SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 232 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
vaaccess wrote:***URGENT DINNER DECISION NEEDED***

Peter (or anyone)...Getting ready to grill ribeye, corn in husk, and red potatoes (drizzled with olive oil, salt, pepper, cayene pepper, and maybe something else if it strikes me...)

Which of these should I drink with it:
2002 Wellington Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon
2003 Wellington Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Handal-Denier
2003 Wellington Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Mohrhardt Ridge
2005 Wellington Vineyards Grenache Estate
2003 Wellington Vineyards Syrah Cuvée R
2004 Wellington Vineyards Syrah England Crest
2004 Wellington Vineyards Syrah Estate Sonoma County
2002 Wellington Vineyards Syrah Reserve
2004 Wellington Vineyards Victory Reserve
2003 Wellington Vineyards Zinfandel

One of the Cabs. Having company? sauce w/ the ribeye? Casual outdoors or somewhat formal?

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
tomatillo wrote:My turn.
Pizza tonight. Which Wellington?
2003 Wellington Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon

Thanks.

Zin IMHO.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

SonomaBouliste

tomatillo wrote:My turn.
Pizza tonight. Which Wellington?
2003 Wellington Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon

Thanks.

Probably Zin, then Syrah, But, what kind of pizza?

SonomaBouliste

tomatillo wrote:Peter, now you've got me completely confused.
I thought the tartaric (sp?) crystals in your wines - which, by the way, I appreciate with every new one I open! - were there partly because you did not filter.
Please educate the unwashed.

Your spelling's fine. I have discussed this before, so without going into serious wine chemistry: As wine ages, tannins condense into larger molecules. That's a big part of the softening that occurs, and the main reason for aging wines. Ultimately tannins will precipitate. Both potassium (one of the main minerals in wine) and tartaric acid (the main acid in wine) bind weakly with some tannins while they are in solution. As these are released from the tannins they crystallize and also precipitate. Any red wine will eventually form sediment. Many wineries chill their wines to around 25 F prior to bottling, in order to knock as much potassium bitartrate out of solution as possible. Fining and multiple filtration can help remove some of the most labile tannins, also delaying precipitation. IMO, all these practices have some negative affect on flavor.

Oops, I said I wouldn't go into serious wine chemistry, but I kinda did.

SonomaBouliste

Wellll,

Looks like the site is not very busy. At the current rate of one or two orders per hour the button may not bounce until tomorrow, if at all.

I'm still waiting for an answer to trivia question #3. The answer can be found within the confines of wine.w00t

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
andyduncan wrote:To avoid infanticide, these are out:

This is reminiscent of a remark I heard rpm make to Peter about that '95 Cab we had at Deuce last month.
A very thorough and well-reasoned post this was. I think I'll want to hang onto it for future reference, since I have most of those wines myself.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg

andyduncan wrote:Zin IMHO.

Mine, too, especially if there's anything spicy (pepperoni or whatever) involved.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

andyduncan

SonomaBouliste wrote:Wellll,

Looks like the site is not very busy. At the current rate of one or two orders per hour the button may not bounce until tomorrow, if at all.

I'm still waiting for an answer to trivia question #3. The answer can be found within the confines of wine.w00t

SonomaBouliste wrote:At the rate things are going around here, you get at least your full fifteen minutes.

Trivia #3: What do John Lennon, Eddie Cochran and Tom Robbins have in common? (But not Bob Dylan, Mick Jagger or Donald Fagan)

The first three have inspired titles or subtitles of your Random Ramblings column. The others, not so much.

jenludwig

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenludwig
vaaccess wrote:Don't forget about Little Vineyards...THough I'm not sure they'll have an offering the remainder of this year or not.

Also...If you happen to see Gundlach Bundschu offered up, jump all over it. I loved that winery when I was out there and hope to have them join Wine.Woot someday.

Little Vinyards is at the top of my wish list right now. We drank our last bottle from them (the '04 Cab. Sauvignon) a few weeks ago and I wanted to cry! But it was fabulous, and I bet it would have only gotten better the longer it sat!

andyduncan

andyduncan wrote:The first three have inspired titles or subtitles of your Random Ramblings column. The others, not so much.

hmm, well Dylan did inspire this one so maybe that's not it.

ddeuddeg

Peter, I understand you used to play this game. It didn't sound so dangerous.

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
crzycajn70 wrote:well that kills any chance grapefruit wine has anything to do with it.

hehehe!

CT | | | | | |

jwhite6114

SonomaBouliste wrote:I'm guessing people weren't drinking wine in the ticket line or taking bottles and glasses into your theater (unless it's also my theater)

You can do THAT? That is so cool.

We usually sneak in snacks (bought at Costco) in my wife's purse, but never wine. Bummer.

CT | | | | | |

jwhite6114

They deserve more time in the cellar.

Thanks -- I eye these periodically, and think, "Nah! too early."

Glad I have still waited.

CT | | | | | |

vaaccess

quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess

2004 Wellington Vineyards Victory Reserve

They deserve more time in the cellar.

I Haven't tasted these, so I can't comment:

2005 Wellington Vineyards Grenache Estate
2004 Wellington Vineyards Syrah Estate Sonoma County

Which leaves:

2002 Wellington Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon
2004 Wellington Vineyards Syrah England Crest
2002 Wellington Vineyards Syrah Reserve

A Cabernet would be the traditional choice and the 2002 was quite nice. I remember it being a bit dusty-earthy, which I liked.

The 2002 Syrah Reserve actually might work well though too, it's pretty elegant. I seem to remember the England Crest being pretty pungent, probably leave that for something else.

I guess for me it would depend on the meat. If it was a more pedestrian grocery-store (select) or costco (choice) grade wet-aged beef, I would go with the cab. If it's a special prime grade steak and/or a dry-aged deal, I would open the Syrah.

Ok...So, went with the 2002 Cab Sauv. Fricking awesome. Perfect match with the food and incredibly good wine in general. A friend who ate it with me isn't in to red wine, but LOVED it. So...That's saying something.

(THat's the wine I had already pulled out, actually...)

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

ddeuddeg

jwhite6114 wrote:Thanks -- I eye these periodically, and think, "Nah! too early."

I would have thought the same. Interestingly, Peter simply said one of the Cabs.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
jwhite6114 wrote:You can do THAT? That is so cool.

We usually sneak in snacks (bought at Costco) in my wife's purse, but never wine. Bummer.

Not in line at one theater in the area. But you can order a beer or glass/bottle of wine and a sandwich for while you watch the movie.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

jwhite6114

ddeuddeg wrote:This is reminiscent of a remark I heard rpm make to Peter about that '95 Cab we had at Deuce last month.

Not to be mistaken for the fact that we thoroughly enjoyed said '95 cab!

CT | | | | | |

jwhite6114

jenludwig wrote:Little Vinyards is at the top of my wish list right now. We drank our last bottle from them (the '04 Cab. Sauvignon) a few weeks ago and I wanted to cry! But it was fabulous, and I bet it would have only gotten better the longer it sat!

I determined, on the RPM tour, that Sonoma Valley is a pretty wicked-cool AVA. I came to this conclusion largely after tasting Little Vineyards. I was already impressed with Wellington, but after liking everything we tasted at Little V, I thought, "Hmm ... there's something to this region."

CT | | | | | |

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
jwhite6114 wrote:I determined, on the RPM tour, that Sonoma Valley is a pretty wicked-cool AVA. I came to this conclusion largely after tasting Little Vineyards. I was already impressed with Wellington, but after liking everything we tasted at Little V, I thought, "Hmm ... there's something to this region."

I think I agree with you on that. Wellington, Ty Caton and Little are three of my top wineries (the top 3?). And they are within miles of each other. They also seem to have similar winemaking philosophies, but I think there is something about the terroir that I like.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
MalcolmPX wrote:Would not the increasing demand for "bone dry" wines have played some part in this as well? One way to guarantee no RS is to ferment it all into alcohol and without a reduction agent won't that increase the levels as well?

EDIT: Whoops! I'm only supposed to buy under this name!

and the i stands for oops?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

SonomaBouliste

andyduncan wrote:The first three have inspired titles or subtitles of your Random Ramblings column. The others, not so much.

You're getting close, but the second three are referenced as well. What's the difference?

SonomaBouliste

ddeuddeg wrote:Peter, I understand you used to play this game. It didn't sound so dangerous.

I used to play rugby a long time ago, but your probably referring to petanque. The last time I played that was Wednesday. You do have to be a little careful where you walk, and you're not allowed to play in tournaments without signing a waiver.

oppsie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages oppsie
jwhite6114 wrote:You can do THAT? That is so cool.

I once brought in an entire pizza and a six pack to a movie in NYC. It was awesome.

andyduncan

SonomaBouliste wrote:You're getting close, but the second three are referenced as well. What's the difference?

That you altered the titles for the first three but used the other three wholesale?

jwhite6114

So, several months after ordering the first Corison 2000/2001 Cab Suav with some neighbors, we finally opened them tonight. As has seemingly become SOP, WD (with no little help from WF) sent an extra bottle for the tasting: 2006 Wellington Noir de Noirs, Old Vines.

Without going into too much detail on the Corison, the 2000 was better liked by most, though I and one other liked the 2001 a bit better. Both were pretty well liked, even by my wife, who is not a fan of wine, red wine in particular.

We saved the Wellington NdN for after the cabs (but before the Cab Sauv Port one of my neighbors brought), but everyone tried it. As this was a neighborhood tasting, I did not have to drive home, so I took notes for everyone (good thing, too, cuz I am still drinking that NdN and without notes I would not have much to type here).

Before I get into the notes, know that not everyone involved in the tasting is a wine drinker (my wife), and Wellington (as well as Corison) are not wines locally available so were new to most at the tasting.

On the Noir de Noirs:

M1:
- did not like
- the type I would play with my glass and dump out as soon as I can
- liked the Corisons
- normally likes smooth, mouthful flavors; does not like a lot of bite or "narrow' wines (as in they hit a certain spot in the mouth)

C1:
- makes me shudder
- did not like (does not like most wines, especially red)
- slight burning on the lips

J1:
- liked it, but would not seek it out
- smells like patchouli (the spice worn at Grateful Dead concerts) / sandlewood
- burning on the finish
- very interesting aroma

M2:
- liked it, maybe would buy it
- piney, earthy, "what flower is it?"
- smoother when swished in my mouth
- love to color and aroma
- like it more as I drink it -- very complex

me:
- oaky (butter on the nose and flavor -- good butter; I like butter)
- tannic, but balanced
- fruity and smooth
- liked it -- again (liked it in the tasting room, too)
- seriously looking at how I can get in on this offer

I have not been a big fan of PS (sorry to all you PSadwans out there) -- though I discovered with the right cheese (extra sharp cheddar in my case) I found they can be incredible -- so I have figured for a while that the NdN would not be for me. This is not the case, however; I like the NdN, both on its own and with some good cheese (even cold roast beef). It has fruit, tannins, and complexity. It is balanced, and flavorful. It stands up with strong flavored food, but also works perfectly well on its own (which I am still drinking now).

Thanks SB for finally making this available on w.w. While I did not in any way expect my wife to enjoy this one as she is not a wine drinker (though she almost enjoyed the 2000 Corison Cab Sauv), two out of the other three enjoyed it. I am still enjoying it.

CT | | | | | |

jwhite6114

bhodilee wrote:and the i stands for oops?

silly bhodi ... dat wuz a guud wun!

CT | | | | | |

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
jwhite6114 wrote:As has seemingly become SOP, WD (with no little help from WF) sent an extra bottle for the tasting: 2006 Wellington Noir de Noirs, Old Vines.

packed!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

ddeuddeg

jwhite6114 wrote:Not to be mistaken for the fact that we thoroughly enjoyed said '95 cab!

Totally!

ddeuddeg

jwhite6114 wrote:I determined, on the RPM tour, that Sonoma Valley is a pretty wicked-cool AVA. I came to this conclusion largely after tasting Little Vineyards. I was already impressed with Wellington, but after liking everything we tasted at Little V, I thought, "Hmm ... there's something to this region."

Do tell. I managed to pick up 9 bottles at Wellington, and another 6 at Little, and we hadn't even had lunch!

ddeuddeg

SonomaBouliste wrote:I used to play rugby a long time ago, but your probably referring to petanque. The last time I played that was Wednesday. You do have to be a little careful where you walk, and you're not allowed to play in tournaments without signing a waiver.

Yes, I was referring to pétanque. BTW, have you ever seen a wine by that name, from a winery in Ukiah?

Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr

Yum!! We were so lucky at CWWT#4 to be labratted the 2006 Noir de Noirs. And we loved it!! All of us have purple teeth now, and it was worth every drop. I wish I could give more detailed notes, but it was smooth, it was tasty (I wish I had some spicy sausage or blackened steak to do with it!) and I only ordered one set, but am going to email service for more, it was that good! Only once before have I ordered more than one set of anything, so this is a good thing.

If you haven't bought, buy now!! I hope smlauren, tommycat and/or hardground can provide more detailed notes.

lauratchi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi
polarbear22 wrote:I think I agree with you on that. Wellington, Ty Caton and Little are three of my top wineries (the top 3?). And they are within miles of each other. They also seem to have similar winemaking philosophies, but I think there is something about the terroir that I like.

For me, part of it is the attitude. All are welcoming, so low key and laid back. Genuinely want you to be there and enjoy the wine. Love what they do. It shows.

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

SonomaBouliste

andyduncan wrote:That you altered the titles for the first three but used the other three wholesale?

Bingo! You used a more polite word (altered) than I (bastardized). Hey, how come you're not out on the town? My excuse for staying home watching the olympics is that I'm old, married and worked all day

SonomaBouliste

ddeuddeg wrote:Yes, I was referring to pétanque. BTW, have you ever seen a wine by that name, from a winery in Ukiah?

Actually, I think it's Michel-Slumberger in Dry Creek Valley.

MaskedMarvel

quality posts: 11 Private Messages MaskedMarvel

2005 Wellington Syrah Sonoma Coast - EnglandCrest

Bottle was opened fresh and poured immediately.
Cork has noticeable Tartrate crystals.

Dark garnet to plum. Mild glass staining.

An inviting nose of mild smoke, earth, and berries with a hint of violets.

Silky mouth of smooth and bountiful fruits in an elegant to crisp style. Dark cherries, plum, some blackberry (but slightly unripe), with a healthy dose of spice. Mild acidity. Very well balanced, to the point of difficulty actually pinning everything down. Complex. Off dry with a medium to full body. Very very proportional from the nose to the mouth to the finish. The lingering tastes bring a bit of tannins to the front while leaving fresh fruits in the back.

I gave the 2005 Syrah an easy 90 points in my incredibly inaccurate and sliding scale of "youshouldneverlistentoscores."

As an aside - I'm openly biased towards Wellingtons, since they're what I consider to be the backbone of the w.w experience and my own education of what wine can really be (especially for the price). If you're on the fence, I personally recommend you buy three and do it now. Wellington is a bottle, like the Corison (and for me the Sadler-Wells), you'll be kicking yourself for missing out on. You have been warned.

MaskedMarvel

quality posts: 11 Private Messages MaskedMarvel

Thread hijack!

if anyone in Central NC is interested, I have an extra Champions ticket to the Wyndham Classic in Greensboro. No strings attached. PM me.

8-Damien

andyduncan

SonomaBouliste wrote:Bingo! You used a more polite word (altered) than I (bastardized). Hey, how come you're not out on the town? My excuse for staying home watching the olympics is that I'm old, married and worked all day

Last night was the out on the town night, tonight is recovery with a bottle of cheap bordeaux and a TV tuned to watch Phelps try to get his 8th. (I'm on the west coast, so F-ing NBC is tape-delaying our coverage, no spoilers please)

vaaccess

quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess
polarbear22 wrote:I think I agree with you on that. Wellington, Ty Caton and Little are three of my top wineries (the top 3?). And they are within miles of each other. They also seem to have similar winemaking philosophies, but I think there is something about the terroir that I like.

I completely agree.

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

thrawn1020

quality posts: 23 Private Messages thrawn1020

Wow, the (volunteer) NdN labrats are coming out of the woodwork! That means there's still two outstanding 'brat bottles just sitting somewhere unloved and unopened. Everyone who ordered before the deadline! Go check your place of work, your mailbox, and call your friends you made in security at the company picnic! Those bottles want loving, and soon!

For the record, stuff happened to keep me out of my new apartment for the remainder of the week, so if someone in the land of w00t could pm me if they know i have a bottle waiting, I would appreciate it much. I have been trying to check the door/mailbox of the new place to make sure nothing happened, and will do so again tomorrow. My situation this week has been non-ideal, and I beg forgiveness if indeed the bottle were sent but undeliverable because my name isn't on the mailbox yet.

Oh, and 100 posts! Woohoo!

Not too many to count, but dang. This place has a way of building a cellar for you.