andyduncan


quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan

Since the certificates, or plaques, or whatever they are have been mailed out and people are posting that they received theirs, I removed the Wall of Shame to keep the suspense up for people opening their mailboxes. No sense in spoiling the fun by tempting people to cross reference (though I'm already guilty of that, I admit).

I'll repost it when most people have gotten their prize-not-prize.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

jrbw3


quality posts: 1 Private Messages jrbw3



Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
jrbw3

What a nice ring. And I was sure that I was wrong, since my guess was noticeably absent for a long time and only ended up having token support ever. I will not divulge, but I only guessed one, so I know the troof.

Oh the back patting. I may have to drink a Wellington tonight to celebrate.

Now too many to list, as I'm too lazy to figure out how to scroll it.
Suffice it to say, my retirement fund suffers, but I enjoy good juice.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
AjaxLives wrote:And we have a winner!

Received a bonafide certificate in the mail today!

I will try to get the scanner working and scan a copy for all you losers ;) to see.

Now, if I just knew if it was one, two, or three of them I guessed right.

Edit: Sorry, can't get the scanner going. Maybe another winner is out there that can get a copy posted.



Ta Da!



Too Small? I can make it bigger ....


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

grate88


quality posts: 1 Private Messages grate88
MarkDaSpark wrote:Ta Da!



Too Small? I can make it bigger ....




I guess I got both my bottles right because my cert says "Double Illustrious" above "Exalted high tastemaster supreme"

So...

Blue = Grenache
Pink = Syrah
(if I remember correctly)

jwhite6114


quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
MarkDaSpark wrote:Ta Da!



Too Small? I can make it bigger ....



Huh! it's crooked. I would have expected something a little more professional (as in not crooked )l for all the wait.

(thanks for posting it!)

CT | | | | | |

javadrinker


quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker
grate88 wrote:I guess I got both my bottles right because my cert says "Double Illustrious" above "Exalted high tastemaster supreme"

So...

Blue = Grenache
Pink = Syrah
(if I remember correctly)



"Double Illustrious"...that's awesome!!! I was hoping they'd do something to recognize the correct multi-guessers. I only had the one bottle so mine looks like Sparky's. It is now on permanent display in my Facebook profile.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

  • Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

yumitori


quality posts: 22 Private Messages yumitori
MarkDaSpark wrote:
Snail mail to home address.



Hmmm. Not the address you have the wine shipped to? Not that I'm really expecting to get one, but I wonder if the certificate would go to my wootlegger's address or to mine...




nallie


quality posts: 8 Private Messages nallie
grate88 wrote:I guess I got both my bottles right because my cert says "Double Illustrious" above "Exalted high tastemaster supreme"

So...

Blue = Grenache
Pink = Syrah
(if I remember correctly)



Well, I am officially humiliated beyond measure that I probably (haven't checked the mailboxes, etc address for a certificate, but conditions look less than favorable) got my 1 guess wrong. Typically, I am ok with being wrong; when something happens that frequently, you get used to it. I still would almost bet my wine cellar that what I had was a Wellington syrah, though. Wish I'd saved the bottle. The glass itself was more brownish-green than green, which I only recall because I pm'ed Peter that in answer to his question. I don't remember the shape of the bottle. And the dot was drawn not a sticker. Dang. Sparky and Java and all you other smarty pants SoCal peeps, please try to avoid direct eye contact with me at the next tasting. The shame would be more than I could bear… I am so old to be a such a n00b.

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." - h.keller
"If you can do something about it, there is no need to worry. If you cannot do anything about it, there is no use in worrying." - j.white (and also Shantideva)

javadrinker


quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker
nallie wrote:Well, I am officially humiliated beyond measure that I probably (haven't checked the mailboxes, etc address for a certificate, but conditions look less than favorable) got my 1 guess wrong. Typically, I am ok with being wrong; when something happens that frequently, you get used to it. I still would almost bet my wine cellar that what I had was a Wellington syrah, though. Wish I'd saved the bottle. The glass itself was more brownish-green than green, which I only recall because I pm'ed Peter that in answer to his question. I don't remember the shape of the bottle. And the dot was drawn not a sticker. Dang. Sparky and Java and all you other smarty pants SoCal peeps, please try to avoid direct eye contact with me at the next tasting. The shame would be more than I could bear… I am so old to be a such a n00b.



The direct eye contact won't be an issue. Sparky and I have reached elitist status so we won't even be looking in the general direction of wine n00bs, except for the occasional look of derision with accompanying snort. We elitists will be easy to spot at the woot gatherings for we will be wearing our woot certificates around our necks like Flavor Flav and his big clocks. Yeaaaaahhhhhh boooooouuuuuy!!!!

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

  • Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

nallie


quality posts: 8 Private Messages nallie
javadrinker wrote:The direct eye contact won't be an issue. Sparky and I have reached elitist status so we won't even be looking in the general direction of wine n00bs, except for the occasional look of derision with accompanying snort. We elitists will be easy to spot at the woot gatherings for we will be wearing our woot certificates around our necks like Flavor Flav and his big clocks. Yeaaaaahhhhhh boooooouuuuuy!!!!

Good thing you have other winning attributes, Mister Java, sir, or I would be inclined to reply with a comment about gloating not becoming you. Not that you could hear me way down here with the everyday losers who can't tell their white zins from their sea breezes...

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." - h.keller
"If you can do something about it, there is no need to worry. If you cannot do anything about it, there is no use in worrying." - j.white (and also Shantideva)

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
MarkDaSpark wrote:Ta Da!


Too Small? I can make it bigger ....



It's big enough, but the text is too fuzzy to read. Can you type out what it actually says? After all, I only submitted one guess (not that I have any recollection of what I submitted) and I'm sure it was wrong.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

jrbw3


quality posts: 1 Private Messages jrbw3
HitAnyKey42 wrote:It's big enough, but the text is too fuzzy to read. Can you type out what it actually says? After all, I only submitted one guess (not that I have any recollection of what I submitted) and I'm sure it was wrong.




This should be cleaner. If not, I'll type it.

Now too many to list, as I'm too lazy to figure out how to scroll it.
Suffice it to say, my retirement fund suffers, but I enjoy good juice.

yathink2


quality posts: 4 Private Messages yathink2

Whoooooo WooT!!!

So glad I didnt throw it away!!! For I am now truly better than the rest or at least all the non black box Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme's out there

Very Cool WD & SB, thanks for my non-prize prize. I think I will frame it, because next year I will probably screw it up! llo

For now though yathink2 is an Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme!



alexandra29


quality posts: 1 Private Messages alexandra29

I, too, am a Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme! Only, I am guessing we only got one answer correct, and my husband and I tasted three mystery bottles... ah, well, I am still totally thrilled with my certificate (having been in band for almost all my elementary, middle and high school life, I became very attached to them)! I am even more thrilled that this is the '1st annual' mystery wine challenge...

bahwm


quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm

YES! I am an Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme! I am soooooo excited! I can't wait to find out which one I got right. It must only be one out of the three since I didn't get a "Double Illustrious". Anybody get 3 correct? Would that be "Triple Illustrious"?

One question for WD or SB: did the recipient of the certificate have to be the purchaser of the wines or was it OK to be a wooter who submitted a vote? H-m-m-m-m, does that mean that my boldness to choose another path led me to High Honors?

Oh, BTW, thank you WD & SB for thinking up the contest and encouraging us to broaden and challenge our palate knowledge. We invited some friends over and shared!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

yathink2


quality posts: 4 Private Messages yathink2
bahwm wrote:

One question for WD or SB: did the recipient of the certificate have to be the purchaser of the wines or was it OK to be a wooter who submitted a vote? H-m-m-m-m, does that mean that my boldness to choose another path led me to High Honors?



Very NICE!!! Good Job!!!! Gotta Love that...



CinnamonRuth


quality posts: 1 Private Messages CinnamonRuth

I too received my tastemaster supreme certificate in the mail and as such, I'm taking a break from shyness. My ability to guess correctly (green dot = cab, but it was tricky!) I owe in many ways to the wonderful education I've received in these forums, so thanks to my fellow Wooters. And thanks to Wellington Vineyards and WineDavid for making this so much fun.

javadrinker


quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker
andyduncan wrote:My hatred for you is beyond words right now. Open a window, you should be able to feel the seething from there.



Still feeling a bit of heat from across the county line...luckily this beautiful certificate also doubles as a nice fan.

Suffer beneath the onslaught of my mighty wine tasting abilities...suffer I say!!!

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

  • Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
javadrinker wrote:Still feeling a bit of heat from across the county line...luckily this beautiful certificate also doubles as a nice fan.

Suffer beneath the onslaught of my mighty wine tasting abilities...suffer I say!!!





Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg

It's not enough I was already having a lousy day. I had to come home to find out only one of us got a Certificate, and it wasn't me. Nallie, we're just going to have to console each other in Las Vegas while java and Sparky and bahwm strut around with their certificates, which will probably have been bronzed by then. For now, I'm clinging to the theory that only the actual purchaser of the wine (bahwm, in this case) was eligible for the certificate.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

sanity


quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity
javadrinker wrote:The direct eye contact won't be an issue. Sparky and I have reached elitist status so we won't even be looking in the general direction of wine n00bs, except for the occasional look of derision with accompanying snort. We elitists will be easy to spot at the woot gatherings for we will be wearing our woot certificates around our necks like Flavor Flav and his big clocks. Yeaaaaahhhhhh boooooouuuuuy!!!!



yah....but you'll drink our wine I bet....

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
ddeuddeg wrote:It's not enough I was already having a lousy day. I had to come home to find out only one of us got a Certificate, and it wasn't me. Nallie, we're just going to have to console each other in Las Vegas while java and Sparky and bahwm strut around with their certificates, which will probably have been bronzed by then. For now, I'm clinging to the theory that only the actual purchaser of the wine (bahwm, in this case) was eligible for the certificate.



I too, am a loser. Nothing for me in either of my mail areas. And since the only thing I was really sure on was that red = cab, and that has since been disproven, I'm pretty sure I'm just a loser. Ah well. The three of us can console each other in Vegas

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

nyesq54


quality posts: 1 Private Messages nyesq54
grate88 wrote:I guess I got both my bottles right because my cert says "Double Illustrious" above "Exalted high tastemaster supreme"

So...

Blue = Grenache
Pink = Syrah
(if I remember correctly)



Well, if you remember correctly, I should go get my eyes examined. I guessed syrah, but I thought for sure the dot was red. Other posts have suggested what I thought was red was actually pink. Oh well, once more glory and fame elude me.

eric9tx


quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx
cheron98 wrote:I too, am a loser. Nothing for me in either of my mail areas. And since the only thing I was really sure on was that red = cab, and that has since been disproven, I'm pretty sure I'm just a loser. Ah well. The three of us can console each other in Vegas



I'm not giving up hope just yet. Mail here seems to be slow, so I'm holding out for tomorrow. I was not in the red=cab camp, and I think Java and I guessed the same so I could still be a winner. *hoping hoping hoping*

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

vquasarv


quality posts: 4 Private Messages vquasarv

Guess I'm a big loser too....Thats it I'm giving up wine drinking....

jk, I can't stay mad at you wine

"Cause once you're addicted to wine and champagne,It's gonna drive you insane,
Because the world's not so tame." -The Kinks

blusky558


quality posts: 1 Private Messages blusky558

I am not worthy.

Wait... what is that large white envelope lurking in the back of my postal facility recepticle? Could it be? Be still my beating heart....

I AM WORTHY! I leap for joy and then have to explain to the federal agents in the lobby (my postal unit is in a Federal Court Building) that I am merely celebrating my inclusion in the elite, the ultimate, the inner sanctum of wine wootedness!

Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme. I like the ring of it. :-)

bahwm


quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm
blusky558 wrote:I am not worthy.

Wait... what is that large white envelope lurking in the back of my postal facility recepticle? Could it be? Be still my beating heart....

I AM WORTHY! I leap for joy and then have to explain to the federal agents in the lobby (my postal unit is in a Federal Court Building) that I am merely celebrating my inclusion in the elite, the ultimate, the inner sanctum of wine wootedness!

Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme. I like the ring of it. :-)



Me likes the poetry and drama. Welcome to the club, O Exalted one!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

deaconbluez


quality posts: 1 Private Messages deaconbluez

Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
deaconbluez

Got mine today (Missouri) It was postmarked 10/27, so those of you east of me might still have a chance.

Red = Merlot

Thanks, David and Peter, it was fun, and worth the wait. (although I might not have felt this way had I been wrong!)

For those wondering, it was sent to my home address, not where I ship my wine.

"I prefer a thief to a Congressman. A thief will take your money and be on his way, but a Congressman will stand there and bore you with the reasons why he took it." -Dr. Williams

bahwm


quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm
deaconbluez wrote:Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
deaconbluez

Got mine today (Missouri) It was postmarked 10/27, so those of you east of me might still have a chance.

Red = Merlot

Thanks, David and Peter, it was fun, and worth the wait. (although I might not have felt this way had I been wrong!)

For those wondering, it was sent to my home address, not where I ship my wine.



I got mine in Buffalo today.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

sanity


quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity

So I won't receive a certificate; my only wine was a green dot, I guessed zin ( after flirting with 2 other varietals, not cab) and another poster refuted my guess. Oh well. I still enjoyed the wine, and as ms nallie pointed out, I'm eternally shamed.

sanity


quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity
nallie wrote:Well, I am officially humiliated beyond measure that I probably (haven't checked the mailboxes, etc address for a certificate, but conditions look less than favorable) got my 1 guess wrong. Typically, I am ok with being wrong; when something happens that frequently, you get used to it. I still would almost bet my wine cellar that what I had was a Wellington syrah, though. Wish I'd saved the bottle. The glass itself was more brownish-green than green, which I only recall because I pm'ed Peter that in answer to his question. I don't remember the shape of the bottle. And the dot was drawn not a sticker. Dang. Sparky and Java and all you other smarty pants SoCal peeps, please try to avoid direct eye contact with me at the next tasting. The shame would be more than I could bear… I am so old to be a such a n00b.



*Dear ms. nallie, I'm ready to give up wooting altogether. really. The humiliation of my (our) inner n00bness is too much to bear. really. To think I agonized for 2 days over my guess. really. And still got it wrong after 1 official guess and 2 wannabe-guesses.
*italics for bowtie

auggie24


quality posts: 23 Private Messages auggie24

O ye shall bow down to yet another Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme. Even though the red herring was thrown out there, I never lost faith in my ability to divine the real truth.

Suuuuuuuwwwwwweeeeeeetttttness!

auggie24


quality posts: 23 Private Messages auggie24

It will be interesting if they post statistics. There were 1063 mystery bottles out there, what was the response rate, and of the response rate, what level of knowledge is out there (correct answers)...

Wish I had gotten a pink dot, but the red was still very good.

pah53


quality posts: 3 Private Messages pah53

I was a little reluctant to admit that we thought the green dot was a Cab because I think the majority voted Zin or anything else but Cab. My husband kept reassuring me that it was a young Cab and to keep the faith (he is far better at knowing the reds than I).

So, when I got home from work, to my surprise and subsequent excitement, I found that we had received the highly sought after and forever cherished 'Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme' award for GREEN = CAB!!

We've not yet made it to a southern California wine tasting/sharing event but now I know we can walk through the door with pride. Okay, not that pride was needed for entry because you all seem like such a great bunch of people. I'll just brag at work except they won't have a clue what I'm talking about.

bahwm


quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm
pah53 wrote:I was a little reluctant to admit that we thought the green dot was a Cab because I think the majority voted Zin or anything else but Cab. My husband kept reassuring me that it was a young Cab and to keep the faith (he is far better at knowing the reds than I).

So, when I got home from work, to my surprise and subsequent excitement, I found that we had received the highly sought after and forever cherished 'Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme' award for GREEN = CAB!!

We've not yet made it to a southern California wine tasting/sharing event but now I know we can walk through the door with pride. Okay, not that pride was needed for entry because you all seem like such a great bunch of people. I'll just brag at work except they won't have a clue what I'm talking about.



It does lose something in translation at work! We'll just have to keep celebrating amongst ourselves! Congrats! Come join us in Vegas.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

pah53


quality posts: 3 Private Messages pah53
bahwm wrote:It does lose something in translation at work! We'll just have to keep celebrating amongst ourselves! Congrats! Come join us in Vegas.



We would love to but we go back to Iowa (my homeland) every year for a long weekend around the holidays to visit my relatives and that is the weekend my brothers and I have scheduled for this year. The LV weekend sounds like a great time and we are sorry to miss it. I will keep watching for future events.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
pah53 wrote:We would love to but we go back to Iowa (my homeland) every year for a long weekend around the holidays to visit my relatives and that is the weekend my brothers and I have scheduled for this year. The LV weekend sounds like a great time and we are sorry to miss it. I will keep watching for future events.



Remember to wear your certificate around your neck like Java and I will be doing when you attend ....


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

pah53


quality posts: 3 Private Messages pah53
MarkDaSpark wrote:Remember to wear your certificate around your neck like Java and I will be doing when you attend ....



I wouldn't miss the opportunity to do so!! (or, maybe let my better half, who was the one who actually guessed right, have the honor...)

andyduncan


quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan

Since the final verdicts appear to be out and there's not much mystery remaining, here's the wall of sh/fame:


RED (Obviously red sticker or marker, Bordeaux Bottle):
This wine was a merlot.
Winners: berrda, javadrinker, Cesare, auggie24, chad1323ross, eric9tx, bahwm

Losers:
Cab: polarbear22, jwhite6114, andyduncan, aces219, CpprCr8, ddeuddeg, gsandoval, paryb, dsapp (second guess), marekny7, cheron98
Zin: Corrado (second guess), Imagine4vr, vaaccess (second guess), mfelske, darlenee1, dsapp (official)
Syrah: nallie (official guess), nyesq54 (official)
Alicante Bouschet: jkwest, thrawn1020 (regretfully)
Chardonnay: vaaccess (first guess :-P)
Dr. Pepper: Corrado (first guess)
Not Merlot: Peter Wellington (according to berrda)

ORANGE (Burnt orange sticker or very light orange marker, Bordeaux Bottle):
This wine was a Zin:
Winners: Corrado, yathink2, Cesare, andyduncan, AjaxLives

Losers:
Merlot: jwhite6114 (second guess), jpkrause (speculating), richc7, mnwrasslin (second guess)
Syrah: ddeuddeg, nallie (color corrected), bahwm
Cab: thrawn1020, timbyrd
Grenache: mnwrasslin (official)

GREEN (Green sticker, Bordeaux Bottle):
This wine was a Cab:
Winners: pah53, cwillwood (official, now undecided)

Losers:
Zin: polarbear22, Wigdog, ddeuddeg, bahwm, sanity, jwhite6114 (second guess), cheron98 (second guess)
Merlot: mewalk707, luckyinla, vquasarv
Syrah: jwhite6114 (official), mlhelm, cheron98 (official)
Grenache: Loweeel (official), jkwest, conroo (second guess)
Red Wine: conroo (first guess)

BLUE (Blue sticker, Rhone Bottle):
This wine was a Grenache:
Winners: Loweeel (color corrected), SmilingBoognish

Losers:
Syrah: AjaxLives
Pinot: timbyrd (In obvious defiance of reality)

PINK (Pink sticker, Rhone Bottle):
This wine was a Syrah:
Winners: nyesq54 (color corrected)

Losers:
Petit/e Si/yrah: tommythecat78
Merlot: timbyrd, AjaxLives
Grenache: mr2dave



I'm putting WD's kids through college.

andyduncan


quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
andyduncan wrote:Since the final verdicts appear to be out and there's not much mystery remaining, here's the wall of sh/fame:



I'm more than a little embarrassed that I apparently can't tell a cab from a merlot, though in my defense I don't drink much merlot, and 99.9% of the merlot I drink is blended with cab.

Excuses. Excuses.

Fun game WD and SB! When's the next one?

I'm putting WD's kids through college.