+ Add a Comment

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 33 Private Messages ddeuddeg
SonomaBouliste wrote:If you're discerning, you'll know when you try it

Way to go, SB, heap on the pressure!

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
SonomaBouliste wrote:Those are only the ones listed on our website

Ah!!!

An enigma disguised as a clarification!!!

Damn you Wellington and your tricks! And damn us all for loving them so much.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
bhodilee wrote:Spill on the Noirs Sparky. How was it? What's it like? Can you literally drink it with a fork? Is it massively tannic? Is it as delicious as I hope?

mmmmmmmm .... Wellington Noir de Noirs

It was delicious. Not that many tannins from what I remember (YMMV).

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
MarkDaSpark wrote:mmmmmmmm .... Wellington Noir de Noirs

It was delicious. Not that many tannins from what I remember (YMMV).

Did you take notes? Was it just deep dark and delicious? I suppose knowing Peter's wine I shouldn't have thought it'd be overly tannic. Everything in balance. It's what seperates the men from the boys.

ddeuddeg wrote:
In case anyone might be interested, I finally got around to posting on the Field Notes pages.
Now back to the thread, which is in serious danger of being repeatedly hijacked already.

Yeah sorry, there's a song about me and mondays. I'll keep it to wine so long as people stop setting me up for corny one liners. I can't resist them, they're my crack. Or if the set up is there, I'll cross post my lamery to the pub ;)

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

nematic

quality posts: 6 Private Messages nematic
cheron98 wrote:Now, those are just the ones available on the website. Didn't I hear somewhere that there's actually a PS out there that's available only at the winery, that isn't listed on the website? I thought I heard that...

Edit: Oh yah, and there's also a port...

I dont think it will be the port - % alcohol labeling rules and all. Unfortunately for us, most of SB's wines fall under the cutoff for the .1% accuracy level, so we can't use that as a way to cheat and figure it out.

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 238 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
bhodilee wrote:Hey SB, check this article out. Not that I'd expect you to be planting these trees, but I know how much Diesel a tractor goes through. What kinda tractor do you use anyway?

Interesting article. It does sound as if you'd need an awful lot of these trees to produce significant quantities of fuel. If they grow well on non-crop land and don't need inputs like fertilizer or pesticides then there's a place for them.
My main tractor is a Kubota B2150 HST - small, but powerful enough to do everything I need. I was seriously considering conversion to biodiesel last year, but have backed off that idea for the time being. Everything comes at a cost, and although biodiesel is close to carbon neutral, there are impacts on food costs if food crops or food crop land are being diverted to produce it. We need to develop sources of ethanol and biodiesel that don't have a negative impact on food production and prices.
As an aside, the EPA was considering requiring CO2 "scrubbers" on large wine fermenters back in the 80's. An industry study convinced them it was impractical.

SonomaBouliste

kylemittskus wrote:Ah!!!

An enigma disguised as a clarification!!!

Damn you Wellington and your tricks! And damn us all for loving them so much.

I'm sure nobody who knows me at all actually expected I would be helpful.

ChrisRM

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ChrisRM

I bought 1 pack this morning. Question is, do I dare purchase another.

This was my 1st woot too!

bhodilee

SonomaBouliste wrote:Interesting article. It does sound as if you'd need an awful lot of these trees to produce significant quantities of fuel. If they grow well on non-crop land and don't need inputs like fertilizer or pesticides then there's a place for them.
My main tractor is a Kubota B2150 HST - small, but powerful enough to do everything I need. I was seriously considering conversion to biodiesel last year, but have backed off that idea for the time being. Everything comes at a cost, and although biodiesel is close to carbon neutral, there are impacts on food costs if food crops or food crop land are being diverted to produce it. We need to develop sources of ethanol and biodiesel that don't have a negative impact on food production and prices.
As an aside, the EPA was considering requiring CO2 "scrubbers" on large wine fermenters back in the 80's. An industry study convinced them it was impractical.

That's a good tractor, little orange workhorses if I remember right. I'm liking the idea of algae farms for biodiesel. There's enough converted gravel pits around here to produce one hell of a lot of algae. Some guy in Texas has them in these inch thick plates or something and keeps them in an airplane hanger. Fascinating what you can distill fuel from. There's someone else in Missouri that takes regular everyday trash and makes diesel.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

bhodilee

ChrisRM wrote:I bought 1 pack this morning. Question is, do I dare purchase another.

You'll have to gift it to another address, create a new i.d. or email service and see if they can up your order. Cant just click the button again, that's the nature of woot. Welcome to the fold though, excellent taste your parents had in names.

rbwoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rbwoot
SonomaBouliste wrote:Yes, eventually you'll know exactly what you got. If you're discerning, you'll know when you try it

Well thanks for killing my fun before I even get the bottles.

kylemittskus

ChrisRM wrote:I bought 1 pack this morning. Question is, do I dare purchase another.

In case you haven't been reading the other posts, give WineDavid your paychecks, credit cards, and soul. Good luck keeping your house and car.

In the words of the infamous Cheron: "Welcome to the dark side. We have wine."

SonomaBouliste

bhodilee wrote:That's a good tractor, little orange workhorses if I remember right. I'm liking the idea of algae farms for biodiesel. There's enough converted gravel pits around here to produce one hell of a lot of algae. Some guy in Texas has them in these inch thick plates or something and keeps them in an airplane hanger. Fascinating what you can distill fuel from. There's someone else in Missouri that takes regular everyday trash and makes diesel.

Now you're talking. If only we could figure out a practical way of capturing cow farts and belches.

kylemittskus

SonomaBouliste wrote:Now you're talking. If only we could figure out a practical way of capturing cow farts and belches.

Time to work again kind sir. Food and/or cheese pairings for these fine wines?

bhodilee

SonomaBouliste wrote:Now you're talking. If only we could figure out a practical way of capturing cow farts and belches.

That's gonna require some thought. methane is lighter than air right?

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
MarkDaSpark wrote:Even a stopped clock is right twice a day .....

Which is useless information, because you don't know when the clock is right.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney
bhodilee wrote:I'm liking the idea of algae farms for biodiesel. There's enough converted gravel pits around here to produce one hell of a lot of algae. Some guy in Texas has them in these inch thick plates or something and keeps them in an airplane hanger. Fascinating what you can distill fuel from. There's someone else in Missouri that takes regular everyday trash and makes diesel.

You mean like this: Vertigro. Looks very promising and great use of space

CT

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx
kylemittskus wrote:In case you haven't been reading the other posts, give WineDavid your paychecks, credit cards, and soul. Good luck keeping your house and car.

In the words of the infamous Cheron: "Welcome to the dark side. We have wine."

Well said. (see below)

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

bhodilee

bkarney wrote:You mean like this: Vertigro. Looks very promising and great use of space

Yes, that's exactly the one I was thinking of. Saw it on discovery channel or something. Can grow a lot of algae in a very small space this way and i think he said you can turn it over in a couple months or something.

I wonder how much biofuel we can squeeze from hand grown california avocados?

timbyrd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages timbyrd
MarkDaSpark wrote:They were sold out of the PS when we got there for the RPM tour. And yes, I picked up some Noir de Noirs, and both ports (White and NV).

Hmm? Isn't it the White port that is the NV? I think the Zin ports are 2003 or 2001.

-- T

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

conroo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages conroo

Oh ... the visual on that!

W:too many to count
WW:too many to count
SW:too many to count
SOW:too many to count

lauratchi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi
JOATMON wrote:There is also a pique-nique, but that's a rose.

I'm hoping for more of that tasty rose on Thursday. Otherwise, I'm gonna have to be ordering some....

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

jkwest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jkwest

First sucker: MaskedMarvel
Speed to first woot: 0m 8.110s

Last wooter to woot: jkwest

In for two...have always wanted to try some of the Wellington wines...

Wine only comes in one color...Red...

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05

In for 3!

Any chance we'll get these on the East Coast in time for the NoVa/DC #6 (23 Aug)? We could all bring our mystery bottles and submit them to a group vote.

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

brockb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brockb
LoonBoarder wrote:Email service@woot.com and plead your case...(edit: like I did )

So did you get yours in in time?

Woot Member Services wrote:
Unfortunately your order has been submitted to the winery to begin processing for shipment. The quantity for the order cannot be changed. We apologize for the inconvenience.

I know I could gift myself... but I'll take that as a sign that I should hold out for Thursday before dropping more dough. =)

SonomaBouliste

kylemittskus wrote:Time to work again kind sir. Food and/or cheese pairings for these fine wines?

I'm going to take the easy way out on this one. These wines are "true-to-type", so classic matches for these varietals would be a great starting place. They're all dry, with reasonably good acid levels and moderate oak, so they all do work well with food.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 212 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

spdrcr05 wrote:In for 3!

Any chance we'll get these on the East Coast in time for the NoVa/DC #6 (23 Aug)? We could all bring our mystery bottles and submit them to a group vote.

it'll be tight.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
Winedavid39 wrote:it'll be tight.

Oy. Mine would need to arrive by the 21st since I'm hitting the road approx 5 am on the 22nd. Maybe 6.... I know there's no chance I'll have it here for the Detroit gathering this Saturday (shameless plug, see link in sig).

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

2ndIdentity

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 2ndIdentity

Have you seen the fart backpack?

http://www.physorg.com/news135003243.html

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
SonomaBouliste wrote:Those are only the ones listed on our website

Case in point: the 2004 Sonoma County Cab isn't on your web site yet. Are we the launch customer?

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

and now, on to the promised tasting notes for the 2003 Wellington merlot. Poured into a decanter to remove sediment, then served in a Reidel merlot glass. Has been aerating for about 15 minutes now. I'd tell you the temp of it but the cat is sleeping on my foot and disallowing me from getting my thermometer.

Color: deep, deep garnet. The wine is clear but you really can't see through it. Clears out about 1/8" from the edge at a pale pink color.

Nose: super saturated plum, cassis, leather, slight hint of oak, and a little bit of freshly-made semolina pasta. Or maybe it's kind of an aromatic basmati rice... Concentrating on that ricey scent (since it's kind of different) it reminds me of a dish I made of sauteed red and yellow bell peppers, onions, and celery mixed in with basmati. Smells exactly like that. But mixed with plum, cassis, leather and oak. Maybe I'm just weird.

Taste: black pepper, plum, black cherries. vanilla and oak on the mid-palate. Just a touch of tannins, definitely not overpowering by any means. And just a touch of heat from the 14.8% ABV.

Finish: Oh man, there's that bell pepper and onion again... maybe I just have a craving for it, but this sure is reminding me of that dish. Just little hints of it. The oak comes back for a second kick on the finish. Lasts for about 30 seconds with potency, fades away completely after about 45.

Texture: smoooooth. This is one well-balanced wine.

I'm having some leftover chicken and mac n cheese for dinner tonight, haven't hit that, so let's do that now, even though it's not a "traditional" pairing for a merlot.

Ok that really brings out the plum and black pepper. The ricey thing is totally gone after having this. Smooths out the tannins completely... they were mild before, gone now.

This is some delicious juice, and I'm sure Peter sticks true with the 04 vintage. Super glad I'm in for 3, especially since this is my last merlot of his

If I had to put a number to it, I'd say it's at least an 89, possibly higher. Enjoy!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

MarkDaSpark

timbyrd wrote:Hmm? Isn't it the White port that is the NV? I think the Zin ports are 2003 or 2001.

-- T

I meant it was white and NV. The Zin port was the 2003.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

JOATMON wrote:Which is useless information, because you don't know when the clock is right.

Which is why it was perfect for Bowtie ....

SonomaBouliste

JOATMON wrote:Case in point: the 2004 Sonoma County Cab isn't on your web site yet. Are we the launch customer?

more or less.

pickles1128

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pickles1128
ArcheDiver wrote:Now I'm kicking myself. Wife and I did mini-prehoneymoon honeymoon last week and drove up to Sonoma for two days. Came home with three cases of wine, 1/2 a case of which was from the Wellington tasting room. If only I could see into WD's head and know what was coming just 6 days later. Although... I did taste everything they were offering, would that be considered inside advantage in IDing the mystery bottle? Might have to suck up the financed and go in for one after all.

One can never have too much Wellington in your cellar...

kylemittskus

pickles1128 wrote:One can never have too much Wellington in your cellar...

"One" is third person; "your" is second person.
Your point is still understood though.

pickles1128

MarkDaSpark wrote:They were sold out of the PS when we got there for the RPM tour. And yes, I picked up some Noir de Noirs, and both ports (White and NV).

Isn't the white port awesome! I have a bottle or two of that myself...

SonomaBouliste

kylemittskus wrote:"One" is third person; "your" is second person.

That is precisely why I never got close to 800 (or equivalent) on SAT/GRE/etc. Laxity and inattention to grammatical detail. My teachers always qualified every nice thing they said with "but according to your potential..."

edit: just fixed 2 typos, as if I needed to remind myself of my shortcomings.

duck833

quality posts: 0 Private Messages duck833

In for two, some room filled up in the cellar (increased summer consumption) and this looks like good tailgate wine.

good food, good wine, bad girl = great evening

pickles1128

kylemittskus wrote:"One" is third person; "your" is second person.

I meant his cellar...mine has quite a bit of Wellington...and three more sets on the way...