+ Add a Comment

damightyanteater

quality posts: 12 Private Messages damightyanteater
bhodilee wrote:yah, was a reefer joke ;) Does suck though cause I'm in Omaha and don't get my wine trucked east first. Wouldn't think it'd be that much harder to get it to Chicago. then I'm not privvy to the wonderous world of shipping

I thought good reefer was from cali, thats why I didn't get your joke. I'm probably wrong though.

My last 5 woots:
  • Robert Craig Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon x2
  • Woot Cellars Boss Monster Zinfandel Six - Pack
  • Armida Winery Poizin Trio
  • Olivestri Siloro olio nuovo
  • Wellington Vineyard Designate Cabernet Trio

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
timbyrd wrote: this is my experience from playing gypsy at a ren faire and being part of the after hours drinking with a group of 20-something girls.

Tim is now and forever my hero

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

damightyanteater wrote:I thought good reefer was from cali, thats why I didn't get your joke. I'm probably wrong though.

You must not have read the article floating around about washington weed in the vineyards. S'okay, I just read the other day about Mexican cartels growing weed in our national forests, so that's great.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 182 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
timbyrd wrote:Have I mentioned that I've been cursing WD for doing this to me?

-- T

Plus there may be more on Thursday! Which is why I only ordered two sets, so I'd have enough for more then!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

damightyanteater

quality posts: 12 Private Messages damightyanteater
bhodilee wrote:You must not have read the article floating around about washington weed in the vineyards. S'okay, I just read the other day about Mexican cartels growing weed in our national forests, so that's great.

Yeah, I read about the national forest thing too last week. Pretty freaking crazy.

It would be funny as hell if WD put up this short convo we just had on the quick links section of the I just sneezed all over myself. of this thread. llo

My last 5 woots:
  • Robert Craig Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon x2
  • Woot Cellars Boss Monster Zinfandel Six - Pack
  • Armida Winery Poizin Trio
  • Olivestri Siloro olio nuovo
  • Wellington Vineyard Designate Cabernet Trio

bhodilee

damightyanteater wrote:Yeah, I read about the national forest thing too last week. Pretty freaking crazy.

It would be funny as hell if WD put up this short convo we just had on the quick links section of the I just sneezed all over myself. of this thread. llo

definite quality posts if I do say so myself, definite.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
bhodilee wrote:I would imagine they read some of my other posts and think, huh, the occasional lucid moment in an otherwise perfectly corrupt brain.

If it were anyone else, I'd call "perfectly corrupt" an oxymoron, but you have me convinced.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

bhodilee

ddeuddeg wrote:oxymoron

me in my teenage years

ddeuddeg

MarkDaSpark wrote:Plus there may be more on Thursday! Which is why I only ordered two sets, so I'd have enough for more then!

Sparky done gone conservative?! My Lord, what's next?

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

Our story so far:

There will be one mystery bottle per three-pack.
The mystery bottle will contain a red wine.
The mystery bottle will be a varietal wine
The mystery wine will be one of the standard Wellington offerings, but not necessarily one of the wines in the Woot offering.
The mystery bottle will have the “Duke” label on it, because the Feds require some sort of label (my suspicion is that Peter had a lot of Duke labels lying around, and by using the Duke labels, he avoids any legal issues with varietal labeling).
The mystery bottle will have a small colored dot on the upper left corner of the back label.
There will be at least three different color dots, and possibly more. Peter has specifically refused to answer any questions about how many different color dots will be available.
Each three-pack in a single Woot purchase will come with a mystery bottle with a different color dot. Thus, there must be at least three different color dots available.
It is possible that mystery bottles with different color dots may contain the same wine (this is my own supposition).

Forum Post
Blog post
Offering Post on Forum

Wellington red wines:
2006 Noir de Noirs, Old Vines
2003 Cabernet Sauvignon, Sonoma County
2003 Cabernet Sauvignon, Handal-Denier Vineyard, Dry Creek Valley
2003 Cabernet Sauvignon, Karren Vineyard, Sonoma Mountain
2004 Cabernet Sauvignon: Mohrhardt Ridge
2005 Grenache Sonoma Valley Estate
2004 Merlot, Sonoma Valley Estate Bottled
2002 Syrah, Sonoma Valley Reserve
2004 Syrah, Sonoma Valley Estate
2004 Syrah, England Crest, Sonoma Valley
2004 Zinfandel, Sonoma Valley
2004 Zinfandel, Estate 100 Year Old Vines
2005 Zinfandel, Meeks Hilltop Ranch, Sonoma Valley

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

bhodilee

JOATMON wrote:Our story so far:

The mystery wine will be one of the standard Wellington offerings, but not necessarily one of the wines in the Woot offering.
The mystery bottle will have the “Duke” label on it, because the Feds require some sort of label (my suspicion is that Peter had a lot of Duke labels lying around, and by using the Duke labels, he avoids any legal issues with varietal labeling).
The mystery bottle will have a small colored dot on the upper left corner of the back label.
There will be at least three different color dots, and possibly more. Peter has specifically refused to answer any questions about how many different color dots will be available.
Each three-pack in a single Woot purchase will come with a mystery bottle with a different color dot. Thus, there must be at least three different color dots available.
It is possible that mystery bottles with different color dots may contain the same wine (this is my own supposition).

Forum Post
Blog post
Offering Post on Forum

Wellington red wines:

Oh my god I hope I get the Noir de Noirs, I have wanted to try that SO badly

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
JOATMON wrote:<snip list of wellington wines>

Now, those are just the ones available on the website. Didn't I hear somewhere that there's actually a PS out there that's available only at the winery, that isn't listed on the website? I thought I heard that...

Edit: Oh yah, and there's also a port...

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

JOATMON

cheron98 wrote:Now, those are just the ones available on the website. Didn't I hear somewhere that there's actually a PS out there that's available only at the winery, that isn't listed on the website? I thought I heard that...

There is also a pique-nique, but that's a rose.

(as of 2011-03-02)

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

I emailed service in hopes to increase my order to 2. For the love of my credit card and my cellar, start offering wines that I don't want. Please!!!!

The announcement doesn't specifically state whether or not we will be told officially what varietal each dot denotes. Will we ever find out which dot is which?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

dnasquesttoblack3000

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dnasquesttoblack3000
kylemittskus wrote:I emailed service in hopes to increase my order to 2. For the love of my credit card and my cellar, start offering wines that I don't want. Please!!!!

The announcement doesn't specifically state whether or not we will be told officially what varietal each dot denotes. Will we ever find out which dot is which?

we could have everyone also email someone who could then compile the results and histogram them - like how many 'pinot noirs' how many 'zins' etc. probably in the limit of large enough numbers we'd get it right. and in emailing someone, it would be blind.

except i guess it would be biased toward those who were proactive enough to email. and maybe proactive people have systematically different palates than non proactive people. who knows. thats just the scientist in me, which is usually wrong.

the quest:

1. humbug 2. GV's book 3. Wellington 3+mystery (X2) 4. woot norse thingy with funny bottle (X2) 5. va made me buy gundlach, 6. your mumm 7. willy nilly pinots 8. emergency woot wine 9. fake gunbun, 10. ty field 11. tryasipo'dis

JOATMON

kylemittskus wrote:I emailed service in hopes to increase my order to 2. For the love of my credit card and my cellar, start offering wines that I don't want. Please!!!!

If the announcement of the correct entries doesn't tell, we'll have to tackle the winners and get them to divulge the info.

(as of 2011-03-02)

dnasquesttoblack3000

JOATMON wrote:If the announcement of the correct entries doesn't tell, we'll have to tackle the winners and get them to divulge the info.

yeah...your method sounds more fun than mine

the quest:

1. humbug 2. GV's book 3. Wellington 3+mystery (X2) 4. woot norse thingy with funny bottle (X2) 5. va made me buy gundlach, 6. your mumm 7. willy nilly pinots 8. emergency woot wine 9. fake gunbun, 10. ty field 11. tryasipo'dis

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney
dnasquesttoblack3000 wrote:we could have everyone also email someone who could then compile the results and histogram them - like how many 'pinot noirs' how many 'zins' etc. probably in the limit of large enough numbers we'd get it right. and in emailing someone, it would be blind.

except i guess it would be biased toward those who were proactive enough to email. and maybe proactive people have systematically different palates than non proactive people. who knows. thats just the scientist in me, which is usually wrong.

Sounds like a good hypothesis. Now pursuant to the scientifice model, we need to start our "tests"! Curious tho, the variable is if the individual does e-mail, thereby making the control group.... those that don't!?

CT

bhodilee

bkarney wrote:Sounds like a good hypothesis. Now pursuant to the scientifice model, we need to start our "tests"! Curious tho, the variable is if the individual does e-mail, thereby making the control group.... those that don't!?

Everyone send me one of their bottles of mystery wine and I'll act as the control group. It's really the only fair way to do this.

bkarney

bhodilee wrote:Everyone send me one of their bottles of mystery wine and I'll act as the control group. It's really the only fair way to do this.

Dang dood, you are on a roll today. That was the SECOND time you've made coke come out of my nose......TODAY!

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
dnasquesttoblack3000 wrote:we could have everyone also email someone who could then compile the results and histogram them

We could do a thread for people to post their colors and thoughts. Or at least, just their colors.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

MarkDaSpark

ddeuddeg wrote:Sparky done gone conservative?! My Lord, what's next?

Limited storage space has done did me in .... even with a storage locker .....

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

cheron98 wrote:Now, those are just the ones available on the website. Didn't I hear somewhere that there's actually a PS out there that's available only at the winery, that isn't listed on the website? I thought I heard that...

They were sold out of the PS when we got there for the RPM tour. And yes, I picked up some Noir de Noirs, and both ports (White and NV).

bhodilee

bkarney wrote:Dang dood, you are on a roll today. That was the SECOND time you've made coke come out of my nose......TODAY!

How much coke?

MarkDaSpark

bhodilee wrote:I would imagine they read some of my other posts and think, huh, the occasional lucid moment in an otherwise perfectly corrupt brain.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day .....

bhodilee

MarkDaSpark wrote:They were sold out of the PS when we got there for the RPM tour. And yes, I picked up some Noir de Noirs, and both ports (White and NV).

Spill on the Noirs Sparky. How was it? What's it like? Can you literally drink it with a fork? Is it massively tannic? Is it as delicious as I hope?

bhodilee

MarkDaSpark wrote:Even a stopped clock is right twice a day .....

What about daylight savings time?

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
bhodilee wrote:What about daylight savings time?

Well, unless it's stopped between 2:00 and 2:59, then it's still always right 2x a day. If it's stopped between 2:00 and 2:59, then on the day we spring forward, it will only be right once, as you lose the 2:00 hour on that day and go straight from 1:59 to 3:00.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 234 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
chad1323ross wrote:Oh, heck yea. Had to jump on this one! Mystery Wine! How exciting!

Peter - are you going to be around / open tomorrow? I'll be stopping by for a visit.

Cheers

I should be around most of the day.

If you have a rough idea of timing, let me know (here or by PM).

bkarney

bhodilee wrote:How much coke?

enough to burn like hell, and get all over the contract I'm reviewing.

CT

dnasquesttoblack3000

thanks to the kind wootlegging of loon and the relatively small size of new england states , i'm back in the game! the quest to black is back on! 2 orders on their way!

Wellington Three-Pack Plus Mystery Wine Challenge
Current numbers (updated each minute):
First sucker: MaskedMarvel
Speed to first woot: 0m 8.110s

Last wooter to woot: dnasquesttoblack3000

the quest:

bhodilee

bkarney wrote:enough to burn like hell, and get all over the contract I'm reviewing.

So we're talking like a street value of 4-500 bucks?

dnasquesttoblack3000

thanks to the kind wootlegging of loon and the relatively small size of new england states , i'm back in the game! the quest to black is back on! 2 orders on their way!

the quest:

bhodilee

dnasquesttoblack3000 wrote:thanks to the kind wootlegging of loon and the relatively small size of new england states , i'm back in the game! the quest to black is back on! 2 orders on their way!

What a way to resume the quest!

bkarney

bhodilee wrote:So we're talking like a street value of 4-500 bucks?

Oh wow, now we're really getting into some highlightable (is that a word!?) posts. But in that regard, i think that would be enough to kill an elephant, or Chris Farley (sorry, had to say it RIP - hell of a funny guy!).

CT

SonomaBouliste

JOATMON wrote:Our story so far:

Forum Post
Blog post
Offering Post on Forum

Wellington red wines:

Those are only the ones listed on our website

bhodilee

Hey SB, check this article out. Not that I'd expect you to be planting these trees, but I know how much Diesel a tractor goes through. What kinda tractor do you use anyway?

SonomaBouliste

Yes, eventually you'll know exactly what you got. If you're discerning, you'll know when you try it

darlenee1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages darlenee1
SonomaBouliste wrote:Those are only the ones listed on our website

Cheeky monkey! You clearly want to make us crazy with these mystery bottles

Ran out of room for the wines, and can't think of a good quote for now

ddeuddeg

In case anyone might be interested, I finally got around to posting on the Field Notes pages.
Now back to the thread, which is in serious danger of being repeatedly hijacked already.