Can you tell that one thing most of the regulars have in common is inability to stick with the rules. I used to say my third major in school was "How to break the rules".

Rain and wind, along with some tornadoes apparently, coming this way. Watching the junior weatherman out in the storm on TV. Can't call him a meteorologist if he is out on the beach during this stuff. The meteorologist is the guy reporting from the studio. Would rather be watching "Chuck".

My Cellar

SonomaBouliste

polarbear22 wrote:I recall that you were ahh strict about the rules when you did your little contest a year ago. Can you tell that one thing most of the regulars have in common is inability to stick with the rules. I used to say my third major in school was "How to break the rules".

Rain and wind, along with some tornadoes apparently, coming this way. Watching the junior weatherman out in the storm on TV. Can't call him a meteorologist if he is out on the beach during this stuff. The meteorologist is the guy reporting from the studio. Would rather be watching "Chuck".

Rules were indeed meant to be broken, but you do have to be honest if you live outside the law.