conroo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages conroo
bwiss wrote:Hello everyone...BW here.
Thanks for all your comments regarding the WWC. Being a wine geek for most of my life and helping people pass wine certification programs, I wanted to create something fun and challenging. Do not bother buying the first version; the 2007 version is much better. Thanks to everyone who bought one! If you want a little taste of the WWC, you can play an on-line version of the "Masters Level" at worldwinechallenge.com. You can post your score....we have Somms all over the world playing it. Keep in mind, each level and all questions are randomized from a larger bank of questions, so each time you play you will get different and new questions. I hope you have fun with it.
Cheers,
Barry Wiss

Barry, I tried the sample game at the master's level and got only one right! I never did do well with multiple choice questions!
Need some knowledge.

In for one.

W:too many to count
WW:too many to count
SW:too many to count
SOW:too many to count

bwiss

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bwiss
conroo wrote:Barry, I tried the sample game at the master's level and got only one right! I never did do well with multiple choice questions!
Need some knowledge.

In for one.

Conroo,

thanks!....enjoy the WWC and a great glass of wine. I always liked the saying: "if you are not growing, you are dying"...so learn something new everyday. When it comes to wine, you always learn something new.

Have a great weekend,
BW

bwiss

esperanto wrote:Technical question: Will this run on Intel Macs?
The system requirements say PowerPC, but some applications will work for both and some only on PowerPC....

esperanto,

I just talked to the programmer to make sure, and he said yes to the IntelMac. It was actually developed on the IntelMac.

Thanks,
BW

scoville

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scoville

My wife and I used to go the the Hermann Wine Trail every year in Missouri. There are some great wines made in that state. Although every winery we would visit indeed called it Norton, I'm more interested in how the Traminette grapes are this year.

hatatatah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hatatatah
goldnndrkness wrote:First sucker: goldnndrkness

yay! im going through Sommelier Certification, so im up for this little challenge ;) sounds fun! i like trivia

*edit* why doesnt it say im the first sucker anymore? aww

crowjane

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crowjane

how long does a product stay on wine.woot?

yumitori

quality posts: 22 Private Messages yumitori
crowjane wrote:how long does a product stay on wine.woot?

This item will be available until midnight Sunday, Central Time, unless it sells out earlier. The next one will be available until Wednesday at midnight, and so forth.

buckysf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages buckysf

From Charlie Bucky-et:
I received a golden ticket on this item. I played with it this evening. My thoughts are as follows:
1. Very simple "multiple-choice" type game.
2. Only allows 1 or 2 players. However, if you had a party a leader would read the questions and use 1 player mode and let everyone scream out the answers at the same time... after a few glasses of wine no one will care who wins, it will just be fun spilling wine on the carpet as you scream out the wrong answer.
3. The questions are good. Some very simple, some more difficult, some obscure.
4. The whole game seems pretty much like an advertisement for Trinchero wines as their logo appears on the screen at all times and the "help" option takes you to a website owned by them. This doesn't affect the game play.

Summary: Could be fun in a group environment. Will be a good host gift for a wine party or casual wine tasting group. Will likely improve some people's general (and obscure) knowledge of wine. Probably should really be a marketing "giveaway" rather than a retail game.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
buckysf wrote:From Charlie Bucky-et:

Thanks!! You and INTLGerard have been packed

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

hk94

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hk94

So what does a LabRat get for this game? Do you really need a second copy of the game?

skizzy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages skizzy

Quick question..
I'm serving plum glazed grilled pork ribs..
Whats the best wine?

I'll be back in a few..

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm
skizzy wrote:Quick question..
I'm serving plum glazed grilled pork ribs..
Whats the best wine?

I'll be back in a few..

Zin? Pinot?

duck833

quality posts: 0 Private Messages duck833
winefarm wrote:Zin? Pinot?

As much as I love Pinot, I would go with the Zin.

good food, good wine, bad girl = great evening

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 35 Private Messages ddeuddeg
duck833 wrote:As much as I love Pinot, I would go with the Zin.

I second that.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 35 Private Messages ddeuddeg
bwiss wrote:esperanto,

I just talked to the programmer to make sure, and he said yes to the IntelMac. It was actually developed on the IntelMac.

Thanks,
BW

Fine! I was trying to resist, but you had to mention it was developed on a Mac. As dedicated Mac users, we try to encourage that whenever possible. Besides, we both have a lot to learn, and this looks like a fun way to do it.
I do have to add my voice to the question about what the labrat gets out of this, since another disc doesn't seem to make sense.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

conroo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages conroo
ddeuddeg wrote:I second that.

Had Zin with my bbq ribs tonight. A perfect match!

W:too many to count
WW:too many to count
SW:too many to count
SOW:too many to count

berrda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages berrda

I'd like to take advantage of the slow forum this weekend and ask for some help. My wife, Angie, and I are planning to celebrate our thirtieth wedding anniversary in California wine country at the end of next month. I am appealing to my fellow wine wooters for some logistical suggestions. We have a full week, currently unplanned. We want to spend time in Sonoma, Napa and the coastal area, visiting some of the MMT wineries, others of WW that we have enjoyed and (don't take offense, WD), some wineries we've found on our own. We have very limited experience with this, up in Traverse Bay area a few years ago and Herman, MO two summers ago. So my questions, in no particular order:

Are we going to find six days of wine tasting too much?

What's a reasonable number of wineries to expect to see in a day? I've seen ranges of 3 (via a booked tour) to 5 or 6.

We are unlikley to buy a full case from many wineries. Are we better off shipping via the winery or consolidating and taking to a UPS-like store? Or are there other options?

Should we book accommodations in multiple locations or is it reasonable to reach all points from one spot? If so, where?

Is there a 'bible' for tourists (e.g., we always buy the Rick Steve's when heading to Europe, Underground Guide for Hawaiian islands, etc.)?

What about those booked tours? I was DD in the past, before I decided I could drink wine instead of my favorite beverage - beer.

And perhaps a more dangerous question, suggestions for restaurants?

Thanks in advance for any advice. And I'm sure I should thank Cheron now for moving me to the community forum. ;-)

Dave

cathyk39

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cathyk39
eric9tx wrote:x-post from first half of the week:

If you happen to be reading this thread... isn't Jeffersonville right across the river? I'd find a "friend" there, or just get a box at a UPS store in IN.

Unfortunately, Indiana has been off the list for freakin' EVER. I live in Indiana and WineWoot used to be one of my main sources of new wines, but we haven't been able to play in a long, long time. Otherwise, I'd be willing to "friend" anyone in Louisville (where I work) because their liquor laws are even more draconion than Indiana's!

WD, show some love to your "incredibly long wait" customers. . .

"A meal without wine is like a day without sunshine, except that on a day without sunshine you can still get drunk."
~~ Lee Entrekin

cathyk39

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cathyk39
berrda wrote:

What's a reasonable number of wineries to expect to see in a day? I've seen ranges of 3 (via a booked tour) to 5 or 6.

We are unlikley to buy a full case from many wineries. Are we better off shipping via the winery or consolidating and taking to a UPS-like store? Or are there other options?

Should we book accommodations in multiple locations or is it reasonable to reach all points from one spot? If so, where?

What about those booked tours? I was DD in the past, before I decided I could drink wine instead of my favorite beverage - beer.

Dave

Six days to cover all those regions probably just about right.

I would figure on visiting no more than 5 to 6 wineries per day, and remember to stop for a nice lunch half-way through.

Shipping: The first rule is to find out what Cali's shipping laws are. I think they are fairly liberal, but my friends and I ran into trouble on this issue when we visited the FingerLakes region and tried to consolidate shipments--we found out due to shipping laws that no UPS store would touch our wine. We finally found a friendly winery that agreed to ship purchases from other wineries along with purchases we had made from them. If you CAN consolidate and ship via UPS that would be the most convienent and least expensive.

You will probably want to find accomodations in each region. The less driving you have to do the more time you have for wine tasting.

Booked tours can be fine, but try not to end up on a bus with 50 other wine tourists. Better to hire a limo (which can be done for a reasonable price most places), book with a smaller "van" tour, or trade off being DD.

Most important "rules": Talk to the wine maker whenever you get the opportunity, try wines you don't normally drink and HAVE FUN!!!

"A meal without wine is like a day without sunshine, except that on a day without sunshine you can still get drunk."
~~ Lee Entrekin

bwiss

buckysf wrote:From Charlie Bucky-et:
I received a golden ticket on this item. I played with it this evening. My thoughts are as follows:
1. Very simple "multiple-choice" type game.
2. Only allows 1 or 2 players. However, if you had a party a leader would read the questions and use 1 player mode and let everyone scream out the answers at the same time... after a few glasses of wine no one will care who wins, it will just be fun spilling wine on the carpet as you scream out the wrong answer.
3. The questions are good. Some very simple, some more difficult, some obscure.
4. The whole game seems pretty much like an advertisement for Trinchero wines as their logo appears on the screen at all times and the "help" option takes you to a website owned by them. This doesn't affect the game play.

Summary: Could be fun in a group environment. Will be a good host gift for a wine party or casual wine tasting group. Will likely improve some people's general (and obscure) knowledge of wine. Probably should really be a marketing "giveaway" rather than a retail game.

Charlie,

Thank you very much for comments regarding the WWC. I hope you enjoy playing it, and I hope you are finding it instrumental in learning more about wine.

Yes, I do work for Trinchero in Napa Valley...been there for about 14 years now. Before that, I worked for Schramsberg and before that in the restaurant business in New Orleans (hometown). In my own pursuit of wine credentials, I realized there was nothing out there that combined an element of fun while really challenging wine professionals, i.e. Sommeliers and people who are just passionate about wine. I developed the WWC, but of course Trinchero paid for the production, hence their name on it.

Thanks again, and alll the best,
BW

bwiss

berrda wrote:I'd like to take advantage of the slow forum this weekend and ask for some help. My wife, Angie, and I are planning to celebrate our thirtieth wedding anniversary in California wine country at the end of next month. I am appealing to my fellow wine wooters for some logistical suggestions. We have a full week, currently unplanned. We want to spend time in Sonoma, Napa and the coastal area, visiting some of the MMT wineries, others of WW that we have enjoyed and (don't take offense, WD), some wineries we've found on our own. We have very limited experience with this, up in Traverse Bay area a few years ago and Herman, MO two summers ago. So my questions, in no particular order:

Is there a 'bible' for tourists (e.g., we always buy the Rick Steve's when heading to Europe, Underground Guide for Hawaiian islands, etc.)?

And perhaps a more dangerous question, suggestions for restaurants?

Thanks in advance for any advice. And I'm sure I should thank Cheron now for moving me to the community forum. ;-)

Dave

Dave,

I live in Napa. I know ya'll will have a great time. Six days is a lot of time to devote to wine tasting in one area, so I would stay in a central location such as the town of Napa and visit multiple places (Sonoma, SF, Muir Woods and the coast). The town of Napa has come a long way in a short time; there are some great places to stay which are much more affordable than upvalley.

The River Terrace Inn on the Napa River is walking distance to old town Napa and the new Oxbow Market area. You can walk to Taylors Refresher and have an incredible cheeseburger with a bottle of Schafer Hillside Select

One of our favorite things is going to Bouchon in Yountville around 3pm, sitting at the bar drink martinis (or negronis) with oysters on the halfshell and pomme frittes. Other great restaurants include: Bistro Jeanty, Angele, Tra Vigne, Mustards, Hurleys and Cindy's Backstreet. The Girl and the Fig in Sonoma is also a great place.

Anymore than 3 wineries a day is too much, especially if you are doing tours. If you stay in Napa, you can easily get over to Sonoma wine country. Most of the great wineries require reservations. I highly recommend Schramsberg, Duckhorn and Phelps. We do not offer tours to the general public, but given the time of your visit and if I am in town, I could conduct a private tour/tasing at Trinchero for you.

Napavalley.com is a good resource for tourist info.

Have a great anniversary in the Wine Country,
BW

smartheart

quality posts: 94 Private Messages smartheart

Wine David, a clue would be welcome !

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
smartheart wrote:Wine David, a clue would be welcome !

I'm working. I'm bored. I need a clue!

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

Winedavid39

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

Check out Bwiss chiming in on a Sunday! Nice work BW, especially with the short notice and all.

Clue for next week?

CUTS

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
Winedavid39 wrote:Check out Bwiss chiming in on a Sunday! Nice work BW, especially with the short notice and all.

Clue for next week?

CUTS

See You Tomorrow Suckers?

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

bahwm

quality posts: 34 Private Messages bahwm
Winedavid39 wrote:Check out Bwiss chiming in on a Sunday! Nice work BW, especially with the short notice and all.

Clue for next week?

CUTS

Are we doing wine.meat.woot?

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm

quality posts: 34 Private Messages bahwm

Not sure where you are coming from. But if you are flying and are able to take a second bag for free, you might want to label and take two of your woot wine boxes with all of their guts (minus the wine, of course) as your second suitcase. Then, you would be able to take home two boxes of wine. The woot packaging is awesome! We did that after the rpm tour and it worked fine. A case of wine weighs about
36 pounds.

We found the Best Western in Santa Rosa to be fairly centrally located, nothing special like what one might want for a 30th anniversary. If you have an Entertainment Book and book online through their website, the entertainment people are offfering additional discounts off of multiple night stays. However, The Haydon Street Inn is a beautiful B&B in Healdsburg and is quite special and a lot more pricey. The breakfast is prepared by a gourmet chef.

Happy Anniversary!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

BobboinAVL

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BobboinAVL

Clue for next week?

CUTS

Check Under The Stairs...

bwiss

Clue for next week?

CUTS

My pleasure David....Thanks for the intro to wine woot world. Its been fun

BW

duck833

quality posts: 0 Private Messages duck833

Spent part of the day oganizing the cellar, boxed up a case of stuff I want to get rid of, took it over to the local Republican office for a party on Sept 4th, will go for a good cause.

Now I have room for more wine and I am thirsty!!! Enough software, enough white wine, lets see some great deals on some killer reds!!!

good food, good wine, bad girl = great evening

bwiss

duck833 wrote:Spent part of the day oganizing the cellar, boxed up a case of stuff I want to get rid of, took it over to the local Republican office for a party on Sept 4th, will go for a good cause.

Now I have room for more wine and I am thirsty!!! Enough software, enough white wine, lets see some great deals on some killer reds!!!

I'll second that!!...getting thirsty myself. Getting ready to throw a steak on the grill....

I hope everyone enjoys the WWC....thanks! now have a great glass of wine. Cheers,
BW

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
Winedavid39 wrote:Clue for next week?

CUTS

Ya got me stumped. Not that that's difficult, mind you.

All I could find: the TV show "Cuts" had one Edward "Grapevine" Fordham in the cast, but I couldn't make any connections. Maybe someone else can.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

kylemittskus

quality posts: 234 Private Messages kylemittskus
duck833 wrote:Spent part of the day oganizing the cellar, boxed up a case of stuff I want to get rid of, took it over to the local Republican office for a party on Sept 4th, will go for a good cause.

That's a good cause?!?!

I am with you on the amazing reds except, I shouldn't even be here because I have NO money. NONE!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

What a contrast from the beginning of the week to the end. And such participation for a non-wine offer? Impressive.

Thanks Bwiss!

CT | | | | | |

bwiss

jwhite6114 wrote:What a contrast from the beginning of the week to the end. And such participation for a non-wine offer? Impressive.

Thanks Bwiss!

My pleasure jwhite6114,

Great wine, Great food and great friends....the finest things in life.

All the best,
BW

subwoot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages subwoot

Perhaps a Barber..a?

EDIT: or 4

kylemittskus

quality posts: 234 Private Messages kylemittskus

No one guessing based on the clue. No one talking at all really. Is the world ok? Still orbiting? Gravity is still acting?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

hld1970

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hld1970
kylemittskus wrote:No one guessing based on the clue. No one talking at all really. Is the world ok? Still orbiting? Gravity is still acting?

CUTS? That could be anything. Why is it in all caps? Who knows? I think we need another nudge....

subwoot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages subwoot

Clue for next week?

CUTS

How 'bout a Coppola Zin or Pinot - Director's Cut?

Alaska1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Alaska1

Wow lost on this one.

Little Vineyards Sonoma Valley Trio, Chateau Souverain Zinfandel Single-Vineyard Sampler Trio,Armida Winery Poizin Trio,Chase Family,Pack Cellars - Two Pack, Wellington Zinfandel Vertical Four Pack, InZinarator 4 pack, Peter Wellington 2006 Victory Reserve - 2 Pack, Saxon Brown 2008 Sonoma Valley Zinfandel - 3 Pack, Woodenhead Vintners 2006 Martinelli Road Old Vine RRV Zinfandel - 2 Pack