MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
LoonBoarder wrote:Impecunious. Had to look that one up. Impetuous, maybe
(mini-part-hat? post #100!)

Because it's you .....

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

Since we were talking about biofuel yesterday, E.Coli to save the world?

Dont' tell sml, he wont' buy it anyway.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

darisgin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darisgin

I am lakeside at a cabin in the woods. Oil lamps. Outhouse.

My first contact with the "outside" in nearly a week was a conference call this morning. I did not even have a copy of the presentation we were discussing. But I had my trusty, low-batterying BlackBerry.

What else do I have now?

You already know. Yes you do.

A w00t order in the queue.

Dram you, w00t! Dram you straight to heck!

Oh, and weirdly enough, we are having Welly Syrah with weiners for dinner. And s'mores.

Stuart Cellars Temecula Trio; Woot Cellars Polyphemus Magnum; Woot Cellars Humbug; Wellington Vineyards Reserve Duo, three pack, three pack + mystery; Peltier Station Lodi Petite Sirah; Ty Caton Three-Pack Sampler; Dry Creek Two-Pack Reds

timbyrd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages timbyrd
LBISurfer2 wrote:Thanks a lot, so far it's the best job I've ever had, I get free housing and a truck to drive on the company and I get paid to hike 8 miles through the desert/mountains every day, 10 days on and 4 days off. You know what would make it even better though? Some Wellingtons.

Does it rain much there?

-- T

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

pfcouvar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages pfcouvar
andyduncan wrote:My Thermo Hawk infrafred thermometer begs to differ. (actually, that's all it can do, since it's f-ing useless at reading temperatures)

This may be a dumb question, but how do you know? I just naively believe mine...

Ironically, the only consistent purpose to which I've put it is to measure the temperature of my woot wines as they arrive in the summer.

duckduckgoose

quality posts: 3 Private Messages duckduckgoose

I'm soooooo happy.....just received the Golden Ticket.

Wellington Merlot 2004

I'll try to get a review up when I get home in a few hours.

Thanks WD!!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
ddeuddeg wrote: EDIT: I suppose that one might argue that different bottles does not necessarily mean different contents. Most of us would reject that argument as totally spurious.

I don't disagree with you (although Woot has been known to play tricks along the same lines.) I just felt challenged to defend my perspicacious reading skills.

By the way: what does the acronym YMMV stand for?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

thrawn1020

quality posts: 23 Private Messages thrawn1020
kylemittskus wrote:I don't disagree with you (although Woot has been known to play tricks along the same lines.) I just felt challenged to defend my perspicacious reading skills.

I believe that one is Your Mileage May Vary.

Not too many to count, but dang. This place has a way of building a cellar for you.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
ddeuddeg wrote:As it says in the posts, the Mystery wine is a Wellington, from the current Wellington offerings.

And wasn't the wannabe mostly Sangiovese? I don't recall ever seeing that from Wellington.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 32 Private Messages ddeuddeg
thrawn1020 wrote:I believe that one is Your Mileage May Vary.

Indeed. Here is a handy resource for answering those questions.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

tkastorff

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tkastorff
kylemittskus wrote:I don't disagree with you (although Woot has been known to play tricks along the same lines.) I just felt challenged to defend my perspicacious reading skills.

in the time it took you to ask, you could have right click, highlighted, and googled

"Your Mileage May Vary"

w.w bottles| 308 L: Spelletich Lodi Sangiovese

"Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad wine"

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm
bhodilee wrote:pigeon post.

But I'm sure winefarm gets her fair share of PMs as well lady Cher

Thanks for defending me bowtie. I'll go further to mention, as you know, that I will not be available during the following events:
The entire Olympiad
World Cup Soccer (male or Female)
US Open tennis
Fresno State Football games (or baseball if they televise them here)
Girls' High school soccer and basketball seasons.

Other than that I'm all yours!

Sorry for the delay, Cheron. Should have an answer soon.

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity

"You like me, you really like me!"

"......not. No ms. sanity, it has nothing to do with like, we don't even know you, but everything to do with ... 'the random nature of the universe, and your permanent record from grammar school,' to quote a famous source."

I've been chosen to LabRat the 2004 Cabernet Sauvignon.

Now, to change dinner prep from Thai chicken satay and Asian slaw to....steak, maybe?

Thanks WD.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
winefarm wrote:Thanks for defending me bowtie. I'll go further to mention, as you know, that I will not be available during the following events:
The entire Olympiad
World Cup Soccer (male or Female)
US Open tennis
Fresno State Football games (or baseball if they televise them here)
Girls' High school soccer and basketball seasons.

Other than that I'm all yours!

Sorry for the delay, Cheron. Should have an answer soon.

tee hee Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you were neglecting us or anything. I'm just severely impatient danke!!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

kylemittskus

sanity wrote: :snip: been chosen to LabRat the 2004 Cabernet Sauvignon. :snip:

This is the wine that I am the most excited about. I will be impatiently awaiting your report.

kbiehl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kbiehl

You guys are the worst influence on me! I told myself I would not make any further wine.woot purchases for awhile...unless of course there is a petite syrah offering. After reading through the forum I find that I am not in for just one but two...and now I am kind of wishing I would have gone in for three!

Any South Floridian wooters out there? I would love to be part of a tasting...

smlauren

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smlauren

How is the button not bouncing?
WD & SB must have a thousand of these things.

439 Bottles
$8,531.53
Avg. cost per bottle $19.43

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
pfcouvar wrote:This may be a dumb question, but how do you know? I just naively believe mine...

Ironically, the only consistent purpose to which I've put it is to measure the temperature of my woot wines as they arrive in the summer.

It reads everything hot. Stuff sitting in a 72 degree office? 81 degrees. Food out of a 45 degree fridge? 65 degrees. etc. etc. etc.

It's the crappy pen one though, the gun-type ones might be better, but I doubt they're that great.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
smlauren wrote:How is the button not bouncing?

Seriously.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

MarkDaSpark

smlauren wrote:How is the button not bouncing?

And here I thought TimByrd had cleaned SB out on the way back from RPM Tour.

But really surprised it is not bouncing yet.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

andyduncan wrote:It reads everything hot. Stuff sitting in a 72 degree office? 81 degrees. Food out of a 45 degree fridge? 65 degrees. etc. etc. etc.

It's the crappy pen one though, the gun-type ones might be better, but I doubt they're that great.

Actually pretty cool. Works better than the smaller one for me. But the smaller one is handy for travel, but eats batteries too fast.

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
MarkDaSpark wrote:And here I thought TimByrd had cleaned SB out on the way back from RPM Tour.

But really surprised it is not bouncing yet.

I am glad its not bouncing yet...can't buy 'til after midnight.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

Wellington Wines web site currently list the following varietals as being available: Alicante Bouche, Cabernet Sauvignon, Grenache, Merlot, Syrah, and Zinfandel.

For people on the tour, or others: did Peter have any other red varietals at the tasting room that are not on the above list? What was available in his library wine section?

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

2ndIdentity

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 2ndIdentity
senorwilli wrote:Hey, I'm in El Paso. A mere hour or so drive. I'm in for a group tasting. anyone else in the area?

PS - WD thanks for the $4.98 birthday gift.

I was born and raised in El Paso... I don't miss it at all. Well, okay, I do miss the food. =)

auggie24

quality posts: 23 Private Messages auggie24
tkastorff wrote:Man that Cuvee R was bomb! Glad I still have a couple left!

I wish I had bought more. I have enjoyed one quietly with the wife. Shared another bottle with friends at a progressive dinner I went to. I will crack the final one this weekend on a wine cruise with a couple of friends up on Bald Eagle lake near White Bear lake... man, I wish I went in for the max, and gifted a couple as well.

I guess we all live and learn; but being as cheap as I am, it is hard to put out $125 in one setting.

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

After reading through this, I'm definitely going in for one. By the way, any tastings in northern California? I would love to do one. So excited for my wine. Hope it gets here soon.

Edited to say that this is my first post!!! =)

CAGrl

First sucker: MaskedMarvel
Speed to first woot: 0m 8.110s

Last wooter to woot: CAGrl

Woo hoo!

2ndIdentity

CAGrl wrote:After reading through this, I'm definitely going in for one. By the way, any tastings in northern California? I would love to do one. So excited for my wine. Hope it gets here soon.

Edited to say that this is my first post!!! =)

I think there was an informal one last year in San Jose. But I don't check the forums enough anymore to know if there have been more. There are definitely enough people in the area to do it.

CAGrl

2ndIdentity wrote:I think there was an informal one last year in San Jose. But I don't check the forums enough anymore to know if there have been more. There are definitely enough people in the area to do it.

I would definitely love to get more information on that from anyone. I'm not that far from San Jose.

I'm so excited I found this website because I was hoping to get into wines more so this is just perfect. Well, not for my wallet. =)

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
2ndIdentity wrote:I think there was an informal one last year in San Jose. But I don't check the forums enough anymore to know if there have been more. There are definitely enough people in the area to do it.

Never happened, I think.

I tried to get one organized, but the RPM tour overtook everything else.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 32 Private Messages ddeuddeg
duckduckgoose wrote:
I'll try to get a review up when I get home in a few hours.

Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
CAGrl wrote:I would definitely love to get more information on that from anyone. I'm not that far from San Jose.

I'm so excited I found this website because I was hoping to get into wines more so this is just perfect. Well, not for my wallet. =)

You have NO IDEA!!!!!

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

2ndIdentity

JOATMON wrote:Never happened, I think.

I tried to get one organized, but the RPM tour overtook everything else.

I thought JenMonkey put one together? I could be totally wrong BTW.

2ndIdentity

CAGrl wrote:I would definitely love to get more information on that from anyone. I'm not that far from San Jose.

Are you near Berlkeley? I wonder how many wine.wooters there are in the Berkeley area?

damightyanteater

quality posts: 12 Private Messages damightyanteater

I came here to watch the button bounce and am astounshed it has not.

Also, I didn't get a golden ticket today - anyone else get one? Do I still have a chance?

My last 5 woots:
  • Robert Craig Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon x2
  • Woot Cellars Boss Monster Zinfandel Six - Pack
  • Armida Winery Poizin Trio
  • Olivestri Siloro olio nuovo
  • Wellington Vineyard Designate Cabernet Trio

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 238 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
javadrinker wrote:Awesome side by side comparison MM. Just to expand on the '02 a bit, did you feel that this one was more like the other wines and had just gone past its sweet spot or was it just different all together?

SB, any comments on the differences during the growing seasons for each year?

2002 was marked by very challenging weather during harvest, including some 100 degree + heat spikes that in some cases caused sugar levels to go through the roof before the grapes were otherwise ripe. I don't remember much about 2003 - it was right before my hip replacement and I was in considerable pain; I'm told weather was average. 2004 was a dream, a lot like 2001 - an early start and then very even weather. As far as the Merlot goes, I think it shows more consistency and similarity year to year than any of our other wines. I'd probably give a slight nod to the 2004. Even though our Merlot is a serious wine it doesn't have a history of lasting as long as one might expect.

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
Loweeel wrote:Yes . The PSith have PowerS beyond your comPrehenSion.

i'm sorry for the uber childish post, PSith Master, but i every time that you write like this, well, this image pops into my head...

do you know... what biodynamics is?

duckduckgoose

quality posts: 3 Private Messages duckduckgoose

Labrat report for 2004 Merlot

Quick review: What are you waitng for?? Buy this before they sell out!

(Really)

More detailed review: This wine is a very good example of why merlot is so popular across the world...smooth, very easy to drink, feels great in the mouth, moderate complexity. A great wine to share with new and old wine lovers.

First glance: Beautiful deep ruby color. Clear.

First sniff: Nothing over-powering--blackberry, plum with a touch of cherry licorice. Later on, noticed a little leather and more pronounced blackberry.

First taste: mmmmm smooth, soft tannins, fairly well balanced---really like the way it feels in my mouth. Nice finish, no sudden drop-off. Palate feels like it is smiling.

This wine is fine on it's own...hard to imagine not finishing what you started with this bottle.

It also pairs well with moderately spicey food (tortellini with meat sauce tonight)...and would probably pair well with a wide range of food.

Can't wait to try Wellington's other wines in this three (four?)some.

Thanks woot!

Cheers!

kylemittskus

SonomaBouliste wrote: :snip: 2004 was a dream :snip:

YES!!! My excitement grows.

kylemittskus

CAGrl wrote: I'm so excited I found this website because I was hoping to get into wines more so this is just perfect. Well, not for my wallet. =)

Are you rich? No? Leave now and never return lest you give every penny you have to WineDavid and wine.woot.