+ Add a Comment

pickles1128

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pickles1128
SonomaBouliste wrote:That is precisely why I never got close to 800 (or equivalent) on SAT/GRE/etc. Laxity and inattention to grammatical detail. My teachers always qualified every nice thing they said with "but according to your potential..."

edit: just fixed 2 typos, as if I needed to remind myself of my shortcomings.

And here I just thought kylemittskus was being pithy.

dnasquesttoblack3000

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dnasquesttoblack3000

okay SB, i know this might be pushing it, but i'm hoping you'll indulge me for a variety of reasons:

1. i wooted 2 when i'm too poor to woot once
2. thanks to loon, i'm now finally able to woot again for the first time in 9 months since having moved to massachusetts
3. after all the great wines, the ty's, the the saxons, and even the april wellington offer, this offer of yours is enough to push me over the edge to drive to NH to wootleg based on how happy your previous wines made me.

so...the indulgence i ask for: would you maybe (once we know what the colors on the bottles are, or whatever) perhaps give us some types of foods we might like to pair with the mystery wines? i'd love to center a (vegetarian) meal for us around the mystery wines rather than drink it solo. i'm not needing something specific - but a range of things as simple as pizza to ever more elegant would really help get the most out of the mystery wine.

thanks!
-dna

the quest:

1. humbug 2. GV's book 3. Wellington 3+mystery (X2) 4. woot norse thingy with funny bottle (X2) 5. va made me buy gundlach, 6. your mumm 7. willy nilly pinots 8. emergency woot wine 9. fake gunbun, 10. ty field 11. tryasipo'dis

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 234 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
dnasquesttoblack3000 wrote:okay SB, i know this might be pushing it, but i'm hoping you'll indulge me for a variety of reasons:

1. i wooted 2 when i'm too poor to woot once
2. thanks to loon, i'm now finally able to woot again for the first time in 9 months since having moved to massachusetts
3. after all the great wines, the ty's, the the saxons, and even the april wellington offer, this offer of yours is enough to push me over the edge to drive to NH to wootleg based on how happy your previous wines made me.

so...the indulgence i ask for: would you maybe (once we know what the colors on the bottles are, or whatever) perhaps give us some types of foods we might like to pair with the mystery wines? i'd love to center a (vegetarian) meal for us around the mystery wines rather than drink it solo. i'm not needing something specific - but a range of things as simple as pizza to ever more elegant would really help get the most out of the mystery wine.

thanks!
-dna

Happy to do so as a fellow vegetarian. I'll have to stay general since we have no way of knowing exactly what the mystery wine will be. All these wines have good acid and enough flavor intensity to pair well with rich hearty foods, so where does that leave us vegetarians as far as sourcing umami? Eggplant Parmesan, ratatouille, grilled portabellos, lentil or bean based stews, almost anything with cheese or cheese alone, and yes, certainly most pizza and pasta.

apatge

quality posts: 0 Private Messages apatge

FreeTheGrape.org says Arizona does ship but Wine Woot says it does not. I have ordered from Wine Woot previously. What is up with that?

Patricia J George

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
SonomaBouliste wrote:Happy to do so as a fellow vegetarian. I'll have to stay general since we have no way of knowing exactly what the mystery wine will be. All these wines have good acid and enough flavor intensity to pair well with rich hearty foods, so where does that leave us vegetarians as far as sourcing umami? Eggplant Parmesan, ratatouille, grilled portabellos, lentil or bean based stews, almost anything with cheese or cheese alone, and yes, certainly most pizza and pasta.

I see how it is: giving the vegetarians special treatment. I'm an apostate vegetarian. What special treatments do I get?! Huh? Huh?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

LBISurfer2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LBISurfer2

Someone please help! I recently moved to Utah from San Diego for a kick ass job in the field of archaeology, but alas! I can no longer order from my beloved wine.woot. If there is ANYONE in the NW Colorado region or SW Wyoming region that would be able to help me out on this one I would gladly make it worth your while. I now live in Vernal Utah (whoa) and would really love to get my hands on some of this. If anyone is able and willing please PM me, and I will forever be in your debt. Thank you woot faithful and enjoy the juice.

Chris

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
LBISurfer2 wrote:Someone please help! I recently moved to Utah from San Diego for a kick ass job in the field of archaeology, but alas! I can no longer order from my beloved wine.woot. If there is ANYONE in the NW Colorado region or SW Wyoming region that would be able to help me out on this one I would gladly make it worth your while. I now live in Vernal Utah (whoa) and would really love to get my hands on some of this. If anyone is able and willing please PM me, and I will forever be in your debt. Thank you woot faithful and enjoy the juice.

Chris

At least you landed that job. Congrats on that!!!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

Princessjolie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Princessjolie

Dammit Woot, you can not have anymore of my money, It is only the 11th of the month and I have already given you $300. You will not tempt me with this mystery bottle mess. Nope. I'm not buying.

tomatillo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages tomatillo

I have to admit I'm a convinced Wellington fan.
After reading these pages, I feel we are all lost... have we been transported to
wine.wellington.woot.com?
Peter, have you hijacked this site?
So many fans, so much wine, so little time, such a small and sad (overworked) credit card.

berrda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages berrda

Last wooter to woot: berrda

The pied piper has nothing on this forum.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
Princessjolie wrote:Dammit Woot, you can not have anymore of my money, It is only the 11th of the month and I have already given you $300. You will not tempt me with this mystery bottle mess. Nope. I'm not buying.

You'll be sorry.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
2ndIdentity wrote:Have you seen the fart backpack?

http://www.physorg.com/news135003243.html

wow, that's almost exactly what I had in mind, some kind of thing with a one way valve. Cows are gross, eat more bison

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
Princessjolie wrote:Dammit Woot, you can not have anymore of my money, It is only the 11th of the month and I have already given you $300. You will not tempt me with this mystery bottle mess. Nope. I'm not buying.

Get a sugar daddy, you'll cry if you miss this when we all talk about how great it is. Like they do with the Cuvee R I was too cheap to buy :sad:

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD

First sucker: MaskedMarvel
Speed to first woot: 0m 8.110s

Last wooter to woot: ERMD
Ok so I'm late to the party. In for 3. i can always use a case of Peters wine. In fact, I'm enjoying the 2002 Reserve Syrah. Oh my. Once this thing opened, wow.

People, you can not go wrong with this if you have never tried it

damightyanteater

quality posts: 12 Private Messages damightyanteater

Hey PW.

JUst incase it got lost in all the random posts. The "just grapes" shop I was talking to earlier about is in downtown Chicago, Illinois.

My last 5 woots:
  • Robert Craig Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon x2
  • Woot Cellars Boss Monster Zinfandel Six - Pack
  • Armida Winery Poizin Trio
  • Olivestri Siloro olio nuovo
  • Wellington Vineyard Designate Cabernet Trio

rpm

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm

I missed being able to labrat this... stuck all day in meetings in Manhattan... but, it would be impossible for anyone who was on the tour not to go for at least 2 sets.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

SonomaBouliste

kylemittskus wrote:I see how it is: giving the vegetarians special treatment. I'm an apostate vegetarian. What special treatments do I get?! Huh? Huh?

I'm not familiar with the apostate sect

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
SonomaBouliste wrote:I'm sure nobody who knows me at all actually expected I would be helpful.

helpful? no. cryptic? yes. 'twouldn't be any fun otherwise.

do you know... what biodynamics is?

themostrighteous

rpm wrote:I missed being able to labrat this... stuck all day in meetings in Manhattan... but, it would be impossible for anyone who was on the tour not to go for at least 2 sets.

hmm, i dare say, i think you've called us out!

SonomaBouliste

damightyanteater wrote:Hey PW.

JUst incase it got lost in all the random posts. The "just grapes" shop I was talking to earlier about is in downtown Chicago, Illinois.

Gotcha. Since IL is the only state so far that's been progressive enough to change the 1934 based anti interstate wine laws so far, I canl check into it.
Thank you!

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
rpm wrote:I missed being able to labrat this... stuck all day in meetings in Manhattan... but, it would be impossible for anyone who was on the tour not to go for at least 2 sets.

So, even though bahwm went in for 3, on her first venture into wootdom, I should still pick up at least one more to meet our quota?

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

themostrighteous

SonomaBouliste wrote:Gotcha. Since IL is the only state so far that's been progressive enough to change the 1934 based anti interstate wine laws so far, I canl check into it.
Thank you!

progressive wrt out-of-state wineries perhaps (and so i am happy for you) but not so much wrt out-of-state retailers (and so i am sad for me). c'est la vie. but isn't it always? :P

LBISurfer2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LBISurfer2
kylemittskus wrote:At least you landed that job. Congrats on that!!!

Thanks a lot, so far it's the best job I've ever had, I get free housing and a truck to drive on the company and I get paid to hike 8 miles through the desert/mountains every day, 10 days on and 4 days off. You know what would make it even better though? Some Wellingtons.

SonomaBouliste

themostrighteous wrote:progressive wrt out-of-state wineries perhaps (and so i am happy for you) but not so much wrt out-of-state retailers (and so i am sad for me). c'est la vie. but isn't it always? :P

True, true. The wholesalers' lobby is pretty strong - I guess they needed some concession. Although this does cut down on getting bargains from out of state retailers, it does allow more consumer choice and availability in some ways.

damightyanteater

quality posts: 12 Private Messages damightyanteater
SonomaBouliste wrote:Gotcha. Since IL is the only state so far that's been progressive enough to change the 1934 based anti interstate wine laws so far, I canl check into it.
Thank you!

Im aware of the law change, thats why I brought you to thier attention. I got your back and you got my wallet. *giggles*!

So did you check your email and see if they sent anything. I did direct them to your vineyard's website and they said they would contact you via email that is on your site.

Part of my wishes they sell your stuff so its easier for me to get a hold and the other half is very very afraid.

My last 5 woots:
  • Robert Craig Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon x2
  • Woot Cellars Boss Monster Zinfandel Six - Pack
  • Armida Winery Poizin Trio
  • Olivestri Siloro olio nuovo
  • Wellington Vineyard Designate Cabernet Trio

pickles1128

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pickles1128
bhodilee wrote:wow, that's almost exactly what I had in mind, some kind of thing with a one way valve. Cows are gross, eat more bison

Ooh! Cuvee R. There's an entire shelf in my wine storage holding what used to be a Baker's Dozen of the Cuvee R... may have to open one tomorrow, if I'm not a labrat.

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
SonomaBouliste wrote:The PS is part of the estate portion. The other vineyards are 100% Zin.

And let me tell you, having tried that estate PS, and seen those awesome, gnarled vines up close, it is frakking DELICIOUS.

Too bad there's not enough for a separate bottling...

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
SonomaBouliste wrote:That will make it tough, but he'll just have to use the price of the other bottles - it won't be anything that sells for less than that. And in case loweeel or anyone else is worried, the mystery wine is always red.

Hey, which was the wine I bought on Wednesday? It was your Marsanne . (I picked up that a Wellington offering was forthcoming when I didn't get details on your daughter's project).

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

bahwm

quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm
SonomaBouliste wrote:Happy to do so as a fellow vegetarian. I'll have to stay general since we have no way of knowing exactly what the mystery wine will be. All these wines have good acid and enough flavor intensity to pair well with rich hearty foods, so where does that leave us vegetarians as far as sourcing umami? Eggplant Parmesan, ratatouille, grilled portabellos, lentil or bean based stews, almost anything with cheese or cheese alone, and yes, certainly most pizza and pasta.

We're not vegetarians here in Buffalo, but the eggplant is out in full force as is the zucchini at our local farmers' market. Tomatoes will be out this week. Sounds like ratatouille time! Oh, ya! Add some garlic toast and your wine and nirvana is reached!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

Oh, it's quite possible to go in for just one set.

I'm buying wine faster than I can drink it. Boxes are piling up in my basement. I need to quit, but I'm not sure how or when. Or why.

I would have liked three different mystery wines, but I can't justify more than one.

Wanted: SM looking for SF to help consume vast amounts of fine wines. Must have decanter...

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

boatman72

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72
SonomaBouliste wrote:Interesting article. As an aside, the EPA was considering requiring CO2 "scrubbers" on large wine fermenters back in the 80's. An industry study convinced them it was impractical.

That would be like putting charcoal canisters on the backside of cattle !!!

jstutman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jstutman

Anyone aware of shipping time to Missouri? Im leaving for Virginia next week for 5 months but I really want to order this and hopefully get it before I leave

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
jstutman wrote:Anyone aware of shipping time to Missouri? Im leaving for Virginia next week for 5 months but I really want to order this and hopefully get it before I leave

Refrigerated shipping is in place. Not sure if it would get there in time. When did you order? Early today? WD might have some idea if you get him more info on your order,

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm
jstutman wrote:Anyone aware of shipping time to Missouri? Im leaving for Virginia next week for 5 months but I really want to order this and hopefully get it before I leave

Tight. we can always ship to Virginia...

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm

Well put Mr. RPM.

WD

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx
JOATMON wrote:
I would have liked three different mystery wines, but I can't justify more than one.

Same here, but could NOT pass up 1. Gotta save up for these two-a-weeks.

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

Princessjolie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Princessjolie

The mystery bottle compels. MUST.NOT.PRESS.BIG.BUTTON.

Damn you woot!

First sucker: MaskedMarvel
Speed to first woot: 0m 8.110s

Last wooter to woot: Princessjolie

lauratchi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi

Hmmm...

For those of us who have Wellington in our wine stash...

We may already have said mystery bottle. Yes?

I am starting to get so confused by this concept.

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

WonderWooter

quality posts: 6 Private Messages WonderWooter

You know, I find it very interesting that you are a vegetarian. I would assume that because your palette is so geared toward wine, that you would almost pair your food to the wine, as opposed to vice versa (sp).

I suppose it just an impression that reds pair up so much better with meat? How did you come about becoming a vegetarian (if you don't mind me asking) Was it before or after you were well into your wine career?

Don't be sexist. Broads hate that.

SonomaBouliste

WonderWooter wrote:You know, I find it very interesting that you are a vegetarian. I would assume that because your palette is so geared toward wine, that you would almost pair your food to the wine, as opposed to vice versa (sp).

I suppose it just an impression that reds pair up so much better with meat? How did you come about becoming a vegetarian (if you don't mind me asking) Was it before or after you were well into your wine career?

Before, coming up on 38 years now. Looking back on my likes and dislikes growing up, I really think it was predestined.