themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
jwhite6114 wrote:Then lay yourself down, rest well, and dream of large women.

(that last part was for TMR)

do you know... what biodynamics is?

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD
themostrighteous wrote:<jealous> that is a SERIOUS festival for foodie & wineau alike!!! </jealous>

Come join me my friend! Anyone who hooks me up with 2 bottles of Munch is always welcome

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney

*snip*

vsattui wrote:Greetings Wooters!!

We are so excited to be partnered with wine.woot.com and to read your comments!

Maybe they really did mean "read" and not "respond".... If nothing else, hopefully the Rats will be able to shed some light on the offering.

CT

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm
jwhite6114 wrote:But in the phrase, "let it lie", "it" is performing the action as well. I think it equates to "I will lie down around noon."

Good point. I do think you have put this to rest and I will let it lie.

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD
bkarney wrote:No worries, this storm is a joke, media is bored. I'm in Fort Lauderdale and we are getting the tail end now. I know it's not what you are hoping for but for the sake of the water table I hope this thing plops down over the lake to help bring that level up some, we need it BAD.

Oh I know. But 10 inches expected.Within the last 10 minutes 2 waterspouts off our coast. And they just said that the damn think GAINED strength;now at 65 mph.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
ERMD wrote:Oh I know. But 10 inches expected.Within the last 10 minutes 2 waterspouts off our coast. And they just said that the damn think GAINED strength;now at 65 mph.

Sounds like the perfect time for some V.Sattui dry Riesling. Cause you're gonna get wet, wouldn't wanna drink the off-dry. Nevermind, this joke fell apart faster than, well Fay at least.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
winefarm wrote:Good point. I do think you have put this to rest and I will let it lie.

Ah, but in your use, are YOU the one taking action, thus making the correct verb "lay"? And if so, was I actually doing the same, just implied?

Maybe you were right to begin with ...

Edit: or not...

CT | | | | | |

themostrighteous

bhodilee wrote:Sounds like the perfect time for some V.Sattui dry Riesling. Cause you're gonna get wet, wouldn't wanna drink the off-dry. Nevermind, this joke fell apart faster than, well Fay at least.

ROTFLMAO!!!

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines

I make three off dry Rieslings which I prefer to term as medium dry. One of them is from the McGill Vineyard in Napa Valley that use to be used by Sattui. All of Sattui Rieslings are very well made. I'm in for one.

alansz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alansz

Whoo-hoo, the golden ticket. Thanks, WD and wine.woot. Lucky thing I work at home on Tuesdays. I've just received a bottle of the off-dry reisling and have popped it into the fridge to chill for dinner (maybe Thai food...) and tasting by my wife and I - maybe a couple neighbors too.

Lab rat report tonight!

Rock Hollow sextet (85), Helix three-pack plus one (90), Woot Cellars Humbug (88), Mumm Napa Sparkling trio (90), Montinore Estate Williamette trio (85), Armida Winery Poizin (95), SakeOne Sake quartet (92), C&T Cellars double-duo (88) (Ratings mine)

bhodilee

ScottHarveyWines wrote:I make three off dry Rieslings which I prefer to term as medium dry. One of them is from the McGill Vineyard in Napa Valley that use to be used by Sattui. All of Sattui Rieslings are very well made. I'm in for one.

Yay to Scott, not even his wines this week and he's picking up the slack and telling us about the wines. You're gonna find yourself a black boxer before you know it. Thanks!!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

cole103

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cole103

Yahoo---1200hrs, knock on the door, Golden Ticket delivered. I am a LabRat for the 2007 Dry Johannisberg Reisling. While I am more familiar with German Reislings like Bereich Bernkastle and Piesporter Goldtropfchen, I am excited to try a drier American Reisling. Chilling now, will consult Dornenburg/Page "What to Drink with What You Eat" for menu ideas. Will respond later tonight with impressions. WineDavid--Thanks for my chance at LabRattery.

Cole

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney
jwhite6114 wrote:Can't believe he held on for that whole ride! Impressive, really.

You are actually strapped to them, he screwed up in that he didn't pull the release in time, not that he had much!! There are competitions for these all the time, you wouldn't believe how high some go that get caught in thermals (i mean hundreds of feet), pretty scary.

Edit: I guess this should probably go to the Pub huh, my bad!

CT

themostrighteous

ScottHarveyWines wrote:I make three off dry Rieslings which I prefer to term as medium dry. One of them is from the McGill Vineyard in Napa Valley that use to be used by Sattui. All of Sattui Rieslings are very well made. I'm in for one.

AWESOME! a winemaker finally shows up! i guess a winemaker is better than no winemaker!

so, seriously, as somebody who makes Napa Rieslings, do you have any sense of what their drinkability windows might be? i know, i know, it's a triple bank shot in terms of comparability. but i thought i'd try anyway.

crzycajn70

quality posts: 2 Private Messages crzycajn70

having gone in on both offerings last week as well as purchasing wine from Laura directly and knowing I'll be in Germany in about 6 weeks, I have to pass. After living in Germany for 3 years in the early 90's I have a loyalty to their rieslings and I'll probably have a half case with me when I hit the states as well as a bottle of two of Asbach brandy. still looking forward to hearing from the rats.

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." --St. Augustine

smlauren

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smlauren
bhodilee wrote:I'd not be able to drink, I hate Mickey Mouse and would punch him if I were drunk.

Bowtie,
You would like this book......
Team Rodent : How Disney Devours the World by Carl Hiaasen

439 Bottles
$8,531.53
Avg. cost per bottle $19.43

clarefree

quality posts: 1 Private Messages clarefree
tkastorff wrote:*giggles* *giggles* *giggles* *giggles*! we were in Napa in May and had free drink tix to V.S., and went, and damn if it isn't like Disneyland in that place ...

but we love Riesling so in for at least one .... but this is pricey for Riesling, I can get $6 C St Michelle at Costco that I think is great

Just had the Chateau St. Michelle Reisling yesterday and it was good, and it was $9 in TX. I love the Sattui reds, have had the reislings several times. They're kinda sweet. I'll wait for the reds later this week.

101 woots since 9/07. Woooooot!

Cesare

quality posts: 1597 Private Messages Cesare

Nice to see you over here Scott! I was seriously thinking of emailing you. Maybe you can talk about the wine sweetness scale chart that you are involved with creating. It would be very useful in situations like this where people always wonder: what's dry or off dry? Numbers or graphical representation are much easier to understand.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

bhodilee

smlauren wrote:Bowtie,
You would like this book......
Team Rodent : How Disney Devours the World by Carl Hiaasen

My issue is with Mickey in particular. He held Bugs back man, Bugs'd kick his ass in any contest you can come up with. Except for pissing bowtie off with lameness. Mickey'd win that one

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
ERMD wrote:My 2 cents;
This is OUR community and input is appreciated. My thoughts though are what one person likes another may not. Just because CLAYs taste may be"more refined" than others shouldnt discount this or any other wine that appears. Several people at work read the comments and the take was he sounds like a wine snob and THAT is why they will not discuss wine as they feel intimidated.(Clay not to say you are so dont get ticked).I agree we should discuss taste. But just because someone likes The penguin shouldnt be chastised for having an uneducated palate. Promote our love of Wine.
Also you may think the place is cheesy whereas others may have very fond memories which include the wine.
To all best of life and enjoy

i'm only a snob to people who don't know wine *wink*. Just kidding. No offense taken

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
clayfu wrote:i'm only a snob to people who don't know wine *wink*. Just kidding. No offense taken

funny

CT | | | | | |

clayfu

Kothoga wrote:As much of a riesling fiend that I am, I'm passing this week. Maynard has just released two new Caduceus wines so my wine funds are going there.

Here's hoping to more rieslings in the near future!

okay talking about wines i dislike...... I went to a tasting hosted by KLwines and Maynard

We tried the Cucacabra (sorry can't spell worth a damn), the Naga, the Sensei, and the Primer paso. Somewhere in the last month i lost the tasting notes, but from what i remembered...

The naga was overly sweet with an overdose of sangoviese, tons of oak and pretty disjointed at the moment. Still very tannic but the bright sour notes is kind of off putting. I figure if you came back in 4 year it'll be a much better wine.

The Sensei was their cab and it was ultra oaky and fruit, i mean the wines were all fruit bombs, but this one was all over the place. It's a big wine, but not enjoyable. Better values could be found in Napa for $30 let alone $90.

The Primer Paso was the most disappointing (not that the Sensei wasn't as disappointing cause it was at their $90 asking price), it's billed as an aussie shiraz, but it didn't have that big sweet fruitness of a shiraz, it just kind of faded away in the mouth. Just piercing acidity accompanied by zero fruit. It was like drinking cough syrup, and not in the good auzzie shiraz style.

Cucacabra wasn't bad, I just remember thinking.. I don't hate it at the $24 price point.

bahwm

quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm
ERMD wrote:Oh I know. But 10 inches expected.Within the last 10 minutes 2 waterspouts off our coast. And they just said that the damn think GAINED strength;now at 65 mph.

I'll take the s--w stuff any day, thank you! We can safely sit at home and drink our wine and not worry about our homes being destroyed.

Be safe.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

gcdyersb

quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb

Not so much into Rieslings, so this one's easy to resist. If I had to buy a sparkling white wine, though, I'd get a Gewürztraminer. But I much prefer my wine still and red.

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

i spoke to Tom Davies, President of V. Sattui winery today.

it snuck up on us a little bit, but harvest is upon us. Sauv Blanc is already being picked.

They'll be chiming in pretty soon, but we are now looking at "crush" type communication for the next couple of months.

Thanks,

clayfu

gcdyersb wrote:Not so much into Rieslings, so this one's easy to resist. If I had to buy a sparkling white wine, though, I'd get a Gewürztraminer. But I much prefer my wine still and red.

I don't think gewurztraminer is traditionally sparkling?

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
gcdyersb wrote:Not so much into Rieslings, so this one's easy to resist. If I had to buy a sparkling white wine, though, I'd get a Gewürztraminer. But I much prefer my wine still and red.

sparkling? who said anything about sparkling? or Gewurtz sparkling?

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

bhodilee

Winedavid39 wrote:i spoke to Tom Davies, President of V. Sattui winery today.

it snuck up on us a little bit, but harvest is upon us. Sauv Blanc is already being picked.

They'll be chiming in pretty soon, but we are now looking at "crush" type communication for the next couple of months.

Thanks,

Is that early? It seems early, but it's not like I actually know.

bhodilee

Here Cheron, sorry, though you replied to Clay and were excited about a sparkling Gewurtz. Which would be good

notfromtexas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages notfromtexas

Why I hate Fed Ex:
Because I am at home ALL morning, doing very little, and when I walk upstairs to use the bathroom for 2 minutes, they run up, ring the doorbell, and run away before I can run the window with pants around ankles screaming "STOP!! STOP!! BRING BACK MY WINE YOU SHORT PANTS WEARING BASTARDS!!!"

Sigh.
Will have to wait til tomorrow.

mlhelm

quality posts: 8 Private Messages mlhelm
notfromtexas wrote:Why I hate Fed Ex:
. . . .

Classic!! :D Best story ever (well, this week at least).

more than enough wine.woots!

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
Because I am at home ALL morning, doing very little, and when I walk upstairs to use the bathroom for 2 minutes, they run up, ring the doorbell, and run away before I can run the window with pants around ankles screaming "STOP!! STOP!! BRING BACK MY WINE YOU SHORT PANTS WEARING BASTARDS!!!"

Sigh.

They're watching, you know. They wait for JUST THAT MOMENT. You should be able to call the local FedEx hub and go pick it up tonight if you so desired.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Scott was kind enough to invite us to his home/winery/vineyard last month to taste a number of his wines, including a Riesling made from grapes grown in Michigan, as well as one from Napa. The Michigan one reminded me of my favorite German style Rieslings from the Finger Lakes.
Scott, having enjoyed your Rieslings as much as I did, I'm glad to have your input on these.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

Sigh.

Reminds me of George Costanza's Vandelay industry episode... classic!

Cesare

quality posts: 1597 Private Messages Cesare
Winedavid39 wrote:Reminds me of George Costanza's Vandelay industry episode... classic!

llo. It's Vandelay! Vandelay!

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

Luci444

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Luci444

My third wine woot!! I LOVE RIESLINGS!!

kramsauer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kramsauer

Someone introduced a big dose of cork taint into this (half) week's forum..

[edit]Hey! 100 posts. And it had to come when I had nothing constructive to say...

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
Cesare wrote:llo. It's Vandelay! Vandelay!

And you want to be my latex salesman.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

gcdyersb

quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb
cheron98 wrote:sparkling? who said anything about sparkling? or Gewurtz sparkling?

I learned something new today. I've had Riesling twice and Gewürztraminer one; these were all sparkling wines, though not made via methode champenoise. It was more of a light fizz than true sparkle, so I have no idea if it was intended. Bad assumption that was the primary style for these varietals.

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

dnth82002

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dnth82002

Wow... I thought I was seeing things when I saw "V Sattui" here on wine.woot. I hate wine...I'm sorry I just do (well did). Before the summer of '06 I hadn't found a wine that I liked anywhere, but that summer, I took a trip to the V Sattui winery. My girlfriend and I were on a vacation in Cali and driving through Napa on our way to Lake County from San Fran. We were stopping at various wineries on our trip and one of our stops was V Sattui. First off, I have to say that if you're ever in Napa, you HAVE TO stop here. It has to be one of the most beautiful places out there. They picnic grounds and cafe got us to stop there but the wine kept us there. I think we spent three or four hours there. OK... so back to the wine. We'd been to a few other places before stopping there and everywhere we went I'd spit out whatever I was tasting. Nothing did it for me. That is until the Riesling hit my lips. It was love at first taste. We bought 4 bottles, killed 2 in Cali, and savored the two we brought home. I highly recommend anything from V Sattui, and their Riesling takes the cake. If I could get this delivered to my state I would order twice.