darlenee1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages darlenee1

In for one. Poor, but after all the build up about Wellington wines, and the hinting on last week's thread, how can I not? Just have to hide the fact from my husband.....

Ran out of room for the wines, and can't think of a good quote for now

SonomaBouliste


quality posts: 234 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
damightyanteater wrote:Hate to take the focus off the mystery wines, but I gotta a question for PW.

What is the cellar life of these individual wines?

Also, how are these vintages different than your previous offerings of the same varietals?



Gonna make me work, eh? None of these are huge tannic wines that demand aging. The Cab has 5 years left on it, and though "improvement" is subjective, stands to gain the most with another year or two in bottle. I would drink the Merlot and the Zin within the next 2-3 years.
Very briefly: I would say the Cab is more "elegant", good intensity of blackberry/cassis fruit, slightly more tart, not quite as heavy in body. Of the three wines, the Merlot is probably the most similar to the previous vintage. The Zin is bigger and a tad riper than the 2003, and has a bit more "concentration" or intensity of fruit.

bigriller


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigriller

For the first time, i bought three of something on woot... plus the shirt.woot from today... thanks for all the great posts, very informative

ohdeloh!

SonomaBouliste


quality posts: 234 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
MaskedMarvel wrote:A few questions come up with this -

How many different dots are there?
Are the dots regular offers from Wellington, or new "trial" vines?
Labratting for dots?
If there are more than three different dots, does gifting allow you to get them all, or could they double up?
Will there be new mystery wines come the Thursday (supposed Wellington) offering?

Time to cash in those birthday coupons! WOOT!



The only part I'm allowed to answer is about the source of the mystery wines. After discussing and considering many possibilities, we decided not to include any experimental bottlings. They are all part of our already large stable of listed offerings.

SonomaBouliste


quality posts: 234 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
HitAnyKey42 wrote:The picture states it's the 2004 Merlot Estate Bottled, but the description doesn't state that. Which is it? If it's the Estate Bottled, then Corrado did the CT link to the wrong one and he needs to fix it.



We only bottle one Merlot, and it is 100% estate fruit.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
SonomaBouliste wrote:As stated in the blog, you will receive a different mystery wine with each set you order.

Yay, I made it to a thousand posts. I'm going to bed; g'night all.



Party hat time!!!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

dukeusul


quality posts: 1 Private Messages dukeusul

Can't pass up Peter's wines. In for two.

Wellington Three-Pack Plus Mystery Wine Challenge
Current numbers (updated each minute):

First sucker: MaskedMarvel
Speed to first woot: 0m 8.110s

Last wooter to woot: dukeusul

Bacon salt turned my box black.

dukeusul


quality posts: 1 Private Messages dukeusul
nmsoonergirl wrote:Wow, so if this means two Wellington offers this week I might as well just sign my paycheck directly over to WD....



Oh snap, I went in for two without thinking I might want to save some coin for Thursday. Sigh. Oh well. I guess I might as well just sign over my first-born child to the Wellington family.

Bacon salt turned my box black.

SonomaBouliste


quality posts: 234 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
damightyanteater wrote:Hey PW

I told a local wine store here called "Just Grapes" about you and they said they would try to contact you and maybe carry your stuff. They get decent patronage if you are wondering. Did they get a hold of you and if so, are they going to start carrying your wine?




What state?

SonomaBouliste


quality posts: 234 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
dukeusul wrote:Oh snap, I went in for two without thinking I might want to save some coin for Thursday. Sigh. Oh well. I guess I might as well just sign over my first-born child to the Wellington family.



That's a big no. We've got just as many as we want (2), and as much as we love them, we do dream about the two of us traveling alone to exotic places before we're too old.

damightyanteater


quality posts: 12 Private Messages damightyanteater
SonomaBouliste wrote:What state?



Illinois - They are located in Chicago proper (not some burb).

    My last 5 woots:
  • Robert Craig Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon x2
  • Woot Cellars Boss Monster Zinfandel Six - Pack
  • Armida Winery Poizin Trio
  • Olivestri Siloro olio nuovo
  • Wellington Vineyard Designate Cabernet Trio

daddybush


quality posts: 0 Private Messages daddybush

this is a no brainer...in for one. probably should be in for two but my cc bills are atrocious because of wine.woot.com

on a side note, had the 2000 Corison Cab last night and it was amazing. thanks WD.




damightyanteater


quality posts: 12 Private Messages damightyanteater
SonomaBouliste wrote:Gonna make me work, eh? None of these are huge tannic wines that demand aging. The Cab has 5 years left on it, and though "improvement" is subjective, stands to gain the most with another year or two in bottle. I would drink the Merlot and the Zin within the next 2-3 years.
Very briefly: I would say the Cab is more "elegant", good intensity of blackberry/cassis fruit, slightly more tart, not quite as heavy in body. Of the three wines, the Merlot is probably the most similar to the previous vintage. The Zin is bigger and a tad riper than the 2003, and has a bit more "concentration" or intensity of fruit.



Yeah, based on that I don't see any of these bottles lasting more than month or 2. Can't wait to get them in! Damn reefer truck is probably going to make me wait at least 3 weeks again.

    My last 5 woots:
  • Robert Craig Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon x2
  • Woot Cellars Boss Monster Zinfandel Six - Pack
  • Armida Winery Poizin Trio
  • Olivestri Siloro olio nuovo
  • Wellington Vineyard Designate Cabernet Trio

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
damightyanteater wrote:Yeah, based on that I don't see any of these bottles lasting more than month or 2. Can't wait to get them in! Damn reefer truck is probably going to make me wait at least 3 weeks again.



Dood! The truck comes outta cali, not washington

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

brockb


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brockb

Part of me wants to triple up my single order, but the other part tells me to wait because the Mrs. loved Wellington's Sauvignon Blanc and I'd probably be in trouble if there were Wellington whites on Thursday and I didn't leave room for 'em.

So just in case I feel like getting myself into trouble... who do I contact or how do I go about upping my already submitted order?

LoonBoarder


quality posts: 7 Private Messages LoonBoarder

In for 2 (I hope - pushed the "I want one" button accidentally and had to email service afterward..). NH is on the eligible shipping list this time!

Dude... wait, what?

LoonBoarder


quality posts: 7 Private Messages LoonBoarder
brockb wrote:Part of me wants to triple up my single order, but the other part tells me to wait because the Mrs. loved Wellington's Sauvignon Blanc and I'd probably be in trouble if there were Wellington whites on Thursday and I didn't leave room for 'em.

So just in case I feel like getting myself into trouble... who do I contact or how do I go about upping my already submitted order?



Email service@woot.com and plead your case...(edit: like I did )

Dude... wait, what?

dukeusul


quality posts: 1 Private Messages dukeusul
SonomaBouliste wrote:That's a big no. We've got just as many as we want (2), and as much as we love them, we do dream about the two of us traveling alone to exotic places before we're too old.



No? She's really cute. A three-month old wouldn't tie you down to much. And really my wife wouldn't mind too much, she loves your wines too.

;-)

Bacon salt turned my box black.

WineWootaholic


quality posts: 1 Private Messages WineWootaholic

Peter,
on your Zin, it says 96% Zinfandel, 4% Petite Sirah 50% Hilltop, 33% Shumahi, 16% Estate, 1% Zagari,

Is the Hilltop, Shumahi, and Zagari, different vineyards for the 4% PS?

wwa

A man not old, but mellow, like good wine,
Stephen Phillips (1845-1915)

"I love cooking with wine, Sometimes I even put it in the food."

33 wine.woot's, 9 woot-off wines

hardground


quality posts: 2 Private Messages hardground

Hurray, an experiment. You've made us Labrats, and now guinea pigs.

In for 3.

Why is there so much wine left at the end of my money?

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
bhodilee wrote:No one can say, as I'm sure you've read ad nausem by now. I will say this though, if you're new to wine, these will be very representative of the grapes used. SB believes in letting the grapes speak and creating balanced wines. What this means to you is they're not going to be fruit bombs, not over oaked, not overly hot. Because they're well balanced, these wines will give your developing pallete a feel for the actual grapes. What they really taste like. Then, as you buy other brands of the same varietals you'll be able to explore the different things winemakers do to make the grapes speak a certain way. So, while I cannot say you'll like these, I can say you will learn from them. And that's even better.



I know I accused you of being sensible some time this past weekend, and you offered some feeble protest, but how could anyone read this post, and think of you as anything but sensible. Everyone who has tasted Peter's wines knows your characterization is spot on, as is the advice about developing a palate to discover what you like.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
LoonBoarder wrote:Email service@woot.com and plead your case...(edit: like I did )



If that doesn't work, you can also gift a set (or three) to some trusted friend or alias, just make sure it is going to a "different" address.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
ddeuddeg wrote:I know I accused you of being sensible some time this past weekend, and you offered some feeble protest, but how could anyone read this post, and think of you as anything but sensible. Everyone who has tasted Peter's wines knows your characterization is spot on, as is the advice about developing a palate to discover what you like.



I would imagine they read some of my other posts and think, huh, the occasional lucid moment in an otherwise perfectly corrupt brain.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

reedmo


quality posts: 2 Private Messages reedmo

Thanks for all the great advice from all of you that has replied back!

I always get confused about if Indiana can receive wine from here... I remember reading somewhere that IN can get the wine, but it will take longer? But when I look on the listing on the main page of what states they can send to, IN isn't listed... Can someone fill me in on this?

Trcseb


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Trcseb

What a great idea Way to go W.W.

brockb


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brockb
LoonBoarder wrote:Email service@woot.com and plead your case...(edit: like I did )



Thanks! I just tried that... let's see how it goes.

I just doubled the order. I figured if worse comes to worse... I could always get the Mrs. a double order on Thursday and we could call it even. =)

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
reedmo wrote:Thanks for all the great advice from all of you that has replied back!

I always get confused about if Indiana can receive wine from here... I remember reading somewhere that IN can get the wine, but it will take longer? But when I look on the listing on the main page of what states they can send to, IN isn't listed... Can someone fill me in on this?



Unfortunately, if your state isn't on the list of approved ship-to states, then the offering is not available to you. However, you can do what many others do, and find a "wootlegger"... someone in a nearby, approved state, who will happily accept delivery on your behalf, and then the two of you arrange a pickup together somewhere.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

SonomaBouliste


quality posts: 234 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
WineWootaholic wrote:Peter,
on your Zin, it says 96% Zinfandel, 4% Petite Sirah 50% Hilltop, 33% Shumahi, 16% Estate, 1% Zagari,

Is the Hilltop, Shumahi, and Zagari, different vineyards for the 4% PS?

wwa



The PS is part of the estate portion. The other vineyards are 100% Zin.

santhony66


quality posts: 0 Private Messages santhony66

Last wooter to woot: santhony66

x3
What a freakin great idea.

My wines on CellarTracker

My Wine.Woot tasting notes on CellarTracker

chad1323ross


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chad1323ross

Oh, heck yea. Had to jump on this one! Mystery Wine! How exciting!

Peter - are you going to be around / open tomorrow? I'll be stopping by for a visit.

Cheers

222 bottles and counting.

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Is the Mystery Wine going to be part of the Labrats? Or are the labrats only going to get the other three? And if the mystery wine is part of it, is there going to rats for each of the mystery wines? If so, there's going to be a lot of rats this week (not that I'm complaining ).

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

damightyanteater


quality posts: 12 Private Messages damightyanteater
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Is the Mystery Wine going to be part of the Labrats? Or are the labrats only going to get the other three? And if the mystery wine is part of it, is there going to rats for each of the mystery wines? If so, there's going to be a lot of rats this week (not that I'm complaining ).



Im fairly certain the labrats wont get "the Duke" cause how can they reoport back here on what they thought of it if they don't know what it is for certain. The mystery wine may be one of the wines offered, but the bottle the labrats get will definitly be readily apparent as to what it is.

    My last 5 woots:
  • Robert Craig Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon x2
  • Woot Cellars Boss Monster Zinfandel Six - Pack
  • Armida Winery Poizin Trio
  • Olivestri Siloro olio nuovo
  • Wellington Vineyard Designate Cabernet Trio

smartheart


quality posts: 94 Private Messages smartheart
woopdedoo wrote:"The mystery bottle will be labeled “The Duke”, because legally it has to have some kind of label on it. But this special version of "The Duke" will contain a specific mystery varietal. Which one? That's for us to know and you to find out. "



Go DUKE!



Go DUKE indeed !! Anything with any kind of reference to a "Duke" on it has gotta be special ! Now if only we could get Peter to put a Blue Devil on "The Duke" bottle labels.

(And congrats to Duke senior golfer Amanda Blumenhurst for winning the US Women's Amateur this wknd and Duke freshman Becca Ward for taking the bronze medal in the Olympic Saber competition.)


"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

dnasquesttoblack3000


quality posts: 2 Private Messages dnasquesttoblack3000

WD - why do you kill me out here in Massachusetts with a wellington offer?!!!

i had a dream about you wD last night. really. not that i know what you look like - so you were sort of just a faceless person. but somehow you were here in boston at some wine show, and you were telling me for this week and this week only you'd have an offering for Ma. and it was gonna be all belgian beers!

i woke up awful dissapointed to find not only a wine not for us, but my absolute favorite woot vineyard to date

the quest:

1. humbug 2. GV's book 3. Wellington 3+mystery (X2) 4. woot norse thingy with funny bottle (X2) 5. va made me buy gundlach, 6. your mumm 7. willy nilly pinots 8. emergency woot wine 9. fake gunbun, 10. ty field 11. tryasipo'dis

damightyanteater


quality posts: 12 Private Messages damightyanteater
bhodilee wrote:Dood! The truck comes outta cali, not washington



Im in chicago and the last woot I bought was the Corison. Took over 3 weeks to get here. Summer shipping and all.

    My last 5 woots:
  • Robert Craig Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon x2
  • Woot Cellars Boss Monster Zinfandel Six - Pack
  • Armida Winery Poizin Trio
  • Olivestri Siloro olio nuovo
  • Wellington Vineyard Designate Cabernet Trio

JOATMON


quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

Our story so far:

There will be one mystery bottle per three-pack.
The mystery bottle will contain a red wine.
The mystery bottle will be a varietal wine
The mystery wine will be one of the standard Wellington offerings, but not necessarily one of the wines in the Woot offering.
The mystery bottle will have the “Duke” label on it, because the Feds require some sort of label (my suspicion is that Peter had a lot of Duke labels lying around, and by using the Duke labels, he avoids any legal issues with varietal labeling).
The mystery bottle will have a small colored dot on the upper left corner of the back label.
There will be at least three different color dots, and possibly more. Peter has specifically refused to answer any questions about how many different color dots will be available.
Each three-pack in a single Woot purchase will come with a mystery bottle with a different color dot. Thus, there must be at least three different color dots available.
It is possible that mystery bottles with different color dots may contain the same wine (this is my own supposition).

Have I missed anything?

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
dnasquesttoblack3000 wrote:WD - why do you kill me out here in Massachusetts with a wellington offer?!!!

i had a dream about you wD last night. really. not that i know what you look like - so you were sort of just a faceless person. but somehow you were here in boston at some wine show, and you were telling me for this week and this week only you'd have an offering for Ma. and it was gonna be all belgian beers!



Here. Now he'll no longer be faceless in your dreams.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

timbyrd


quality posts: 2 Private Messages timbyrd
reedmo wrote:I am new to the whole Wine experience being that I'm 21 now... I have tried Chardonnay and wasn't too thrilled with it. Does red wine have that same taste?


What was it about the Chardonnay that you didn't like? Was it too bitter or sour and alcoholic? Too sweet?


reedmo wrote:So would you say I would like this set of wine?



Forgive me for practicing age discrimination, but this is my experience from playing gypsy at a ren faire and being part of the after hours drinking with a group of 20-something girls. In that group, almost everyone had a palate that was conditioned by soda pop and by the US corporate urge to put more sugar (or more salt) into everything to "improve" the flavor. There was a marked preference for sweet drinks like Irish cream, and very sweet wines like the Kedem Concord Cream.

So what kinds of flavors do you like?

If the 62 dollars isn't a big deal to you, then go I'd say go for it. But remember that Peter Wellington tends to make his wines to go with food, to be part of the meal, rather than just to be drunk for the buzz. So if you are going to try these, then make a production it and have a bottle with a meal. (If you lack time to cook, get a pizza or takeout pasta, and sip the wine as you eat.)

And here is a neat guide to wine tasting.

If the $62 is a big deal, then see if you have any friends who are into wine but who aren't obnoxious. They can be a great help. Or check out local wine shops / wine bars to see if they have tastings.

-- T

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
damightyanteater wrote:Im in chicago and the last woot I bought was the Corison. Took over 3 weeks to get here. Summer shipping and all.



yah, was a reefer joke ;) Does suck though cause I'm in Omaha and don't get my wine trucked east first. Wouldn't think it'd be that much harder to get it to Chicago. then I'm not privvy to the wonderous world of shipping

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

timbyrd


quality posts: 2 Private Messages timbyrd
MarkDaSpark wrote:Wellington Three-Pack Plus Mystery Wine Challenge
Current numbers (updated each minute):
First sucker: MaskedMarvel
Speed to first woot: 0m 8.110s

Last wooter to woot: timbyrd


Tim, didn't the 4 additional cases you bought from Wellington on the way back from the RPM Tour fill up your quota for Wellington wines?


Have I mentioned that I've been cursing WD for doing this to me?

-- T

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar