sasnakra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sasnakra

Short LaBrat review of the 2004 InZINerator:
Excellent, fresh zinfandel, smooth, and a great lingering finish. Nine thumbs up (explained below in the longer version).

Following the Wine.Woot.com advice, I have my Wine.Woots delivered to my office. Normally this system works great – however, had I not dared dream of actually being selected as a LaBrat…well consider the following. Some of it’s a blur, but I do remember seeing the FedEx label, opening the box, the interesting graphics on the bottle, and the suddenly formed small crowd outside my office – not unlike sharks sensing blood in the water. After looking into the eyes of this thirsty crowd, I decided my best hope was to stage a rare, impromptu, mid-day Wine.Woot tasting. So I called upon eight of my dear follow office mates to assist (OK, they had heard of the “free” wine and I didn’t have to call very loudly – they just stayed and refused to leave). It’s good to have friends.

Luckily, I carefully paired the 2004 InZinerator with a fine Italian sausage pizza (leftovers that I had happened to bring today for my lunch) – sometimes things just work out all by themselves! Then I opened the bottle to breathe for approximately 45 minutes. I briefly considered decanting into a spare glass coffee carafe (lucky for Woot science that I re-thought before contaminating the wine – who knows where that carafe had been).

Let the tasting begin. In a scientific-like process, not unlike the infamous ‘lost’ Myth Buster episode involving dry ice, grape Kool-Aid, a Chihuahua, and 100-feet of bungee-cord….but lets not get off track….the tasting. We carefully poured, swirled, examined the color, sniffed, and finally tasted (mostly in that order). Within our diverse group – the overall reactions and comments were very positive. The zinfandel had a very good, fresh fruit smell, pleasant and not artificial smelling. The color was slightly lighter than expected and that of many of the recent zins. Taste was smooth, with a lingering finish – again a very pleasant experience. Our sample didn’t have a strong alcoholic taste – very drinkable. Overall, our part-time scientist gave InZINerator a unanimous ‘nine thumbs up’ (soon to be recommended as a national standard for wine tastings). The only remotely negative comment was from one poor individual, who after seeing the label graphics on Monday – made the decision not to order. She explained that her husband would have not taken a wine with such a label seriously. Being the caring group we are – we quickly pointed out to the big dummy, that had she ordered the Woot and her husband had dismissed it – she would have won big time!

On a serious note, Scott Harvey has produced another excellent wine (as we Wooters have grown to expect). I am certainly looking forward for my shipment to arrive – then maybe I can go home to my dear wife, who unfortunately didn’t get to be in on the LaBrat experience.

Block 13 Cabernet Sauvignon - 4 Pack; Sake One Sampler of Six with Gift Box; Three Screaming Purple Monkeys; Toothstejnn - 6 pack; Scott Harvey In-ZINerator threesome; Wellington Three-Pack + Mystery; Ty Caton 2005 - Field Blend Three-pack; Ty Caton Three-pack Sampler (1st group); Iron Horse Cabernet Franc - Three-pack; Epiphany Winery Spring Trio; Wellington 2003 Cuveé R Syrah 3-Pack; Pedroncelli Quartet; Helix Three Pack + One; Vino Noceto Quartet

UBlink

quality posts: 19 Private Messages UBlink
coynedj wrote:Anybody want a peanut?

I don't like peanuts.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 204 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

ksims81 wrote:My husband and I are taking our first trip out to Sonoma this weekend to celebrate one whole year of marital bliss. The number of wineries is so overwhelming! Can you recommend some that aren't to be missed? We're staying in Santa Rosa at the Fountaingrove Inn, and we'll have 3 full days and a few hours on Monday.

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 155 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines
Daystar wrote:Missed this, damn.

Scott, any idea if your wines are distributed in NE Ohio? Cleveland - Akron?

Our distributor in NE Ohio is called Superior Beverage Group in Hudson Ohio. The phone number is 234 380-8098. Ask for Dan Kanuk or email him at dkanuk@superiorbeveragegroup.com

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
ScottHarveyWines wrote:When I appleid to be a AFS excahnge student in 1970 in high school, my first choice was Afghanistan and I was accepted. I had read Micthner's book Caravans and thought it romantic. Between the time I was accepted and I was to leave my brother was killed in an auto accident and my parents divorced. AFS then thought I had to much stress and rescinded me being able to go at all. Not being one to give up, I appleid again for AFS the next year and was accepted for a summer excahnge program to Germeny. Athough I was born in Germeny and had conversational knowlegde of German I was a little disappointed. We'll I was was lucky because it changed my life. I was placed in a winemaking area and have been in the business ever sence. I'm still very close to the family and will be visiting them again this November. They, their children and grand children have all been here many time and the younger ones have helped out working in the vineyard and winery. Good thing I did not go to Afghanistan, or I might be sitting in Guntanamo Bay right now.

awesome story. glad you're not in Guantanamo. even gladder your wines exist.

do you know... what biodynamics is?

ScottHarveyWines

LoonBoarder wrote:Scott, is there any chance these will be available through "normal" distribution channels in NH - e.g. the state liquor outlets? As dna pointed out, NH was not on the ship-to list for this offering. I'm interested in trying the wine, though. The alternative would be to visit your winery in person -- which may be in the cards come mid-November. DW and I are planning to visit our daughter in California and hope to make some side trips to wineries while there.

We are not in NH. That is a really tough state. Closest is up state New York. Give me a call when you're in California 707 337-9202. If we're home, we'll just sit under the big oaks and enjoy some wine.

ScottHarveyWines

dnasquesttoblack3000 wrote:so - sometimes when i try a riesling, i note that its sweet, but something on the finish seems to 'clean the sweetness up' out of my mouth. so i dont feel like its coated with sugar at the end. its something i really like in some rieslings. is this 'clean up agent' the acidity? are sweet things a base, and the acidity neutralizing it? so then a high acid wine with a high RS wine can still taste dry after a few seconds?

More or less , you got it. Sugar isn't a base, but it's sweetness counter acts the tartness in the acidity. I usually like to finish a Riesling so that it leaves just enough dryness in the mouth that you are thursty for another sip or taste of food.

ScottHarveyWines

jwhite6114 wrote:Oh, I'm bidding on the girl & the fig Weekend Getaway. I'm not sure what you actually get for this item, but it sure sounds interesting!

I love The Girl and the Fig. It is my fovorite restaurant in Sonoma. Great Rhone stayle wine selection and wonderful cuisine.

Chefclyde

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Chefclyde
ScottHarveyWines wrote:I love The Girl and the Fig. It is my fovorite restaurant in Sonoma. Great Rhone stayle wine selection and wonderful cuisine.

It a great restaurant, i have eaten there several times...

ladyofwine

quality posts: 21 Private Messages ladyofwine
ksims81 wrote:My husband and I are taking our first trip out to Sonoma this weekend to celebrate one whole year of marital bliss. The number of wineries is so overwhelming! Can you recommend some that aren't to be missed? We're staying in Santa Rosa at the Fountaingrove Inn, and we'll have 3 full days and a few hours on Monday.

I'd love for you to come visit my winery. I offered a woot a couple of weeks ago, Laura Zahtila Vineyards. We'll be open all weekend if you want to hop over the hill to Calistoga. 707-942-9251

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney
ladyofwine wrote:I'd love for you to come visit my winery. I offered a woot a couple of weeks ago, Laura Zahtila Vineyards. We'll be open all weekend if you want to hop over the hill to Calistoga. 707-942-9251

Hey Laura,
Just had one of yours a few nights ago and loved it! I gave a bottle to my dad though, either I'm a good kid or stupid... Thank you

On a more InZINerator note, just pulled the bottle out of the cooler after chilling off a bit. Will open shortly and post initial impressions...

Edit: Question, should I decant this baby??? I'm also planning on a small glass through that Vinturi thing.

CT

ScottHarveyWines

bkarney wrote:Hey Laura,
Just had one of yours a few nights ago and loved it! I gave a bottle to my dad though, either I'm a good kid or stupid... Thank you

On a more InZINerator note, just pulled the bottle out of the cooler after chilling off a bit. Will open shortly and post initial impressions...

Edit: Question, should I decant this baby??? I'm also planning on a small glass through that Vinturi thing.

The wine does not need to be decanted. Hope you enjoy it. Thank ful for all the great lab rat reports on the wine.

bkarney

ScottHarveyWines wrote:The wine does not need to be decanted. Hope you enjoy it. Thank ful for all the great lab rat reports on the wine.

I just tasted it, I agree entirely. Just tried a swig through the VInturi - not necessary, at all. I really enjoy it thus far, roommate yet to try but it was opened maybe 10 min ago. I'm getting a lot of sweet fruit initially on the nose. Also something like anise or all spice or licorice (good grammer right). I'm tried comparing it to the all spice in my pantry (as I suspect this is it) but I apparently didn't listen to my chemistry teacher as I got a big whiff of it....too big. I'll be back in a bit with some spicy italian sausage, pasta and some fresh(ly frozen) red sauce

CT

Daystar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Daystar
ScottHarveyWines wrote:Our distributor in NE Ohio is called Superior Beverage Group in Hudson Ohio. The phone number is 234 380-8098. Ask for Dan Kanuk or email him at dkanuk@superiorbeveragegroup.com

Thanks Scott. I actually work in the next city over so thats perfect!

psmurf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages psmurf

A question for the Pros/Experienced here:
Has anyone received their Wellington Select - three pack, or any tracking info other than " Billing Information Received"?
My UPS info has been stuck there for a week now. GA was listed as a ship to state on the main page, but isn't on the blog page?? ... so I'm kinda concerned now.
I'm ready to email service@woot, but thought I'd ask here first... as not to waste Woot's time with a dumb question.

I'm also in for a Scott Harvey InZINerator - Three Pack... looks yummy from the review above. Maybe the shipping info will be better, or maybe this is standard procedure??
~tia~

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
Neil Peart(of Rush)

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
sasnakra wrote:Short LaBrat review of the 2004 InZINerator:
Excellent, fresh zinfandel, smooth, and a great lingering finish. Nine thumbs up (explained below in the longer version).

Following the Wine.Woot.com advice, I have my Wine.Woots delivered to my office. Normally this system works great – however, had I not dared dream of actually being selected as a LaBrat…well consider the following. Some of it’s a blur, but I do remember seeing the FedEx label, opening the box, the interesting graphics on the bottle, and the suddenly formed small crowd outside my office – not unlike sharks sensing blood in the water. After looking into the eyes of this thirsty crowd, I decided my best hope was to stage a rare, impromptu, mid-day Wine.Woot tasting. So I called upon eight of my dear follow office mates to assist (OK, they had heard of the “free” wine and I didn’t have to call very loudly – they just stayed and refused to leave). It’s good to have friends.

Luckily, I carefully paired the 2004 InZinerator with a fine Italian sausage pizza (leftovers that I had happened to bring today for my lunch) – sometimes things just work out all by themselves! Then I opened the bottle to breathe for approximately 45 minutes. I briefly considered decanting into a spare glass coffee carafe (lucky for Woot science that I re-thought before contaminating the wine – who knows where that carafe had been).

Let the tasting begin. In a scientific-like process, not unlike the infamous ‘lost’ Myth Buster episode involving dry ice, grape Kool-Aid, a Chihuahua, and 100-feet of bungee-cord….but lets not get off track….the tasting. We carefully poured, swirled, examined the color, sniffed, and finally tasted (mostly in that order). Within our diverse group – the overall reactions and comments were very positive. The zinfandel had a very good, fresh fruit smell, pleasant and not artificial smelling. The color was slightly lighter than expected and that of many of the recent zins. Taste was smooth, with a lingering finish – again a very pleasant experience. Our sample didn’t have a strong alcoholic taste – very drinkable. Overall, our part-time scientist gave InZINerator a unanimous ‘nine thumbs up’ (soon to be recommended as a national standard for wine tastings). The only remotely negative comment was from one poor individual, who after seeing the label graphics on Monday – made the decision not to order. She explained that her husband would have not taken a wine with such a label seriously. Being the caring group we are – we quickly pointed out to the big dummy, that had she ordered the Woot and her husband had dismissed it – she would have won big time!

On a serious note, Scott Harvey has produced another excellent wine (as we Wooters have grown to expect). I am certainly looking forward for my shipment to arrive – then maybe I can go home to my dear wife, who unfortunately didn’t get to be in on the LaBrat experience.

Great review. Fun to read. Pressure was off on the wine, but your report had to be good. You passed.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

thrawn1020

quality posts: 23 Private Messages thrawn1020
psmurf wrote:A question for the Pros/Experienced here:
Has anyone received their Wellington Select - three pack, or any tracking info other than " Billing Information Received"?
My UPS info has been stuck there for a week now. GA was listed as a ship to state on the main page, but isn't on the blog page?? ... so I'm kinda concerned now.
I'm ready to email service@woot, but thought I'd ask here first... as not to waste Woot's time with a dumb question.

I'm also in for a Scott Harvey InZINerator - Three Pack... looks yummy from the review above. Maybe the shipping info will be better, or maybe this is standard procedure??
~tia~

I received mine yesterday. My UPS tracking says that this package went to Hodgkins, IL where it was added to the system. It is possible that this is a change from prior orders, because the first Wellington offering(with the mystery bottles) went to NY and came back. For the record, I am in central illinois, so I did receive the typical summer shipping "dead" period where UPS has no idea where the wine is. I was pleasantly surprised, as I hadn't expected it for a few days. Those of you on the Eastern Seaboard might have a few more days to wait, or there might be a separate shipment to the east coast.

Not too many to count, but dang. This place has a way of building a cellar for you.

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki

~tia~

I received mine yesterday and I'm in N. Cal. I posted earlier in the week and was worried too since this one seemed to take a while to get out, but it did get here, I wouldn't go bugging service yet.

CT

tkastorff

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tkastorff

~tia~

got mine last week just fine ... depends where you are, what the weather is

So Cal here

w.w bottles| 308 L: Spelletich Lodi Sangiovese

"Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad wine"

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
dnasquesttoblack3000 wrote:i think its a princess bride joke

Yes, it is. As is my response to it. Vizzini (Shawn Wallace) says Inconcievable! and Inigo (Mandy Patinkin) says my response.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

BobboinAVL

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BobboinAVL
Loweeel wrote:I don't eat at vegetarian places. Vegetables aren't food, they're what food eats.

Enough with the killing. We're better than that. At least we should be.

bkarney

bkarney wrote:I just tasted it, I agree entirely. Just tried a swig through the VInturi - not necessary, at all. I really enjoy it thus far, roommate yet to try but it was opened maybe 10 min ago. I'm getting a lot of sweet fruit initially on the nose. Also something like anise or all spice or licorice (good grammer right). I'm tried comparing it to the all spice in my pantry (as I suspect this is it) but I apparently didn't listen to my chemistry teacher as I got a big whiff of it....too big. I'll be back in a bit with some spicy italian sausage, pasta and some fresh(ly frozen) red sauce

To continue on with my LabRat report: First and foremost, I really enjoy this wine! As I said earlier there is a lot of sweet fruit in the nose, and the same spice as before. I'm not nearly the expert that many of you all are but I'll do what I can in describing what I got out of this wine.

I guess the first thing you need to know is that I love spicy food. With that in mind, I have a lot of trouble finding a wine that doesn't taste like water next to some of my creations -- enter the Zin. This particular one has my butcher's spicy Italian sausage along with my homemade SPICY sauce (that I freeze when the maters aren't in the garden). As I happily expected this stuff held it's own, yet made them both better! I'm really enjoying this wine. Roommate report: "Delicious."

While I would say the InZINerator would be fruit-forward it was by no means overwhelming. The spicy notes, showing themselves towards the end of the finish, nicely balance the fruit. I'm also getting some cherry on the finish with a little bit of heat - that is quite enjoyable. There are tannins, but they are barely noticeable. It is a big wine, but very balanced. From the minute it was corked to the time that I finished a cigar with it, it was delicious! Glad that I got my order in prior to the sell-out, only regret is that I didn’t order more. Thank You WD and Scott for this awesome opportunity. Despite WD's hint that tomorrow's offering isn't wine, I really hope it is...

CT

bahwm

quality posts: 30 Private Messages bahwm

~tia~

My Wellington Select - 3 pack arrived today in Buffalo, NY.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

FYI, anyone on the way to LB to meet w/ TMR, Shoreline Drive is closed at the 710 due to filming.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MaxAlex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MaxAlex
ScottHarveyWines wrote:Our distributor in NE Ohio is called Superior Beverage Group in Hudson Ohio. The phone number is 234 380-8098. Ask for Dan Kanuk or email him at dkanuk@superiorbeveragegroup.com

Thanks Scott. I will contact them. Just the repsonses and your activity in all of these conversations push me to try your wines. Wine is about the poeple as much as it is about the juice. I feel like an outsider to WW, but in time I knlw I will get to know the others. I didn't get in on this offer, but I will look for your wines.

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
tomatillo wrote:My wellington times 2 arrived 10 minutes ago in soggy Minnesota.
2 cheerful mystery dots included, red and green.
Can Christmas be coming so soon?

While we've had amazing October blizzards in the Twin Cities in years past, it would be interesting to see the reactions of the big convention, next week, to a couple feet of snow. But, we could just as well have 100 degrees and 99.9% humidity. Perverse climate. At least we don't have the air pollution my relatives in Denver breathe. Just humongous mosquitos.

Well, if you need any help in the sampling, I'd be willing to help you in the sacrifice.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

MaxAlex

tkastorff wrote:got mine last week just fine ... depends where you are, what the weather is

So Cal here

Just got mine in Ohio today. Our temps have been in excess of 75 degress for an extended time which typically slow down the deliveries. I have three cases for various sources in Cal that are still in limbo because of this.

MaxAlex

thrawn1020 wrote:I received mine yesterday. My UPS tracking says that this package went to Hodgkins, IL where it was added to the system. It is possible that this is a change from prior orders, because the first Wellington offering(with the mystery bottles) went to NY and came back. For the record, I am in central illinois, so I did receive the typical summer shipping "dead" period where UPS has no idea where the wine is. I was pleasantly surprised, as I hadn't expected it for a few days. Those of you on the Eastern Seaboard might have a few more days to wait, or there might be a separate shipment to the east coast.

Hodgkins seems to be a central point now. My last six orders went through there.

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
BobboinAVL wrote:Enough with the killing. We're better than that. At least we should be.

Killing animals is bad, but killing plants is ok? SPECIESIST!!!

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

rats, you've been packed.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

the Wellington 3 pack arrived in Buffalo today. Not an unusual wait, actually shorter than some. In fact the Zahtila Cab, from more than a week earlier, also arrived today.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg

Winedavid39 wrote:

WD, please check your PMs.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

marekny7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marekny7
thrawn1020 wrote:I received mine yesterday. My UPS tracking says that this package went to Hodgkins, IL where it was added to the system. It is possible that this is a change from prior orders, because the first Wellington offering(with the mystery bottles) went to NY and came back. For the record, I am in central illinois, so I did receive the typical summer shipping "dead" period where UPS has no idea where the wine is. I was pleasantly surprised, as I hadn't expected it for a few days. Those of you on the Eastern Seaboard might have a few more days to wait, or there might be a separate shipment to the east coast.

Just got mine today in NY.

CT

Winedavid39

quality posts: 204 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

Chefclyde wrote:It a great restaurant, i have eaten there several times...

Who are you ?

paryb

quality posts: 17 Private Messages paryb
Winedavid39 wrote:Who are you ?

hahahaha! I was so going to say that earlier!

189 Bottles of wine from Woot so far!
$3319.36or a mere $17.56 per bottle.

wine.woot Keeping Paryb in the red(and sometimes white) since 5/9/2007

hld1970

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hld1970
MarkDaSpark wrote:Yes, it is. As is my response to it. Vizzini (Shawn Wallace) says Inconcievable! and Inigo (Mandy Patinkin) says my response.

His name is actually Wallace Shawn and I met him many years ago in Balducci's in NYC.

hld1970

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hld1970
ddeuddeg wrote:WD, please check your PMs.

WD- I sent you an email about my Zahtila order (it was sent back to the shipper).

ddeuddeg

Loweeel wrote:First time I ever even liked eggplant, let alone asked for seconds.

Come to Buffalo, and have my eggplant Parm. We have PS. They are very good together.

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

jwhite6114 wrote:Clues?

Did we ever get anything? Shocked that it's 20 minutes to launch & no one is clamoring for hints. It *is* tonight, right?

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

Princessjolie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Princessjolie

~tia~

My shipment spent about 4 days in the "Billing Information Received" mode. I got mine this morning (Seattle Area) but I had to change the shipping address so that may have made it lag for a day. It usually takes a bit longer to get to the East Coast.