mr2dave

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mr2dave
andyduncan wrote:Added. And have you seen our list up there? I'll be surprised if our guesses turn out to even be statistically significant. You'll fit right in around here.

Unless of course you were correct, then you won't fit in very well.

Well then, here's to hoping my taste buds deceived me. Cheers and thanks for the welcome =)

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

jwhite6114 wrote:Hahaha! I agree, I was wrong. I only brought it up because you has some other "changed their mind" listed.

For no good reason other than Yankee stubbornness, I'm sticking by my guesses of 03 sonoma cty zin (Orange?), 04 100 yr zin (Red?), and 04 sonoma cty zin (green) -- can't recall for sure which was which for the orange/red; green I'm guessing based on some of the descriptions.

My *guess* is that Red was probably a Cab, Orange was a Zin, and Green a Merlot with pink being Grenache and Blue being Syrah (keep in mind, I've only *tasted* Red & Orange).

mmmm... idle speculation...

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
Corrado wrote:For no good reason other than Yankee stubbornness, I'm sticking by my guesses of 03 sonoma cty zin (Orange?), 04 100 yr zin (Red?), and 04 sonoma cty zin (green) -- can't recall for sure which was which for the orange/red; green I'm guessing based on some of the descriptions.

My *guess* is that Red was probably a Cab, Orange was a Zin, and Green a Merlot with pink being Grenache and Blue being Syrah (keep in mind, I've only *tasted* Red & Orange).

mmmm... idle speculation...

Ummm ... I can tell you what you told me a few weeks back.

CT | | | | | |

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
Corrado wrote:My *guess* is that Red was probably a Cab, Orange was a Zin, and Green a Merlot with pink being Grenache and Blue being Syrah (keep in mind, I've only *tasted* Red & Orange).

I support that if only because it agrees with what I guessed :-)

Tally moved to page 11

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

richc7

quality posts: 4 Private Messages richc7

Now that I remembered this thread I was hoping the answers would be out since they were supposed to come out some time ago, no?

FWIW, I thought the orange bottle was a merlot.

mnwrasslin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mnwrasslin

carp - after reading all of these I find out that the Granache was not in a bordeaux style bottle.. Orange dot guess doesn't look like I am going to take home a prize of woot glory. On further review I could see the orange being Merlot. I thought it was too much fruit but after a long long time to think about it...

Of course maybe Peter will come on here and say he switched one bottle shape and I will be king... of something..
is it wootoff yet?

10 random carp

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
andyduncan wrote: I'll be surprised if our guesses turn out to even be statistically significant. You'll fit right in around here.

Unless of course you were correct, then you won't fit in very well.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

timbyrd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages timbyrd

Uncle David wants you!

Yeah, you.

You do realize that WineDavid is specifically waiting for you to submit your answers? Yes, this entire wine guessing game revolves around you.

There needs to be a critical mass of answers before they can burst the bonds of spreadsheet captivity and overwhelm an unsuspecting world.

bgulick wrote:(2) Having worked in one of the finest restaurants in our state, where we periodically engaged in "brown bag" tastings (that is, specifying wines whose identity was concealed by our sommelier), I am as confident as I feel most others may rightly be in my own ability to determine the mere varietal at issue.

Hmm, that particular phrasing sounds like the Mensa-punk dialect to me. Using my English-to-English translation skills, that comes out as "I'm scared to risk the public embarrassment of being wrong." Not submitting is a forfeit, you know.

-- T

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

andyduncan

timbyrd wrote:Uncle David wants you!

Yeah, you.
-- T

And what about you? I don't have you on the unofficial list up there. Spill the beans, oh one that some call Tim.

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 46 Private Messages SmilingBoognish

Since everyone is coming forward with their guesses, I'll go ahead and say my mystery wine was Grenache. Having said that, it's been so long that I've forgotten what color dot I had! Good thing I submitted my guess earlier on.

My beard grows long waiting for the results...

vquasarv

quality posts: 4 Private Messages vquasarv

The only one I tasted was the GREEN. I've been lurking in this thread for awhile because I thought my guess must have been wrong based on how many people thought it was zin, but it looks like several of them are up in the air, so I might as well throw my hat into the ring.

I thought the green was merlot within 30 sec. of uncorking based on color and scent. After 5 minutes and several gulps, I was so sure of it I didn't even let it open up, I put in my guess before I could second guess myself. I've had the Wellington merlots several times so I felt like I had it in my palette memory. While it was opening up it took on somewhat of a Syrah taste, but when it fully opened up I was still sure it was merlot. I can't say I ever thought zin.

That being said, I've always thought that the Wellington merlot tastes almost un-merlot, maybe thats why I like it so much. On the other hand, I tend not to ever buy merlots so maybe I don't have a lot of experience to draw from.

"Cause once you're addicted to wine and champagne,It's gonna drive you insane,
Because the world's not so tame." -The Kinks

WineWootaholic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages WineWootaholic
SmilingBoognish wrote:

You might keep a eye on juve woot - off, they sometimes have electric shavers over there.

A man not old, but mellow, like good wine,
Stephen Phillips (1845-1915)

"I love cooking with wine, Sometimes I even put it in the food."

33 wine.woot's, 9 woot-off wines

andyduncan

vquasarv wrote:The only one I tasted was the GREEN. I've been lurking in this thread for awhile because I thought my guess must have been wrong based on how many people thought it was zin, but it looks like several of them are up in the air, so I might as well throw my hat into the ring.

Added. I hope you're right, because it supports my guesses by taking merlot out of the equation for red and orange.

If there are more people who are shy about adding your guesses, the best encouragement I can think of is the pool of misery up there. Look at all those people who are going to be wrong. It's a good crowd.

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
andyduncan wrote:Added. I hope you're right, because it supports my guesses by taking merlot out of the equation for red and orange.

If there are more people who are shy about adding your guesses, the best encouragement I can think of is the pool of misery up there. Look at all those people who are going to be wrong. It's a good crowd.

i honestly do not remember. honest. and i had FOUR guesses (for four wines) at that. <drops head, stares at the ground, and shakes head in self-disgust.>

do you know... what biodynamics is?

paryb

quality posts: 17 Private Messages paryb

I know I had the red dot and the pink dot, but I've completely forgotten what they were...I think I said Cab for red, but I don't remember what I said for pink. When are we going to have the damn thread??!!

189 Bottles of wine from Woot so far!
$3319.36or a mere $17.56 per bottle.

wine.woot Keeping Paryb in the red(and sometimes white) since 5/9/2007

LoonBoarder

quality posts: 5 Private Messages LoonBoarder
themostrighteous wrote:i honestly do not remember. honest. and i had FOUR guesses (for four wines) at that. <drops head, stares at the ground, and shakes head in self-disgust.>

This. Only I had 2. One red dot, one orange.

Dude... wait, what?

fendie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fendie

One of mine was definitely the Grenache which was in the Wellington Select 3 Pack... although I do not recall the color of the dot as I had three of them and it was what feels like a year ago.

thrawn1020

quality posts: 23 Private Messages thrawn1020

I had the Orange and Red Dots.

The orange varied quite a bit for me in the four hours or so that I had it. It was quite expressive on the nose, and I was a bit overwhelmed. Based on the information on the website, I guessed that it was a lighter Cabernet, but I don't have enough taste memory built up to really say what good Zin tastes like. I had one of the 2004 Zins from the same offer since then, but don't remember it tasting at all like the orange bottle. There weren't many tartrates on the cork, so I ended up guessing that the wine was fairly young. Whatever it is, I will be buying at least a half-case if it is still available.

I had the red a few days after the orange. There were a lot of tartrate crystals on the cork this time, and it kind of reminded me of a Petite Sirah in that sense. It took a long time for it to develop for me, and it was on the bitter side. It was very interesting, but essentially didn't change much from start to finish. I was kind of disappointed, and never really came to a conclusion regarding which varietal it was. I think I submitted Alicante Bouschet(the NdN) for it, and from what Peter has said recently, that guess is incorrect. Thinking back, and rereading my notes, what I had was a mouthcoating aspect, dark, sour cherry thing, with some alcohol on the nose. So I guess it is possible that it is a Zinfandel, but it would be nothing like the 2004 Zin.

So in short form, here are my guesses:
Orange: Cabernet Sauvignon
Red: Alicante Bouschet(wrong)

If indeed we have a large number of Zins as Corrado has been suggesting, that would be a very interesting end to what has been an enlightening contest.

Not too many to count, but dang. This place has a way of building a cellar for you.

andyduncan

thrawn1020 wrote:So in short form, here are my guesses:
Orange: Cabernet Sauvignon
Red: Alicante Bouschet(wrong)

If indeed we have a large number of Zins as Corrado has been suggesting, that would be a very interesting end to what has been an enlightening contest.

Added, and all zins would be interesting. Even funnier would be all the same exact wine in all the bottles, and we're here saying how different they were.

timbyrd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages timbyrd
andyduncan wrote:And what about you? I don't have you on the unofficial list up there. Spill the beans, oh one that some call Tim.

"At this time, I cannot recollect drinking that wine."

Ya know, tomorrow it will have been two months since I did the tasting. I think I may have tossed the page of notes after I entered the guesses in WD's spreadsheet. (Oh my! I just had a chilling thought - what if that spreadsheet was accidentally loaded into Write-Only Memory!?!)

Anyway my dots were orange, pink and blue. (I was jazzed, because the pink and blue seemed to be the least common.) I think the guesses may have been cab, merlot, pinot. (No, I wasn't kidding about putting that guess in - and I noted in my guess that I knew Peter didn't make pinot. In retrospect, I should have let the wine sit in the glass for a bit to let the fug evaporate - I got something similar from a glass of the Stuart sango last night.) Also the merlot guess would have the wrong bottle shape. If I find the notes, I'll post a correction.

-- T

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

andyduncan wrote:Added, and all zins would be interesting. Even funnier would be all the same exact wine in all the bottles, and we're here saying how different they were.

I will confidently state that they were NOT all the same wine in the Bordeaux bottles. Keep in mind I was also confident they were both Orange and Red were Zins and could be wrong on both.

My orange and red were in different COLORED bottles, had different Duke labels with different alcohol contents (which may or may not speak to having to accurately label the wine) and one was heavily tartrated on the cork and the other only showed mild sedimentation/crusting around the shoulder (don't recall anything substantial on the cork). *MAYBE* different treatments of the same "wine" as taken from field to bottle, but I think that would be a stretch.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

mewalk707

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mewalk707
SmilingBoognish wrote:Since everyone is coming forward with their guesses, I'll go ahead and say my mystery wine was Grenache. Having said that, it's been so long that I've forgotten what color dot I had! Good thing I submitted my guess earlier on.

I must have been bored at work when we first started comparing notes... my list says you had blue.

thrawn1020

Corrado wrote:I will confidently state that they were NOT all the same wine in the Bordeaux bottles. Keep in mind I was also confident they were both Orange and Red were Zins and could be wrong on both.

My orange and red were in different COLORED bottles, had different Duke labels with different alcohol contents (which may or may not speak to having to accurately label the wine) and one was heavily tartrated on the cork and the other only showed mild sedimentation/crusting around the shoulder (don't recall anything substantial on the cork). *MAYBE* different treatments of the same "wine" as taken from field to bottle, but I think that would be a stretch.

The different labels was something I noticed as well. Whether or not that was just happenstance is something I guess we'll find out later, but I thought it a bit odd.

Not too many to count, but dang. This place has a way of building a cellar for you.

bahwm

quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm
thrawn1020 wrote:The different labels was something I noticed as well. Whether or not that was just happenstance is something I guess we'll find out later, but I thought it a bit odd.

I believe it was Peter who said that the different labels didn't mean anything. He was using up some labels.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

dsapp

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dsapp

My guess for the red dot was zin, but after I turned in that answer, part of me suspected that it was actually a cab. Official answer: zin. At least, that's what I think I said (it's been so long!).

AjaxLives

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AjaxLives

Ok, since we are all throwing in on this, here are my guesses:

blue dot on Rhone bottle: syrah

orange dot on Bordeaux bottle: zin

pink dot on Rhone bottle: merlot

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 232 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
andyduncan wrote:Added, and all zins would be interesting. Even funnier would be all the same exact wine in all the bottles, and we're here saying how different they were.

That would be funny. but a little too devious even for me. I have put two bottles of the same wine in blind tastings before, to see how consistent my fellow tasters were. I had suggested using more than one color per wine, but WineDavid nixed that on logistical grounds (harder to tally answers). I will admit to being vague at times regarding bottle shape, labelling, current release status etc., but the biggest red herring I threw out there was unintentional. You'll find that out when the results are listed, or if the "victim" posts my apology.

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 232 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
bahwm wrote:I believe it was Peter who said that the different labels didn't mean anything. He was using up some labels.

Yes and no. I did make sure I complied with the law.

berrda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages berrda
SonomaBouliste wrote:That would be funny. but a little too devious even for me. I have put two bottles of the same wine in blind tastings before, to see how consistent my fellow tasters were. I had suggested using more than one color per wine, but WineDavid nixed that on logistical grounds (harder to tally answers). I will admit to being vague at times regarding bottle shape, labelling, current release status etc., but the biggest red herring I threw out there was unintentional. You'll find that out when the results are listed, or if the "victim" posts my apology.

Um.

bahwm

quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm
SonomaBouliste wrote:Yes and no. I did make sure I complied with the law.

Of course you did! : ) But, I'm not sure exactly what those specs are! Is it enough to state that it is "red table wine"? Must the alcohol content be accurate?

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

andyduncan

SonomaBouliste wrote: I will admit to being vague at times regarding bottle shape, labelling, current release status etc., but the biggest red herring I threw out there was unintentional. You'll find that out when the results are listed, or if the "victim" posts my apology.

Hmm, so maybe the red is merlot after all...

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
bahwm wrote:Of course you did! : ) But, I'm not sure exactly what those specs are! Is it enough to state that it is "red table wine"? Must the alcohol content be accurate?

I had wondered about that.

There's that magical 14% level, with two different tax rates, and you cannot lie about which side of the 14% the wine falls under.

So, another clew, as they say.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

nyesq54

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nyesq54

I doubt what follows will be surprising to most in this forum.

Last Tuesday I stopped by the Wellington tasting room. After tasting a few wines and making my purchases, I was told that it was the last day of crush, and that I should go out back and take a look. Peter was there, with others, tending to a clogged destemmer/crusher. He was gracious enough to take a few moments to explain what was going on, answer a few (well, maybe more than a few) questions, show me around a bit, and make sure I got out of harm's way once things were underway again. Overall, a very cool experience for an outsider like me. Thanks Peter.

andyduncan

nyesq54 wrote:I doubt what follows will be surprising to most in this forum.

Last Tuesday I stopped by the Wellington tasting room. After tasting a few wines and making my purchases, I was told that it was the last day of crush, and that I should go out back and take a look. Peter was there, with others, tending to a clogged destemmer/crusher. He was gracious enough to take a few moments to explain what was going on, answer a few (well, maybe more than a few) questions, show me around a bit, and make sure I got out of harm's way once things were underway again. Overall, a very cool experience for an outsider like me. Thanks Peter.

Yeah yeah yeah, Peter's nice blah blah blah, really friendly blah blah blah, took time to greet a stranger in the middle of crush, yada yada yada.

Look, we only care if he spilled the beans on what wine went into which bottles.

I kid, glad you enjoyed your visit to wellington.

bgulick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bgulick
timbyrd wrote:Uncle David wants you!

Yeah, you.

You do realize that WineDavid is specifically waiting for you to submit your answers? Yes, this entire wine guessing game revolves around you.

There needs to be a critical mass of answers before they can burst the bonds of spreadsheet captivity and overwhelm an unsuspecting world.

Hmm, that particular phrasing sounds like the Mensa-punk dialect to me. Using my English-to-English translation skills, that comes out as "I'm scared to risk the public embarrassment of being wrong." Not submitting is a forfeit, you know.

-- T

First, thanks for your back-handed compliment on my "dialect." Unfortunately, though, your translator did you no service. A quick glance over the guesses posted thusfar shows that there's ample public "embarassment" to go around. That just isn't a big deal to me. I've been wrong plenty of times before about plenty of things, and a similar mistake in this context would in no way damage my sense of self. This is, after all, a friendly forum, and this challenge is all in good fun. Is anyone here really that fragile? I think not.

As I previously indicated, I haven't submitted a guess because I haven't opened the bottle. I'm not yet wealthy enough to have an extensive cellar, so it matters a little more to me that I know what I'll be drinking when I do break the seal. Sometimes you feel like a cab, sometimes a zin. Having tried Wellington's cab, zin, and merlot, I know that any would be a great. Still, though, I would much prefer to know what the mystery bottle is before I open it.

Also, I appreciate your assertion that "this entire ... game revolves around [me]," but I must humbly disagree. My opinions never have been and likely never will be that significant to so many others. Thanks for the ego boost, but I assure you, it's unnecessary. I apologize to you and any others who take offense at my stance, but that offense won't change my reasoned view.

If you'd like to personally send me another mystery bottle so that I may maintain my own in its unopened condition, then I'd be more than happy to open the same and respond accordingly with my guess. If not, then please refrain from your personal attacks in the future.

Addressing your last point, what, exactly, am I forfeitting?

nyesq54

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nyesq54
andyduncan wrote:Yeah yeah yeah, Peter's nice blah blah blah, really friendly blah blah blah, took time to greet a stranger in the middle of crush, yada yada yada.

Look, we only care if he spilled the beans on what wine went into which bottles.

I kid, glad you enjoyed your visit to wellington.

I was so tempted to push him, but thought that might make me an obnoxious guest.

berrda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages berrda
nyesq54 wrote:I was so tempted to push him, but thought that might make me an obnoxious guest.

Oh, so now I'm obnoxious for asking. This whole thing is turning ugly.

(since it has been proven in prior forums that satire doesn't translate well into the typed word, I'm just kidding).

thrawn1020

JOATMON wrote:I had wondered about that.

There's that magical 14% level, with two different tax rates, and you cannot lie about which side of the 14% the wine falls under.

So, another clew, as they say.

But both versions of the label were above the magic 14% line. One was 14.2 and the other was 14.8. So your only hope is to pick out the wine among the red and orange that was closer to 15.8, or rather, over 15.2. If either was. Personally, I don't think the difference was substantial, but for others it might be.

kramsauer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kramsauer

Baaah! When are we going to find out?

Winedavid39

quality posts: 196 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

kramsauer wrote:Baaah! When are we going to find out?

the winners will find out very soon.