Lighter

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Lighter
dnasquesttoblack3000 wrote:i think its a princess bride joke

They are pervasive. MdaS's comment was a line from, well, PB

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney
bhodilee wrote:Anyone who makes the extra effort to go to an actual butcher is OK by me. Where you at?

Fort Lauderdale - Smitty's. Their site is apparently being constructed but if you are ever in the area they have great stuff all around, meat, cheese, wine and (I may be crazy but) the best Salsa I've ever had - make sure you ask Kev to hop it up.

CT

dnasquesttoblack3000

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dnasquesttoblack3000
Lighter wrote:They are pervasive. MdaS's comment was a line from, well, PB

oh i see -one more level of compelixty! well then...jokes on me or rather, 'the battle of wits has begun'.

the quest:

1. humbug 2. GV's book 3. Wellington 3+mystery (X2) 4. woot norse thingy with funny bottle (X2) 5. va made me buy gundlach, 6. your mumm 7. willy nilly pinots 8. emergency woot wine 9. fake gunbun, 10. ty field 11. tryasipo'dis

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
bkarney wrote:Fort Lauderdale - Smitty's. Their site is apparently being constructed but if you are ever in the area they have great stuff all around, meat, cheese, wine and (I may be crazy but) the best Salsa I've ever had - make sure you ask Kev to hop it up.

That's like the best of all worlds! Butcher shop I go to is literally just meat and a little bit of cheese. I went into another butcher shop and I'm talking to the guy about the meat and I hear BAAAAAHHHHH from the back room and I was like wait, was that a sheep? Turns out this particular place is an ACTUAL butcher shop, bring it in live, send it out cut. Sadly, you can only buy in quarters or more and they source their beef from ND, seriously, PAAAaaaAAaaaanCAAAAAKES!? ND? You can even dispatch your own critter if you want. Too creepy for me, I stuck with my original butcher Just Good Meat. Not hard to figure out what they specialize in ;)

Oh, and they ship, but they've no website. It's REAL old school at that place. Nebraska beef, Iowa pork. It's like heaven, and they've got this ridiculous good bacon they make from brisket. In fact I'm headed there Friday morning. They got this "day old" steak box you can buy for 80 bucks, 15lbs of various steaks. Great deal and who cares if it's a day old. It's aged anyway.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bkarney

bhodilee wrote:You can even dispatch your own critter if you want.

Oh, and they ship, but they've no website.

So if I send them the opossum that I hit this morning on the way to work I can have it in a stew!?

"Bubba" comes to mind! popcorn opossum, opossum kabobs, you get the idea

CT

bhodilee

bkarney wrote:So if I send them the opossum that I hit this morning on the way to work I can have it in a stew!?

"Bubba" comes to mind! popcorn opossum, opossum kabobs, you get the idea

No, the place I actually shop at ships
I decided not to buy from the we kill it on site place. there is a BBQ place in town that has a sign that says You kill it, we'll smoke it though. And apparently they're dead serious as someone had them smoke a raccoon. I've never had raccoon, have had snapping turtle though. chewy but good

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

sasnakra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sasnakra

Late Breaking News Bulletin....FedEx just delivered an InZINerator to unsuspecting LaBrat....Details will follow upon carefully controlled sampling.....In this related story.....Wine.Woot sells out of InZINerator faster than FedEx can deliver....we now return you to your regularly scheduled comments.

Block 13 Cabernet Sauvignon - 4 Pack; Sake One Sampler of Six with Gift Box; Three Screaming Purple Monkeys; Toothstejnn - 6 pack; Scott Harvey In-ZINerator threesome; Wellington Three-Pack + Mystery; Ty Caton 2005 - Field Blend Three-pack; Ty Caton Three-pack Sampler (1st group); Iron Horse Cabernet Franc - Three-pack; Epiphany Winery Spring Trio; Wellington 2003 Cuveé R Syrah 3-Pack; Pedroncelli Quartet; Helix Three Pack + One; Vino Noceto Quartet

wootvirgin69

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wootvirgin69
MarkDaSpark wrote:You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Stop that rhyming, and I mean it!!

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
wootvirgin69 wrote:Stop that rhyming, and I mean it!!

Anybody want a peanut?

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki

Wow, these got out fast. Got mine this morning. Nice job

btw when I got off work and went home yesterday with the box of Wellingtons that arrived, my roommate asked me if I was turning into an alcoholic. I hope she's not there when I get back today :P

CT

tomatillo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages tomatillo

My wellington times 2 arrived 10 minutes ago in soggy Minnesota.
2 cheerful mystery dots included, red and green.
Can Christmas be coming so soon?

While we've had amazing October blizzards in the Twin Cities in years past, it would be interesting to see the reactions of the big convention, next week, to a couple feet of snow. But, we could just as well have 100 degrees and 99.9% humidity. Perverse climate. At least we don't have the air pollution my relatives in Denver breathe. Just humongous mosquitos.

tkastorff

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tkastorff
ksims81 wrote:My husband and I are taking our first trip out to Sonoma this weekend to celebrate one whole year of marital bliss. The number of wineries is so overwhelming! Can you recommend some that aren't to be missed? We're staying in Santa Rosa at the Fountaingrove Inn, and we'll have 3 full days and a few hours on Monday.

First, congrats

Will help if you can describe what you like/don't like in terms of wine, variety, winery, scenery, food, etc

Here is a link to my GF/my trip to Napa in May ...
http://tinyurl.com/5sozdm

I highly recommend Rombauer, Frank Family Vineyards, Schramsberg Vineyards (call way in advance for a tour, sells out), Oakville Grocery / Taylor's Refresher / Tra Vigne / Mustard's for food

In fact I would call EVERY winery you want to go to and see about tastings/reservations to be safe. Many that we went to were slammed, and it is summer

GL and have fun, dress light, very hot and humid

w.w bottles| 308 L: Spelletich Lodi Sangiovese

"Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad wine"

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
bhodilee wrote:That's like the best of all worlds! Butcher shop I go to is literally just meat and a little bit of cheese. I went into another butcher shop and I'm talking to the guy about the meat and I hear BAAAAAHHHHH from the back room and I was like wait, was that a sheep? Turns out this particular place is an ACTUAL butcher shop, bring it in live, send it out cut. Sadly, you can only buy in quarters or more and they source their beef from ND, seriously, PAAAaaaAAaaaanCAAAAAKES!? ND? You can even dispatch your own critter if you want. Too creepy for me, I stuck with my original butcher Just Good Meat. Not hard to figure out what they specialize in ;)

Oh, and they ship, but they've no website. It's REAL old school at that place. Nebraska beef, Iowa pork. It's like heaven, and they've got this ridiculous good bacon they make from brisket. In fact I'm headed there Friday morning. They got this "day old" steak box you can buy for 80 bucks, 15lbs of various steaks. Great deal and who cares if it's a day old. It's aged anyway.

If anybody else wants to buy the lamb from there, I'll cook it. Bhodi, if you could somehow find out if they can do the lamb equivalent of skirt/hanger steak... I would be grateful. If you can get it shipped to me, I'll be eternally in your debt.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

bhodilee

Loweeel wrote:If anybody else wants to buy the lamb from there, I'll cook it. Bhodi, if you could somehow find out if they can do the lamb equivalent of skirt/hanger steak... I would be grateful. If you can get it shipped to me, I'll be eternally in your debt.

See, I need to learn to type more clearly.

The place that does their own slaughter is NOT the place I go.
If the place I go does do their own Slaughter you never hear the F'n thing bleet in the backroom. Would there even be enough meat on a lamb to do a skirt steak? I'll ask the place I actually shop at on Friday about that. They deliver everywhere in the country.

Loweeel

bhodilee wrote:See, I need to learn to type more clearly.

The place that does their own slaughter is NOT the place I go.
If the place I go does do their own Slaughter you never hear the F'n thing bleet in the backroom. Would there even be enough meat on a lamb to do a skirt steak? I'll ask the place I actually shop at on Friday about that. They deliver everywhere in the country.

Between the inside skirt, outside skirt, and the hanger, there should be. oooh... but there's an idea -- Veal Skirt!!!

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

bhodilee

Loweeel wrote:Between the inside skirt, outside skirt, and the hanger, there should be. oooh... but there's an idea -- Veal Skirt!!!

sure, now that would work and be delicious. I'll ask about the lamb though and if they do I'll try to get you prices and their email, if they even have one. I kid you not about this place being old school.

Cesare

quality posts: 1559 Private Messages Cesare
Loweeel wrote:Between the inside skirt, outside skirt, and the hanger, there should be. oooh... but there's an idea -- Veal Skirt!!!

I had veal skirt at a local Argentinian butcher/restaurant in Queens. Yum.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

Loweeel

Cesare wrote:I had veal skirt at a local Argentinian butcher/restaurant in Queens. Yum.

Must go there next time I'm on the guyland.

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

bkarney

Cesare wrote:I had veal skirt at a local Argentinian butcher/restaurant in Queens. Yum.

That would be interesting, how did they (or you) prep it? No pounding right?

CT

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
bhodilee wrote:sure, now that would work and be delicious. I'll ask about the lamb though and if they do I'll try to get you prices and their email, if they even have one. I kid you not about this place being old school.

all this talk of meat is making me hungry!

CT | | | | | |

chad1323ross

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chad1323ross
ksims81 wrote:My husband and I are taking our first trip out to Sonoma this weekend to celebrate one whole year of marital bliss. The number of wineries is so overwhelming! Can you recommend some that aren't to be missed? We're staying in Santa Rosa at the Fountaingrove Inn, and we'll have 3 full days and a few hours on Monday.

If you happen to get over to Napa, you gotta have dinner at Ubuntu. With out a doubt, one of the best meals I've ever had. It is a vegetarian restaurant, but you won't miss the meat! I didn't!

222 bottles and counting.

Loweeel

chad1323ross wrote:If you happen to get over to Napa, you gotta have dinner at Ubuntu. With out a doubt, one of the best meals I've ever had. It is a vegetarian restaurant, but you won't miss the meat! I didn't!

The vietnamese place next door is way better. It's also not named after a linux flavor.

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

bhodilee

Loweeel wrote:The vietnamese place next door is way better. It's also not named after a linux flavor.

man that's the magic word right there, Vietnamese. Yum.

Loweeel

bhodilee wrote:man that's the magic word right there, Vietnamese. Yum.

First time I ever even liked eggplant, let alone asked for seconds.

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

chad1323ross

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chad1323ross
Loweeel wrote:The vietnamese place next door is way better. It's also not named after a linux flavor.

Yea, that Viet place was pretty good, but really didn't even compare to Ubuntu, in my opinion.

Funny, though - when our server greeted us, he asked if we knew what Ubuntu meant. Of course, I said it's a flavor of Linux and he claimed to have never heard of Linux before. He did seem impressed that I knew it meant 'humanity' in Zulu.

222 bottles and counting.

bhodilee

Loweeel wrote:First time I ever even liked eggplant, let alone asked for seconds.

Yeah, great food, maybe I'll go tonight since I've no food out for dinner. Also, did you eat at Ubuntu I take it? Cause their menu talks about their, wait for it, biodynamic garden.

sandtrap

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sandtrap

Where are the labrat reports? You don't get to be lazy just because the wine is SOLD OUT!!!!

bkarney

sandtrap wrote:Where are the labrat reports? You don't get to be lazy just because the wine is SOLD OUT!!!!

We're working, will pop and pour when I get home and start prepping dinner! Notes will follow shortly thereafter.

CT

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan

NYTimes on "Low" Alcohol Beers

Appears to mirror what's starting to happen in wine, where people are finding that there's more to life than high-alcohol, high-concentration, high-sugar super-drinks.

I think it's a general increase in sophistication in the palate of the populace.

On a side note, I love how 4.8% is considered "Low" in alcohol, I'm not that old and I still remember when Bud Heavy was around 4%

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

Loweeel

bhodilee wrote:Yeah, great food, maybe I'll go tonight since I've no food out for dinner. Also, did you eat at Ubuntu I take it? Cause their menu talks about their, wait for it, biodynamic garden.

I don't eat at vegetarian places. Vegetables aren't food, they're what food eats.

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

bkarney

Loweeel wrote:I don't eat at vegetarian places. Vegetables aren't food, they're what food eats.

If we weren't supposed to eat animals than why are they made out of meat!? who's quote is that (or paraphrase)....it is escaping me right now

CT

Cesare

quality posts: 1559 Private Messages Cesare
bkarney wrote:If we weren't supposed to eat animals than why are they made out of meat!? who's quote is that (or paraphrase)....it is escaping me right now

Sounds like Homer Simpson.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki

I've never been to the Vietnamese place, but I agree Ubuntu is awesome. Most of the pure veggie places I get dragged to have been okay, but Ubuntu's definitely one of the better meals I've had. Then again, the strawberry pizza tastes like bacon

CT

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
bkarney wrote:If we weren't supposed to eat animals than why are they made out of meat!? who's quote is that (or paraphrase)....it is escaping me right now

I saw a bumper sticker that said that, but I don't recall it being attributed to anyone either real or cartoon (if Homer Simpson didn't say it, he should have).

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 151 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines
tenuki wrote:Oops, sent an e-mail to Scott for the pic, guess I should have hit refresh or just assumed one of you crazy active people would beat me to it :P Thanks for posting HAK. Agreed, nice work Sarah.

Hmm, what other good wineries are there out in Amador? Maybe I should make a trip of it to pick some up later.

Edit: Oops, I'm confused, is Amador just where the grapes are from? The winery's in Napa though?

Time to get back on the board before the time runs out. Been busy taking care of the Riesling that was picked last Saturday. Got the timing right for the harvest so that the flavors and specs are what we are looking for, for a medium dry low alcohol Riesling. Anyway, to answer your question, we have two tasting rooms. One in Napa at Silenus Vintners at 5225 Solano Ave., Napa CA 94558. This one is just south of Yountville on the west side of highway 29. The other tasting room is in Sutter Creek in Amador County 21 Eureka St, Sutter Creek, CA 95685 and is run by my duaghter Paulette. Phone is 209 267-0122. There are a number of great tasting rooms in Amador. Some of my favorites are Brea, Vino Noceto, Spinetta and Runquist.

ScottHarveyWines

damightyanteater wrote:How tall are the bottles?

I like to store my consumed bottles, but they don't all fit (sometimes too tall).

Bottles are 11 and 3/4 inches high.

mewalk707

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mewalk707

Same neighborhood: Cole's Chop House. Yumm!

mewalk707

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mewalk707
Loweeel wrote:I don't eat at vegetarian places. Vegetables aren't food, they're what food eats.

Exactly so.

ScottHarveyWines

bhodilee wrote:Scott, why did you choose Germany to go to school? It's not the first country I think of when I think wine, though they turn out some great wines.

When I appleid to be a AFS excahnge student in 1970 in high school, my first choice was Afghanistan and I was accepted. I had read Micthner's book Caravans and thought it romantic. Between the time I was accepted and I was to leave my brother was killed in an auto accident and my parents divorced. AFS then thought I had to much stress and rescinded me being able to go at all. Not being one to give up, I appleid again for AFS the next year and was accepted for a summer excahnge program to Germeny. Athough I was born in Germeny and had conversational knowlegde of German I was a little disappointed. We'll I was was lucky because it changed my life. I was placed in a winemaking area and have been in the business ever sence. I'm still very close to the family and will be visiting them again this November. They, their children and grand children have all been here many time and the younger ones have helped out working in the vineyard and winery. Good thing I did not go to Afghanistan, or I might be sitting in Guntanamo Bay right now.

duck833

quality posts: 0 Private Messages duck833

Hope the InZinerator's comes in this week. Am smoking 70 lbs of brisket for the Oregon/Huskey football game on Saturday. I think some zin's would be great with the brisket.

good food, good wine, bad girl = great evening