thrawn1020

quality posts: 23 Private Messages thrawn1020

I think for me what comes out of this is that I await hearing just what Merlot it was that we had. It had none of the sweetness that all of the other Merlot's have had that I've tried, even the one of Peter's that I had from the same offering. (though I can't remember whether I had it before or after the mystery bottles.) Color me VERY interested in knowing what these two wines were, there was definitely a tart thing going on in the Red dot that was not entirely welcome. But I may have to buy another bottle of the Red dot as well, just to see if my notes are at all consistent over time.

As it stands, I know now I need to seek out more Merlot and Zinfandel though. That orange dot was something else.

Not too many to count, but dang. This place has a way of building a cellar for you.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
andyduncan wrote:I'm more than a little embarrassed that I apparently can't tell a cab from a merlot, though in my defense I don't drink much merlot, and 99.9% of the merlot I drink is blended with cab.

Excuses. Excuses.

Fun game WD and SB! When's the next one?

I am a little embarassed as well. But I usually don't like Merlot, and liked the red dot, so I went with Cab. Even though I knew that I liked Wellington merlot.

It all started when I f'ed up my tasting on the green dot and thought it was Zin. Better open one of each this weekend and do some training. Yeah, that will make me feel better.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

darlenee1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages darlenee1
polarbear22 wrote:I am a little embarassed as well. But I usually don't like Merlot, and liked the red dot, so I went with Cab. Even though I knew that I liked Wellington merlot.

It all started when I f'ed up my tasting on the green dot and thought it was Zin. Better open one of each this weekend and do some training. Yeah, that will make me feel better.

I've been second guessing myself the past few months, remembering the distinctive cherry flavor. "Cherry is Merlot! (you fool)" I've been saying in my head. Then I opened the Merlot I had, and it tasted nothing like my red dot bottle. So I thought maybe my entry wasn't so shamefully wrong. Well, it was. I am a non-educated, palateless wine drinker. So what the heck is going on? What vintage was this mystery Merlot? I want more, dammit!

Ran out of room for the wines, and can't think of a good quote for now

mfelske

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mfelske

I guessed Zin on the red. I went back and forth between Zin and Merlot and decided Zin because of how hot this wine came across. Of course, Peter's Zin and Merlot both have a decent amount of alcohol but the Zin has a bit more.

My wife said Merlot, so I will never hear the end of that. "Yes, Dear. You were right again."

jhammond

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jhammond

I'm not sure how, but I got my certificate in the mail. I couldn't figure out what I had gotten from WCC until I opened it, and I still couldn't believe it. One more thing that needs framing!

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
andyduncan wrote:Since the final verdicts appear to be out and there's not much mystery remaining ...

There is one bit of mystery remaining: Why the hell did I ever post my guesses for all to see?

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

I'm excited now that the verdict is out.

I received a Grenache and a Syrah so I can taste two more Wellington takes on these varietals. I didn't guess because I suck. But, woo hoo!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

polarbear22

ddeuddeg wrote:There is one bit of mystery remaining: Why the hell did I ever post my guesses for all to see?

Because you were as certain as I was. And apparently, as wrong as I was.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney
polarbear22 wrote:Because you were as certain as I was. And apparently, as wrong as I was.

Shoot, at least you guys made guesses that were possible...apparently my guess wasn't even an option - no wonder why I always liked multiple choice tests and hated the fill in the blanks

CT

ddeuddeg

polarbear22 wrote:Because you were as certain as I was. And apparently, as wrong as I was.

At least I'm in good company. That's no small comfort. Thanks, PB.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

polarbear22

ddeuddeg wrote:At least I'm in good company. That's no small comfort. Thanks, PB.

We'll have fun at the "losers' table" on the next trip. And we may not have guessed what it was, but we still drink great wine.

My Cellar

Cesare

quality posts: 1625 Private Messages Cesare

Read em and WEEP, suckers!

Sole absolute triple!!!

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
Cesare wrote:Read em and WEEP, suckers!
Sole absolute triple!!!

Whoa.... I guess now we know when Cesare says "This tastes like a Cab", then it tastes like a Cab... The ONLY one, eh? WOW. Congrats, man!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker
*evil pic snip*

Sole absolute triple!!!

Cheat, foul, inconceivable!!!!

WD couldn't even sign the cert without his hand shaking. In fact...I don't even think that's WD's signature.

I know Exalted High Tastemaster Supremes, and you sir, are no Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme.

Ok, sour grapes session over.

Congrats man, that s friggin' awesome.

*cough* cheat *cough*

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

K00L

quality posts: 0 Private Messages K00L
bahwm wrote:YES! I am an Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme! I am soooooo excited! I can't wait to find out which one I got right. It must only be one out of the three since I didn't get a "Double Illustrious". Anybody get 3 correct? Would that be "Triple Illustrious"?

I tasted two mystery wines and received the

"Double Illustrious"
"Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme"

I wonder the same, what if you submitted 3 and got all of them right.

So, do we start a new forum for those that are EHTS and DI-EHTS with restricted membership?

polarbear22

Sole absolute triple!!!

Congrats. Now we know your next career!!

My Cellar

lauratchi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi
polarbear22 wrote:Congrats. Now we know your next career!!

Next career? he could change now!

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

Cesare

lauratchi wrote:Next career? he could change now!

Well that's the point unfortunately. Right now I work in IT in the financial industry and well... you know how that's looking lately. Maybe I'll go back to school, wine school.
Anyway, thanks everybody. I have to thank WD and SB for coming up with this and the DC wooters for having that great tasting in August where we were able to taste 4 of the mystery bottles and of course kt for helping me guess. And java, my photoshop skills aren't that good :P

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

Cesare

I just opened a bottle of Wellington old vine Zin to celebrate. Awesome stuff!

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple

bahwm

quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm
Cesare wrote:I just opened a bottle of Wellington old vine Zin to celebrate. Awesome stuff!

As well you should! Congrats are in order and I humbly bow! Awesome, dude!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

ddeuddeg

Sole absolute triple!!!

Sorry, pal, no weeping here. I'm too happy for you. Congrats!!!

bahwm

javadrinker wrote:"Double Illustrious"...that's awesome!!! I was hoping they'd do something to recognize the correct multi-guessers. I only had the one bottle so mine looks like Sparky's. It is now on permanent display in my Facebook profile.

We could photocopy them and get them laminated at OfficeMax. Then, hole punch them and put a lanyard or yarn through the hole/holes and wear them to future tastings. Or, would that be too insufferable?

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

kttest

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kttest
bahwm wrote:We could photocopy them and get them laminated at OfficeMax. Then, hole punch them and put a lanyard or yarn through the hole/holes and wear them to future tastings. Or, would that be too insufferable?

*giggles* that's SUCH a teacher comment

- Krista
"Wine is the most civilized thing in the world." -Ernest Hemingway.
NYC Tastings Summary courtesy of HAK

yumitori

quality posts: 22 Private Messages yumitori
Cesare wrote:
Sole absolute triple!!!

Way to go, Cesare!

My wife and I just tasted and went with our first impressions. I figured it wouldn't matter much if we got them wrong since it would likely be pure luck if one turned out correctly anyway. But now that it looks like we didn't succeed I'm jealous of everyone else with the cool certificates.

K00L

Sole absolute triple!!!

I'M AWWWWEDD

bahwm

kttest wrote:*giggles* that's SUCH a teacher comment

Yep! But then, the originals wouldn't get all crunched up . . . Oh, Sparky's already is. Oops.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
bahwm wrote:Yep! But then, the originals wouldn't get all crunched up . . . Oh, Sparky's already is. Oops.

Stoopid Postal Service .... They bent my Certificate!!! Folded it instead of leaving it flat. Although nothing on the outside of the envelope said not to bend.

I blame Corrado!!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

deaconbluez

quality posts: 1 Private Messages deaconbluez

Sole absolute triple!!!

Congrats! Makes me wish I would have had the cash to go in for more than one that week; I wonder if I could have done as well. A couple of friends and I play a game where we each bring a bottle of wine, decant them and leave the bottle in a brown paper bag and then we each have to guess the varietal and country/region. I can usually guess the varietal and sometimes the difference between a French and Cali wine, but it amazes me how some of my friends can be so accurate on both so often.

I guess I need to drink more wine. ;-)

"I prefer a thief to a Congressman. A thief will take your money and be on his way, but a Congressman will stand there and bore you with the reasons why he took it." -Dr. Williams

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

Sole absolute triple!!!

Truly remarkable. Someone needs to update their sig!

CT | | | | | |

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous

[future addition to the Smithsonian Catalogue]

Sole absolute triple!!!

... and here i thought I was the most righteous...

do you know... what biodynamics is?

tripgrad

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tripgrad
Cesare wrote:
Anyway, thanks everybody. I have to thank WD and SB for coming up with this and the DC wooters for having that great tasting in August where we were able to taste 4 of the mystery bottles and of course kt for helping me guess.

NoVA wineaux have the best w00t events in the country!

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

Cesare

themostrighteous wrote:... and here i thought I was the most righteous...

Papa tmr! Are you proud of me?

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
Cesare wrote:Papa tmr! Are you proud of me?

are you frakking kidding me?!? that picture brought a tear to my eye. i'm so PROUD!!!

(... even if a wee bit jealous...)

i will have to wait til i return to Chicago to see if i am at all worthy of my own name.

do you know... what biodynamics is?

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
jwhite6114 wrote:Truly remarkable. Someone needs to update their sig!

May I recommend "My Name is Cesare, I have a black square, and I truly am better than everyone else."

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

timbyrd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages timbyrd

Sole absolute triple!!!

MAJOR, Major Congrats! All Hail Cesare!

And of course congrats to the other Exalted High Tastemasters Supreme.

I hope we never learn the exact vintages of the wines. That would only be rewarding the party poopers who didn't play. I regret to think how much andyduncan's work - he has good intentions, but you know what they pave - has assisted the ruthless exploitation by the Bordeaux as they sit astride the backs of the Wootetariat.

-- T
(And I still think I merited a certificate for thinking outside the bottle.)

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 234 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
Cesare wrote:Well that's the point unfortunately. Right now I work in IT in the financial industry and well... you know how that's looking lately. Maybe I'll go back to school, wine school.
Anyway, thanks everybody. I have to thank WD and SB for coming up with this and the DC wooters for having that great tasting in August where we were able to taste 4 of the mystery bottles and of course kt for helping me guess. And java, my photoshop skills aren't that good :P

What financial industry?

Way to go, doood!

SB

nallie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages nallie
SonomaBouliste wrote:What financial industry?
SB

<puts fingers in ears, begins alternately humming and repeating herself>
Can't hear you, can't hear you, can't hear you. The financial industry is going to be just fine. Will work for wine.

Sole absolute triple!!!

That is outstanding. Great job, Cesare!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." - h.keller
"If you can do something about it, there is no need to worry. If you cannot do anything about it, there is no use in worrying." - j.white (and also Shantideva)

AjaxLives

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AjaxLives
Cesare wrote:Sole absolute triple!!!

Absolutely outstanding! Congrats!

K00L

Sole absolute triple!!!

And I was going to post my "Double Illustrious", now I just feel it's not just quite good enough... even though I only tasted two.

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity

Cesar, congrats, and may I sit next to you at one of the tastings?
btw, you need to change the Sole in your sig to: SOLE.......

And congrats to all the Double Illustrious and Exalted High Tastemaster Supremes!