themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
ScottHarveyWines wrote:The Gewurztraminer is bottled under the Castello di Amorosa label, not the Sattui label. I'm looking at the back of the bottle as I'm enjoying a glass of the wine. The website on the back label is www.castellodiamorosa.com.

thank you for this - and for all of your other posts this evening - has WD tried to finagle you into contributing your own Random Ramblings here ala Peter Wellington? if he has not, then he should. if he has, then i hope that he succeeds.

do you know... what biodynamics is?

themostrighteous

ddeuddeg wrote:IIRC, even he has 4 different strokes.

err, yes, my point precisely.

themostrighteous

ddeuddeg wrote:Very perspicacious!

and, if the offering IS Gewurtz, then oh so BODACIOUS!!!

Cesare

quality posts: 1564 Private Messages Cesare
themostrighteous wrote:thank you for this - and for all of your other posts this evening - has WD tried to finagle you into contributing your own Random Ramblings here ala Peter Wellington? if he has not, then he should. if he has, then i hope that he succeeds.

Ditto. SH is to Napa what PW is to Sonoma.
And I'm also hoping for some Gewürztraminer.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron
winefarm wrote:This suggests "lay". The direct object being it.

The verb lay means to place or to set down. It always takes a direct object, the thing that is placed or set down.
Examples: Lay the magazine on the table.
I have laid the bike under the tree.
The verb lie means to recline. It does not take a direct object.
Examples: I will lie down around noon.
Let's go lie out on the grass.

No, it's "lie"

"it" is the direct object, but of "let" not of "lie" ""You" is the implied subject and "let" is the verb. What are "you" "letting" ? "It"

"lie" is what "it" is doing.

I'm sure someone else already corrected, but way too many pages of stuff.

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
iByron wrote:No, it's "lie"

"it" is the direct object, but of "let" not of "lie" ""You" is the implied subject and "let" is the verb. What are "you" "letting" ? "It"

Bah, it's a living language, by the time you guys have settled this the proper usage will have changed.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

clintmccaskill

quality posts: 1 Private Messages clintmccaskill

Start doing "NON" cali wines!!!

Clint

Cesare

quality posts: 1564 Private Messages Cesare
clintmccaskill wrote:Start doing "NON" cali wines!!!

They already "started" a long time ago. Last one was only 2 months ago, Greg Norman Australian Shiraz on June 19th.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

conroo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages conroo
clintmccaskill wrote:Start doing "NON" cali wines!!!

Lest we forget the Standing Stone Ice-Style wine from New York's Finger Lakes region. Yummy!

W:too many to count
WW:too many to count
SW:too many to count
SOW:too many to count

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
Corrado wrote:To *try* to put this all in perspective from what I recall of previous discussions, your wine drinking habits differ from many of the regulars here in that you don't regularly drink it. Maybe a few bottles/month. For some of us, that's a slow weekend. ;) As a result, you also seem to tend toward pricier ($30+/bottle) wines where you're more likely to start finding great wines.

Having said all that, I was *really* surprised that you dropped a 93 on the Ty Caton Field Blend. Might have to pop another one of mine tomorrow night; I recall agreeing with with CT masses on the FB as a good 88ish wine (but no 90+ TyTanium).

I'm basing the score on the price of the wine and the enjoyment I gained from spending that amount of money. At $15 a bottle including shipping I enjoyed it immensely. I was debating between 92-93, but I thought it was an A over an A-.

crzycajn70

quality posts: 2 Private Messages crzycajn70
ScottHarveyWines wrote:I went to winemaking school in Germany. If any of you wooter's get a chance, try visiting some of my winemaking friends there. Thay are all cutting edge wineries for Germany producing dryer unique style wines.

Scott, I'll be staying in Frankfurt over a weekend on my way back to the US. Are their wines available outside of the wineries? Also, any specific wines you'ld recommend? If I had a full week I'd probably venture out and visit each place. I've been to Bad Durkheim twice for their wine fest and I'm sure I still have a hammer packed away in a box somewhere.

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." --St. Augustine

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
andyduncan wrote:Bah, it's a living language, by the time you guys have settled this the proper usage will have changed.

Right ... the correct phrase is now, "just put it down".

CT | | | | | |

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD
iByron wrote:No, it's "lie"

My son who is a grammer freak (unlike his dad) came up with the same. Watching Tv the other day, he was bothered by "winningest" and said it is not correct although, in the dictionary now ,should be slang. Takes after his mother. I think they keep me around for the wine

rpm

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rpm
ScottHarveyWines wrote:I'm one of the founding members and on the board of the International Riesling Foundation. We are a newly formed world wide group of Riesling producers working togehter to promote Riesling. Our website is not up yet, but will be drinkriesling.com. One of the things we are working on is an international taste scale that we can all use on our labels that lets the customer know what sweetnes level the wine is at. There will be four levels, Dry - Medium Dry - Medium Sweet - Sweet. We are still working out the cut off points between the four levels and they are based on a residual sugar to acid ratio. Hopefully, in the future when you are looking for a dry Riesling or a sweet Riesling the standardized scale will get you to the right wine for the occasion you are purchasing it for. This scale is being spaerheaded by Dan Berger. He has a weekly wine news letter that is my favorite of all the news letters. It is called Dan Berger's Vintage Experiences.

Scott, I think that is an excellent idea. I've been a huge fan of good Riesling for a long time. The German classification system works pretty well, but, of course, requires a fairly significant effort to master, so something similar here and generally around the world would be very helpful. 30-40 years ago, California made some pretty decent Riesling, mostly at something like a Kabinett level of residual sugar or a bit drier (think Fred McCrea's Stony Hill, some of the old Wente, etc.) which went amazingly well with Dungeness crab (a favorite California treat).

Living on the East Coast, however, very little good California Riesling is available at anything like competitive prices when compared with very good German and Alsatian Riesling (very different animals, I know).

I passed on this offering based on the various descriptions, including the alcohol levels: the wines may be good, but I can get better QmP Riesling here for less -- perhaps not the best vineyards, but certainly very respectable ones.

I would love to explore some of the drier German Rieslings, perhaps in a more Alsatian style?

BTW, I thoroughly enjoyed meeting you on the tour and look forward to visiting with you when I'm next in California (or, if you're in NYC, call me).

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

woopdedoo

quality posts: 35 Private Messages woopdedoo
rpm wrote:Scott, I think that is an excellent idea. I've been a huge fan of good Riesling for a long time. The German classification system works pretty well, but, of course, requires a fairly significant effort to master, so something similar here and generally around the world would be very helpful. 30-40 years ago, California made some pretty decent Riesling, mostly at something like a Kabinett level of residual sugar or a bit drier (think Fred McCrea's Stony Hill, some of the old Wente, etc.) which went amazingly well with Dungeness crab (a favorite California treat).

Living on the East Coast, however, very little good California Riesling is available at anything like competitive prices when compared with very good German and Alsatian Riesling (very different animals, I know).

I passed on this offering based on the various descriptions, including the alcohol levels: the wines may be good, but I can get better QmP Riesling here for less -- perhaps not the best vineyards, but certainly very respectable ones.

I would love to explore some of the drier German Rieslings, perhaps in a more Alsatian style?

BTW, I thoroughly enjoyed meeting you on the tour and look forward to visiting with you when I'm next in California (or, if you're in NYC, call me).

I have been a fan of Rieslings for a long time, since spending some time in Germany in high school. (don't ask). I particularly have been fond of the Rieslings from Rheingau, with preferences to the regions up and down the river from Rheingau (vs Mosel Saar Ruwer). Though they can be sweet, good Rieslings can exhibit a lot of character - often moreso than one extracts from a Chardonnay or a Sav Blanc. They do not need to be sweet and a Kabinett seems to be the neutral balancing point for the variety.

As RPM pointed out, one thing I particularly appreciate about German Rieslings is one can find everything they want to know about the wine from the label. Grape, Region, Grower, time of grape harvest (by extrapolation). The upshot, is that you can shop for these wines and if you know what you like, you can usually have some assurance of what you will be getting by a close examination of the label.

rco

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rco
themostrighteous wrote:thank you for this - and for all of your other posts this evening - has WD tried to finagle you into contributing your own Random Ramblings here ala Peter Wellington? if he has not, then he should. if he has, then i hope that he succeeds.

A strong second for this suggestion. Scott is a very talented story teller-- loved his descriptions of his grandfather selling grapes in bulk and wine making with the baseball bat. I bet he has more.

wootvirgin69

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wootvirgin69
ScottHarveyWines wrote:I'm one of the founding members and on the board of the International Riesling Foundation.

Hey Scott, thanks for chiming in on this offering, I'm in for one. Do you ever significantly blend your rieslings? I love the entire range of rieslings, but there is a small winery here in VA that does a Riesling/Muscat Ottonel blend (I believe it's about 60/40), and it's one of my favorite wines ever. I don't see this all that much, but I was just curious.

Daystar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Daystar

Looking for a suggestion for BBQ Ribs and wine.

Temparnillo, Cab, Merlot, Zin, PS, PV, Syrah, Field Blend, Sousao, Victory?

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
Daystar wrote:Looking for a suggestion for BBQ Ribs and wine.

Temparnillo, Cab, Merlot, Zin, PS, PV, Syrah, Field Blend, Sousao, Victory?

Check out the drinking and imPairing thread, I'm x-posting and responding over there...

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 151 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines

Yes, WD has asked me to participate with Random Ramblings. Haven't taken the time to look at it yet. I'm afraid I'll get hooked and spend to much time. I sure enjoy the wine woot community.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
cheron98 wrote:Check out the drinking and imPairing thread, I'm x-posting and responding over there...

On a•pair•i•tif, I absolutely love it. I like the idea, it's beautifully executed, the recipe looks simple and delicious, I wish I had that wine to try out with it. I do have one question, though. I add up the numbers on the wine rating, and I don't get 86. Did I miss something obvious?

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

rpm

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rpm
woopdedoo wrote:I have been a fan of Rieslings for a long time, since spending some time in Germany in high school. (don't ask). I particularly have been fond of the Rieslings from Rheingau, with preferences to the regions up and down the river from Rheingau (vs Mosel Saar Ruwer). Though they can be sweet, good Rieslings can exhibit a lot of character - often moreso than one extracts from a Chardonnay or a Sav Blanc. They do not need to be sweet and a Kabinett seems to be the neutral balancing point for the variety.

As RPM pointed out, one thing I particularly appreciate about German Rieslings is one can find everything they want to know about the wine from the label. Grape, Region, Grower, time of grape harvest (by extrapolation). The upshot, is that you can shop for these wines and if you know what you like, you can usually have some assurance of what you will be getting by a close examination of the label.

I'm with you preferring Rheingau to Mosel-Saar-Ruwer as a general rule.

Once upon a time (both before Prohibition and through the '60s), Rieslings were among the most popular premium or semi-premium whites in California. Not all of it was true (or Johannisbuger) Riesling (there was also Grey Riesling and Sylvaner Riesling), but the best was. More generic version would be labeled as Moselle or Hock.

One of the things that killed the market for California Riesling (especially outside of California) was that you never knew (especially in those day when people did not list residual sugar on the bottle) what you were going to get from one winery to the next in terms of sweetness/dryness, vinification style or varietal character. The best Riesling in California has tended to come from the Anderson Valley in Mendocino County for a long time, or from the cooler areas of Sonoma County.

Some of the nice cool areas that were so good for Riesling also happened to be great for Chardonnay. Over time, as the demand for Chardonnay increased, and the price of Chardonnay fruit began to become a multiple of the price for Riesling, a fair bit of the better Riesling in Sonoma and Napa Counties was replaced with Chardonnay -- or at least not replanted with Riesling when the vineyard needed replanting.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

ScottHarveyWines

crzycajn70 wrote:Scott, I'll be staying in Frankfurt over a weekend on my way back to the US. Are their wines available outside of the wineries? Also, any specific wines you'ld recommend? If I had a full week I'd probably venture out and visit each place. I've been to Bad Durkheim twice for their wine fest and I'm sure I still have a hammer packed away in a box somewhere.

I'm not sure if they do are not, but I would guess so. I'll give you their phone numbers so you can call them. They all have someone there that can speak English if need be. Kurt Wolf 06238 2593, Roland Pfleger 06353 7465, Markus Riedlin 06531 91000, K Fitz Ritter 06322 66177. If you are dialing from the States dial a 011 49 first and don't dial the first 0. I worked the Durkeimer Wurstmarkt in 1976. A wonderful week long wine festival. It will be starting up soon, usually the second week in September. Gute Reise!

ScottHarveyWines

wootvirgin69 wrote:Hey Scott, thanks for chiming in on this offering, I'm in for one. Do you ever significantly blend your rieslings? I love the entire range of rieslings, but there is a small winery here in VA that does a Riesling/Muscat Ottonel blend (I believe it's about 60/40), and it's one of my favorite wines ever. I don't see this all that much, but I was just curious.

What's the wineries name, I'll go on the website and see if I can order some. I would love to try it. Most of my Rieslings are vineyard specific so I don't do a lot of blending. Probably would if I had other white wines I was making in my cellar, but make pretty much only Riesling for white wines. I suggested maybe making some Gewurztraminer, and my wife, the one that has to sell all this wine, gave me a pretty cold stare. I guess I'll just have to buy my Gewurztraminer from Sattui's Castello di Amorosa for now. I do know of a good Gewurztraminer Vineyard in Mendocino thou, that I used to make an Ice Wine form for Folie a Deux. Maybe they still have some garapes. This is how it all gets started.

ddeuddeg

woopdedoo wrote:I have been a fan of Rieslings for a long time, since spending some time in Germany in high school. (don't ask). I particularly have been fond of the Rieslings from Rheingau, with preferences to the regions up and down the river from Rheingau (vs Mosel Saar Ruwer). Though they can be sweet, good Rieslings can exhibit a lot of character - often moreso than one extracts from a Chardonnay or a Sav Blanc. They do not need to be sweet and a Kabinett seems to be the neutral balancing point for the variety.

You might just enjoy this one from Scott Harvey's Jana label, made from fruit grown in your back yard
(quoting from the website):
2007 Jana Michigan Riesling

Fantastic off dry Riesling from the Leelanau Peninsula in Michigan!

Gold Medal - Michigan Wine Competition

1 of only 3 Silver Medals given at the International Riesling Competition

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
ddeuddeg wrote:On a•pair•i•tif, I absolutely love it. I like the idea, it's beautifully executed, the recipe looks simple and delicious, I wish I had that wine to try out with it. I do have one question, though. I add up the numbers on the wine rating, and I don't get 86. Did I miss something obvious?

I just added them, and they add up to 86. When you add on the 50 as needed for the 100 point scale.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

cheron98

ddeuddeg wrote:On a•pair•i•tif, I absolutely love it. I like the idea, it's beautifully executed, the recipe looks simple and delicious, I wish I had that wine to try out with it. I do have one question, though. I add up the numbers on the wine rating, and I don't get 86. Did I miss something obvious?

when you add them up, you should get 36. Wine ratings have a base score of 50, so you add your score to the 50 and that's what the final rating is. I'm glad you enjoyed the post! Keep an eye out for more to come. I'm going to TRY to do at least one a week, but I'm not making any promises.

ddeuddeg

MarkDaSpark wrote:I just added them, and they add up to 86. When you add on the 50 as needed for the 100 point scale.

Like I said, something obvious, like adding on the 50 as needed. I mean, everyone knows that. Good to hear from you again. bahwm missed you, too.

MarkDaSpark

ddeuddeg wrote:Like I said, something obvious, like adding on the 50 as needed. I mean, everyone knows that. Good to hear from you again. bahwm missed you, too.

Well, will probably go silent tomorrow thru Sunday. Heading to NoVA/DC #6 tomorrow!

Some posting from there, but not normal speed. Good to hear from both of you!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ddeuddeg

cheron98 wrote:when you add them up, you should get 36. Wine ratings have a base score of 50, so you add your score to the 50 and that's what the final rating is. I'm glad you enjoyed the post! Keep an eye out for more to come. I'm going to TRY to do at least one a week, but I'm not making any promises.

Fortunately, I don't actually start teaching math again until September 2. I'll try to get in shape by then.
BTW, I love to cook, and I'm always looking for good food/wine pairings, so I'll be watching eagerly.

bigsim1983

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigsim1983
jwhite6114 wrote:Is this the first Riesling offered on w.w?

What do you mean by w.w.

dnasquesttoblack3000

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dnasquesttoblack3000
bigsim1983 wrote:What do you mean by w.w.

wine.woot?

the quest:

1. humbug 2. GV's book 3. Wellington 3+mystery (X2) 4. woot norse thingy with funny bottle (X2) 5. va made me buy gundlach, 6. your mumm 7. willy nilly pinots 8. emergency woot wine 9. fake gunbun, 10. ty field 11. tryasipo'dis

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney
bigsim1983 wrote:What do you mean by w.w.

wine woot
Edit: damn u beat me!

CT

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
bkarney wrote:wine woot
Edit: damn u beat me!

I'd have gone with wascally wabbit, but then I'm never much help.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan

In case you all missed this: Robin Goldstein, the guy who wrote the "Wine Trials" book about how ordinary people suck at judging wine (well, that's not how he spun it, but whatever), created a fake restaurant complete with fake menu and a fake wine list consisting entirely of wines that Wine Spectator had panned, and then applied for the Spectator's "Award of Excellence".

Hilarity Ensues

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

MarkDaSpark

andyduncan wrote:In case you all missed this: Robin Goldstein, the guy who wrote the "Wine Trials" book about how ordinary people suck at judging wine (well, that's not how he spun it, but whatever), created a fake restaurant complete with fake menu and a fake wine list consisting entirely of wines that Wine Spectator had panned, and then applied for the Spectator's "Award of Excellence".

Hilarity Ensues

For some weird reason, the page doesn't load correctly. Something to do with the web site.

Go to their main page, and you can read the article.

Edit: and now it does. Stupid Server Farms .......

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney
andyduncan wrote:In case you all missed this: Robin Goldstein, the guy who wrote the "Wine Trials" book about how ordinary people suck at judging wine (well, that's not how he spun it, but whatever), created a fake restaurant complete with fake menu and a fake wine list consisting entirely of wines that Wine Spectator had panned, and then applied for the Spectator's "Award of Excellence".

Hilarity Ensues

And that was the Reserve list!? I'm guessing they didn't look at the menu at all!

CT

crzycajn70

quality posts: 2 Private Messages crzycajn70
ScottHarveyWines wrote:I'm not sure if they do are not, but I would guess so. I'll give you their phone numbers so you can call them. They all have someone there that can speak English if need be. Kurt Wolf 06238 2593, Roland Pfleger 06353 7465, Markus Riedlin 06531 91000, K Fitz Ritter 06322 66177. If you are dialing from the States dial a 011 49 first and don't dial the first 0. I worked the Durkeimer Wurstmarkt in 1976. A wonderful week long wine festival. It will be starting up soon, usually the second week in September. Gute Reise!

Danke, Scott. I'll try giving them a call once I'm settled. I'll just miss that one as well as Oktoberfest but it's ok. I love the overall atmosphere in Germany any time of the year. great beer, great wine, and great food always make for a great time.

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." --St. Augustine

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 232 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
ScottHarveyWines wrote:Yes, WD has asked me to participate with Random Ramblings. Haven't taken the time to look at it yet. I'm afraid I'll get hooked and spend to much time. I sure enjoy the wine woot community.

Scott,

I've really enjoyed writing blogs here. It has been a bit time consuming, which is one of the reasons I'd like to do it less frequently. It also has been a rewarding process, helping me put my life in wine in perspective. It's very free form - up to the writer. I've mixed day to day diary type stuff with historical, technical, and economic aspects of winemaking, as well as throwing in some personal anecdotes. I still plan to blog here, I just don't want the "pressure" of contributing every two or three weeks (I'm already overdue for my next Random Ramblings - the longest gap so far).

cheron98

SonomaBouliste wrote:Scott,

I've really enjoyed writing blogs here. It has been a bit time consuming, which is one of the reasons I'd like to do it less frequently. It also has been a rewarding process, helping me put my life in wine in perspective. It's very free form - up to the writer. I've mixed day to day diary type stuff with historical, technical, and economic aspects of winemaking, as well as throwing in some personal anecdotes. I still plan to blog here, I just don't want the "pressure" of contributing every two or three weeks (I'm already overdue for my next Random Ramblings - the longest gap so far).

But if you posted it up regularly, it would no longer be random... and you'd have to change the title to "Regular Ramblings..."