conroo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages conroo

In for zin! If you labrat me, please e-mail! Thanks!

W:too many to count
WW:too many to count
SW:too many to count
SOW:too many to count

mydoppelganger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mydoppelganger
aces219 wrote:General guidance for a dinner party is half a bottle per guest (assuming everyone drinks). So you would need 10 bottles. If you are having a dinner party for wine.woot wineaux, you would need a bottle per person. They were commenting on their lush-ciousness, not your guests.

Regarding your original question, I'd be more likely to pair elegant cab or big merlot with a roast than zin. I don't think the zin would be bad (and certainly Scott's wines are awesome) just not a traditional pairing.

Thanks Aces. This is for a meal after an afternoon wedding reception, so the guests will have already had food and drink. At least half need to drive home shortly after eating, so I might go up to 7 or 8 bottles, but this is not the main event.

You've answered my question about food pairing. I bet that the Wellington Syrahs I still have would go well here...

I've yet to try a red zin, but it's on my list. White zin was awful, so I'm hoping that the red zin is nothing like it.

I am not who I think I am.

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
polarbear22 wrote:After getting 34 bottles delivered last Thursday, SWMBO is going to be a little ticked off that I am buying both this week. But Scott Harvey is up there with Wellington and Ty Caton for me.

So are you saying I should buy this offering from Scott (which I'd have to only go in for one) and skip the whole next month and a half, even though my birthday is Sept 26th and I was probably going to buy during my b-day week? I was really hoping I could hold off on any more purchases for awhile...

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
conroo wrote:I for zin! If you labrat me, please e-mail! Thanks!

If you only just now purchased, then you already missed the cutoff for labrat status. So it doesn't matter.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
mydoppelganger wrote:I've yet to try a red zin, but it's on my list. White zin was awful, so I'm hoping that the red zin is nothing like it.

Comparing a white zin to a red zin is like comparing a McDonalds burger to a nice steak. Origins may be roughly the same, but there's a world difference in the results.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

coynedj

Oh, fiddlesticks. After a wallet-friendly stretch in July, August has turned out to be my record-setter for most woots in a month.

But the bottles sure do look cool. I'm in.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

conroo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages conroo
HitAnyKey42 wrote:If you only just now purchased, then you already missed the cutoff for labrat status. So it doesn't matter.

Nah, I purchased earlier this morning, but didn't post. I know the rules. After all, I do have a black "better than anyone else" square!

W:too many to count
WW:too many to count
SW:too many to count
SOW:too many to count

yumitori

quality posts: 22 Private Messages yumitori
ScottHarveyWines wrote:
Needless to say the labels have beeen a bit controversal, North Carolina has out lawed them all together saying they appeal to much to miners like Joe Camel does.

I've never noticed a need to do anything at all to make alcohol appealing to minors.

Pointing out that if the state of North Carolina is indeed correct then these bottles are at least encouraging teens to drink good wine won't carry any weight, I suppose ...

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 35 Private Messages ddeuddeg
polarbear22 wrote:I agree and had the same personal recollection. I really hope to see that on Thursday, and will be prepared to buy multiples when it does.

After getting 34 bottles delivered last Thursday, SWMBO is going to be a little ticked off that I am buying both this week. But Scott Harvey is up there with Wellington and Ty Caton for me.

Ditto here on the Barbera, but only 34 bottles last Thursday? We got the rpm wine, the Wellington, the Zahtila Chard, all at once, for a total of 55 bottles. And now, to top it off, the advantage(?) of having SWMBO on the tour: asking me how many of these I'm going to buy, and if the Barbera comes up Thursday, I'll be trying to out-duel her for first sucker. And this isn't supposed to be a contest.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

Routerhead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Routerhead

In! Please labrat me - I'm finally in town all week!

jkwest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jkwest

nice!!! I can rest for a couple of days.../sigh

Maybe Thursdays will be more down our alley.

Wine only comes in one color...Red...

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 157 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines
canonizer wrote:Is it hard to get 3 labels for the same wine passed through the board of alcohol and tobaccy?

Could you comment further on the RS? Seems high compared to what we are used to, but the opportunity to purchase a non 15%+ zin excites me.

Most of my wines are strictly made in the old world style that can be laid down for 6 to 10 years. This wine is made in between the the old world and new world styles. With the low pH it still has some good old world characteristics, but the .8RS gives it the user friendlyness of a new world wine. It is made to be about a three to five year wine. So I would drink it wintin the next year.
Since I'm getting known for my stories, I'll tell a story about when I went ot winemaking school (Weinbau Schule) in Germany in 1975. The marketing professor came into the class at the beginning of the semester and wrote one sentence across the chalk board. He said all we had to do is remember this sentence and we would pass the class. it said "Wein ist nicht verkauft bis es auf bei Mauer gepisst wirt." Which in English is "wine isn't sold until it is pissed against the wall" I raised my hand and said "In America we call that sell through" So, in other words, enjoy the wine now and buy some more. One of favorite stories, hope I haven't offended anyone.

srisbon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages srisbon

Seriously. North Carolina banned the sale of these bottles because they appeal to minors?!? I have to be honest, I really don't know many minors that are looking to spend $18+ on a bottle of wine... I really wanted to try this offering (and get the bottles).... Maybe I will have better luck on Thursday. Sigh. Thanks NC ALE (or whatever stupid government entity that is responsible for this ridiculousness.) Those buggers.

ddeuddeg

ScottHarveyWines wrote:. it said "Wein ist nicht verkauft bis es auf bei Mauer gepisst wirt." Which in English is "wine isn't sold until it is pissed against the wall" I raised my hand and said "In America we call that sell through" So, in other words, enjoy the wine now and buy some more. One of favorite stories, hope I haven't offended anyone.

Even with my German as rusty as it is, I did pretty well translating that. Another great SH story.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

ddeuddeg

mydoppelganger wrote:Thanks Aces. This is for a meal after an afternoon wedding reception, so the guests will have already had food and drink. At least half need to drive home shortly after eating, so I might go up to 7 or 8 bottles, but this is not the main event.

You've answered my question about food pairing. I bet that the Wellington Syrahs I still have would go well here...

I've yet to try a red zin, but it's on my list. White zin was awful, so I'm hoping that the red zin is nothing like it.

The advice from Aces is spot on, IMHO. While I would typically sneer at a comment that included the words "not the traditional pairing," this is one of the times I totally agree, and that's coming from a Zin lover. I'll pair Zin with lots of things, including T-day turkey and stuffing, but with a roast, I'm with Aces. Having said all that, I can't fault the Wellington Syrah choice. While I wouldn't necessarily have made that selection, I think it will work nicely.
Now, by all means, try a red Zin. This week's offer is a good place to start.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
ScottHarveyWines wrote:Time to get on the board and tell you about the wine. First off the labels. Our nephew Michael Harants designed them all. After he finished graphics school at Long Beach State, we siad " Now that you're out of graphics school it's time to got too work" I said I wanted a label that he as a 26 year old would buy. He came up with three examples to choose from. Jana and I likes them all. With today's technology we decided to have them printed three up thus putting four bottles of each label in a case. The front labels are graphics only. It is the back label that tells you what the wine is and gives you the vintage date, which is 2004. Needless to say the labels have beeen a bit controversal, North Carolina has out lawed them all together saying they appeal to much to miners like Joe Camel does. Mike also designed the Jana label and the Angel ice label. He has sence gone off to be very succeseful in the graphic arts world. The next InZinerator bottling will have a new graphic designed by Sarah, who posted earlier. It is called the femnight. The future bottlings will rotate through different graphics with each bottling. Now about the wine. The wine is made to be user friendly and to have fun with. It's low pH of 3.4 allows it to have enough acidity to go with food, but it also has .8% residual sugar that allows it to be consumed alone with good company and a cigar as some of our fellow wine wooter did here at our place under the Napa Valley oaks next to the vineyard. It's lower alcohol allows it to be a wine by the glass where you can enjoy it for lunch and still go back to work. Again my European training showing through. This is the tail end of the vinatge, so we were only able to release 150 cases of wine for wine woot. After that, we'll have to wait for the new wine with Sarah's femnight label, which will be 2006 vintage. We did not bottle a 2005.

Only 150 cases means:

Last wooter to woot:
me

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

ddeuddeg

ScottHarveyWines wrote: With the low pH it still has some good old world characteristics, but the .8RS gives it the user friendlyness of a new world wine.

This is just what I've been looking for: something to try to wean the 83-year-old house guest off white zin, although I do appreciate her help getting rid of the stuff someone gave me, erroneously thinking it was wine. It was at her house we enjoyed the earthquake last month just before heading back to Buffalo last month. Not the Earthquake. That's in Lodi, IIRC.

bhodilee

shh64 wrote:In for two, one for me and one for a gift for a friend who shares my interest in both wine and graphic novels. Seeing the number available in Scott's post above, needed to jump on this now rather than wait until I get home from work tonight since it may not last that long.

Scott Harvey InZINerator - Three Pack
Current numbers (updated each minute):
First sucker: MaskedMarvel
Speed to first woot: 0m 7.030s

Last wooter to woot: shh64

Really? I gotta party with you guys. I'm a comic book nerd from WAY back. If I totalled up all the money I'd spent on comics in my life I coulda, well I'm already sounding too geeky.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

bhodilee

Lighter wrote:He who hesitates - and so forth. Now that I've done the deal I've been reflecting on Scott's comment about his target audience. Did I just buy a 2008 version of Ripple?

everytime someone mentions ripple I get sad that Redd Foxx is dead and go home and watch Sanford and Son. That's a top five tv show right there. You Big Dummy!

bhodilee

ScottHarveyWines wrote:Most of my wines are strictly made in the old world style that can be laid down for 6 to 10 years. This wine is made in between the the old world and new world styles. With the low pH it still has some good old world characteristics, but the .8RS gives it the user friendlyness of a new world wine. It is made to be about a three to five year wine. So I would drink it wintin the next year.
Since I'm getting known for my stories, I'll tell a story about when I went ot winemaking school (Weinbau Schule) in Germany in 1975. The marketing professor came into the class at the beginning of the semester and wrote one sentence across the chalk board. He said all we had to do is remember this sentence and we would pass the class. it said "Wein ist nicht verkauft bis es auf bei Mauer gepisst wirt." Which in English is "wine isn't sold until it is pissed against the wall" I raised my hand and said "In America we call that sell through" So, in other words, enjoy the wine now and buy some more. One of favorite stories, hope I haven't offended anyone.

Offend? I want WD to put that on a sticker for the next woot giveaway

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
ddeuddeg wrote:Ditto here on the Barbera, but only 34 bottles last Thursday? We got the rpm wine, the Wellington, the Zahtila Chard, all at once, for a total of 55 bottles. And now, to top it off, the advantage(?) of having SWMBO on the tour: asking me how many of these I'm going to buy, and if the Barbera comes up Thursday, I'll be trying to out-duel her for first sucker. And this isn't supposed to be a contest.

there were two of you buying on the rpm tour, so I think that accounts for the extra 20 bottles. (I had rpm wine, first Wellington and Zahtilla Cab.)

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

polarbear22

HitAnyKey42 wrote:So are you saying I should buy this offering from Scott (which I'd have to only go in for one) and skip the whole next month and a half, even though my birthday is Sept 26th and I was probably going to buy during my b-day week? I was really hoping I could hold off on any more purchases for awhile...

I am trying to do just that. But that WD is one clever wily fellow. He'll sneak in another "can't skip" in before we know it.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

wootvirgin69

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wootvirgin69

Wait, let me get this straight...a very affordable Cali Zin, low acidity, .8 RS (meaning very drinkable in ANY CIRCUMSTANCE), and a great label to boot? This is a tough one....let me think about it....OK, done (just enough time to click that nice gold button).

necyclone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages necyclone

In for 2- last SH offering was well worth the space on the wine rack (short lived) and the price.

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
ScottHarveyWines wrote:Time to get on the board and tell you about the wine. First off the labels. Our nephew Michael Harants designed them all. After he finished graphics school at Long Beach State, we siad " Now that you're out of graphics school it's time to got too work" I said I wanted a label that he as a 26 year old would buy. He came up with three examples to choose from. Jana and I likes them all. With today's technology we decided to have them printed three up thus putting four bottles of each label in a case. The front labels are graphics only. It is the back label that tells you what the wine is and gives you the vintage date, which is 2004. Needless to say the labels have beeen a bit controversal, North Carolina has out lawed them all together saying they appeal to much to miners like Joe Camel does. Mike also designed the Jana label and the Angel ice label. He has sence gone off to be very succeseful in the graphic arts world. The next InZinerator bottling will have a new graphic designed by Sarah, who posted earlier. It is called the femnight. The future bottlings will rotate through different graphics with each bottling. Now about the wine. The wine is made to be user friendly and to have fun with. It's low pH of 3.4 allows it to have enough acidity to go with food, but it also has .8% residual sugar that allows it to be consumed alone with good company and a cigar as some of our fellow wine wooter did here at our place under the Napa Valley oaks next to the vineyard. It's lower alcohol allows it to be a wine by the glass where you can enjoy it for lunch and still go back to work. Again my European training showing through. This is the tail end of the vinatge, so we were only able to release 150 cases of wine for wine woot. After that, we'll have to wait for the new wine with Sarah's femnight label, which will be 2006 vintage. We did not bottle a 2005.

Any chance we can see a pic of the femnight label? Might have to pick a few of those up and try to get a couple girls I know to try more reds. Maybe it's wrong to assume they'd be more appealing to girls though?

CT

coynedj

ScottHarveyWines wrote: The future bottlings will rotate through different graphics with each bottling.

Scott - does this mean that we loyal wooters just might see an annual offering of not-legal-in-North-Carolina zin? It might be fun to collect all those wild bottles!

shh64

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shh64
bhodilee wrote:Really? I gotta party with you guys. I'm a comic book nerd from WAY back. If I totalled up all the money I'd spent on comics in my life I coulda, well I'm already sounding too geeky.

Come on out to Seattle and we can do some wine tasting combined with comic book discussions (and we are sci fi readers as well, so we can weave that in if you are interested). I was a comics fan as a kid, then got hooked again about 10 years ago - Watchmen was recommended to me and that did it. When I finished it I turned to my wife and said "that was one of the best things I ever read."

Do you still buy and read comics? Any recommendations?

ddeuddeg

polarbear22 wrote:there were two of you buying on the rpm tour, so I think that accounts for the extra 20 bottles.

Touché!

dnasquesttoblack3000

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dnasquesttoblack3000

hey everyone - our working group is trying to plan a small conference in napa or sonoma. basically about 50-ish people. we'd like to be able to stay somewhere, and then have that place have a room where we could stick about 50 people, have a projector, and give talks and stuff. basically, talks in the morning, wine in the afternoon!

does anyone have any suggestions for such a place?

thanks!

the quest:

1. humbug 2. GV's book 3. Wellington 3+mystery (X2) 4. woot norse thingy with funny bottle (X2) 5. va made me buy gundlach, 6. your mumm 7. willy nilly pinots 8. emergency woot wine 9. fake gunbun, 10. ty field 11. tryasipo'dis

ddeuddeg

polarbear22 wrote:I am trying to do just that. But that WD is one clever wily fellow. He'll sneak in another "can't skip" in before we know it.

Really. You saw my post last week, begging for a couple of weeks of plonk? Yeah, right. In for 2, and if I don't keep a close eye on SWMBO, she might just order some, as well.

bhodilee

shh64 wrote:Come on out to Seattle and we can do some wine tasting combined with comic book discussions (and we are sci fi readers as well, so we can weave that in if you are interested). I was a comics fan as a kid, then got hooked again about 10 years ago - Watchmen was recommended to me and that did it. When I finished it I turned to my wife and said "that was one of the best things I ever read."

Do you still buy and read comics? Any recommendations?

Ten years ago I went to the comic store, picked up my monthly allotment (literally 96 titles at the time) put them in my car and thought, gee, I can either afford my car or these comics. I decided on the car as women liked the car and not so much the comics. My mind was sad, but my other mind was happy. Haven't been back since, cause I couldn't afford all of what I'd buy.

ddeuddeg

bhodilee wrote:Offend? I want WD to put that on a sticker for the next woot giveaway

Another Bowtie masterpiece!

dnasquesttoblack3000

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dnasquesttoblack3000

to quote the juvies, ZOMG!!!!

i was gonna woot this and send it along to loon, my loonlegger, and lo and behold this wine isn't shippable to new hampshire! i thought new hampshire let everything through! isn't drink wine or die their motto?!!!

the quest:

1. humbug 2. GV's book 3. Wellington 3+mystery (X2) 4. woot norse thingy with funny bottle (X2) 5. va made me buy gundlach, 6. your mumm 7. willy nilly pinots 8. emergency woot wine 9. fake gunbun, 10. ty field 11. tryasipo'dis

bhodilee

ddeuddeg wrote:Another Bowtie masterpiece!

Like you wouldn't put that on your car. Well, actually it'd probably be bad form to have that in the school lot. I'd put it on mine though. In German or English, or Gerlish like my neighbor used to speak.

bhodilee

dnasquesttoblack3000 wrote:to quote the juvies, ZOMG!!!!

i was gonna woot this and send it along to loon, my loonlegger, and lo and behold this wine isn't shippable to new hampshire! i thought new hampshire let everything through! isn't drink wine or die their motto?!!!

yeah, that's funny. I think we should start a letter writing campaign to change their license plates as that's not living up to the state's so called ideals

ddeuddeg

bhodilee wrote:Like you wouldn't put that on your car. Well, actually it'd probably be bad form to have that in the school lot. I'd put it on mine though. In German or English, or Gerlish like my neighbor used to speak.

Auf Deutsch, I'd probably get away with it.

bhodilee

ddeuddeg wrote:Auf Deutsch, I'd probably get away with it.

yeah, Deutsch would be funner.

shh64

bhodilee wrote:Ten years ago I went to the comic store, picked up my monthly allotment (literally 96 titles at the time) put them in my car and thought, gee, I can either afford my car or these comics. I decided on the car as women liked the car and not so much the comics. My mind was sad, but my other mind was happy. Haven't been back since, cause I couldn't afford all of what I'd buy.

Yea, sounds like a good choice. You really did have a bad (or maybe good) habit, so going cold turkey was the way to go...

shh64

dnasquesttoblack3000 wrote:hey everyone - our working group is trying to plan a small conference in napa or sonoma. basically about 50-ish people. we'd like to be able to stay somewhere, and then have that place have a room where we could stick about 50 people, have a projector, and give talks and stuff. basically, talks in the morning, wine in the afternoon!

does anyone have any suggestions for such a place?

thanks!

About 10 years ago we had an offsite meeting with 15-20 people at the Sonoma Mission Inn and Spa. It was a great setting.

polarbear22

dnasquesttoblack3000 wrote:to quote the juvies, ZOMG!!!!

CT wootlegger here if needed.

My Cellar