tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
Imagine4vr wrote:I'd for sure be interested! And if you needed a place to crash, you're more than welcome. I have $2.50 off coupons.

I haven't been to the ren faire in a few years. This weekend is definitely out for me though.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
jkwest wrote:trust me...all I need is a doctor and a tablet...then I'm certifiable...

We all are, here at Wine.Woot ..... it's a requirement!

There's me ....

Jwhite ....

Cheron ...

TMR (aka V^2) ...

bowtie ....

and all the rest ....

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

oppsie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages oppsie

just dropping in to say that the sheets at the Courtyard Marriott suck. I am officially a sheet snob (possibly one of the only areas in which I was not already officially a snob). Ugh.

Commence ambien consumption...3...2...1...DRUGS.

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

All right you Chicago folks. I'm coming down at the end of September. Once I figure out some of the meeting plans, let's figure out a time to get together!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
aces219 wrote:We bought more than 3 cases in Yakima Valley this weekend. Oh noes! DH is definitely getting tired of me buying so much wine (and lately I seem to be much more into buying and collecting it than drinking it). We now have 178 bottles and 12 pending....SIWBM, fur realz.

i feel like a proud papa!

do you know... what biodynamics is?

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
winefarm wrote:Hi,

I thought of the RPM tourists today (and Bowtie) because my tomatoes are FINALLY ripening. I made the caprese salad with the Nebraska Wedding variety and some lemon cucumbers, basil and red onions that WE grew.

It was almost as good as the salad at Tra Vigne, but I'm going to try some better cheese next time. I just used the marinated mozzarella orbs from the supermarket.

Miss you all!
Winefarm

Whats a lemon cucumber? this sounds awesome. I've got tomatoes coming in so fast I can't even keep up. Yet I've not given any away. Same with Zucchini

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

oppsie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages oppsie
cheron98 wrote:Hey, we gotta look out for each other, right? And I don't think this was an overreaction at all, so don't you go apologizing!

I'm stalking all of you. All the time. Right now.

Ooh, shiny! Gotta go!

themostrighteous

bhodilee wrote:Did I mention he only makes 50 cases?

so what you are saying is that we will be sipping 1/600th of Peter's total production this Friday evening? it's only right that you should be there to pop this one open. we'll observe a moment of silence in your honor before sipping away.

bhodilee

marekny7 wrote:Lets pool some $ and buy some vines of our own somewhere

adopt a vine program I absolutely want to do this. I have some of their Violation PS that I'm too scared to open.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD
MarkDaSpark wrote:We all are, here at Wine.Woot ..... it's a requirement!

There's me ....

Jwhite ....

Cheron ...

TMR (aka V^2) ...

bowtie ....

and all the rest ....

http://www.dcf.state.fl.us/mentalhealth/laws/3052b.pdf
Next

bhodilee

themostrighteous wrote:so what you are saying is that we will be sipping 1/600th of Peter's total production this Friday evening? it's only right that you should be there to pop this one open. we'll observe a moment of silence in your honor before sipping away.

Basically yeah, I'm loathe to open one since I only got two. I emailed him today to ask how it's coming and when I can get some 06. Haven't heard back yet.

and instead of a moment of silence I'd much rather everybody mumble motherfrakker before they drink

themostrighteous

JOATMON wrote:

so, mr. JOAT & MON, i saw a show the other day about how Madeira is made. i immediately thought to myself (i) sounds like AMAZING JUICE and (ii) JOATMON would've enjoyed this. which of course leads me to ask you whether (iii) there are any entry-level Madeiras that your expert / experienced palate would recommend (iv) the cost of which will not require my children to forgo a college education. (though, come to think of it, the latter is highly overrated...) pray do shower your pearls of wisdom upon me if you will!!!

themostrighteous

bhodilee wrote:adopt a vine program I absolutely want to do this. I have some of their Violation PS that I'm too scared to open.

i signed up to do this after i bought the Violation.

other people wanna be like Mike (Phelps these days). you wanna be like me. you might as well admit it.

themostrighteous

bhodilee wrote:Basically yeah, I'm loathe to open one since I only got two. I emailed him today to ask how it's coming and when I can get some 06. Haven't heard back yet.

and instead of a moment of silence I'd much rather everybody mumble motherfrakker before they drink

let me know what he says.

as for the motherfrakker, you have that all backwards: that's what we'll hopefully say right AFTER we taste it.

Cesare

quality posts: 1595 Private Messages Cesare
themostrighteous wrote:i feel like a proud papa!

but I thought you were my proud papa

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

themostrighteous

Cesare wrote:but I thought you were my proud papa

i was raised Catholic. i have a quadzillion cousins. it is only right that i father a similar number of (cyber) offspring.

EDIT: but, then again, you should know 'xactly whatimtalkingabout.

themostrighteous

otolith wrote:All right you Chicago folks. I'm coming down at the end of September. Once I figure out some of the meeting plans, let's figure out a time to get together!

you are so ON, brother! just say when.

Cesare

themostrighteous wrote:i was raised Catholic. i have a quadzillion cousins. it is only right that i father a similar number of (cyber) offspring.

EDIT: but, then again, you should know 'xactly whatimtalkingabout.

Si. just that il Cesare doesn't like to share. (can you tell I'm an only child?)

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

themostrighteous

Cesare wrote:Si. just that il Cesare doesn't like to share. (can you tell I'm an only child?)

you'll get over it.

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
themostrighteous wrote:so, mr. JOAT & MON, i saw a show the other day about how Madeira is made. i immediately thought to myself (i) sounds like AMAZING JUICE and (ii) JOATMON would've enjoyed this. which of course leads me to ask you whether (iii) there are any entry-level Madeiras that your expert / experienced palate would recommend (iv) the cost of which will not require my children to forgo a college education. (though, come to think of it, the latter is highly overrated...) pray do shower your pearls of wisdom upon me if you will!!!

I always thought Sherry was for old ladies. Then I learned about the Solera system. Now I want to go on a Hemingway-type vacation in Andalusia and drink Manzanilla and Fino while eating seafood until I burst and then have PX and Amontillado and Oloroso with some cigars.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

nallie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages nallie
oppsie wrote:I'm stalking all of you. All the time. Right now.

I'm not too worried. The ambien will kick in before you get anywhere near most of us...

Sweet dreams, sorry about the sheets. Maybe in the future you could go all Felix Unger and start traveling with your own bed linens. In my world, though, that's why there is wine.

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." - h.keller
"If you can do something about it, there is no need to worry. If you cannot do anything about it, there is no use in worrying." - j.white (and also Shantideva)

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm
jwhite6114 wrote:I think you must have arrived at Seghesio after we had the tomato/mozz salad, there. Tra Vinge was good, but Seghesio was incrdible. The cheese at Seghesio used a much softer cheese -- almost like a paste; and tomatoes were quite delicious.

So, are you gonna yours as a side deal?

You're right about Seghesio. But my salad did not compare to theirs at all. Does anyone remember the cheese? I should have saved the menu.

Woot filter changes b a l l s to orbs...tee hee...

Hey, if my tomatoes come in the way I hope they will, I may offer a side deal.

nallie

ERMD wrote:http://www.dcf.state.fl.us/mentalhealth/laws/3052b.pdf
Next

lol!

"If you can do something about it, there is no need to worry. If you cannot do anything about it, there is no use in worrying." - j.white (and also Shantideva)

Loweeel

bhodilee wrote:Basically yeah, I'm loathe to open one since I only got two. I emailed him today to ask how it's coming and when I can get some 06. Haven't heard back yet.

That reminds me, I need to email Ze'ev at some point. I'll see if we can get it shipped by the Israeliwinedirect guy -- it might be cheaper.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

nallie

winefarm wrote:You're right about Seghesio. But my salad did not compare to theirs at all. Does anyone remember the cheese? I should have saved the menu.

Woot filter changes b a l l s to orbs...tee hee...

Hey, if my tomatoes come in the way I hope they will, I may offer a side deal.

Hi, WineFarm! No pressure but it occurs to me that I drove to Napa for a dinner one evening and yet you haven't ever driven down for a SoCal tasting. Any way you could swing by Vegas in October or November for the SoCal annex party? Please consider it!

Loweeel

nallie wrote:Hi, WineFarm! No pressure but it occurs to me that I drove to Napa for a dinner one evening and yet you haven't ever driven down for a SoCal tasting. Any way you could swing by Vegas in October or November for the SoCal annex party? Please consider it!

They're going to be in DC around them. I will treat them to lambsteaks; WD can bring the PS ;)

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

nallie

Loweeel wrote:They're going to be in DC around them. I will treat them to lambsteaks; WD can bring the PS ;)

Oh, dang. Trumped by the master of all things ps and lamb related. Perhaps another time.

BTW, I sure enjoyed getting to know you better, L. You are a great guy! Thanks for making the tasting extra special.

Loweeel

nallie wrote:Oh, dang. Trumped by the master of all things ps and lamb related. Perhaps another time.

BTW, I sure enjoyed getting to know you better, L. You are a great guy! Thanks for making the tasting extra special.

*blushing* thank you. You hide your steely assassin's mettle very well. I only saw the glint of Damascus Steel on one or two occassions.

btw, just because they'll be in the area during that period doesn't mean that they can't also make it to vegas..

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

nallie

Loweeel wrote:*blushing* thank you. You hide your steely assassin's mettle very well. I only saw the glint of Damascus Steel on one or two occassions.

I did notice the way you all moved back a step or two when I removed my stilettos (curses on MadWine's stone flooring; I can usually wear stilettos all night). I assume in your case that was from fear and trepidation, not to get any sort of better view, correct?

Seriously, L, I do recall your first appearance on this site, and I love seeing how much you have accomplished professionally and wine-ally since that day. So glad you are part of this community!

nallie

themostrighteous wrote:i feel like a proud papa!

Hey, I stole fur realz from you ages ago and I never got the proud papa comment. That's just hurtful.

Cesare

winefarm wrote:You're right about Seghesio. But my salad did not compare to theirs at all. Does anyone remember the cheese? I should have saved the menu.

I guess you didn't see my post
I saved the menu, it was Buffalo Mozzarella.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple

nallie

Cesare wrote:I guess you didn't see my post

Poor Cesare is having the night of a thousand rejections. First he loses his only child status and now this! Hang in there, C. We're here for you, man.

<I realize we maybe don't know each other well enough for me to be teasing you this way, but I'm hoping you and your lovely wife are both ok with it. If not, just tell me to step off and I won't be offended. Thank you in advance.>

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm
Cesare wrote:I guess you didn't see my post

No, I did see the post, but I was wondering where they got the Buffalo Mozzarella..there are lots of local cheese places, so I'm assuming it was from someone local. Will have to research...

Cesare

nallie wrote:Poor Cesare is having the night of a thousand rejections. First he loses his only child status and now this! Hang in there, C. We're here for you, man.

Thanks for the support! Hey we're all friends here, no worries. That other part of your post isn't necessary.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple

Cesare

winefarm wrote:No, I did see the post, but I was wondering where they got the Buffalo Mozzarella..there are lots of local cheese places, so I'm assuming it was from someone local. Will have to research...

Ah. The menu doesn't give specifics, just "Buffalo Mozzarella". Maybe it's from Italy.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple

nallie

Cesare wrote:Thanks for the support! Hey we're all friends here, no worries. That other part of your post isn't necessary.

Thanks for taking it in the spirit it was intended. I guess seeing how easily I misconstrued [dear] Mr. White's intentions early today (although in all fairness I didn't know it was [dear] Mr. White), has me tip toeing extra carefully myself. Glad my comment didn't come across badly.

Have a great rest of the night, all. I'm pouring a second glass of the Zahtila chard and that means I'm all done posting. Peace out.

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
themostrighteous wrote:so, mr. JOAT & MON, i saw a show the other day about how Madeira is made. i immediately thought to myself (i) sounds like AMAZING JUICE and (ii) JOATMON would've enjoyed this. which of course leads me to ask you whether (iii) there are any entry-level Madeiras that your expert / experienced palate would recommend (iv) the cost of which will not require my children to forgo a college education. (though, come to think of it, the latter is highly overrated...) pray do shower your pearls of wisdom upon me if you will!!!

My one real regret on the RPM tour is that I chickened out and didn't bring a Madeira to share. It would have been perfect to end the dinner the last night.

In all things Madeira, Manny Berk of Rare Wine Company is the guy. He has been pushing all things Madeira for decades; he makes yearly buying trips to Madeira, and he tends to find stuff that everybody thought no longer existed.

Story of Madeira

What with the dollar in the dumpster, prices have only gone up. Vintage Madeiras are not cheap, however Rare Wine Company have created the Historic Series: three non-vintage Madeiras in the styles of the vintage ones. The three are: New York Malmsey, Boston Bual, and Charleston Sercial. Each are $45, and you can get a three-pack sampler for $125. (It turns out there is a fourth in the Historical Series: New Orleans Special Reserve, which was released to help raise funds for post-Katrina New Orleans; if you beg, they may have one or two left).

Start with those. If you want to get only one, I'd recommend the Malmsey; it's traditionally the richest style of Madeira. But your tastes may be different from mine; the descriptions on the page may steer you into something you would like.

If you like those, then the next step up are three vintage Madeiras from Barbeito that come in 500ml bottles for $35-$40 each; again, Rare Wine Company carries them.

If indeed you like those, then heaven help you. My introduction was with a cheap non-vintage Malmsey that couldn't have been older than three years that someone bought on Holiday in Madeira and brought back. I was hooked. It's been downhill and expensive ever since.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

themostrighteous

JOATMON wrote:My one real regret on the RPM tour is that I chickened out and didn't bring a Madeira to share. It would have been perfect to end the dinner the last night.

In all things Madeira, Manny Berk of Rare Wine Company is the guy. He has been pushing all things Madeira for decades; he makes yearly buying trips to Madeira, and he tends to find stuff that everybody thought no longer existed.

Story of Madeira

What with the dollar in the dumpster, prices have only gone up. Vintage Madeiras are not cheap, however Rare Wine Company have created the Historic Series: three non-vintage Madeiras in the styles of the vintage ones. The three are: New York Malmsey, Boston Bual, and Charleston Sercial. Each are $45, and you can get a three-pack sampler for $125. (It turns out there is a fourth in the Historical Series: New Orleans Special Reserve, which was released to help raise funds for post-Katrina New Orleans; if you beg, they may have one or two left).

Start with those. If you want to get only one, I'd recommend the Malmsey; it's traditionally the richest style of Madeira. But your tastes may be different from mine; the descriptions on the page may steer you into something you would like.

If you like those, then the next step up are three vintage Madeiras from Barbeito that come in 500ml bottles for $35-$40 each; again, Rare Wine Company carries them.

If indeed you like those, then heaven help you. My introduction was with a cheap non-vintage Malmsey that couldn't have been older than three years that someone bought on Holiday in Madeira and brought back. I was hooked. It's been downhill and expensive ever since.

YOU. ARE. THE. MAN!!!

(and i'm afraid that, knowing what i know about my tastes, that i'll need that heavenly help.)

themostrighteous

nallie wrote:Thanks for taking it in the spirit it was intended. I guess seeing how easily I misconstrued [dear] Mr. White's intentions early today (although in all fairness I didn't know it was [dear] Mr. White), has me tip toeing extra carefully myself. Glad my comment didn't come across badly.

it's all good here in the Pub. the real cat fights take place in the semiweekly offering threads. sometimes it's like juvie.woot there!!!

Cesare

themostrighteous wrote:YOU. ARE. THE. MAN!!!

(and i'm afraid that, knowing what i know about my tastes, that i'll need that heavenly help.)

Let me second that. Thanks for posting the great info Joat! I think I'll start out with the New York Malmsey one day and see how it goes. Hmm we were talking about having a dessert wine tasting here in Dec...

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple