+ Add a Comment

Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

Attention, contestants in our Wine.Woot Mystery Wine Challenge! By now, you should have received your Wellington Vineyards order, including the mystery bottle(s). It’s time to pop the cork on it, take a sip or two, and make your best guess as to what varietal you just tasted. No, “Mad Dog 20/20” is not a varietal. If you have any questions about how this works, read the original Wine Challenge announcement or post your question in the discussion forum for this blog post.

Thanks for taking part in the largest wine tasting event in the known universe. We’ll gather the entries and salute the winners in a future blog post. Isn’t that recognition much more meaningful than some vulgar prize like mere money?

hookajoe

quality posts: 11 Private Messages hookajoe

Woo hoo! Can't wait to see the results! When can we expect that, by the way?

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan

Submitted. Fingers Crossed!

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

luckyinla

quality posts: 5 Private Messages luckyinla

I've submitted my guess...I went with my first gut instinct.

The wine seems to be very closed-in and seems to have entered a dumb stage. Sort of a Marcel Meursault.
Paul S. Winalski

my cellartracker
The best use of bad wine is to drive away poor relations.
French proverb

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous

tried all but the pink dot at NoVA / DC #6. submitted guesses for all but that one. let the waiting begin!

do you know... what biodynamics is?

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 47 Private Messages SmilingBoognish

What fun!
I almost wish that all four bottles had been a mystery, I was pretty certain of the varietal before tasting it based on the color and nose. From a marketing perspective, I'm sure WD and SB would have sold less wine, but with all the wine clubs we belong to, even at a bottle a night between the wife and I, the juice just stacks up!

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel

Can somebody who was at NoVA/DC #6 post the order in which we tasted?

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

bunnymasseuse

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bunnymasseuse
Loweeel wrote:Can somebody who was at NoVA/DC #6 post the order in which we tasted?

Looks like green, orange, red, blue based on my pictures taken at the event.

121 Woots and counting

themostrighteous

bunnymasseuse wrote:Looks like green, orange, red, blue based on my pictures taken at the event.

nope. i wrote them down in my notes in the order in which i poured them. we had blue, red, orange & green, in that order.

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
bunnymasseuse wrote:Looks like green, orange, red, blue based on my pictures taken at the event.

I thought blue was first, cuz that's the one I ain't got, and the only one I tried and I recall trying to first one only.

Edit: Or, I could say: I agree with TMR

CT | | | | | |

MaskedMarvel

quality posts: 11 Private Messages MaskedMarvel

What's the deadline for submissions?

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker

Threw in my guess for my measly single red dot mystery bottle. T-byrd invited me over to sample his multiple mystery bottles but he was already down to the punts by the time I got the message.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

nyesq54

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nyesq54

Here's my dilemma: I only ordered one set. I think I know what the varietal is for my mystery wine, but each time I look at the dot I can't decide if its red or orange. Yikes.

UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink
nyesq54 wrote:Here's my dilemma: I only ordered one set. I think I know what the varietal is for my mystery wine, but each time I look at the dot I can't decide if its red or orange. Yikes.

I got one of each, and if there's any doubt it's probably orange.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Tough when you don't know the color. But you can always say you got the wine right, but the color wrong!

I was pretty certain on one of the two I got. Not as certain on the other, but the wine is all gone, so my guesses are in.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

themostrighteous

nyesq54 wrote:Here's my dilemma: I only ordered one set. I think I know what the varietal is for my mystery wine, but each time I look at the dot I can't decide if its red or orange. Yikes.

so enter the same guess for both colors.

jwhite6114

themostrighteous wrote:so enter the same guess for both colors.

Let's see ... five colors, five varietals, ...that would be 25 guesses and my name in lights! Woo hoo!

CT | | | | | |

samiratou

quality posts: 1 Private Messages samiratou

What if we got a bottle that was dot-less? We got two different bottles, one dotted, one not (yes we took apart the paper bags to see if it was in there--no dice). The label was worded slightly differently on each of them, but I don't know if that matters or not.

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker
samiratou wrote:What if we got a bottle that was dot-less? We got two different bottles, one dotted, one not (yes we took apart the paper bags to see if it was in there--no dice). The label was worded slightly differently on each of them, but I don't know if that matters or not.

Sounds like one of the girls owes SB a refund.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 234 Private Messages SonomaBouliste

I let my 14 year old pick the colors. The orange paper dot is a dark orange; the red paper dot is clearly red.

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 234 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
samiratou wrote:What if we got a bottle that was dot-less? We got two different bottles, one dotted, one not (yes we took apart the paper bags to see if it was in there--no dice). The label was worded slightly differently on each of them, but I don't know if that matters or not.

There is some chance that WineDavid might know (w00t might have kept track of who got what). Worth a try. I guess next time I should farm the work out

Should have had my latest blog up by now, but I think WineDavid's e-mail has some gremlins.

jwhite6114

SonomaBouliste wrote:There is some chance that WineDavid might know (w00t might have kept track of who got what). Worth a try. I guess next time I should farm the work out

Should have had my latest blog up by now, but I think WineDavid's e-mail has some gremlins.

Next time? Sweet!

As for farming it out, this was a lot of work and a new task, to boot. I'd give the girls another go (with some lessons learned) before contracting out. Besides, I'd hate to think they might have to go shoeless next school year.

CT | | | | | |

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
jwhite6114 wrote:Next time? Sweet!

As for farming it out, this was a lot of work and a new task, to boot. I'd give the girls another go (with some lessons learned) before contracting out. Besides, I'd hate to think they might have to go shoeless next school year.

Or, heaven forbid, have to wear this year's shoes again.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 47 Private Messages SmilingBoognish
SonomaBouliste wrote:There is some chance that WineDavid might know (w00t might have kept track of who got what). Worth a try. I guess next time I should farm the work out

No way - keep it in the family, I say! A few missing dots and a little color confusion adds to the handcrafted feel...

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
SmilingBoognish wrote:No way - keep it in the family, I say! A few missing dots and a little color confusion adds to the handcrafted feel...

Amen.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki

This should be interesting, still so new to wine, I don't even know half the varietals we're guessing from, and uncertain on the ones I have tasted. If I guess yummy red stuff, I win right?

CT

damightyanteater

quality posts: 12 Private Messages damightyanteater

Made my guess - when will find out what it was?

My last 5 woots:
  • Robert Craig Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon x2
  • Woot Cellars Boss Monster Zinfandel Six - Pack
  • Armida Winery Poizin Trio
  • Olivestri Siloro olio nuovo
  • Wellington Vineyard Designate Cabernet Trio

shh64

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shh64

We tried the red dot bottle last night. I had an idea of what it was so I opened one of that varietal from Wellington. OK, they were different, so I opened another. Also, different. OK, three bottles open now and we keep trying each - glad I was taking today off work anyway. I went with my first thought when I tried before comparing. I think it may be a different year than the varietal I was comparing to. I am excited to find out the answers. I was more certain on the pink dot that I tried earlier in the week.

nyesq54

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nyesq54

Sometimes, you just need to pick a side. Red. Orange. Red.

deaconbluez

quality posts: 1 Private Messages deaconbluez
jwhite6114 wrote:Next time? Sweet!

I caught that, too. Can't wait!

"I prefer a thief to a Congressman. A thief will take your money and be on his way, but a Congressman will stand there and bore you with the reasons why he took it." -Dr. Williams

paryb

quality posts: 17 Private Messages paryb

had the red and pink, when am I gonna know how right or wrong I am!!!

189 Bottles of wine from Woot so far!
$3319.36or a mere $17.56 per bottle.

wine.woot Keeping Paryb in the red(and sometimes white) since 5/9/2007

christmaspie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages christmaspie

Had the orange dot. I really liked it but doubt I got it right. We'll see...

Oh, hey. All I ever wanted was marshmallows on my sweet potatoes...

randysanders

quality posts: 5 Private Messages randysanders

I got the orange dot, and it was very easy to deduce what we had...
it was clearly orange!

Wigdog

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Wigdog
randysanders wrote:I got the orange dot, and it was very easy to deduce what we had...
it was clearly orange!

I had the green dot. Bride and I each tasted and immediately said the same thing, so that was our guess.

"I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret."
Basil Fawlty

MaskedMarvel

quality posts: 11 Private Messages MaskedMarvel

Four picks entered. It wasn't as easy as I'd thought. I'm tempted to double-enter my two extra bottles. But I won't....

Good luck everyone!

jwhite6114

MaskedMarvel wrote:Four picks entered. It wasn't as easy as I'd thought. I'm tempted to double-enter my two extra bottles. But I won't....

Good luck everyone!

Just entered my second guess. Red dot this time. I had no question from the very beginning on this bottle; now to see if I am right

CT | | | | | |

kramsauer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kramsauer

Red dot here. Instantly knew what it was. So either I know what I'm talking about or I'm more stupid than even I think.

yathink2

quality posts: 4 Private Messages yathink2

I got an Orange dot. I think I know what it was, so heres to guessing....

vaaccess

quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess
jwhite6114 wrote:Just entered my second guess. Red dot this time. I had no question from the very beginning on this bottle; now to see if I am right

Ditto...I hope I was right!

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

tomatillo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages tomatillo

Green dot. Haven't opened the red, yet.
3 drinkers, 1 novice and 2 long termers.
Nobody could agree.
But it went well with the veggie pizza we had 4 lunch.
Pity the clients who were scheduled for later that day.

vaaccess: by the way, nice wine cooler pic in your sig.