Volunteer Moderator

V Sattui Winery Riesling - Four Pack
$54.99 + $7.00 shipping
condition:
White - 750ml
products:
2 07 Dry Riesling 750ml
2 07 Off-Dry Riesling 750ml

carp... might be in for 3 woots in a row...

CT links above.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan

Congrats dnasquesttoblack3000 on a quick and accurate guess!

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

verbisactionword

quality posts: 1 Private Messages verbisactionword

I absolutely LOVE riesling, so I'll be in for one later today. But is anyone else wondering how this wine was bottled BEFORE it was harvested...

Harvest Dates: Sep 1- Oct 3, 2007
Production: 4,345 Cases (750 ml bottles)
Date Bottled: February 28, 2007

"If your mother says she loves you...check it out."
-Journalism Proverb

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 47 Private Messages SmilingBoognish

Wow. V Sattui. I just told my wife and she said, "That's not wine, that's a tourist trap!".

I'm out...

nematic

quality posts: 6 Private Messages nematic
andyduncan wrote:Congrats dnasquesttoblack3000 on a quick and accurate guess!

was that first person - first guess got it right? wow

dnasquesttoblack3000

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dnasquesttoblack3000
andyduncan wrote:Congrats dnasquesttoblack3000 on a quick and accurate guess!

thanks - looks like a great offering, and i'm real glad and excited that i can finally woot again thanks to loonleggers. i will be excited to find that gunbun here or elsewhere soon!

the quest:

1. humbug 2. GV's book 3. Wellington 3+mystery (X2) 4. woot norse thingy with funny bottle (X2) 5. va made me buy gundlach, 6. your mumm 7. willy nilly pinots 8. emergency woot wine 9. fake gunbun, 10. ty field 11. tryasipo'dis

brockb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brockb

Love the winery (great place for a picnic)... but never tried any of their wines (we always take our own bottle in our picnic basket). I may have to pass this week with all of the indulgence last week. I'll wait to see what the 2nd half of the week brings.

auggie24

quality posts: 23 Private Messages auggie24

jomosul (or something like that) said:

First!

I wish wine.woot would make items that didn't cost $60.

How about selling ONE bottle of wine at a time, guys?

Just wanted to reply to say that it would not make economic sense at $5 or $7 shipping to buy only one bottle. At that shipping price, the bottle then becomes about as expensive as the one in your local shop, if not more. To really maximize the price advantage, you need to get multiples.

Cesare

quality posts: 1618 Private Messages Cesare
SmilingBoognish wrote:Wow. V Sattui. I just told my wife and she said, "That's not wine, that's a tourist trap!".

I'm out...

It might be but they make some great Rieslings. I never thought I'd see V. Sattui on woot! In for at least 1...

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

nematic

SmilingBoognish wrote:Wow. V Sattui. I just told my wife and she said, "That's not wine, that's a tourist trap!".

I'm out...

I did visit there in Jan, and the store and fake cellar is quite the tourist trap. But a little ways behind it is an actual winery.

fseppy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fseppy

not a riesling fan unless indian food is involved, but my love for this winery runs deep. In for one out of loyalty, and hoping for some of their awesome reds come Thursday.

hey, not in for the labrattery this week. In Lodi, then running 220 miles as part of a relay. Won't be abode-side until next week.

fseppy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fseppy
nematic wrote:I did visit there in Jan, and the store and fake cellar is quite the tourist trap. But a little ways behind it is an actual winery.

ah, beg to differ. They have some lovely wines. That they have capitalized on the tourist trade does not negate that.

this was actually replying to the "tourist trap" original post.

andyduncan

auggie24 wrote:jomosul (or something like that) said:

Just wanted to reply to say that it would not make economic sense at $5 or $7 shipping to buy only one bottle. At that shipping price, the bottle then becomes about as expensive as the one in your local shop, if not more. To really maximize the price advantage, you need to get multiples.

Not to mention that as with regular woot, the $5/$7 shipping doesn't cover the actual cost of shipping, some of it is baked into the price. And shipping one bottle is almost as expensive as shipping two. One-bottle offerings wouldn't have the same level of discount.

tkastorff

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tkastorff

I'm out...

*giggles* *giggles* *giggles* *giggles*! we were in Napa in May and had free drink tix to V.S., and went, and damn if it isn't like Disneyland in that place ...

but we love Riesling so in for at least one .... but this is pricey for Riesling, I can get $6 C St Michelle at Costco that I think is great

w.w bottles| 308 L: Spelletich Lodi Sangiovese

"Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad wine"

Cesare

fseppy wrote:ah, beg to differ. They have some lovely wines. That they have capitalized on the tourist trade does not negate that.

Very true. Another reason to like them is they bottle some hard to find varietals and they make a full range of wines, from white to rose to red to dessert to port. Love their Gamay Rouge and Muscat.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph

Any idea of alcohol % on these?

Sooo tempted. Except I won't be here to receive I don't think. Maybe I can gift them...

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

andyduncan

fairnymph wrote:Any idea of alcohol % on these?

Sooo tempted. Except I won't be here to receive I don't think. Maybe I can gift them...

Front page has the "Off Dry" listed as 13.2 %v/v, doesn't say anything about the "Dry"

They don't say what the RS is on the "Dry" one, I wonder if it's completely dry, or champagne "dry".

EDIT: Web site says 0.8% RS for the Dry (2.0% for the Off Dry)
EDIT2: Dammit, that's for the '06...

dawntheirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dawntheirl

Ovaltina, my goat! V Sattui on Woot! I love this place. I was up in Napa Saturday and we so wanted to stop here to re-stock on the Riesling but didn't make it. I"m so excited to see it here. In for one and I hope my request to be a labrat is still in effect!!!

WonderWooter

quality posts: 6 Private Messages WonderWooter
tkastorff wrote:*giggles* *giggles* *giggles* *giggles*! we were in Napa in May and had free drink tix to V.S., and went, and damn if it isn't like Disneyland in that place ...

but we love Riesling so in for at least one .... but this is pricey for Riesling, I can get $6 C St Michelle at Costco that I think is great

I am thinking with them being dry that they aren't going to taste a lot like C St. Michelle right? I notice it says peach and tangerine rather than apple/pear.

So can a wine be dry and still have that soft sweetness? (total noob question, I apologize for that)

Don't be sexist. Broads hate that.

nematic

fseppy wrote:

hey, not in for the labrattery this week. In Lodi, then running 220 miles as part of a relay. Won't be abode-side until next week.

Good on ya!

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron

Riesling!! Now that's definitely something that's been asked for quite a bit!

The winery website for those who want more.

iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

conroo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages conroo

I'm not inclined to jump on this. The twice weekly $60+ price points (including shipping) are putting me in the poor-house. Albeit a pleasant journey.

W:too many to count
WW:too many to count
SW:too many to count
SOW:too many to count

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron

Oh, winemaker!

My understanding is that Riesling and Johannisberg Riesling are the same grape. Why do some winemakers choose to call it the former and others the latter? Tradition? Marketing? Using up old labels?

Thanks!
iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

derrico69

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derrico69

i wish this was the Madeira. I have enough local wines that can take the place of these at a low price point.

Cesare

iByron wrote:Oh, winemaker!

My understanding is that Riesling and Johannisberg Riesling are the same grape. Why do some winemakers choose to call it the former and others the latter? Tradition? Marketing? Using up old labels?

Thanks!
iByron

Tradition. Johannisberg Riesling is what Riesling was called in the US originally.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple

secondrowsteve

quality posts: 0 Private Messages secondrowsteve

The off-dry is excellent & it's one of my favorites, so I might be in for 1. It goes for $18.75 a bottle on V. Sattui's website.....

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
Cesare wrote:Very true. Another reason to like them is they bottle some hard to find varietals and they make a full range of wines, from white to rose to red to dessert to port. Love their Gamay Rouge and Muscat.

Gamay Rouge? The bottle you sent us was actually "Napa Gamay" (aka Valdigue)

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity
andyduncan wrote:Not to mention that as with regular woot, the $5/$7 shipping doesn't cover the actual cost of shipping, some of it is baked into the price. And shipping one bottle is almost as expensive as shipping two. One-bottle offerings wouldn't have the same level of discount.

I sold textiles for many years. I once told my employer, whom I assisted with purchasing, "A yard of fabric is a yard of fabric. Wouldn't you rather sell 1 yard at $10-$20 as opposed to 1 yard at $2?" The labor and many (not all) of the associated costs are the same. go woot! I really respect their business model.

joefa88

quality posts: 2 Private Messages joefa88

I see woot finally convinced Daryl to let them woot his vino. Maybe next he'll let them at the Castello di Amorosa. Anyone not familiar with Sattui needs to try this, you will not be disappointed, this is the first time any Sattui wine has been available outside their own store.

Don't let internet radio die, email your senator TODAY!
random crazies = work on a more appropriate blog name

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
iByron wrote:Oh, winemaker!

Thanks!
iByron

To distinguish it from the California-bred emerald riesling (J. Riesling x Muscadelle)

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

hawk0168

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hawk0168

"The shape, label design, and color of those four bottles may put you in mind of beer bottles"

Actually, I thought of mosel bottles when I saw them. Don't tease me woot...

I demand beer.woot!!!!! Sell me 750's!!!!

yumitori

quality posts: 22 Private Messages yumitori

I'm sure these are lovely wines, but Wellington broke me and these are just Rieslings. Why should I consider buying them?

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
joefa88 wrote:I see woot finally convinced Daryl to let them woot his vino. Maybe next he'll let them at the Castello di Amorosa. Anyone not familiar with Sattui needs to try this, you will not be disappointed, this is the first time any Sattui wine has been available outside their own store.

thank goodness?

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05

AAAARRRRRGGGGG! Dang you WW! After last week I was hoping for something that I could easily pass on.

Sigh... in for 1 so I can beat the deadline.

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

hk94

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hk94

I'd be all over this if all 4 were dry. "Off Dry" is a slippery slope to Blue Nun and other grocery store carp. Might have been enticed if this was May and we had a whole summer where an off dry would be ideal for a concert in the park or sitting on the deck after a long day of work, enjoying the summer evening. But alas, you can already smell autumn in the air in Chicago, and by the time this gets here, I will have zero use for it.

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

So, How good is this deal?

wine.woot sure seems to think it is a good one, based on the write-up this week. But does wine.woot know that Sattui is running some specials on their website right now? Including extra discounts for white wines plus discounts for ordering a case (though you'd have to order at least as many bottles as 3 orders from woot for either of these to kick in)?

Well, if you think that matters, you'd be wrong -- even when shipped to CA and with all of the discounts wine.woot comes in with a lower price (and that's without including tax, which Sattui seems to be calculating even for stats other than CA). And before you talk about driving straight to the winery, Clayfu, it is still cheaper even without winery shipping costs.

Click the link above for details and CT prices.

CT | | | | | |

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

Is this the first Riesling offered on w.w?

CT | | | | | |

gcason

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gcason

I'll expose my ignorance.

What exactly is Off Dry?

A bottle of wine begs to be shared; I have never met a miserly wine lover. -Clifton Paul Fadiman

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
gcason wrote:I'll expose my ignorance.

What exactly is Off Dry?

Just a little bit sweeter than dry.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant